Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best and worse of the area you live in. 20:29 - Jul 17 with 16637 viewsqpr_1968

Shepherds bush.

BEST...Qpr, food shops to eat from all over the world. The askew.
WORST.....Traffic, and the extortianate parking charges.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:44 - Jul 17 with 6862 viewshantssi

Titchfield, Hants.
Best - space, walk to the beach, South Downs
Worst - ultimate suburbia no atmosphere/buzz, young Pompey fans acting like they’re in the old 6.57 crew
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 21:24]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:46 - Jul 17 with 6855 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Mardyke, Cork City

Best: Great neighbours, nice park across the lovely river, beautiful city, chatty, peaceful and friendly people.
Worst: I honestly couldn't complain about anything personally, but we have some homeless people on the street and for a small city that's particularly unacceptable.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:46 - Jul 17 with 6853 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good idea for a thread, 1968.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:01 - Jul 17 with 6795 viewsqpr_1968

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 20:46 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Good idea for a thread, 1968.

cheers brian....probably the sun today, brings out all the good in this little paradise they call shepherds bush.
the green, wormholt park, wormwood scrubs.....and all the little parks and greens dotted throughout.....so much greenery. not forgetting ravenscourt park.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:29 - Jul 17 with 6731 viewsKiwi76

Auckland NZ - just about to walk my dog on beach at Waiheke & no place I’d rather be.
But…
We’re a bloody long way from anywhere & even more so right now & do miss the connection.
(& seeing QPR!)
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:31 - Jul 17 with 6720 viewskarl

Orkney
Safe, clean environment, decent schools and very good NHS service. Plenty work available and housing is good quality and reasonably priced.
If you're prepared to muck in and give different things a try there's varied entertainment and social activities.

Remote so if you don't earn decent money you can get stuck in the far north, have to travel for big events but then again they can feel more important because you have travelled.
Weather is fine for me but very rarely get over 18 degrees and wind can grind people down.
This year has been so unusually dry and warm that we're running out of water, still advisory on hosepipe ban etc but it's unbelievable!
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:13 - Jul 17 with 6620 viewsdistortR

Ramsey.
Small fishing town, friendly and safe with everything you need at hand and good schools. Chips, cheese and gravy readily available.

Worst - House prices extortionate meaning too many of our young leave , opportunity cost in terms of football, gigs, exhibitions etc.
Also, we aren't allowed to shoot Scottish people on the beach anymore, which is a shame.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:17 - Jul 17 with 6608 viewsjoe90

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:29 - Jul 17 by Kiwi76

Auckland NZ - just about to walk my dog on beach at Waiheke & no place I’d rather be.
But…
We’re a bloody long way from anywhere & even more so right now & do miss the connection.
(& seeing QPR!)

I have family that live in the MT Eden area! About 8 years ago my now wife and I did a trip and stayed for just under a year. We spent a few months living in Auckland and few months on the road.

Two things that struck me about Auckland, the public transport is basically non existent. The suburbs are so poorly conected and the poverty. I did a fundraising job and visited all these different suburbs and spoke to lots of random people on the streets and at their homes and couldn't believe the drugs and poverty! Really not what I expected from NZ. I'm born and raised in London so I've seen a few things, so it's not drugs and poverty that shock me more that I didn't realise NZ had such an issue. Apart from that bloody lovely place! Had many a happy evening on karangahape road having a beer after work!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 22:20]
Login to get fewer ads

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:28 - Jul 17 with 6576 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Ealing

Best - I was born a couple of miles away. Most of my close family not far. Easy commute on my bike to work. Not far to Loftus Rd. Not far from the river.

Worst - Amazing public transport but not a lot of reason to use it.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 02:15 - Jul 18 with 6375 viewsSK_hoops

Brentford

Best - great pubs, good community.

Worst - Full of Brentford fans.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 03:21 - Jul 18 with 6356 viewsSteveB

10 years living & working in Dubai, Jumeirah Beach Residence living the dream...
2 years in Dubai jail, living my worst life. Home now :)
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 12:31]
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 03:32 - Jul 18 with 6347 viewsKiwi76

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 22:17 - Jul 17 by joe90

I have family that live in the MT Eden area! About 8 years ago my now wife and I did a trip and stayed for just under a year. We spent a few months living in Auckland and few months on the road.

Two things that struck me about Auckland, the public transport is basically non existent. The suburbs are so poorly conected and the poverty. I did a fundraising job and visited all these different suburbs and spoke to lots of random people on the streets and at their homes and couldn't believe the drugs and poverty! Really not what I expected from NZ. I'm born and raised in London so I've seen a few things, so it's not drugs and poverty that shock me more that I didn't realise NZ had such an issue. Apart from that bloody lovely place! Had many a happy evening on karangahape road having a beer after work!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 22:20]

You must’ve ventured a long way from Mt Eden Joe as that’s nice suburb?!
Unfortunately there are plenty doing it tough here either poverty and/or drugs - we’re a long way on from England in the 50’s vibe we used to get landed with when I was young.
K Rd even better now with more restaurants & bars while still retaining at least some of its character & the fa’afafines…
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 04:27 - Jul 18 with 6324 viewsSydneyRs

Sydney.

Best, mostly great weather, beaches not far away, great coffee and food, nice lifestyle, less of the social problems (although they still very much exist) you see in Europe/US.

Worst, traffic, heavy car reliance due to poor public transport system compared with Euro cities, sometimes extreme heat in summer, mosquitos in summer, summer bugs in general (you get used to it), expensive housing, a media needy for attention and compliments and constantly claiming everything here is "best in the world" with no supporting evidence.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 07:00 - Jul 18 with 6216 viewsHantsR

Best - quiet leafy location only a few miles away from Winchester and Southampton. Easy reach of lovely countryside with New Forest, South Downs, seaside and particularly nice for me, great rivers such as the Test, Itchen and Avon. Not far from M3 so I can get to park near KPFS in about an hour and a quarter on a good day. Housing is considered expensive by locals but of course compares very favourably with London. Its generally warm c/w much of the country and not so wet as the West country.

Worst- developers encouraged by politicians determined to cover Hampshire in concrete. Great British public (GBP) jam the motorways near here on sunny weekends like this. When GPB get to the Forest, rivers etc wildlife and the environment take quite a bashing - crikey they've been bad in the last year or so.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 07:10 - Jul 18 with 6196 viewsMistication92

North Vancouver

Best - Great scenery, so much to do, pretty decent transit (not London, but you can live here without a car), not too hot or too cold (give or take an occasional record heatwave). Very liberal and relaxed.

Worst - Housing is dumb expensive, the homeless + drugs problem is something I'd never seen to this extent before.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 07:27 - Jul 18 with 6170 viewsThe_Beast1976

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 21:29 - Jul 17 by Kiwi76

But…
(& seeing QPR!)

Waiheke. Lovely
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 08:41 - Jul 18 with 6061 viewskropotkin41

West Wales.

Best - West Wales is beautiful, we have great beaches and lots of castles.

Worst - Honestly not many downsides for a bit of a hermit like me. I miss living in France; it's a bit of a trip if I want to see QPR (except against Swansea, Cardiff or Bristol City.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:11 - Jul 18 with 5987 viewskernowhoop

The Gospel Pass in the Black Mountains (near Hay-on-Wye).
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:12 - Jul 18 with 5983 viewskernowhoop

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 09:11 - Jul 18 by kernowhoop

The Gospel Pass in the Black Mountains (near Hay-on-Wye).

Oops! That was meant to be in the 'best roads' thread. Sorry.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:00 - Jul 18 with 5893 viewsHoopstar

Haywards Heath:

Best - sandwiched between the High Weald and South Downs AONB/NPs and beautiful countryside to walk in any which way you walk out of town. Commute into the city is the same as when I lived in NW London if not a little more expensive, easy reach of the seaside and plenty of things to do. It's just far enough from London and Brighton for property prices to not be too affected by either and reasonable enough for SE England commuter town.

Worst - bit too much of the red trouser brigade for someone born in Brent, impossible to get a decent curry or most cuisine locally and reliant on London/Brighton for entertainment.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:10 - Jul 18 with 5875 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:00 - Jul 18 by Hoopstar

Haywards Heath:

Best - sandwiched between the High Weald and South Downs AONB/NPs and beautiful countryside to walk in any which way you walk out of town. Commute into the city is the same as when I lived in NW London if not a little more expensive, easy reach of the seaside and plenty of things to do. It's just far enough from London and Brighton for property prices to not be too affected by either and reasonable enough for SE England commuter town.

Worst - bit too much of the red trouser brigade for someone born in Brent, impossible to get a decent curry or most cuisine locally and reliant on London/Brighton for entertainment.

I’ve had several great walks around Haywards Heath. 👍🏻

One thing that we’ve noticed is that there’s very few pubs in town. There’s the one by the station but that’s pretty average but not much else. Never really worked out why.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 10:11]

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:47 - Jul 18 with 5806 viewsHoopstar

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:10 - Jul 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

I’ve had several great walks around Haywards Heath. 👍🏻

One thing that we’ve noticed is that there’s very few pubs in town. There’s the one by the station but that’s pretty average but not much else. Never really worked out why.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 10:11]

Yeah it is a little lacking in pubs - the two main ones are pretty bog standards places. Am a non-drinker so not a massive negative for me.

Pop through Blunts Wood to Cuckfield and there's two or three lovely pubs which we go for grub at from time to time.
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:59 - Jul 18 with 5785 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 10:47 - Jul 18 by Hoopstar

Yeah it is a little lacking in pubs - the two main ones are pretty bog standards places. Am a non-drinker so not a massive negative for me.

Pop through Blunts Wood to Cuckfield and there's two or three lovely pubs which we go for grub at from time to time.

Yes I've been to Cuckfield. There are loads of pubs around HH to be fair. Last walk we did passed through Newick which has 3 pubs on the same road. Went in two of them and the Royal Oak was my favourite.

One pub I haven't been to is the Snowdrop Inn on the edge of HH not far from the hospital. I must go there next time.

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:07 - Jul 18 with 5757 viewsjoe90

The best and worse of the area you live in. on 03:32 - Jul 18 by Kiwi76

You must’ve ventured a long way from Mt Eden Joe as that’s nice suburb?!
Unfortunately there are plenty doing it tough here either poverty and/or drugs - we’re a long way on from England in the 50’s vibe we used to get landed with when I was young.
K Rd even better now with more restaurants & bars while still retaining at least some of its character & the fa’afafines…

Can't remember the names of the places I went to but they were south I think? We would meet at the office in the CBD area and drive out. We only went north of the city once from memeory. I use to walk to the office from MT Eden via K road. I use to cut through a shopping arcade into a lovely park (Myers Park?) . Apart from the few outings to the suburbs (which were a real eye opener), I have nothing but fond memeorys. Apart from the time I was queuing for an ice cream at a beach in Auckland and a group of kids started taking the piss out of me for wearing a QPR shirt, haha!
The best and worse of the area you live in. on 11:14 - Jul 18 with 5742 viewsdanehoop

Epsom

Best - Green space - Epsom Downs, and local parks are lovely, prime horsey country too. Fairly decent housing, most things available locally.
When it works, easy commute to London by train and equally nearness to M25 and A3 make getting around fairly easy.
Pretty decent restaurant choices, decent schools and unusually for Surrey it's pretty cosmopolitan with lots of different nationalities around.

Worst - Traffic - for some reason Surrey have decided they particularly hate Epsom and have managed to pile in with constant traffic works across all main roads around the town at the same time over the past 3 years, often all at the same time. Its now reached the point of digging up things that were only laid a year before.
Commuting - the trains - although technically well served, the services were run by SW Trains and Southern prior to Covid and meant you couldn't really count on anything working well from one day to the next.
Local MP is Chris Grayling

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024