Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Warburton — Patreon 09:07 - Jul 19 with 16311 viewsNorthernr

Interview with Warbs, free to read here, or you can listen to it via the Patreon...

https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/55294
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 21:46 - Jul 20 with 3307 viewsjtuck

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 18:38 - Jul 20 by DWQPR

For me Warbs is the perfect fit as a QPR manager in much the same way as Jago, Sexton and Venables and Warnock were. All arrived at pivotal moments in the history of the club, Jago when we were starting to drift away from being a promotion pushing side to mid-table mediocrity in the early 70’s, Sexton when the hard work achieved by Jago risked being unpicked in a relegation fight in 1974, Venners when the turbulence of Docherty (although fun at the time), risked seeing the club drift again and Warnock when a no shît approach to the club was required to stand up to Tango and Cash. With Warbs this time a safe pair of hands whilst getting financial goals achieved and also for me a meant to be situation that has taken 45 years to develop when he spoke about his Dad’s friendship with Frank McLintock meant that Warbs spent a fair bit of time watching and studying THAT team. He is a manager that makes players look better than maybe they are, wants to improve those players both technically and mentally. Hopefully he is still in the early days of his tenure.

The comparison with Dave Sexton is an apt one. He believed in Total Football like those great Dutch teams of the 70s where everyone was comfortable on the ball. Also, Sexton like Warburton took a lot from other sports. He used to talk about football being like basketball in that it's a game of pass-and-move as you outmanoeuvrve the opposition and there are two basic ways of defending: zonal marking or man-to-man. Agree that some of his childhood watching the greatest team Rangers ever had must have rubbed off on Mr W. He has a habit of prefacing a lot of his comments with apologies for sounding like an 'old man'. Well, that long-in-the-tooth experience may be a good thing!

Overall, Warburton sounds so much more relaxed now with the media which includes Clive. I think the penny has finally dropped that Norf is not the representative of the 'keyboard warriors'. I found my personal turning point after long frustration with the manager clamming up in post game interviews and giving boring answers came in his refreshing fury in his post match interview with Nick London after the diabolical surrender away to Rotherham at the end of last season. Sounded angry.

LAranger

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:01 - Jul 21 with 2966 viewsCiderwithRsie

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:46 - Jul 20 by Northernr

Well, on the wind, the choice was Zoom or in person, and I always think these things are better in person. The club are strict as fck about Covid protocols which is why we've so far only had one isolation from the whole squad, last year I was literally sitting on the fire escape talking to Warbs sitting 15 feet away from me. We can get round a lot of their protocols by doing the interview outside, but the training ground is next to one of the world's busiest airports and is very exposed so I knew there'd be wind and background noise but felt that a fair trade off for actually being there in person with all the extra flow that brings to a conversation as opposed to another Zoom.

The club are strict as fck about Covid protocols which is why we've so far only had one isolation from the whole squad,

That's an interesting little nugget in itself, a sign of professionalism around the club.

Let's face it, things have gone so well for about six months now we're all more or less expecting something to go tits up. But it looks like we have good people at the club on and off the pitch to cope and adapt when it does.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:06 - Jul 21 with 2961 viewsCiderwithRsie

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 08:14 - Jul 20 by Northernr

I'm very fortunate to have been able to interview/meet all our managers down the recent years. I like Ian Holloway a lot, I think his love and passion for the club is really genuine and in fact he maybe cared too much about it, but I also think he should have stuck to TV and not tried to come back into management, it's passed him by now and he's out of his depth. Everything about Redknapp is fake, the bloke's a complete cnt. Steve McClaren was unimpressive to the point of it being alarming, took him ten minutes to get his head round why the fancine was called A Kick Up The R's, completely missed that we were joking about signing Richard Keogh and spent five minutes talking about how keen he was to get him and Chris Martin in over and above the signings he'd been presented with by the recruitment team (in the end we signed none of them and went into the season 7-1 at West Brom short).

Mark Warburton is so far ahead of all of them in management, coaching, intellect, his standards, how he talks to you, how he deals with you etc it's untrue.

I'll always defend (up to a point) Holloway's second stint on the basis that we were getting less and less attractive to managers (probably players too) and I doubt anyone even half good would have come in for us. We'd even run out of the money to bribe greedy chancers.

It was his passion that brought him back and by staying for two seasons without getting us relegated that in itself was a turning point.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:57 - Jul 21 with 2898 viewsHanwellHoopster

I'm very fortunate to have been able to interview/meet all our managers down the recent years. I like Ian Holloway a lot, I think his love and passion for the club is really genuine and in fact he maybe cared too much about it, but I also think he should have stuck to TV and not tried to come back into management, it's passed him by now and he's out of his depth. Everything about Redknapp is fake, the bloke's a complete cnt. Steve McClaren was unimpressive to the point of it being alarming, took him ten minutes to get his head round why the fancine was called A Kick Up The R's, completely missed that we were joking about signing Richard Keogh and spent five minutes talking about how keen he was to get him and Chris Martin in over and above the signings he'd been presented with by the recruitment team (in the end we signed none of them and went into the season 7-1 at West Brom short).

Mark Warburton is so far ahead of all of them in management, coaching, intellect, his standards, how he talks to you, how he deals with you etc it's untrue.

This prompts a question I was reflecting on after reading the interview. Is football management too much of a closed shop? Should it be more open to those who haven't been football players to a decent standard? I think MW's perspective on this in a future interview/podcast would be really interesting given his background.

Presently we take players who have (presumably) a technical knowledge of the game and try and teach them leadership and/or management skills, often on the job. That's fine in many cases, but are there lots of potentially brilliant managers out there who already have exemplary leadership/management skills from other sports, or business, who need to spend some time learning the technical side of the game and doing their badges, who then might go on to become excellent managers? Not only would this broaden the pool of potentially good managers, it would hopefully also challenge those players who assume they have a job in management to really raise their game and ensure only the best of the players end up in management roles, unlike Rooney et al just walking into a job based on a good playing career.

Anyway. Fantastic interview. Thank you.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 10:00]
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:57 - Jul 21 with 2891 viewsMyke

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:06 - Jul 21 by CiderwithRsie

I'll always defend (up to a point) Holloway's second stint on the basis that we were getting less and less attractive to managers (probably players too) and I doubt anyone even half good would have come in for us. We'd even run out of the money to bribe greedy chancers.

It was his passion that brought him back and by staying for two seasons without getting us relegated that in itself was a turning point.

I think this is fair. He could easily have stayed in pundry but his love for the club lured him back. Did a decent job bringing on the kids too, which (apart from Eze) McClaren quickly dismantled I'm thinking particularly of Smyth who thrived under Holloway and never got another look in.
However, I also think it was time to go when he did. He had lost the plot a bit. Obviously had some emotional issues to deal with and losing Wilkins and one (or was it both?) of his parents didn't help.. Overall though, did a decent job. Steadied the ship when it was needed with f*ck all resources.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 11:05 - Jul 21 with 2820 viewsCiderwithRsie

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:57 - Jul 21 by Myke

I think this is fair. He could easily have stayed in pundry but his love for the club lured him back. Did a decent job bringing on the kids too, which (apart from Eze) McClaren quickly dismantled I'm thinking particularly of Smyth who thrived under Holloway and never got another look in.
However, I also think it was time to go when he did. He had lost the plot a bit. Obviously had some emotional issues to deal with and losing Wilkins and one (or was it both?) of his parents didn't help.. Overall though, did a decent job. Steadied the ship when it was needed with f*ck all resources.

Exactly my view and although McClaren was the wrong move for us and the way it happened must have been hurtful, I actually think it was best for Holloway to be sacked, I was genuinely a bit worried about his mental health toward the end.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 16:04 - Jul 21 with 2595 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 11:17 - Jul 19 by Northernr

Should have asked him about his contract after the stuff about the FA - Dave Mc has subsequently said he's getting a new one shortly, would have been nice to get that.

Should have asked him if we'd be done if we got Moses and Stef over the line, or whether there was more to come after that.

And should have asked, on mic, whether our players have been double jabbed in the Covid thing. I asked afterwards and the answer was most, not all, they'd like all to be done by the opening day. PFA not being helpful.

Yes I can see why you would think that but I wouldn't sweat it as it's still a decent interview. Harry Hindsight is the smartest cookie in town.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 17:01 - Jul 21 with 2520 viewsGloryHunter

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:46 - Jul 20 by Northernr

Well, on the wind, the choice was Zoom or in person, and I always think these things are better in person. The club are strict as fck about Covid protocols which is why we've so far only had one isolation from the whole squad, last year I was literally sitting on the fire escape talking to Warbs sitting 15 feet away from me. We can get round a lot of their protocols by doing the interview outside, but the training ground is next to one of the world's busiest airports and is very exposed so I knew there'd be wind and background noise but felt that a fair trade off for actually being there in person with all the extra flow that brings to a conversation as opposed to another Zoom.

Excellent interview Clive, thanks very much. For me, the plane noise wasn't noticeable, but I did find the whole thing a bit lacking in volume. Regarding wind noise, isn't that what those big fluffy mic covers are for? (Just googled it, and they are called "dead cat" wind screens!)
Login to get fewer ads

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 17:03 - Jul 21 with 2517 viewsGloryHunter

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:57 - Jul 21 by HanwellHoopster

This prompts a question I was reflecting on after reading the interview. Is football management too much of a closed shop? Should it be more open to those who haven't been football players to a decent standard? I think MW's perspective on this in a future interview/podcast would be really interesting given his background.

Presently we take players who have (presumably) a technical knowledge of the game and try and teach them leadership and/or management skills, often on the job. That's fine in many cases, but are there lots of potentially brilliant managers out there who already have exemplary leadership/management skills from other sports, or business, who need to spend some time learning the technical side of the game and doing their badges, who then might go on to become excellent managers? Not only would this broaden the pool of potentially good managers, it would hopefully also challenge those players who assume they have a job in management to really raise their game and ensure only the best of the players end up in management roles, unlike Rooney et al just walking into a job based on a good playing career.

Jose Mourinho. Roy Hodgson. Arsene Wenger (only played at a very low level)
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 17:08 - Jul 21 with 2511 viewsNorthernr

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 17:01 - Jul 21 by GloryHunter

Excellent interview Clive, thanks very much. For me, the plane noise wasn't noticeable, but I did find the whole thing a bit lacking in volume. Regarding wind noise, isn't that what those big fluffy mic covers are for? (Just googled it, and they are called "dead cat" wind screens!)

Yeh less than ideal, and have already been chatting with people who know about these things to invest in some better kit.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 17:34 - Jul 21 with 2485 viewseastside_r

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 17:01 - Jul 21 by GloryHunter

Glad I am not the only one. I find all of the Patreon stuff quiet. Not a lot you can do about the wind but the general audio could be improved I would think. (Post-production?)
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 18:25 - Jul 21 with 2436 viewsngbqpr

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 09:57 - Jul 21 by HanwellHoopster

Agreed.

I'm lucky enough to have done a load of my FA badges, and some of the tutors are truly inspirational - not only with their understanding of the way the game works, but also in the way they got a bunch of cynical, middle aged blokes like me enthused and got our buy in. I'm sure plenty of these coaches eventually get academy jobs, but if they're a success there, why not move them up the chain? (I should add I've also had a few less than inspirational old school tutors - but I think the 'progressives' are gradually winning the battle for the FA's coaching soul).

I'd like to think they could inspire the much maligned 'modern footballer' - and as Glory Hunter says, the likes of Mourinho & Wenger (and Klopp too) show it's about so much more than 'show us yer medals.'

When the pros talk about "doing their badges", my worry is they're sometimes given a pass much more readily than us non-pros because of who they are. I hear pundits like Savage and Murphy using FA terminology (between the lines, playing through the thirds, triangles etc etc), but am convinced they don't really get the concepts behind these buzzwords. The contrast in results between Lampard and Tuchel with the same tools is another case in point.

Oh, and I know we tried it with Ramsey, but it wasn't really the ideal timing was it? Thank goodness we still kept him on.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 20:11 - Jul 21 with 2364 viewsjoolsyp

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 17:34 - Jul 21 by eastside_r

Glad I am not the only one. I find all of the Patreon stuff quiet. Not a lot you can do about the wind but the general audio could be improved I would think. (Post-production?)

It's pretty hard to improve quiet audio in post-production when you have a noisy background (wind, planes etc.). Not impossible but it's a lot of work - if Clive can invest in some better equipment, monitor the levels with good headphones etc. then that will minimise the work needed in post.

That said, content is king and I've signed up to his Patreon - worth every penny!
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 22:59 - Jul 21 with 2249 viewsCiderwithRsie

There've been some great ex-player managers but most say that managing isn't a patch on playing. With Warburton it seems like it's the other way round, that coaching is his passion.

Ex-top players do have that winning mentality and understand big-match pressure but I think Warbs is a rare beast because his background in the City probably replicated a lot of that drive.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 00:48 - Jul 22 with 2188 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Clive, did you ever interview Hughes or JFH? If you did would be interested in your thoughts on them. Cheers, James
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:27 - Jul 22 with 2088 viewsNorthernr

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 00:48 - Jul 22 by superhoopdownunder

Clive, did you ever interview Hughes or JFH? If you did would be interested in your thoughts on them. Cheers, James

Ha ha as if Hughes had time for plebs like me.

Started with Chris Ramsey, who's a lovely fella.

JFH was strange.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:36 - Jul 22 with 2081 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:27 - Jul 22 by Northernr

JFH was strange.

JFH - it is what it is - back to where he does ok at Burton
Hughes was a very poor choice for our club. He probably thought he was bigger than us.
Glad Ramsey stayed around and he has been a big asset for the club.

Thoughts on any of the other managers from Warnock or before (there were a few)
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 7:39]
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:47 - Jul 22 with 2076 viewsNorthernr

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:36 - Jul 22 by superhoopdownunder

Hughes was a very poor choice for our club. He probably thought he was bigger than us.

Like I say, the annual meets with fan groups and interviews only started at Chris Ramsey, so anything before that I don't know.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 10:01 - Jul 22 with 1932 viewsCamberleyR

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:27 - Jul 22 by Northernr

JFH was strange.

Hughes would have been too busy with his meticulous preparation for the business of winning Premier League football matches.

Another great interview Clive.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 11:54 - Jul 22 with 1795 viewsTheChef

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 10:01 - Jul 22 by CamberleyR

Hughes would have been too busy with his meticulous preparation for the business of winning Premier League football matches.

Another great interview Clive.

LOLZ.

Doesn't the old story go that Hughes interviewed the club, rather than the other way round?

Amazing that he is still out of work!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 12:15 - Jul 22 with 1768 viewsdsw2509

What a great read this was. Many thanks. It is clear we are lucky to have Warburton. He just seems to be the right guy at the right time. If we are lucky with injuries then it might be a great season. I doubt SJ will come but it will of course be really positive if he does.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 13:14 - Jul 22 with 1698 viewsterryb

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:47 - Jul 22 by Northernr

Like I say, the annual meets with fan groups and interviews only started at Chris Ramsey, so anything before that I don't know.

Are you aware of anyone else Clive who is given this privilege?

I would regard this as a real feather in the cap for yourself & this board.
Mark Warburton — Patreon on 13:24 - Jul 22 with 1689 viewsaston_hoop

Really enjoyable listen, the more I hear of Warburton the more respect I have for him and his methods. Cant wait for the season to start now, I'll probably end up paying to see us scrap it out against Utd's kids on Saturday via the livestream.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 13:25]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 15:35 - Jul 22 with 1564 viewstoboboly

Cheers Norf, great listen. Only disappointing thing for me was MW's keenness on B teams in all but name. Dangerous thoughts, hopefully this independent regulator gets in prior to any of that sort of business.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 00:47 - Jul 23 with 1269 viewsSydneyRs

Mark Warburton — Patreon on 07:36 - Jul 22 by superhoopdownunder

Thought he was bigger than us and then brought in players who thought the same. What could possibly go wrong?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024