Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? 13:28 - Mar 31 with 5314 viewsR_from_afar

A friend supports MK Dons, mainly because it is his local team, and posted the video of this goal on his Facebook page.

I have to admit it is quite something to be able to keep the ball for what seems like an age, but after watching the video for a while, you may start to think the clip is on auto repeat
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2577231285905651

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 13:37 - Mar 31 with 4565 viewsdannyblue

Got me this isn't a 56 pass goal, it's a 4 pass goal. The preceding 50ish don't threaten, nor do they contribute to pulling the opposition out of shape or tiring them or anything like that. It's the run at 2:56 that results in the pass at 3:00 that starts it up.
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 13:44 - Mar 31 with 4553 viewsphilc

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 13:37 - Mar 31 by dannyblue

Got me this isn't a 56 pass goal, it's a 4 pass goal. The preceding 50ish don't threaten, nor do they contribute to pulling the opposition out of shape or tiring them or anything like that. It's the run at 2:56 that results in the pass at 3:00 that starts it up.

This is the mistake that many teams & coaches make, they confuse possession with progressive football, when playing around at the back is really the modern day equivalent of the pass back.

Ball retention is important but teams must try to pass the ball forward and threaten, how many times have we endured this at the Bush, at least now we seem to try and go forward.
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 14:02 - Mar 31 with 4534 viewsdaveB

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 13:44 - Mar 31 by philc

This is the mistake that many teams & coaches make, they confuse possession with progressive football, when playing around at the back is really the modern day equivalent of the pass back.

Ball retention is important but teams must try to pass the ball forward and threaten, how many times have we endured this at the Bush, at least now we seem to try and go forward.

They would argue by keeping the ball for that long eventually the opposition try to force a mistake and come out of position and they then take advantage and score.
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 14:53 - Mar 31 with 4498 viewsNov77

Well done to anyone who stayed awake long enough to watch that goal go in.
Mind-numbingly tedious in the extreme watching that.

I heard a podcast with ex ranger Barry silkman recently. He’s an agent now. He said the reason modern footballers are doing all this endless impotent taking the easy option passing now is because of player stats. He’s says it’s ruining the game.

Every player has a dossier on them that measures things like ‘pass completion’ or ‘ball retention’ so players are incentivised to keep playing the easy pass backwards to an unmarked player, rather than try hitting a risky through ball, or trying to pick someone out with a cross. It goes against them on their stats if they give it away.

I thought wimbledon hoof ball was awful to watch, but this aimless passing sideways and backwards is just as bad. It’s no wonder you can often watch games now where you can go 15 to 20 minutes without either side having a shot at goal.

If you want an example of a good passing goal, it was gerry’s against Liverpool in 1975. One end of the pitch to the other, straight through the middle, ball never left the ground, 5 passes, goal, no fannying around.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 14:55 - Mar 31 with 4494 viewsEastR

shame none of the opposition considered putting in an actual challenge while that was unfolding

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 15:01 - Mar 31 with 4485 viewsJuzzie

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 14:02 - Mar 31 by daveB

They would argue by keeping the ball for that long eventually the opposition try to force a mistake and come out of position and they then take advantage and score.

That's exactly how Swanseola worked.

The media gushed all over them but watching it (moreso live at the game) was utterly dull.

Joe Allen got a big money move to Liverpool 'cos his pass completion rate etc 'stats' looked great. Gerrard said a few years later he was utterly frustrating to play with because none of his passes was forward/threatening etc. Always sidesways or backwards.
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 15:41 - Mar 31 with 4451 viewsR_from_afar

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 15:01 - Mar 31 by Juzzie

The media gushed all over them but watching it (moreso live at the game) was utterly dull.

Joe Allen got a big money move to Liverpool 'cos his pass completion rate etc 'stats' looked great. Gerrard said a few years later he was utterly frustrating to play with because none of his passes was forward/threatening etc. Always sidesways or backwards.

As my mate and I were leaving LR after Swansealona had hammered us 5-0, we were collared by some Swans fans who asked: "Tell me, are we (Swansea) boring?"

There were four of them and only two of us, so we told them of course they weren't LOL 😆

All joking apart, while they were younger than us and tough looking, we had quite a jolly chat as we tried to process the cruel way their team had just shattered our illusions.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 15:51 - Mar 31 with 4431 viewstoboboly

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 15:41 - Mar 31 by R_from_afar

As my mate and I were leaving LR after Swansealona had hammered us 5-0, we were collared by some Swans fans who asked: "Tell me, are we (Swansea) boring?"

There were four of them and only two of us, so we told them of course they weren't LOL 😆

All joking apart, while they were younger than us and tough looking, we had quite a jolly chat as we tried to process the cruel way their team had just shattered our illusions.

Should have mentioned all the times we destroyed them 4-0. And also rethink being friends with an MK Dons fan

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 16:52 - Mar 31 with 4369 viewsDWQPR

The longer I was watching that the more I thought that pass number 56 was going to be a punt upfield by the keeper.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:17 - Mar 31 with 4341 viewsCiderwithRsie

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 15:01 - Mar 31 by Juzzie

Well you have it there: the idea is that this way of playing is like Ajax/QPR circa 1975 turned up to another level, beautiful attacking football, but really it's essentially a defensive tactic - keep the ball and the oppo can't score.

I'm not totally against it, as with back-passes when they were allowed or the off-side trap, teams need defensive tactics and it's up to the other side to break it down. But any ultra-defensive side is boring to watch. You can play any of these systems and still be attacking (Venables' QPR played the off-side trap but were still good to watch) if you've got good enough attacking players and they're given licence to attack.

Ray Wilkins understood keep-ball but he wasn't boring to watch at QPR. He got that "always passes sideways" ("Ray The Crab Wilkins") criticism at England but IMO the problem was that England didn't use the ball to attack when he gave it to them - with us the full-backs were always pushing up, we had quite direct (but good) wingers and Les was always threatening, so Ray's pinpoint passes didn't look negative at all.
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:20 - Mar 31 with 4340 viewsTomS

I recall a spell of quick paced tiki taka football in the home match against 'Boro in September 2013. The midfield just went for it and the crowd joined in with the "Oles". It was a dominant home display and we ran them ragged, dragging them all over the pitch.

It was when the team were flying, just before McClaren left to take the Derby job.

I think the clip went viral. Does anyone still have it?
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:30 - Mar 31 with 4329 viewsrsonist

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:20 - Mar 31 by TomS

I recall a spell of quick paced tiki taka football in the home match against 'Boro in September 2013. The midfield just went for it and the crowd joined in with the "Oles". It was a dominant home display and we ran them ragged, dragging them all over the pitch.

It was when the team were flying, just before McClaren left to take the Derby job.

I think the clip went viral. Does anyone still have it?

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:11 - Mar 31 with 4299 viewsNov77

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:30 - Mar 31 by rsonist

I hope we were winning in both those games, otherwise we're doing the oppositions time wasting for them.
Did the club put those videos out?
Honestly, we didn't even a muster a shot at goal in either instance. I must have been there pointing towards the Loft, shouting "the goal's that way!"

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:14 - Mar 31 with 4297 viewsNov77

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:17 - Mar 31 by CiderwithRsie

Well you have it there: the idea is that this way of playing is like Ajax/QPR circa 1975 turned up to another level, beautiful attacking football, but really it's essentially a defensive tactic - keep the ball and the oppo can't score.

I'm not totally against it, as with back-passes when they were allowed or the off-side trap, teams need defensive tactics and it's up to the other side to break it down. But any ultra-defensive side is boring to watch. You can play any of these systems and still be attacking (Venables' QPR played the off-side trap but were still good to watch) if you've got good enough attacking players and they're given licence to attack.

Ray Wilkins understood keep-ball but he wasn't boring to watch at QPR. He got that "always passes sideways" ("Ray The Crab Wilkins") criticism at England but IMO the problem was that England didn't use the ball to attack when he gave it to them - with us the full-backs were always pushing up, we had quite direct (but good) wingers and Les was always threatening, so Ray's pinpoint passes didn't look negative at all.

I would say that every modern day footballer plays far more backwards and sideways passes than Ray Wilkins ever did.

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:33 - Mar 31 with 4285 viewsAntti_Heinola

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:11 - Mar 31 by Nov77

I hope we were winning in both those games, otherwise we're doing the oppositions time wasting for them.
Did the club put those videos out?
Honestly, we didn't even a muster a shot at goal in either instance. I must have been there pointing towards the Loft, shouting "the goal's that way!"

We were 4-0 down in both games would you believe. And afterwards the club put those out as if we were some kind of moral victors. Still fuming about it.

Bare bones.

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:35 - Mar 31 with 4284 viewsWatford_Ranger

Still don’t get who supports MK Dons and whoever they are deserve to be pariahs.

I’m sure your mate is a fine person though.
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:53 - Mar 31 with 4273 viewsR_from_afar

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:35 - Mar 31 by Watford_Ranger

Still don’t get who supports MK Dons and whoever they are deserve to be pariahs.

I’m sure your mate is a fine person though.

He was previously a half-hearted ManUre fan but gave MK Dons a try around seven or eight years ago because he lives close to Milton Keynes. He always gives me the impression that the club is very family oriented and inclusive; he and his kids have regularly had the chance to meet managers and players after games.

Given their - cough - "history" though, I can well understand why fans of other clubs would take a pretty dim view of them.

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 19:13 - Mar 31 with 4245 viewskensalriser

Is the art of tackling dead? Number of successful tackles per game must be in single digits these days. I get that backing off and reducing the attacking player's options is probably coached but the routine backing off drives me nuts. Get a tackle in you tart! Sure, a failed tackle could be viewed as a mistake, but so could allowing your opponent to get in a successful pass or cross.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 20:27 - Mar 31 with 4203 viewsTomS

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:30 - Mar 31 by rsonist

Thank you
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 20:35 - Mar 31 with 4194 viewsTGRRRSSS

IN the Secret Footballer bvook a few years ago he suggested "blocking" was more the thing buy that stage, quite often tackles that seem to "hurt" an opponent now even when you clearly won the ball are given as a foul
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 22:02 - Mar 31 with 4140 viewsMyke

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 17:17 - Mar 31 by CiderwithRsie

As you say, Wilkins 'crab' unjustified. but the clip here showing Mk Dons no 15 is 'crabism' at it's worst
[Post edited 31 Mar 2021 22:03]
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 22:10 - Mar 31 with 4128 viewsdaveB

It worked for them though, they got promoted and had several years in the prem, plus won a cup
56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 13:20 - Apr 1 with 4008 viewsloftboy

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 14:53 - Mar 31 by Nov77

Well done to anyone who stayed awake long enough to watch that goal go in.
Mind-numbingly tedious in the extreme watching that.

I heard a podcast with ex ranger Barry silkman recently. He’s an agent now. He said the reason modern footballers are doing all this endless impotent taking the easy option passing now is because of player stats. He’s says it’s ruining the game.

Every player has a dossier on them that measures things like ‘pass completion’ or ‘ball retention’ so players are incentivised to keep playing the easy pass backwards to an unmarked player, rather than try hitting a risky through ball, or trying to pick someone out with a cross. It goes against them on their stats if they give it away.

I thought wimbledon hoof ball was awful to watch, but this aimless passing sideways and backwards is just as bad. It’s no wonder you can often watch games now where you can go 15 to 20 minutes without either side having a shot at goal.

If you want an example of a good passing goal, it was gerry’s against Liverpool in 1975. One end of the pitch to the other, straight through the middle, ball never left the ground, 5 passes, goal, no fannying around.

Better example would be jay simpson v Reading

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 13:54 - Apr 1 with 3969 viewsBrianMcCarthy

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:53 - Mar 31 by R_from_afar

He was previously a half-hearted ManUre fan but gave MK Dons a try around seven or eight years ago because he lives close to Milton Keynes. He always gives me the impression that the club is very family oriented and inclusive; he and his kids have regularly had the chance to meet managers and players after games.

Given their - cough - "history" though, I can well understand why fans of other clubs would take a pretty dim view of them.

Ya, I couldn't defend anyone following them to be honest.

It's beyond the pale.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

56 pass goal (spoiler alert: Not by Barca): Brilliant or boring? on 18:38 - Apr 1 with 3869 viewsLazyFan

This style comes from the Italians who were the masters at keeping the ball to just defend and defend. As opposed to the Dutch who would keep the ball to attack.

This has crept into our game due to the stato! But as we are seeing with LTC he was asked to pass the ball forward and it improved his game before the injury. SAme with Chair, now asked to make runs through the middle, rather than hugging the side just to play pass around the triangles.

Warbs has improved these players, along with Dykes hold up play. Give Warbs time, he's improving the players and Evil Less is improving the squad.

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024