Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer transfer rumours thread 12:34 - May 13 with 214339 viewsFrankRightguard

I’ll start with a bit of Twitter tittle tattle, Andre Dozzell from Ipswich

Summer transfer rumours thread on 16:27 - Jun 21 with 6012 viewsterryb

Summer transfer rumours thread on 14:39 - Jun 21 by derbyhoop

Nobody can explain this enough to satisfy everybody.
The money from Eze gave us the chance to invest in several players.
The chances of repeating that sort of transfer in the next 10 years is highly unlikely.

So far, an estimated 7m (out of 15m initial payment??) has gone out.
This Summer, Cameron, Carroll and Lumley have gone, who were the only ones likely to have been on significant wages. Smyth and Oteh would have been on peanuts. Kane is still on the books.

There are some positions where we would struggle to find adequate replacements should a serious injury take one of the key players.
CB is certainly one of those, especially if Masterson is sent on loan. The chances of Barbet playing a full season again and Dickie playing 43 League games and De Wijs being fit for every game are in the realm of fanciful.
There are possibles, none of which are ideal (Kakay, Wallace, Ball and Field). I'm not convinced any of the U23s are capable of stepping up.
Similarly if Austin or Dykes were out for a long time, could we cope?

But, it has to come down to what we can afford.

But isn't this the same for nearly every club?

Even Forest might start realising that they can't afford more than a squad of 25 soon!
Summer transfer rumours thread on 16:47 - Jun 21 with 5904 viewsStainrod

The chances of repeating that sort of transfer in the next 10 years is highly unlikely.

This Summer, Cameron, Carroll and Lumley have gone, who were the only ones likely to have been on significant wages. Smyth and Oteh would have been on peanuts. Kane is still on the books.

There are some positions where we would struggle to find adequate replacements should a serious injury take one of the key players.
CB is certainly one of those, especially if Masterson is sent on loan. The chances of Barbet playing a full season again and Dickie playing 43 League games and De Wijs being fit for every game are in the realm of fanciful.
There are possibles, none of which are ideal (Kakay, Wallace, Ball and Field). I'm not convinced any of the U23s are capable of stepping up.

But the club runs at a big loss! The Eze money was mainly swallowed up I imagine in reduced revenue due to covid. I get that fans want better and better and more and more players but I would be delighted if we got Johansen even if it meant not getting anyone else. With that team in 2021 we are currently the third best team in the Championship, if results are any reflection. I would settle for that. Sure Cox looks a good prospect so would be great to get him and kakay looks a bit agricultural if he remains our first choice right back, but if that is what we can afford, so be it. Masterson would benefit from another full season uninterrupted by injury in League One but if he becomes our main reserve centre half and plays 20 odd games next season, he's looked good to me and in a three main centre defence I will have every confidence in him.

Johansen to me is the difference between a mid-table and a play-off team. He must be the priority, anyone else would be the icing on the cake. Johansen is a large part of the actual cake.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 17:10 - Jun 21 with 5843 viewsQPROslo

Of course it must come down to what we can afford. I said IDEALLY I'd like us to bring in 3 CB's as cover on the basis that we play 3 at the back. If Masterson goes back out on loan as I understand is the plan, we should have 1 player as cover for those 3 remaining CB' s that we have left, as for every position.

If we cannot afford to go that far, so be it, we have players that can play there if necessary, but I reckon bringing in 1 or 2 CB's depending on whether Masterson goes out or not, as cover recognised CB's is as high a priority as maintaining the number of midfielders we now have, or bringing in 2 more WB's rather than just the 1. As you say DW, Barbet and Dickie staying fit and not suspended all season is fanciful.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 17:15]
Summer transfer rumours thread on 18:35 - Jun 21 with 5618 viewsrsonist

I see Cardiff have picked up Mark McGuinness from Arsenal U23s, who had a decent spell on loan at Ipswich last season by all accounts. That's a sort of CB signing I could still see us making, but it would only be another Masterson situation where their need to get games to develop runs counter to our need for squad depth, and keeping them around just in case only harms the investment.

Daniel Ballard also at Arsenal who was at Blackpool last year is meant to be quite good too.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 18:37]
Summer transfer rumours thread on 19:06 - Jun 21 with 5550 viewsdmm

We do have some promising youngsters who play CB but I think the coming season is too early in their development for any of them to be considered for the first team.

Most of us know Joe Gubbins, but he's still 19 and has only been out on loan at Oxford City in the National League South. Themis Kefalas is older at 21 and was last on loan at National League side Barnet where by all accounts he did well. Franklin Domi, a youth international for Albania, seems good prospect.

There are others but, along with Joe, Themis and Franklin, they have a way to go down the heralded pathway to the first team squad.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 19:18 - Jun 21 with 5485 viewsbosh67

Summer transfer rumours thread on 19:06 - Jun 21 by dmm

We do have some promising youngsters who play CB but I think the coming season is too early in their development for any of them to be considered for the first team.

Most of us know Joe Gubbins, but he's still 19 and has only been out on loan at Oxford City in the National League South. Themis Kefalas is older at 21 and was last on loan at National League side Barnet where by all accounts he did well. Franklin Domi, a youth international for Albania, seems good prospect.

There are others but, along with Joe, Themis and Franklin, they have a way to go down the heralded pathway to the first team squad.

I have high hopes for Gubbins and Masterson.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Summer transfer rumours thread on 20:59 - Jun 21 with 5257 viewsHanwellHoopster

Not sure if anyone else was following the 'QPR ITK' twitter account from the last few weeks, but I've just noticed that it's been deleted. I appreciated 99.99% of Twitter is a load of nonsense, but that account seemed remarkably accurate. Fits that it's now disappeared if it was genuine and they've clamped down on the leak.

I notice that Sean Gallagher's twitter has also now become private? I presume no link to the above, but annoying as he was reliable for info. Stuck with West London Sport as the only mostly reliable source now I guess.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 08:36 - Jun 22 with 4849 viewseastside_r

Barnsley manager Ismael to West Brom
Login to get fewer ads

Summer transfer rumours thread on 08:39 - Jun 22 with 4828 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Summer transfer rumours thread on 08:36 - Jun 22 by eastside_r

Barnsley manager Ismael to West Brom

That'll be interesting to see if this derails Barnsley's Moneyball machine, or how much of Barnsley's improvement was down to the manager?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Summer transfer rumours thread on 08:49 - Jun 22 with 4799 viewsgazza1

Summer transfer rumours thread on 08:39 - Jun 22 by BrianMcCarthy

That'll be interesting to see if this derails Barnsley's Moneyball machine, or how much of Barnsley's improvement was down to the manager?

Barnsley were a tough side to play against, for us anyways, last season. probably down to him but who knows.

But now lots of pressure up there.....it will be very different at WBA.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2021 15:23]
Summer transfer rumours thread on 10:14 - Jun 22 with 4579 viewsrsonist

Summer transfer rumours thread on 08:39 - Jun 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Same machine behind the scenes, though obviously Ismael put his own mark on that continuity

What will be interesting now is presumably they'll now be unable to pop over to Austria and pick up another coach as they have been doing pre-Brexit.

WBA were always looking at a squad revamp this summer but without a DOF to put things together quickly for Ismael you'd imagine this will be a test of his adaptability and flexibility to begin with. No legs in that squad as it stands.

Mowatt on an immediate free will probably be nailed on.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 10:38 - Jun 22 with 4502 viewsrsonist

Summer transfer rumours thread on 09:53 - May 16 by Northernr

I fcking love Luke O'Nien. Basically 'the right sort' personified.

On Dozzell, my Ipswich oppo says we've definitely watched him but Blackburn are very keen and although Bonne is from Ipswich this is the first he's heard of it and thinks they're looking elsewhere for a striker.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/luke-onien-sunderla

Warnock in for O'Nien does seem an obvious fit.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 10:46 - Jun 22 with 4472 viewsdmm

Summer transfer rumours thread on 10:38 - Jun 22 by rsonist

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/luke-onien-sunderla

Warnock in for O'Nien does seem an obvious fit.

We were linked with O'Nien before Warburton took a shine to Odubajo.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 11:42 - Jun 22 with 4354 viewsStainrod

Summer transfer rumours thread on 10:14 - Jun 22 by rsonist

Same machine behind the scenes, though obviously Ismael put his own mark on that continuity

What will be interesting now is presumably they'll now be unable to pop over to Austria and pick up another coach as they have been doing pre-Brexit.

WBA were always looking at a squad revamp this summer but without a DOF to put things together quickly for Ismael you'd imagine this will be a test of his adaptability and flexibility to begin with. No legs in that squad as it stands.

Mowatt on an immediate free will probably be nailed on.

Re Mowatt was hoping he would remain available so we could go for him if we can't get Johansen but as you say WBA would be a logical move for him now.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 14:12 - Jun 22 with 4097 viewsA40Bosh

Summer transfer rumours thread on 16:47 - Jun 21 by Stainrod

But the club runs at a big loss! The Eze money was mainly swallowed up I imagine in reduced revenue due to covid. I get that fans want better and better and more and more players but I would be delighted if we got Johansen even if it meant not getting anyone else. With that team in 2021 we are currently the third best team in the Championship, if results are any reflection. I would settle for that. Sure Cox looks a good prospect so would be great to get him and kakay looks a bit agricultural if he remains our first choice right back, but if that is what we can afford, so be it. Masterson would benefit from another full season uninterrupted by injury in League One but if he becomes our main reserve centre half and plays 20 odd games next season, he's looked good to me and in a three main centre defence I will have every confidence in him.

Johansen to me is the difference between a mid-table and a play-off team. He must be the priority, anyone else would be the icing on the cake. Johansen is a large part of the actual cake.

not sure what the latest is on here regarding the JoJo rumours on, but my mate who is one of Konk's chief lieutenants known as "The Head" has told me that the clubs have agreed the fee on JoJo but they want any incoming manager to decide on whether Fulham keep JoJo if Parker does leave.

So it may still happen

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Summer transfer rumours thread on 17:29 - Jun 22 with 3821 viewsSharpy36

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/wednesday-windass-stance-mill

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Summer transfer rumours thread on 17:31 - Jun 22 with 3816 viewscaliforniahoop

Summer transfer rumours thread on 18:35 - Jun 21 by rsonist

I see Cardiff have picked up Mark McGuinness from Arsenal U23s, who had a decent spell on loan at Ipswich last season by all accounts. That's a sort of CB signing I could still see us making, but it would only be another Masterson situation where their need to get games to develop runs counter to our need for squad depth, and keeping them around just in case only harms the investment.

Daniel Ballard also at Arsenal who was at Blackpool last year is meant to be quite good too.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 18:37]

Neil Banfield knows those lads inside out, if he isn’t going for them, I suspect it’s not worth it.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 18:31 - Jun 22 with 3605 viewsdmm

Summer transfer rumours thread on 17:29 - Jun 22 by Sharpy36

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/wednesday-windass-stance-mill

I like Windass and think he'd do well with us but with Cox and Johansen still to fork out for, I can't see it happening.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 22:25 - Jun 22 with 3304 viewsSharpy36

Summer transfer rumours thread on 18:31 - Jun 22 by dmm

I like Windass and think he'd do well with us but with Cox and Johansen still to fork out for, I can't see it happening.

You could well be right, but sending them Bonne in PX plus some cash might get it over the line. There`s also the MW link which could swing it.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Summer transfer rumours thread on 10:31 - Jun 23 with 2975 views89_50

Seeing Nathan Collins go for up to £15m underlines how much we were arguably short-changed over the Eze sale.

Eze played more games in one season for us than Collins has made senior appearances in his (albeit fledgling) career.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 10:38 - Jun 23 with 2947 viewsrsonist

Yeah, any club wanting a mobile dominant 6ft 3 teen centre back really missed a trick not buying Eze.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 14:11 - Jun 23 with 2697 viewsrsonist

Cardiff going back to Crewe to pick up highly-rated passing DM Ryan Wintle on a free, reportedly.

As mentioned above, their previous signing from there Perry Ng was in the running for player of the season from right wing-back after signing in January. Crewe's LWB Harry Pickering begins the season at Blackburn meanwhile.

Will be interesting to see how Wintle and Pickering step up in comparison to our more academy-centric strategy. Not saying Cardiff and Blackburn mightn't have outbid us on wages anyway but all three of those cost about the same as Dozzell, and 500k isn't enough for Cox it seems.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2021 14:14]
Summer transfer rumours thread on 15:14 - Jun 23 with 2572 viewsdmm

It would be good to get Cox through the door before preseason starts which can't be much more than a week or so away.
Summer transfer rumours thread on 19:33 - Jun 23 with 2361 viewsNorthernr

Perennial LFW favourite Ryan Woods in at Birmingham
Summer transfer rumours thread on 19:52 - Jun 23 with 2297 viewsrsonist

Hadn't been reported/announced but per Alan Nixon here:

That went well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024