Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Done Lyndon 17:02 - Apr 10 with 14068 viewsNorthantsHoop

Well done Lyndon, tremendous game today, that 1st goal brilliant header. I had my doubts about him, but he has started to come on well since that Reading goal.
Well Done Lyndon on 09:41 - Apr 15 with 2112 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well Done Lyndon on 08:45 - Apr 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think different, but I think it’s been established that I’m not right 😆

I’ve always thought he has done everything he needed to do except goals, and can’t remember him having a poor touch. Now he’s added goals (5 in 5 not just against Rotherham).
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 9:41]

I'm closer to your line of thinking, Bazz.

Sure, he had some bad games. No question.

Mostly, though, his hold-up play was decent enough, even in a lot of games through the goalless patch. It certainly showed promise. At worst, I thought he would be a good player next season but mightn't be ready in time to keep us up this season. Thankfully, that fear receded a long time ago.

As regards finishing, the misses weren't a worry as he was getting enough on target, percentage wise - what concerned me is that he wasn't getting enough shots in the first place.

Once we started to go more direct at the end of December his play started to improve another level again. And now the goals are coming, and he's also getting more shots away.

Austin has had some really poor games of late. It happens.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Well Done Lyndon on 09:42 - Apr 15 with 2106 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Well Done Lyndon on 09:41 - Apr 15 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm closer to your line of thinking, Bazz.

Sure, he had some bad games. No question.

Mostly, though, his hold-up play was decent enough, even in a lot of games through the goalless patch. It certainly showed promise. At worst, I thought he would be a good player next season but mightn't be ready in time to keep us up this season. Thankfully, that fear receded a long time ago.

As regards finishing, the misses weren't a worry as he was getting enough on target, percentage wise - what concerned me is that he wasn't getting enough shots in the first place.

Once we started to go more direct at the end of December his play started to improve another level again. And now the goals are coming, and he's also getting more shots away.

Austin has had some really poor games of late. It happens.

It’s the nature of being a striker I guess. Going to have smooth and rough patches as chances and confidence ebb and flo.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 10:51]
Well Done Lyndon on 09:46 - Apr 15 with 2098 viewsfrancisbowles

Well Done Lyndon on 08:45 - Apr 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think different, but I think it’s been established that I’m not right 😆

I’ve always thought he has done everything he needed to do except goals, and can’t remember him having a poor touch. Now he’s added goals (5 in 5 not just against Rotherham).
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 9:41]

I think the truth is somewhere in between Baz. He has never been terrible but the longer he was waiting for that elusive goal, the more his overall form declined. He did, at times, have a bad touch and poor passing. He did snatch at a few presentable chances. However, he kept going, kept working for the team and even when moved around to accommodate Austin, did the job he was asked to do.

Last night there were a couple of early occasions when he lost possession but then he settled into another MOM performance. I have always thought he was a good buy, albeit I and the club would have preferred Keifer Moore, and would be a good target man but that header on Saturday and especially that goal last night were surprises even to me. I didn't think he had that high level of skill in 'his locker'.
Well Done Lyndon on 15:35 - Apr 15 with 1942 viewsgazza1

Seriously, I would prefer to say that Dykes has been excellent, and he was and has been much much better in recent matches and I hope that continues because if it does we have more chance of getting 3 points per game......but he has overall been very poor, he has not controlled the ball well, he has not laid off good passes, he has not shown up well, he has not made good runs, he has not scored goals.....he really has not!!!

I cannot understand why anybody can see anything else....it doesn't take a full time coach or a professional footballer to see that he just hasn't 'done it'. I would suggest that Lyndon Dykes himself would say, if he is being honest to himself, that he has been shxt this season.

Look I say what has been done, has been done, lets look at future games and see how he goes because we can all see he has gotten much better.
Well Done Lyndon on 15:58 - Apr 15 with 1909 viewsParkRoyalR

Well Done Lyndon on 15:35 - Apr 15 by gazza1

Seriously, I would prefer to say that Dykes has been excellent, and he was and has been much much better in recent matches and I hope that continues because if it does we have more chance of getting 3 points per game......but he has overall been very poor, he has not controlled the ball well, he has not laid off good passes, he has not shown up well, he has not made good runs, he has not scored goals.....he really has not!!!

I cannot understand why anybody can see anything else....it doesn't take a full time coach or a professional footballer to see that he just hasn't 'done it'. I would suggest that Lyndon Dykes himself would say, if he is being honest to himself, that he has been shxt this season.

Look I say what has been done, has been done, lets look at future games and see how he goes because we can all see he has gotten much better.

I would say he has done 4 of your 6 points, and Scotland fans would argue he has done all 6 or maybe a different 4, so surely the question is why the recent improvement in positional play and taking his chances - it's a combination of 3 things I think - 1) Improved quality in our Midfield altho still no way near on par with Scotland's 2) Austin has taken the burden off a player who was expected to score 20+ by many fans, with Eze maybe, without, never 3) Confidence boosted by playing with Austin and also maybe being rested as his difficult spell came off the back of quite a few international games maybe....Conor he is not!
Well Done Lyndon on 16:19 - Apr 15 with 1871 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well Done Lyndon on 15:35 - Apr 15 by gazza1

"Look I say what has been done, has been done, lets look at future games and see how he goes because we can all see he has gotten much better."

Agreed, Gazza. I think we're all in broad agreement that he has improved anyway. After that, we're only tripping over words.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Well Done Lyndon on 15:29 - Apr 17 with 1719 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Conference level striker can add 3 assists to his 10 goals!
Well Done Lyndon on 15:39 - Apr 17 with 1650 viewsnix

Well Done Lyndon on 15:29 - Apr 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

The Conference level striker can add 3 assists to his 10 goals!

Five goals and two assists in six matches!
Login to get fewer ads

Well Done Lyndon on 16:20 - Apr 17 with 1576 viewsswisscottage

He certainly has stepped it up since he got back in the starting line up.

If he keeps this up he's going to become one of my favourite players in this team. I've been rooting for him all season.

Today his link up play was excellent, and his cross for Wallace's goal showed a level of ability he was struggling to reach earlier on in the season when he was seriously struggling for confidence.

Its probably a mixture of more time on the training pitch and coaching beginning to have effect, alongside getting his confidence back.

Long may it continue.
Well Done Lyndon on 16:46 - Apr 17 with 1508 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 15:39 - Apr 17 by nix

Five goals and two assists in six matches!

Done OK today, involved in both goals, Done well with the cross for the Wallace goal.
Well Done Lyndon on 16:51 - Apr 17 with 1499 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 16:46 - Apr 17 by gazza1

Done OK today, involved in both goals, Done well with the cross for the Wallace goal.

Edit
Sorry misread your post Gazza!
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 16:52]
Well Done Lyndon on 16:53 - Apr 17 with 1486 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 16:51 - Apr 17 by karl

Edit
Sorry misread your post Gazza!
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 16:52]

What did you misread Karl.....
Well Done Lyndon on 17:00 - Apr 17 with 1454 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 16:53 - Apr 17 by gazza1

What did you misread Karl.....

I misread it as; 'ok overall', which was fine and can be argued although a little harsh imo but the bit I misread was 'he did well with the cross', I thought you said OK for that as well and I commented that it was better than ok and made your other judgements on him weaker.
Nothing controversial!
Well Done Lyndon on 17:03 - Apr 17 with 1444 viewsdmm

I've had to defend Dykes for much of the season, constantly saying I beleived he'd come right for us. Having watched him closely playing for Scotland it was obvious he was far better than his disappointing performances for us in the first half of the season. It seems Austin coming in gave him a real boost and since then he's not looked back with all his goals, assists and increased level of performances in almost every game.

I don't think he'll ever be a free scoring striker but there can be no doubt now that he's a good target man who will work hard, be a great team player and will wade in with an acceptable tally of goals for a no. 9.
Well Done Lyndon on 17:09 - Apr 17 with 1400 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 17:00 - Apr 17 by karl

I misread it as; 'ok overall', which was fine and can be argued although a little harsh imo but the bit I misread was 'he did well with the cross', I thought you said OK for that as well and I commented that it was better than ok and made your other judgements on him weaker.
Nothing controversial!

Stick with me Karl , I am an poster who expects high levels but I am very fair....I give credit when credit is due and he is now getting some credit after a poor start - i dont do excuses why he has or anyone plays badly.
Well Done Lyndon on 17:14 - Apr 17 with 1386 viewskarl

Well Done Lyndon on 17:09 - Apr 17 by gazza1

Stick with me Karl , I am an poster who expects high levels but I am very fair....I give credit when credit is due and he is now getting some credit after a poor start - i dont do excuses why he has or anyone plays badly.

Haha, no problem Gazza.

BTW you need to edit your post. The 'an poster' makes me want to read it as 'an imposter' and that can't be true!

Only jesting, no interest if everyone had exactly same opinions etc👍
Well Done Lyndon on 19:15 - Apr 17 with 1267 viewsnix

Well Done Lyndon on 16:20 - Apr 17 by swisscottage

He certainly has stepped it up since he got back in the starting line up.

If he keeps this up he's going to become one of my favourite players in this team. I've been rooting for him all season.

Today his link up play was excellent, and his cross for Wallace's goal showed a level of ability he was struggling to reach earlier on in the season when he was seriously struggling for confidence.

Its probably a mixture of more time on the training pitch and coaching beginning to have effect, alongside getting his confidence back.

Long may it continue.

I agree, although I still think he showed flashes of his ability previously but didn't string it together.

Also interestingly he had almost as many assists last season (8) as goals (9), in 25ish? matches, so he's not so much an out and out striker, he brings a bit more, which we're seeing now.
Well Done Lyndon on 19:25 - Apr 17 with 1249 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A Gazza compliment is rarer than rocking horse shit!

[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 19:30]
Well Done Lyndon on 19:42 - Apr 17 with 1175 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bloody great cross that today for the second goal. I honestly never thought he had that in him. I love it when players surprise me with stuff like that.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Well Done Lyndon on 20:15 - Apr 17 with 1086 viewsbosh67

Playing like a monster now.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Well Done Lyndon on 20:44 - Apr 17 with 1039 viewsMyke

How many assists has he got for the season now? He had a few early on; Ball v Cardiff and Chair v Watford, come to mind
Well Done Lyndon on 21:42 - Apr 17 with 926 viewsgazza1

Well Done Lyndon on 20:44 - Apr 17 by Myke

How many assists has he got for the season now? He had a few early on; Ball v Cardiff and Chair v Watford, come to mind

Assists eh....yea give him an assist for the dickie goal because he passed it to him. Rubbish assist, not real at all....but stats will say different and why I take limited notice of stats.
Well Done Lyndon on 09:58 - Apr 18 with 802 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Well Done Lyndon on 21:42 - Apr 17 by gazza1

Assists eh....yea give him an assist for the dickie goal because he passed it to him. Rubbish assist, not real at all....but stats will say different and why I take limited notice of stats.

But yet goals are a stat that you take notice of?

Gazza1 "In open play, up to the recent times, he has been very poor indeed. Stats will show you that."

Well Done Lyndon on 10:05 - Apr 18 with 792 viewsGloryHunter

You sound just like the bloke who sits behind me in the Upper Loft, and spends every minute moaning at the players and saying how rubbish they are. Hang on - maybe you are the bloke who sits behind me in the Upper Loft?
Well Done Lyndon on 10:22 - Apr 18 with 757 viewsLythamR

Well at least take note of your own eyes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024