Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread 13:04 - Jul 10 with 36383 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think I’ve been quite lucky so far no?

Well managed England play will defeat the Italians by the odd goal.

Here’s me putting the gauntlet down:

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 12 with 1309 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:52 - Jul 12 by gazza1

Well, if this is fact then Southgate is doing something that I have never experienced and I would suggest not what most Managers would do.

I think the clue is in the word manager. To manage, make decisions. Of course decisions are reached by talking to his team and finding out who wants to and who doesn't want to take a penalty. However, he is the manager, he has the final say.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 12 with 1308 viewsPhilmyRs

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:41 - Jul 12 by gazza1

OK, it doesn't look too measured to me. Says he's been fantastic then pulls him apart for the rest of the post!!!

If you look at my criticisms it’s around one specific point — his in game management. I could have relayed the togetherness he’s brought to the team, the fact he’s managed to handle 4 or 5 players not playing, that in another era would have been definite starters, he’s removed some of the previous cliques that formed around England camps. His decision in the opening game and the selections he made were vital to us winning. The bottle he showed in switching to a back 3 against Germany and the potential stick he’d have got if it had backfired, to only ship in 2 goals in the whole tournament is unbelievable really. His use of the Rice/Phillips partnership, something I thought would never prove successful has in fact been instrumental in our success — backing Shaw over Chilwell, Walker over James, Pickford over Pope, Sterling over 3 or 4 alternatives have been inspired decisions.

But twice now we’ve been knocked out in games where we’ve gone in at halftime winning and being the better side, and then there’s been a total role reversal and we’ve been pummelled and we’ve been unable to respond. In 2018 he was new to the game and the squad was not perhaps there for him. This time, it was history repeating but there were options on that bench, he could have tried something a bit left field, been a bit creative. I don’t know, it may have had an impact on the momentum and who knows, maybe even the result. I just think he’s a reflective person that wants to better himself, and whilst he’s certainly improved in every other facet of his management game, I do think his in game decision making still needs some work.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 12 with 1292 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread (n/t) on 11:07 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

That’s not my point. I’m talking about players who ruled themselves out not ruled themselves in.

If Saka, Rashford, or Sancho said ‘no thanks gaffer’ I’m certain they wouldn’t be taking one.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 11:10]

A Manager would NOT force a player to take a penalty if he did not want to except in training!!!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:09 - Jul 12 with 1284 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 12 by francisbowles

I think the clue is in the word manager. To manage, make decisions. Of course decisions are reached by talking to his team and finding out who wants to and who doesn't want to take a penalty. However, he is the manager, he has the final say.

& your point is??
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:10 - Jul 12 with 1278 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:06 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

Unprofessional from Grealish there.

Understandable but unprofessional nevertheless.

it's disappeared. What did he say?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:11 - Jul 12 with 1271 views80s_Boy

Just read that Saka has never taken a penalty in a first team match for Arsenal...
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:12 - Jul 12 with 1252 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:08 - Jul 12 by PhilmyRs

If you look at my criticisms it’s around one specific point — his in game management. I could have relayed the togetherness he’s brought to the team, the fact he’s managed to handle 4 or 5 players not playing, that in another era would have been definite starters, he’s removed some of the previous cliques that formed around England camps. His decision in the opening game and the selections he made were vital to us winning. The bottle he showed in switching to a back 3 against Germany and the potential stick he’d have got if it had backfired, to only ship in 2 goals in the whole tournament is unbelievable really. His use of the Rice/Phillips partnership, something I thought would never prove successful has in fact been instrumental in our success — backing Shaw over Chilwell, Walker over James, Pickford over Pope, Sterling over 3 or 4 alternatives have been inspired decisions.

But twice now we’ve been knocked out in games where we’ve gone in at halftime winning and being the better side, and then there’s been a total role reversal and we’ve been pummelled and we’ve been unable to respond. In 2018 he was new to the game and the squad was not perhaps there for him. This time, it was history repeating but there were options on that bench, he could have tried something a bit left field, been a bit creative. I don’t know, it may have had an impact on the momentum and who knows, maybe even the result. I just think he’s a reflective person that wants to better himself, and whilst he’s certainly improved in every other facet of his management game, I do think his in game decision making still needs some work.

Game Management is massive, proper massive when the team are struggling.....you suggest that he does not get that part correct.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:14 - Jul 12 with 1246 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:10 - Jul 12 by francisbowles

"I said I wanted to take one!!!!
The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…"
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:15 - Jul 12 with 1242 viewsDWQPR

One player I would have had on the pitch yesterday was Grealish for Mount. To be honest I don't get the love in with Mount, I really don't see what he brings to the party when compared to Grealish. Grealish is a flair player and we lacked that extra bit of flair last night. He can retain the ball and spot a pass that not many others can and he draws fouls. I also don't understand why all of a sudden Saka is ahead of Sancho. Sancho was superb against Ukraine and yet Saka goes back ahead of him. But to be honest I think most of us at the start of the tournament would have taken a trip to the final and that is what the team has achieved. We've beaten the Germans in a knock out phase, we've got the monkey off our back with regards to the semi final and to be quite frank, after saving two penalties, we should have won the bloody thing. The team can only improve given the age of the players. And hopefully by Qatar 2022 the likes of Grealish are first on the team sheet.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:15 - Jul 12 with 1240 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:10 - Jul 12 by francisbowles

Along the lines of ‘Gareth got decisions right in this tournament including tonight, but I did put my hand up for a penalty but didn’t get picked’.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:17 - Jul 12 with 1209 viewsParkRoyalR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:15 - Jul 12 by DWQPR

One player I would have had on the pitch yesterday was Grealish for Mount. To be honest I don't get the love in with Mount, I really don't see what he brings to the party when compared to Grealish. Grealish is a flair player and we lacked that extra bit of flair last night. He can retain the ball and spot a pass that not many others can and he draws fouls. I also don't understand why all of a sudden Saka is ahead of Sancho. Sancho was superb against Ukraine and yet Saka goes back ahead of him. But to be honest I think most of us at the start of the tournament would have taken a trip to the final and that is what the team has achieved. We've beaten the Germans in a knock out phase, we've got the monkey off our back with regards to the semi final and to be quite frank, after saving two penalties, we should have won the bloody thing. The team can only improve given the age of the players. And hopefully by Qatar 2022 the likes of Grealish are first on the team sheet.

Mount is apparently a more defensively minded 10 than Grealish.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:20 - Jul 12 with 1184 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:09 - Jul 12 by gazza1

& your point is??

traininvain posted:

"It is down to me," said Southgate of the penalty misses.

"I decided on the penalty-takers based on what they have done in training.

"Nobody is on their own. We have won together as a team and it is on all of us together to not be able to win this game.

"In terms of penalties, it is my call and it totally rests with me."

You responded:
'Well, if this is fact then Southgate is doing something that I have never experienced and I would suggest not what most Managers would do.'

My point is that when it was said that the manager decides on the penalty takers, you seemed to suggest that in your experience this wasn't the case and not what normally happens. I replied that is part of his job, what a manager does, makes decisions.

Or if you still don't get the point:

Gazza, you are wrong on this!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:22 - Jul 12 with 1176 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:15 - Jul 12 by DWQPR

Grealish didn't do much either to be honest. Think Mount is a very good player but didn't play well last night, Foden was the big miss.

A real missed opportunity though, this is gonna be a tough one to get over
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:32 - Jul 12 with 1109 viewsRs_Holy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:22 - Jul 12 by daveB

Grealish didn't do much either to be honest. Think Mount is a very good player but didn't play well last night, Foden was the big miss.

A real missed opportunity though, this is gonna be a tough one to get over

disagree Dave.... in the 20 minutes he got on the pitch he got us a few free kicks and tried to link up with other attacking players. Mount was anonymous for pretty much the whole game.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:34 - Jul 12 with 1100 viewsStanFan

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:33 - Jul 12 by Konk

I don't think we tried to park the bus from scoring the first goal. We were looking good until about twenty minutes, gave the ball away 5-6-7 times in a short period of time, and a very good Italian side started to take more and more control. It always seemed to me that we needed to be at our absolute best and hope that Italy weren't quite at theirs, because Italy had looked a better side during the tournament.

We took too long to change things around when we were unable to see any of the ball, and I think we got everything wrong with the penalties - the selected players and lack of game time - but Southgate hasn't got much wrong this tournament, and we far exceeded most people's expectations. Being solid ahead of everything else gave us a platform to win right up until the final, when we came up against excellent opposition, and it wasn't quite enough.

I saw the match the same way as Konk. England's plan to start with wing backs and go wide against Italy's back 3 was exactly the right tactic. It got us the goal and meant that we were on top at the start of the match.

Italy worked it out and got on top with several substitutions. The only criticism of Southgate is that he didn't work out how to counter that. England didn't try to park the bus - they were outplayed by a good Italy team and couldn't get out. Eventually we switched to 4 at the back and strengthened the midfield. This and our fitness levels meant that we got back into it in extra time - albeit without threatening that much.

Hard to comment on the choice of penalty takers with no knowledge. In my opinion it wouldn't make sense to keep your best penalty taker to 5th as it could be all over before he gets his turn. Also I did wonder whether the Italians had seen our penalty practice as their keeper seemed to go left every time.

Overall we had a good tournament even if it ended in disappointment. I don't buy that this sets us up well for the World Cup. It's tough to get to a major final however good you are and there will be more good teams at the WC. So disappointing not to win this time.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:39 - Jul 12 with 1075 viewsBostonR

Southgate did an amazing job, but I thought he made a poor decision on the penalties.

Of nine penalty shoot-outs in competitions Eng have only won two, so we were never going to win it with penalties.

We should have gone for the Italians in extra-time with the pace we had on the bench as the two Italian centre-backs were on yellow cards. I would rather lose it in extra-time, but I feel with Rashford and Sancho on the pitch for the last 30 mins - we win that game.

As an aside, I watched the game in London Bridge with a group of mates. I was totally ashamed of some of the riotous behaviour I witnessed. What the feck is happening to this country? We have allowed a mob mentality to prevail and it is going un-checked. Shameful, embarrassing and dangerous.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:39 - Jul 12 with 1074 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:32 - Jul 12 by Rs_Holy

disagree Dave.... in the 20 minutes he got on the pitch he got us a few free kicks and tried to link up with other attacking players. Mount was anonymous for pretty much the whole game.

Not saying he didn't try and I really like Grealish but he didn't do a great deal when he came on, similar to the semi final. problem was more getting the ball to Mount and Grealish rather than either of them as players
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 11:40]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:41 - Jul 12 with 1063 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:34 - Jul 12 by StanFan

I saw the match the same way as Konk. England's plan to start with wing backs and go wide against Italy's back 3 was exactly the right tactic. It got us the goal and meant that we were on top at the start of the match.

Italy worked it out and got on top with several substitutions. The only criticism of Southgate is that he didn't work out how to counter that. England didn't try to park the bus - they were outplayed by a good Italy team and couldn't get out. Eventually we switched to 4 at the back and strengthened the midfield. This and our fitness levels meant that we got back into it in extra time - albeit without threatening that much.

Hard to comment on the choice of penalty takers with no knowledge. In my opinion it wouldn't make sense to keep your best penalty taker to 5th as it could be all over before he gets his turn. Also I did wonder whether the Italians had seen our penalty practice as their keeper seemed to go left every time.

Overall we had a good tournament even if it ended in disappointment. I don't buy that this sets us up well for the World Cup. It's tough to get to a major final however good you are and there will be more good teams at the WC. So disappointing not to win this time.

" I don't buy that this sets us up well for the World Cup"

If we don't let the penalties affect us then it's a great platform to build on next year but we can't get carried away. We can't allow ourselves to become convinced that we would have definitely won it with another manager, different tactics or different penalty takers but it is a positive platform to build on.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:52 - Jul 12 with 989 viewsfrancisbowles

Some random thoughts.

Media going on about Italy's four World cups and two European Championships. Two of the World Cups were in the 1930's and their other Euro was a four team European Nations cup finals tournament in 1968. So a decent record but not a brilliant one.

The extra time against Denmark was a factor in our running out of steam. We looked so full of energy that night but that thirty mins combined with a days less rest took their toll.

Southgate got virtually all of his decisions correct before last night. All managers have to much numerous decisions and no one gets them all right. Unfortunately, last night was the time that Gareth probably got few wrong.

If the referee had issued one or possibly two red cards then we might not be in a deep depression today.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:57 - Jul 12 with 966 viewsCiderwithRsie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:39 - Jul 12 by daveB

Not saying he didn't try and I really like Grealish but he didn't do a great deal when he came on, similar to the semi final. problem was more getting the ball to Mount and Grealish rather than either of them as players
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 11:40]

My feeling was that all of our impact subs were either wide players or strikers - Grealish, Saka, Rashford - but what we needed from about 55 minutes on was someone to grab hold of the central mid, win us a bit of possession, calm things down and allow Shaw, Trippier and Walker to resume the runs that were so dangerous in the first half.

Henderson was presumably meant to do that but it didn't work. Maybe if he'd come on for Mount instead of Rice, I dunno. Maybe he's just not good enough. We didn't have the Foden option either though I'm not sure he's the tough old pro we needed to knock the Italians off their stride

Maybe Southgate needs to put out an ad like Clive said we did 6 months ago - "cnt wanted"
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:59 - Jul 12 with 954 viewsdenhamhoop2

Just found out it was Saka's first ever penalty kick that's the third time in major tournaments following on from Chris Waddle and David Batty for England and 2 of them took the vital last penalty . Fair play to all of them for volunteering Whatever the result that takes some cojones
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 12:04 - Jul 12 with 916 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:57 - Jul 12 by CiderwithRsie

My feeling was that all of our impact subs were either wide players or strikers - Grealish, Saka, Rashford - but what we needed from about 55 minutes on was someone to grab hold of the central mid, win us a bit of possession, calm things down and allow Shaw, Trippier and Walker to resume the runs that were so dangerous in the first half.

Henderson was presumably meant to do that but it didn't work. Maybe if he'd come on for Mount instead of Rice, I dunno. Maybe he's just not good enough. We didn't have the Foden option either though I'm not sure he's the tough old pro we needed to knock the Italians off their stride

Maybe Southgate needs to put out an ad like Clive said we did 6 months ago - "cnt wanted"

yeah would agree with that, we were losing it in midfield, think Bellingham will be an excellent player but probably too soon for him last night. In Fairness to England after the equaliser they regained control of the game and was much more of a 50/50 game after that. Easy said now but could have dropped Mount into midfield and put Steling up front to go 3-5-2 but again not sure it would have made a huge difference.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 12:07 - Jul 12 with 896 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:20 - Jul 12 by francisbowles

traininvain posted:

"Nobody is on their own. We have won together as a team and it is on all of us together to not be able to win this game.

You responded:
'Well, if this is fact then Southgate is doing something that I have never experienced and I would suggest not what most Managers would do.'

My point is that when it was said that the manager decides on the penalty takers, you seemed to suggest that in your experience this wasn't the case and not what normally happens. I replied that is part of his job, what a manager does, makes decisions.

Sorry but I don't get or know what I am 'wrong' on!!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 12:08 - Jul 12 with 899 viewsPhilmyRs

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:12 - Jul 12 by gazza1

Game Management is massive, proper massive when the team are struggling.....you suggest that he does not get that part correct.

Of course it’s massive but so too are all the other things I’ve noted above. We turn up well prepared, well drilled, have a clear game plan and typically execute it very well, usually this is enough as has been proved throughout the tournament. I can name countless England sides where these things were a bit shambolic so regardless of how good your in game management is, you’re already up against it.

Getting tactics right, getting team selection right, getting players in the right frame of mind, these are often enough to get you over the line. How many times have players tweaked or made subtle changes on the pitch amongst themselves, it happens often. But, sometimes, when it’s not going to plan and we’re up against it and losing possession too easily, getting repeatedly attacked and the players are struggling to sort it out themselves, I think he’s struggled to stop the problem, using the last semi and this final as evidence. All the good qualities I’ve listed are things I think he’s improved and developed, the game management side, it could be a “fear factor” it could be a lack of tactical flair when in the moment but we, as fans can sit back and analyse as it’s easy for us whereas he’s got countless questions going through his head during the game. I just think better in game management last night would have given us a better chance
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 12:17 - Jul 12 with 847 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:20 - Jul 12 by francisbowles

traininvain posted:

You responded:

I would suggest the penalty set-up would be discussed as a team....I don't know how England/Southgate done it. I also said that the penalty shoots-out that I have been involved with, and there have not been many, it was not pre-arranged and we decided as a team who would take pens and in what order primarily when players put their hands up to take one. I would expect England to be a bit more organised.

I believe, at the end of the day, it is the penalty taker who misses will take the blame albeit as an individual.

I hope that clarifies my stance on the penalty situation
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024