Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Countdown to Sunday. 23:07 - Jul 8 with 3403 viewsMick_S

It’s like looking forward to your holiday when you were seven. I have racking to assemble, and because I’m feckin’ useless at that sort of thing, it will take around 3 days to complete. Dog needs walking at least 6 times if I can fit it in. Grass is cut, that’s a bugger because there’s a few minutes there. Shopping being delivered so we can’t waste an hour or two there. Can’t start drinking yet.

Any tips?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Countdown to Sunday. on 23:32 - Jul 8 with 1826 viewsBoston

Drive carefully.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Countdown to Sunday. on 07:23 - Jul 9 with 1721 viewsPaddyhoops

Looking forward to the game. Thankfully without the pressure England fans will be undoubtedly be feeling.
Good luck to all involved 👍
Countdown to Sunday. on 07:28 - Jul 9 with 1710 views80s_Boy

Don't drink too much.

Savour the day - win or lose - and try to take it all in as they don't happen often.

I remember speaking to someone about 1982 and they were delighted that we went to a replay against Spurs not because we had held out for a draw as the underdog, but because they were so drunk on the Saturday that they had no memories of the day.

If we win you will definitely regret not being able to remember it or having patchy memories at best.
Countdown to Sunday. on 08:39 - Jul 9 with 1657 viewsRangersw12

Getting incredibly nervous and just want the day to arrive

Getting to the pub at midday on Sunday to soak in the atmosphere
Countdown to Sunday. on 08:46 - Jul 9 with 1642 viewsRangersDave

Not nervous at all, cannot give a flying fcuk about the england team or their manager.

Been on this planet 56 years and seen the hype and tragedy too often to get excited anymore.

Too many peeps using it as an excuse the get blathered, and fair enough i suppose. but talk of knighthoods for the manager and the team this morning leave me billious.

Football is sick, some of it terminal, apart from my team who i have supported since i was 6 months old, i dont care for ahything else. I'm just surprised SKY havnt moved the match to a monday afternoon to fit their schedule.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Countdown to Sunday. on 08:52 - Jul 9 with 1631 viewsTheChef

Countdown to Sunday. on 08:46 - Jul 9 by RangersDave

Not nervous at all, cannot give a flying fcuk about the england team or their manager.

Been on this planet 56 years and seen the hype and tragedy too often to get excited anymore.

Too many peeps using it as an excuse the get blathered, and fair enough i suppose. but talk of knighthoods for the manager and the team this morning leave me billious.

Football is sick, some of it terminal, apart from my team who i have supported since i was 6 months old, i dont care for ahything else. I'm just surprised SKY havnt moved the match to a monday afternoon to fit their schedule.

Sorry you feel that way.

Just look forward to the game and avoid all the media b0ll0cks, it's easy enough to do really.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Countdown to Sunday. on 09:09 - Jul 9 with 1611 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Countdown to Sunday. on 07:28 - Jul 9 by 80s_Boy

Don't drink too much.

Savour the day - win or lose - and try to take it all in as they don't happen often.

I remember speaking to someone about 1982 and they were delighted that we went to a replay against Spurs not because we had held out for a draw as the underdog, but because they were so drunk on the Saturday that they had no memories of the day.

If we win you will definitely regret not being able to remember it or having patchy memories at best.

+1

My local team in West Cork won their Championship in 1997, the only time in my life time.

The street parties went on all night. I was driving so didn't touch a drop. I remember it all so clearly, all the small details, all the lovely conversations between people of different generations, all the shared joy.

Great advice, 80s_Boy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Countdown to Sunday. on 09:22 - Jul 9 with 1575 views80s_Boy

Countdown to Sunday. on 08:46 - Jul 9 by RangersDave

I get that 100%.

I hate a lot more about modern football than I like:

* The post-96 Middle class

* The way EVERY match has to be an event

* The pretend rivalries (look at us and Reading FFS)

* The loan system

* The way fans have become so partisan

* People 'cosplaying' football 'fans'

I could honestly go on for a lot longer.

However, at the middle of all this is still the game I fell in love with when I was nearly 4 years old and I was sat at my nan's table watching highlights of a QPR vs Chelsea boxing day match that my Dad had been to. (I've been lucky that my memory can stretch back to such a young age)

Sure, some things aren't what they used to be - VAR for example - but what think I'm trying say is try to overlook the obvious things wrong with football circa 2021 and don't let it ruin something you love.
Login to get fewer ads

Countdown to Sunday. on 09:50 - Jul 9 with 1505 viewsdaveB

I can't wait for it although am not sure i will survive it, almost collapsed the other night as couldn't breathe after the Kane goal.

The stress, anxiety of is all is a nightmare but I've not been this excited about a game of football since the playoff final.

Fair enough if you are not interested in how the national team gets on, i get that to be honest but for me it's a lifetime of wanting to see this. I watched the highlights again last night and could feel the tears coming again, part of it all is just seeing crowds at games and how joyful it all looks, i've missed that so much
Countdown to Sunday. on 10:04 - Jul 9 with 1478 viewsAntti_Heinola

It's genuinely a team, and particularly a manager, to be proud of in so many ways. Miles different to the so-called Golden Generation who killed off a lot of love for the England team for me. When they lost in 2006 to Portugal, Gerrard looking like a scared little boy in the penalties, I'd had enough, and I've never really regained the same passion. In a lot of ways, I wish this had happened when I was a lot younger, when I could still be swept up in it a bit more.
I think it's quite easy to avoid the hype (I'm working at home, I don't look at the papers much and it doesn't seem particularly mental to me - no more than it would be in any other country); I can't stand the sneering at middle class fans from some - football can and should be enjoyed by everyone; but the start of this tournament left a sour taste. The abuse directed at our players and manager (a fundamentally decent human being who has the respect of the whole squad), the booing of taking the knee, and the booing of the opposition anthems is profoundly pathetic. That nonsense was stamped out a while back - at least mostly - but something over recent history has persuaded idiots that it's acceptable again. My friends in Denmark were shocked at the disrespect.
I want us to win, and most people will celebrate and be delighted and happy and wonderful. But I also dread the future verses of 'two world wars and one world cup' and the likely reaction from hypocrites like Johnson and Patel who will no doubt leap on it with glee.

On the other hand, I think Italy will probably win! It should be a fantastic match though - probably the right final over the course of the tournament, they've been the two best teams I think, and I cannot wait!

Bare bones.

Countdown to Sunday. on 10:04 - Jul 9 with 1477 viewsstowmarketrange

Countdown to Sunday. on 09:50 - Jul 9 by daveB

I can't wait for it although am not sure i will survive it, almost collapsed the other night as couldn't breathe after the Kane goal.

The stress, anxiety of is all is a nightmare but I've not been this excited about a game of football since the playoff final.

Fair enough if you are not interested in how the national team gets on, i get that to be honest but for me it's a lifetime of wanting to see this. I watched the highlights again last night and could feel the tears coming again, part of it all is just seeing crowds at games and how joyful it all looks, i've missed that so much

We can have a dress rehearsal tomorrow at Hampton if there’s enough of a crowd.Beers thrown in the air every time we score,and mass hugging all round.
I can’t wait to get to a game involving qpr for the first time in 16 months.Is that all it is,just 16 months since the Birmingham game?It seems so much longer than that.
Countdown to Sunday. on 10:19 - Jul 9 with 1435 viewsdaveB

Countdown to Sunday. on 10:04 - Jul 9 by stowmarketrange

We can have a dress rehearsal tomorrow at Hampton if there’s enough of a crowd.Beers thrown in the air every time we score,and mass hugging all round.
I can’t wait to get to a game involving qpr for the first time in 16 months.Is that all it is,just 16 months since the Birmingham game?It seems so much longer than that.

I'm waiting till the first league game before i go to QPR again, I'm too much of an emotional wreck to handle that as well at the moment
Countdown to Sunday. on 10:23 - Jul 9 with 1426 viewsStanisgod

Do your own shopping 😉

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:09 - Jul 9 with 1340 viewsdaveB

on Sunday afternoon Channel 4 are showing a repeat of the 66 final and ITV showing The Italian Job so some good options there
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:11 - Jul 9 with 1332 views80s_Boy

Countdown to Sunday. on 10:04 - Jul 9 by Antti_Heinola

It's genuinely a team, and particularly a manager, to be proud of in so many ways. Miles different to the so-called Golden Generation who killed off a lot of love for the England team for me. When they lost in 2006 to Portugal, Gerrard looking like a scared little boy in the penalties, I'd had enough, and I've never really regained the same passion. In a lot of ways, I wish this had happened when I was a lot younger, when I could still be swept up in it a bit more.
I think it's quite easy to avoid the hype (I'm working at home, I don't look at the papers much and it doesn't seem particularly mental to me - no more than it would be in any other country); I can't stand the sneering at middle class fans from some - football can and should be enjoyed by everyone; but the start of this tournament left a sour taste. The abuse directed at our players and manager (a fundamentally decent human being who has the respect of the whole squad), the booing of taking the knee, and the booing of the opposition anthems is profoundly pathetic. That nonsense was stamped out a while back - at least mostly - but something over recent history has persuaded idiots that it's acceptable again. My friends in Denmark were shocked at the disrespect.
I want us to win, and most people will celebrate and be delighted and happy and wonderful. But I also dread the future verses of 'two world wars and one world cup' and the likely reaction from hypocrites like Johnson and Patel who will no doubt leap on it with glee.

On the other hand, I think Italy will probably win! It should be a fantastic match though - probably the right final over the course of the tournament, they've been the two best teams I think, and I cannot wait!

That's an excellent post, Antti, but I have a couple of points to challenge.

* Middle class fans *

I think its very important to understand that although football was predominately attended by Working Class fans, there was a sizable amount of Middle Class fans too: they were the posh gits who sat in SAR or Ellersiie!

The problem is those who came after 96 and jumped on a bandwagon and those who came afterwards. They didn't like the traditional football environments they found and have led - directly and indirectly - to sterile grounds and atmospheres stripped of key parts of our culture.

I'm from a council estate and discovered theatre in my early 30s but at no point did I set out to change aspects of a predominantly middle-class culture because I couldn't relate to it.

* Booing *

Everything which could be said about the knee has been and no-one is going to change their opinion. What I will say is that it is freedom of choice for the players to take the knee, freedom of choice for fans to ignore, clap or boo the gesture.

Even if I find some of the players' arguments too simplified for a complex problem or accusations of Marxism ludicrous, everyone is entitled to hold or express opinions. The players who kneel are niave to think that everyone sees the gesture as necessary or free from any political connotations and the fans who boo are niave to think that their actions wont be scruntisied and lead to people forming incorrect opinions of their motives.

With regards to the booing of National Anthems, and possibly this covers part of the effect of post-96 Middle Class, it is a tradition which grew in the 70s and is, mostly, pantomime. It is also carried out by fans across the globe in a number of sports and, as I said in another thread, I have heard GSTQ booed all over Europe and almost to a man we laughed it off.

Most people see it for what it is and although I appreciate that some may be offended, the majority of people I hear moan about it are offended on behalf of others. The same as 'Ten German Bombers'. If you read some opinions expressed in columns or Twitter you would think Germans are incredibly offended by this and yet, on the contrary, in Dortmund in 2017 they were joining in with us outside and inside the stadium. The shock and disgust of, normally, middle-class observers came as a huge shock to us when we got back to England the following day...

Same as "two World Wars and One World Cup".

Not all parts of Working Class culture will be relatable to the middle class but that doesn't make it acceptable to try and change it.
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:15 - Jul 9 with 1321 viewsfrancisbowles

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:09 - Jul 9 by daveB

on Sunday afternoon Channel 4 are showing a repeat of the 66 final and ITV showing The Italian Job so some good options there

Black and white or colour and who's commentary?
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:18 - Jul 9 with 1311 viewsdaveB

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:15 - Jul 9 by francisbowles

Black and white or colour and who's commentary?

No idea, I imagine at least one of the redknapps will pop up in it
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:21 - Jul 9 with 1303 viewsfrancisbowles

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:11 - Jul 9 by 80s_Boy

That's an excellent post, Antti, but I have a couple of points to challenge.

* Middle class fans *

I think its very important to understand that although football was predominately attended by Working Class fans, there was a sizable amount of Middle Class fans too: they were the posh gits who sat in SAR or Ellersiie!

The problem is those who came after 96 and jumped on a bandwagon and those who came afterwards. They didn't like the traditional football environments they found and have led - directly and indirectly - to sterile grounds and atmospheres stripped of key parts of our culture.

I'm from a council estate and discovered theatre in my early 30s but at no point did I set out to change aspects of a predominantly middle-class culture because I couldn't relate to it.

* Booing *

Everything which could be said about the knee has been and no-one is going to change their opinion. What I will say is that it is freedom of choice for the players to take the knee, freedom of choice for fans to ignore, clap or boo the gesture.

Even if I find some of the players' arguments too simplified for a complex problem or accusations of Marxism ludicrous, everyone is entitled to hold or express opinions. The players who kneel are niave to think that everyone sees the gesture as necessary or free from any political connotations and the fans who boo are niave to think that their actions wont be scruntisied and lead to people forming incorrect opinions of their motives.

With regards to the booing of National Anthems, and possibly this covers part of the effect of post-96 Middle Class, it is a tradition which grew in the 70s and is, mostly, pantomime. It is also carried out by fans across the globe in a number of sports and, as I said in another thread, I have heard GSTQ booed all over Europe and almost to a man we laughed it off.

Most people see it for what it is and although I appreciate that some may be offended, the majority of people I hear moan about it are offended on behalf of others. The same as 'Ten German Bombers'. If you read some opinions expressed in columns or Twitter you would think Germans are incredibly offended by this and yet, on the contrary, in Dortmund in 2017 they were joining in with us outside and inside the stadium. The shock and disgust of, normally, middle-class observers came as a huge shock to us when we got back to England the following day...

Same as "two World Wars and One World Cup".

Not all parts of Working Class culture will be relatable to the middle class but that doesn't make it acceptable to try and change it.

Booing the National Anthems is a tradition that in 2021 really needs to stop.

As a nation, we have few friends around the world. We should be doing what we can to repair and enhance our reputation and booing anthems or the players beliefs and choices is going to have the opposite effect.
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:22 - Jul 9 with 1299 viewsfrancisbowles

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:18 - Jul 9 by daveB

No idea, I imagine at least one of the redknapps will pop up in it

That's it, a walk would be preferable even if it's in a thunderstorm!

I need the TV to be in one piece for Sunday evening.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 11:23]
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:27 - Jul 9 with 1277 viewswillis1980

Countdown to Sunday. on 09:09 - Jul 9 by BrianMcCarthy

+1

My local team in West Cork won their Championship in 1997, the only time in my life time.

The street parties went on all night. I was driving so didn't touch a drop. I remember it all so clearly, all the small details, all the lovely conversations between people of different generations, all the shared joy.

Great advice, 80s_Boy.

im currently watching A murder in West Cork on Netflix which is helping to distract me from the football. The detectives accent is so bizarre, at points he rolls his Rs in a way that Ive only really heared Israelis do.
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:28 - Jul 9 with 1276 viewsPhildo

Countdown to Sunday. on 10:04 - Jul 9 by Antti_Heinola

Very accurate about the golden generation being so hard to like and nice to think these players will put a few of them out of work on the punditry circuit when they retire. Golden my rRse
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:35 - Jul 9 with 1249 views80s_Boy

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:21 - Jul 9 by francisbowles

Booing the National Anthems is a tradition that in 2021 really needs to stop.

As a nation, we have few friends around the world. We should be doing what we can to repair and enhance our reputation and booing anthems or the players beliefs and choices is going to have the opposite effect.

I think it's quite possible that this 'damage to our reputation' may be exaggerated by some to be completely honest.

If we were still relatively popular across the continent despite idiots rampaging through towns and cities - and ferries if they were West Ham/Man Utd fans - whenever England or club sides played abroad, I cant see booing National Anthems or some people booing the knee is having as big an impact as some think. Especially when most see it as odd rather than offensive if they don't find it pantomime esque.

Even Brexit hasn't made us as unpopular as some suspect with many friends I speak to - from a whole array of countries - saying they and most of their friends/family are envious of us leaving the bloc and hopeful for their own referendums to do so.

I think a big problem here is the persistence in trying to guess what others may be thinking about us as those who do have a habit of getting it wrong.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 11:42]
Countdown to Sunday. on 11:45 - Jul 9 with 1208 viewsMaggsinho

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:35 - Jul 9 by 80s_Boy

I think it's quite possible that this 'damage to our reputation' may be exaggerated by some to be completely honest.

If we were still relatively popular across the continent despite idiots rampaging through towns and cities - and ferries if they were West Ham/Man Utd fans - whenever England or club sides played abroad, I cant see booing National Anthems or some people booing the knee is having as big an impact as some think. Especially when most see it as odd rather than offensive if they don't find it pantomime esque.

Even Brexit hasn't made us as unpopular as some suspect with many friends I speak to - from a whole array of countries - saying they and most of their friends/family are envious of us leaving the bloc and hopeful for their own referendums to do so.

I think a big problem here is the persistence in trying to guess what others may be thinking about us as those who do have a habit of getting it wrong.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 11:42]

There's a difference to some idiots fighting to booing the national anthem that represents the tradition, history and beliefs of a nation.

When you boo the anthem you boo the country which is why it's so disrepectful.
Countdown to Sunday. on 12:10 - Jul 9 with 1163 views80s_Boy

Countdown to Sunday. on 11:45 - Jul 9 by Maggsinho

There's a difference to some idiots fighting to booing the national anthem that represents the tradition, history and beliefs of a nation.

When you boo the anthem you boo the country which is why it's so disrepectful.

And as I said, it is done across the globe by a number of different nationalities a whole array of different sports.

For example, have you seen a major fight involving a Mexican? The fans always boo the National Anthem of their opponent regardless of where he is from. American fans are also equally guilty as are fans from across the globe.

We don't have discussions within boxing about it because it is accepted as tribalism.

Why is there a difference? Because, and this goes back to the points I raised to Antti, although Boxing has seen an increase in middle-class fans, those who aren't traditional fans accept the culture they found. ​

I've never been offended when I've heard GSTQ being booed and no-one I spoke to who was also there was offended either. Likewise, I've never spoken to friends/family who have been offended when their anthem was booed by England or other fans.

It could be that we're unique and the ones at odds with the general consensus but I suspect we're not and the offended on behalf of others - whose intentions are admirable if misplaced - need to possibly stop and ask themselves if they have the right to speak for and on behalf of others.

Interesting discussion.
Countdown to Sunday. on 12:53 - Jul 9 with 1115 viewsterryb

Football is for the working classes?

The roots are very much with the upper class & public schools, thus all the early winners of the FA Cup came from that class. I will certainly agree that this changed with the advent of professionalism & brought about the saying "Football is for gentlemen but played by hooligans & Rugby is for hooligans & played by gentlemen".

The middle class, at least the ones I know, have always been footballing people & not interested in Rugby Union. It was very much the culture of the youth of the middle class in the '60's to combine football with fighting on the terraces.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024