Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Done Lyndon 17:02 - Apr 10 with 13987 viewsNorthantsHoop

Well done Lyndon, tremendous game today, that 1st goal brilliant header. I had my doubts about him, but he has started to come on well since that Reading goal.
Well Done Lyndon on 16:03 - Apr 12 with 2046 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 15:48 - Apr 12 by Benny_the_Ball

So let me get this straight. QPR's poor start to the season was attributable to a lack of pre-season whilst Dykes' indifferent form was down to too much pre-season? I understand what you're getting at but you can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

No, just stating that Livingston started a month earlier than QPR so might have affected Dykes with the increase in games to what he was used.
Dykes was probably used to playing 40 games a season but by xmas he'd possibly played 30 already and had a preseason at both Livi and QPR?
Well Done Lyndon on 16:14 - Apr 12 with 2014 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Judging by this thread there appears to be 2 perspectives; those who think Lyndon has been poor and those who always see the sunny side regardless of form. I prefer to take a more balanced view. For club, Lyndon has been average but is showing signs of improvement.

I don't buy the line that QPR are shopping in the bargain basement therefore fans should temper their expectations accordingly. QPR are a professional football club competing in the 2nd tier of English football. It is not a nursery or feeder club. You don't compete in the championship by signing absolute novices. Conversely I don't expect the finished article from a striker signed from Scottish football for £1.6m, such is the market for strikers these days. What I do expect is an honest pro who works hard, is willing to learn and helps the club to at least achieve its targets for the season. As the club builds and its ambition rises, I expect said player to improve in tandem and become the finished article, at least by championship standards.

Based on the above I would say that whilst Lyndon hasn't set the world alight in QPR colours, he has made a positive contribution. Yes, there is still much of his game that is raw but his form for Scotland and recent improvement for club give me hope that he can get better if he wants to. Next season will be pivotal for Lyndon, particularly if Charlie doesn't stay.
Well Done Lyndon on 16:19 - Apr 12 with 2006 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Well Done Lyndon on 16:14 - Apr 12 by Benny_the_Ball

Judging by this thread there appears to be 2 perspectives; those who think Lyndon has been poor and those who always see the sunny side regardless of form. I prefer to take a more balanced view. For club, Lyndon has been average but is showing signs of improvement.

I don't buy the line that QPR are shopping in the bargain basement therefore fans should temper their expectations accordingly. QPR are a professional football club competing in the 2nd tier of English football. It is not a nursery or feeder club. You don't compete in the championship by signing absolute novices. Conversely I don't expect the finished article from a striker signed from Scottish football for £1.6m, such is the market for strikers these days. What I do expect is an honest pro who works hard, is willing to learn and helps the club to at least achieve its targets for the season. As the club builds and its ambition rises, I expect said player to improve in tandem and become the finished article, at least by championship standards.

Based on the above I would say that whilst Lyndon hasn't set the world alight in QPR colours, he has made a positive contribution. Yes, there is still much of his game that is raw but his form for Scotland and recent improvement for club give me hope that he can get better if he wants to. Next season will be pivotal for Lyndon, particularly if Charlie doesn't stay.

'What I do expect is an honest pro who works hard, is willing to learn and helps the club to at least achieve its targets for the season. As the club builds and its ambition rises, I expect said player to improve in tandem and become the finished article, at least by championship standards'

Good post.

Genuinely think this is what is happening before our very eyes, and not just with Lyndon. No one, even his fiercest critics can say he is lazy.
Well Done Lyndon on 16:21 - Apr 12 with 2001 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 16:14 - Apr 12 by Benny_the_Ball

I think your view is the same as the majority and certainly similar to mine.
You are right in that next season he has to have a higher standard, his patchy form will have to become more consistent and obviously that has to be more like his better form if he's to be classed as a success.
Playing to his best level I've no doubt he's an asset but when he was playing poorly it absolutely wasnt good enough.
Hopefully they've sussed out whatever it was and he's found a groove
Well Done Lyndon on 16:24 - Apr 12 with 1992 viewsfrancisbowles

Well Done Lyndon on 16:21 - Apr 12 by karl

I think your view is the same as the majority and certainly similar to mine.
You are right in that next season he has to have a higher standard, his patchy form will have to become more consistent and obviously that has to be more like his better form if he's to be classed as a success.
Playing to his best level I've no doubt he's an asset but when he was playing poorly it absolutely wasnt good enough.
Hopefully they've sussed out whatever it was and he's found a groove

Hopefully they won't be playing three matches in the international breaks next season.
Well Done Lyndon on 16:42 - Apr 12 with 1945 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 16:24 - Apr 12 by francisbowles

Hopefully they won't be playing three matches in the international breaks next season.

Yeah, for a country like Scotland there have been players pushed into all 3 and it hasn't helped them.
It's been a massive crush to get games played and the Championship is bad enough during a normal period, the fact we haven't suffered from an injury pile up has been spoken about and it does need praise
Well Done Lyndon on 17:46 - Apr 12 with 1888 viewsThe_Beast1976

The boy Dykes done good. Triffic lad. The right sort. Loves his mum.

In all seriousness, his determination to succeed deserves applause. Long may it continue
Well Done Lyndon on 22:11 - Apr 13 with 1734 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

5 in 5...
Login to get fewer ads

Well Done Lyndon on 22:16 - Apr 13 with 1700 viewsMyke

Well Done Lyndon on 22:11 - Apr 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

5 in 5...

... and double figures for the season. A certain Mr Austin might be struggling to get his place back! Delighted for Dykes, only he knows how rough things were during the winter. But the sun is literally shining on him now. Not unreasonable to think 15-20 goals next season with the right service
Well Done Lyndon on 22:21 - Apr 13 with 1677 viewsBrianMcCarthy

5 in 5.
Some fine hold-up play.
A great clearance at the back
MOTM again today - his 4th recently imo.

A lovely spell of form.

edit - spell check.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2021 22:53]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Well Done Lyndon on 09:55 - Apr 14 with 1434 viewsfrancisbowles

Well Done Lyndon on 22:21 - Apr 13 by BrianMcCarthy

5 in 5.
Some fine hold-up play.

A lovely spell of form.

edit - spell check.

Agree Brian. Brilliantly taken goal. (especially when you think back to some of his efforts when he was struggling and we had doubts about his footballing skill level).

A clear MOM for us last night. A couple of early concessions of the ball but after that settled into another great centre forward display.

After Middlesbrough we can give him a rest and say go on Charlie show us what you can do!
Well Done Lyndon on 10:01 - Apr 14 with 1420 viewscolinallcars

Amazing how well he's done lately. He was like a sleepy bear struggling to come out of hibernation - now, he's a lion.
Well Done Lyndon on 10:42 - Apr 14 with 1373 viewsParkRoyalR

Well Done Lyndon on 22:21 - Apr 13 by BrianMcCarthy

5 in 5.
Some fine hold-up play.

A lovely spell of form.

edit - spell check.

And last nights control and snap-shot finish was text book Charlie Austin - if I was Lyndon on the training ground I would look at Charlie and think we've got similar pace, similar ability technique wise, I can be as good as Austin in the air but why has he scored so many goals at this level - and the answer is be alert, keep moving, be aggressive, back yourself and whack it!

I believe these MOTM performances could well be down to Charlie's mentoring and instilling confidence in Lyndon that he has what is needed to thrive in the Championship so believe + back yourself, as he did with last night's finish.
Well Done Lyndon on 11:14 - Apr 14 with 1343 viewsstevec

Well Done Lyndon on 10:42 - Apr 14 by ParkRoyalR

And last nights control and snap-shot finish was text book Charlie Austin - if I was Lyndon on the training ground I would look at Charlie and think we've got similar pace, similar ability technique wise, I can be as good as Austin in the air but why has he scored so many goals at this level - and the answer is be alert, keep moving, be aggressive, back yourself and whack it!

I believe these MOTM performances could well be down to Charlie's mentoring and instilling confidence in Lyndon that he has what is needed to thrive in the Championship so believe + back yourself, as he did with last night's finish.

Have to admit, the way he took the ball down with one foot and hit it home with the other in one movement was exceptional.

The succession of headed goals and tap in still hadn’t convinced me, but last night showed he has something else in his repertoire, long may it continue.

As a rule I’m not interested in players musings but I’d make an exception to hear the lows and highs
of Dykes progression, struggling to recall such a radical change in a relatively short period.
Well Done Lyndon on 11:51 - Apr 14 with 1295 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Well Done Lyndon on 11:14 - Apr 14 by stevec

Have to admit, the way he took the ball down with one foot and hit it home with the other in one movement was exceptional.

The succession of headed goals and tap in still hadn’t convinced me, but last night showed he has something else in his repertoire, long may it continue.

As a rule I’m not interested in players musings but I’d make an exception to hear the lows and highs
of Dykes progression, struggling to recall such a radical change in a relatively short period.

Patrick Agyemang
Well Done Lyndon on 11:55 - Apr 14 with 1284 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes:

‘Well I was down on my luck and couldn’t see a way out of it, so thought I’d take my mind off things by cruising the amazing Frankie Knuckles thread on LfW when I noticed gazza and SteveC calling me a Conference footballer so I bucked my ideas up. Also coaching from Ramsey, Eustace, and Banfield and a change of formation and style helped a bit’.
Well Done Lyndon on 14:08 - Apr 14 with 1180 viewsgazza1

Mr Dykes played, last night, as I would have expected him to play all season.....took his goal very well indeed. Without going into detail about his performance, it was overall better, not perfect but better. Keep the improvements going.

Looking forward to watching him at MIddlesboro.
Well Done Lyndon on 14:12 - Apr 14 with 1176 viewsNorthernr

When we last went into the Prem, there was a lot of chat about how Austin wasn't good enough for the level. Missed a pen v Hull on the opening day, didn't score for a few weeks, team struggling, then he scored that unbelievable goal at Southampton, which was also a pull down with one foot and finish with the other, and off he went to 19 goals in a crap side. Dykes has just looked reinvigorated by finally getting a big goal for us at Reading.
Well Done Lyndon on 14:57 - Apr 14 with 1116 viewsMatch82

Well Done Lyndon on 11:51 - Apr 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Patrick Agyemang

I thought we all agreed that was a tear in the fabric of reality?
Well Done Lyndon on 15:09 - Apr 14 with 1096 viewsBrazilNutR

Having played as a striker myself (not professionally), I think it is very normal for a striker to go through these periods, especially after a change with new pressure. As soon as you score everything just gets easier, confidence improves, you stop thinking about things and return to playing with instinct... and suddenly everything you hit goes in. There will always be bad misses.. even from the world's best, and also good saves/tackles, that can start to make you think again and dwell on chances.. Also if you are on a hot streak, your team mates have more faith in you, and thus help to fuel the continued hot streak. Hopefully he can keep it going now until the end of the season and for Scotland and now has the experience of going through a lean spell to help him come through it next time it rears its head.
Well Done Lyndon on 22:42 - Apr 14 with 992 viewsaston_hoop

His best run since that 17 in 15 for Surfers Paradise Apollo in the Gold Coast Premier League 5 years ago...probably (thanks wiki)

He has spent the following 5 years stepping up levels quite dramatically and has proved he can handle every step up he faces given time. Glad he got the game time with us, clearly loved by the squad too.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Well Done Lyndon on 22:48 - Apr 14 with 980 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 15:09 - Apr 14 by BrazilNutR

Having played as a striker myself (not professionally), I think it is very normal for a striker to go through these periods, especially after a change with new pressure. As soon as you score everything just gets easier, confidence improves, you stop thinking about things and return to playing with instinct... and suddenly everything you hit goes in. There will always be bad misses.. even from the world's best, and also good saves/tackles, that can start to make you think again and dwell on chances.. Also if you are on a hot streak, your team mates have more faith in you, and thus help to fuel the continued hot streak. Hopefully he can keep it going now until the end of the season and for Scotland and now has the experience of going through a lean spell to help him come through it next time it rears its head.

But, it isnt just about scoring goals.....it was his overall contribution, it was very poor indeed.
Well Done Lyndon on 07:27 - Apr 15 with 881 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Well Done Lyndon on 22:48 - Apr 14 by gazza1

But, it isnt just about scoring goals.....it was his overall contribution, it was very poor indeed.

I genuinely don’t know what more he can do Gazza!
Well Done Lyndon on 08:22 - Apr 15 with 842 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 07:27 - Apr 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

I genuinely don’t know what more he can do Gazza!

Another performance like he did against Rotherham would be fine.....his performances prior to the recent few were very poor indeed (he couldn't even control a medicine ball or pass it 5 yards!!!) and anybody that thinks any different is not right, even with all the excuses being made for him. To be a professional footballer he should be able to play a whole lot better with basic skills - he showed a few at best and not very often.

Lets hope he has 'turned a corner', there have been signs.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 8:24]
Well Done Lyndon on 08:45 - Apr 15 with 822 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Well Done Lyndon on 08:22 - Apr 15 by gazza1

Another performance like he did against Rotherham would be fine.....his performances prior to the recent few were very poor indeed (he couldn't even control a medicine ball or pass it 5 yards!!!) and anybody that thinks any different is not right, even with all the excuses being made for him. To be a professional footballer he should be able to play a whole lot better with basic skills - he showed a few at best and not very often.

Lets hope he has 'turned a corner', there have been signs.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 8:24]

I think different, but I think it’s been established that I’m not right 😆

I’ve always thought he has done everything he needed to do except goals, and can’t remember him having a poor touch. Now he’s added goals (5 in 5 not just against Rotherham).
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 9:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024