Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your Staycation 21:00 - Apr 16 with 4444 viewsToast_R

Arrived on the Isle of Wight today. No school parties on the ferry, plenty of space, first on and off, it was bliss. Did get a seagull divebomb my freshly valeted car as I was alighting the Red Funnel though, a right paint peeler. Literally - shit happens. Weather has been top notch for mid April, off to the Needles tomorrow and a bit a look round Queen Vic's old gaff.

Also booked and AirBnb to the Mumbles in South Wales in August. Taking it all in.

Anyone else not chancing abroad this year and booked a UK holiday?
Your Staycation on 17:33 - Apr 18 with 962 viewsWokingham_r

Your Staycation on 21:34 - Apr 16 by hantssi

It’s a “new” one, a fully refurbished 1980’s ex underground trains now!

Being a pedant
It runs from Ryde to Shanklin

but not atm, because they are upgrading the train stock and line
Your Staycation on 19:00 - Apr 18 with 897 viewsHayesender

Got my house up for sale in the Bush atm. Looking at moving down to west Sussex, so my holiday this summer will hopefully be house hunting in the west Sussex area.

Anyone wanna buy a house in Shepherd's Bush for £1.25 million?

Slight discount for season ticket holders

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Your Staycation on 23:58 - Apr 18 with 844 viewsManinBlack

Your Staycation on 17:33 - Apr 18 by Wokingham_r

Being a pedant
It runs from Ryde to Shanklin

but not atm, because they are upgrading the train stock and line

Yes they are doing work to enable the bigger ex District Line underground trains to fit on the line. These have replaced the 1938 ex Bakerloo line trains withdrawn at the end of 2020. Before they arrived in the 1980's the trains were formed of 1923 ex Piccadilly line stock. An island of cast offs from London since the end of steam....
Your Staycation on 10:36 - May 5 with 701 viewslondonscottish

The Mrs tried to book a week on the IOM but the renter took the place off the market suddenly as she'd decided to sell it.

Having a week in Dorset instead and one in Norfolk. Both in August. Did something similar last year (Wales/Norfolk) and it was great. Bikes on the roof of the car, walking boots in the back. Lots of long hill walks/beach walks/cycle rides.

Also got a wedding in Edinburgh next month. Get in.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Your Staycation on 12:17 - May 5 with 669 viewssimmo

Interested in looking into some Staycations myself this year, but the problem is neither my mrs or I drive, so finding somewhere that feels like a mini-holiday without a car is a bit of a ballache.

Anybody got any experience of car-free breaks that have been particularly good?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Your Staycation on 12:24 - May 5 with 665 viewsloftboy

Your Staycation on 12:17 - May 5 by simmo

Interested in looking into some Staycations myself this year, but the problem is neither my mrs or I drive, so finding somewhere that feels like a mini-holiday without a car is a bit of a ballache.

Belfast, great pubs for starters, the titanic experience, tour of Crumlin road gaol, coach trip to the giants causeway which stops at carrickfurgus castle on the way and Bushmills distillery on the way back. Had a blinding week there a couple of years ago, flew into George best airport which is less than a tenners taxi ride from the centre.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Your Staycation on 12:31 - May 5 with 648 viewsdaveB

Weymouth is pretty easy to get to by train and usually good. Got a week booked in Weymouth in the summer, we usually drive due to the kids but we only use the car to get down there and then home. Loads of buses get you most places and a lot of it is walkable. They have a great harbor with loads of good bars plus a good beach
Your Staycation on 12:34 - May 5 with 637 viewssimmo

Your Staycation on 12:24 - May 5 by loftboy

Belfast, great pubs for starters, the titanic experience, tour of Crumlin road gaol, coach trip to the giants causeway which stops at carrickfurgus castle on the way and Bushmills distillery on the way back. Had a blinding week there a couple of years ago, flew into George best airport which is less than a tenners taxi ride from the centre.

My old work has an office there and I've loads of mutual friends that are now living there, so it's up there for a weekend visit but not sure about Staycation. I do really rate Belfast though, I've only ever been to the centre really and did the Titanic Museum etc (which was great) - but the pubs and bars are brilliant and they've got lovely restaurants, etc. Always liked it there

Login to get fewer ads

Your Staycation on 12:38 - May 5 with 627 viewssimmo

Your Staycation on 12:31 - May 5 by daveB

Weymouth is pretty easy to get to by train and usually good. Got a week booked in Weymouth in the summer, we usually drive due to the kids but we only use the car to get down there and then home. Loads of buses get you most places and a lot of it is walkable. They have a great harbor with loads of good bars plus a good beach

Funnily enough was just looking at a place in the New Forest which is 10mins from a train station and offered access to Weymouth - among other places - as day trips. That's where I'm leaning, as there's walks, bike rides and it's not far from places like Isle of Wight for the day, etc once you're there. I used to go to New Forest every year as a kid too, so it's got some nostlgia for me. Cheers for the rec

Your Staycation on 14:18 - May 5 with 557 viewsMaggsinho

The North Norfolk coast? Stay somewhere like Holt, Burnham Market or Wells with access to pubs and restaurants and you can get buses along the coast or take the steam train.
Your Staycation on 16:49 - May 5 with 508 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Another one for Weymouth been there a few times in the last 5 years. Always been lucky with the weather, not always burning hot but very pleasant. Portland to the south is an interesting day trip. Nice ferry ride or can get the bus or cycle easily. Did a walk round the southern half of it including Portland Bill 2 years ago on a barmy day and it was stunning.

A couple of places not mentioned yet.

Whitstable on the north Kent coast. Easy to get too from London by train. Good public transport to nearby towns and cities - Faversham, Canterbury, Margate and Broadstairs. Sandwich and Deal and the North Downs not far off.

Lewes in East Sussex. Again easy to get to. Good access to Brighton, Eastbourne Hastings. South downs on your doorstep, Beachy Head and Seven Sisters. Good beer!

Not sure about spending a whole week in either though. Maybe 3 days in Lewes followed by 4 days in Whitstable would be a nice holiday.
[Post edited 5 May 2021 16:50]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Your Staycation on 17:10 - May 5 with 487 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Your Staycation on 12:38 - May 5 by simmo

Funnily enough was just looking at a place in the New Forest which is 10mins from a train station and offered access to Weymouth - among other places - as day trips. That's where I'm leaning, as there's walks, bike rides and it's not far from places like Isle of Wight for the day, etc once you're there. I used to go to New Forest every year as a kid too, so it's got some nostlgia for me. Cheers for the rec

I went camping in Brockenhurst about 15 or so years ago. Didn't do much walking but I imagine it's great there. I did hire a bike for a few days and went day touring around. Got as far west as Ringwood but in hindsight I wouldn't bother going out that far again. One day I cycled down to Lymington and got the ferry to Yarmouth IOW with my bike and did a loop around that part of the island. Down to Freshwater and Freshwater Bay then up the cliffs by the golf course, luckily wind assisted as it's quite steep in parts. Then cross country back to Yarmouth. Very nice spot that.

Only thing I have planned so far is my cricket team's "last ever" tour (again) to North Norfolk staying in Cromer.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024