Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North/south circular congestion charge 09:45 - Jul 20 with 9562 viewssouthbrookstreet

The congestion charge zone is expanding from central London to north/south circular roads from 25 October.. what does the Rs football fan who lives outside this area feel about having to pay £15 and not forgetting hammersmith & fulham council according to W12 residences are taking about 7 days/24 hours car parking charging near Loftus road.. there are a lot of Rs supporters who travel by car I don't think they would be to happy digging into their pockets again and again so maybe some will find going to football will be too expensive for the average football fan.. perhaps car sharing is an option but that has its problems.. nice to hear what the genuine football fan has to say
North/south circular congestion charge on 11:49 - Jul 22 with 2430 viewskensalriser

North/south circular congestion charge on 10:53 - Jul 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’d much rather get the train. More chilled, maybe even a little catch up on sleep or work.

The only reason I don’t is expense.

Rail Season ticket from me is £6,000
Car fuel, insurance, and MOT £3,000

What about maintenance, repairs and depreciation?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

North/south circular congestion charge on 11:53 - Jul 22 with 2421 viewswillis1980

North/south circular congestion charge on 11:37 - Jul 22 by Juzzie

There in a nutshell is why people will choose a car over public transport.

Then you have the door-to-door convenience, privacy etc etc.

It will only change once public transport becomes affordable and efficient. It's neither.

Has anyone had a butchers at the new travel card prices, my brother in law lives in epsom which is zone 6 i think. The other day he was telling me how much he was paying and I kept thinking that cant be right. The prices seem to have shot up. I get that the government have tied Khans hands but those prices are too much, why would anyone take the train to epsom for a kings ransom when I can carry 5 of us there in my corsa there and back for less than a fivers worth of petrol!

Its been a couple of years due to the pandemic but public transport in Paris, Hamburg, Copenhagen (yes copenhagen) etc is far more affordable.

Im lucky Im in a position to walk or cycle to work, which is one of the big factors in why I never bother getting a different job.
North/south circular congestion charge on 11:59 - Jul 22 with 2413 viewsJuzzie

North/south circular congestion charge on 11:49 - Jul 22 by kensalriser

indeed, and apart form all that, what have the romans ever done for us! [Brian's Law]
North/south circular congestion charge on 12:14 - Jul 22 with 2395 viewsCliff

North/south circular congestion charge on 11:53 - Jul 22 by willis1980

Has anyone had a butchers at the new travel card prices, my brother in law lives in epsom which is zone 6 i think. The other day he was telling me how much he was paying and I kept thinking that cant be right. The prices seem to have shot up. I get that the government have tied Khans hands but those prices are too much, why would anyone take the train to epsom for a kings ransom when I can carry 5 of us there in my corsa there and back for less than a fivers worth of petrol!

Its been a couple of years due to the pandemic but public transport in Paris, Hamburg, Copenhagen (yes copenhagen) etc is far more affordable.

Im lucky Im in a position to walk or cycle to work, which is one of the big factors in why I never bother getting a different job.

Why is public transport cheaper elsewhere - public subsidy is much higher. Try that here and you'll get cries of "Communism!"
North/south circular congestion charge on 12:30 - Jul 22 with 2362 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

North/south circular congestion charge on 11:49 - Jul 22 by kensalriser

Fair point, although if you are spending over £3,000 pa on repairs you’ll be getting the train a lot of the time anyway while you motor is in the garage.
North/south circular congestion charge on 12:39 - Jul 22 with 2353 viewsslmrstid

I’d much rather get the train. More chilled, maybe even a little catch up on sleep or work.

This I do agree with - I'd happily take a train from Leicester to London more for football if it wasn't so stupidly priced - as a result it makes it cheaper to drive.

Last away game I went to (Forest 2 seasons ago) I did by train as I was able to get a return ticket for £12, and the ground is easily walkable from the station.
North/south circular congestion charge on 13:18 - Jul 22 with 2333 viewswillis1980

North/south circular congestion charge on 12:14 - Jul 22 by Cliff

Why is public transport cheaper elsewhere - public subsidy is much higher. Try that here and you'll get cries of "Communism!"

Or they ignore the fact that our public transport is run by public transport firms hailing from mainland europe! My guess is that commuters in their respective countries hugely benefit from the profits they make operating in the UK.

People in those countries also pay far more tax than we do here, which in my experience is hwy they get provided better services etc. The good burgers based in Tufton Street would never let that fly over here though
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 15:32]
North/south circular congestion charge on 13:48 - Jul 22 with 2310 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Can't compare London to a country the size of the Isle of Wight obviously, but this is what Luxembourg did:

Login to get fewer ads

North/south circular congestion charge on 14:46 - Jul 22 with 2272 viewskensalriser

North/south circular congestion charge on 11:53 - Jul 22 by willis1980

Epsom isn't in London, so out of TfL's area, I think.

North/south circular congestion charge on 14:56 - Jul 22 with 2239 viewskensalriser

North/south circular congestion charge on 12:30 - Jul 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

Fair point, although if you are spending over £3,000 pa on repairs you’ll be getting the train a lot of the time anyway while you motor is in the garage.

True! But for most people depreciation is the larger part of that. I managed around £500 a year in a car I ran for 13 years, but the trade off is increasing repair bills.

North/south circular congestion charge on 15:05 - Jul 22 with 2230 views1MoreBrightonR

Price is a huge issue and I was just saying that I don't understand why tax on flights, which is huge, doesn't subsidise railway tickets to keep prices down.

But efficiency in London.... It has a huge public transport system which runs a lot more regularly than most cities. The main tube line (central, Victoria etc) run every one to two minutes in rush hour now. I'm not claiming it's quicker always or even a lot of time than driving, but people do need to accept that choosing a car because it's always easiest isn't the best option.
North/south circular congestion charge on 15:24 - Jul 22 with 2220 viewsdanehoop

North/south circular congestion charge on 14:46 - Jul 22 by kensalriser

Epsom isn't in London, so out of TfL's area, I think.

As an Epsom dweller I am happy to confirm that we are not in zone 6. Ewell West and Ewell East, next stops into town and about a mile from Epsom are both in Surrey and are in Zone 6 (local council is Epsom and Ewell so pretty much interconnected).

Despite having the Secretary of State for Transport as our local MP for several years and many promises that we would be allowed to use Oyster cards etc. nothing actually happened. Who would have thought that Chris Grayling wouldn't deliver on that promise to his constituents when he was in charge of transport eh?

Never knowingly understood

North/south circular congestion charge on 16:57 - Jul 22 with 2169 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

North/south circular congestion charge on 15:24 - Jul 22 by danehoop

As an Epsom dweller I am happy to confirm that we are not in zone 6. Ewell West and Ewell East, next stops into town and about a mile from Epsom are both in Surrey and are in Zone 6 (local council is Epsom and Ewell so pretty much interconnected).

Despite having the Secretary of State for Transport as our local MP for several years and many promises that we would be allowed to use Oyster cards etc. nothing actually happened. Who would have thought that Chris Grayling wouldn't deliver on that promise to his constituents when he was in charge of transport eh?

When they told him he'll be representing Epsom he probably thought they meant lobbying for the printer company.
North/south circular congestion charge on 19:46 - Jul 28 with 2014 viewsBenny_the_Ball

North/south circular congestion charge on 20:40 - Jul 21 by 1MoreBrightonR

Sorry, don't accept this at all. Stand outside any school at the start of the day and see how many people drop their kids off, and most London school's have a tiny catchment area. I have colleagues who drive from North London to South London to my office because "they don't like the tube". Data shows the majority of journeys in London are very short and yes, people with shopping need a car, but it's a fantasy to think every car journey is essential or mums or people with mobility issues. There are 2.4 million cars registered in London, which mean 40 of households own them.

And to add some balance, I do think work vans should be excluded from these charges, as those drivers need to carry equipment etc. Though my dad, a tradesman until recently (retired) would pass on all parking charges etc to clients, and I always expect to pay the parking of anyone coming to mine to do work.

Also, to say londons transport system doesn't cut the mustard doesn't hold up... It's one of the most comprehensive transport systems in the world. People just don't like using is because a car is perceived as more convenient and comfortable.

I also think splitting the argument in to questioning where the money goes and if the charge is justified makes sense. Like any tax, querying what's being done with the money is justified. But does London have a huge traffic problem? Yes. Does London have a huge problem with pollution from cars yes (it's air quality is below recommended levels in 99% of London according to data and 9000 people died from air pollution related deaths in 2015). So what are we going to do about that? Say "but people need their cars"?
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 20:47]

Sorry, but you've just repeating the same point that has already been categorically dismantled. Your entire argument is based on an incorrect assertion that the congestion charge is extending to the North and South Circular. It's not, ULEZ is.

As a result, the conversation is not about congestion but emissions. The answer is to simply produce cars that do not pollute (whether that be electric, hydrogen or other), make them affordable and build the infrastructure to support them. That way, everyone, motorists and environmentalists alike, are happy and there is no need for punitive measures like ULEZ.

To suggest otherwise belies a hidden agenda aimed at demonising and fleecing London drivers whilst you kick back in Brighton.
North/south circular congestion charge on 20:42 - Jul 28 with 1942 viewsSuperhoops2808

We dont always agree, but you are spot on with this. I much prefer the train to the grind of the crawl home on the A2 - But having advertised this new train pricing, they then announce it wont cover anyone who can use an oyster card.

Not only that, the trains have been cut since the pandemic and its a struggle to get in for 6am because of the reduction of services.

Also, your earlier post about the cost of electric cars being costly, they are now but in the next year I suspect they will fall dramatically (at least I hope so as I have my eyes on one) - But the public transport infrastructure needs to be restored to what it was pre-Covid including night tubes etc

The good news (for me anyway) is the change of the charging times. I can now sneak in for night duty (if implemented) bang on the dot of 6pm. So fingers crossed that change comes in
North/south circular congestion charge on 21:46 - Jul 28 with 1892 viewsGloryHunter

Every government in Europe subsidises public transport from central taxation, apart from the UK. Maybe that's why our roads are so congested.
North/south circular congestion charge on 22:26 - Jul 28 with 1851 viewstoboboly

Apparently he's backed down.

Case closed

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

North/south circular congestion charge on 22:48 - Jul 28 with 1833 viewsGloryHunter

North/south circular congestion charge on 22:26 - Jul 28 by toboboly

Apparently he's backed down.

Case closed

Who? What?
North/south circular congestion charge on 01:19 - Jul 29 with 1791 viewsBoston

I prefer to use public transport when in London, any large city or whenever it's convenient. I don't need any encouragement from the right or wrongers, it works for me and that's all that matters.
I'll drive when I want to.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

North/south circular congestion charge on 09:07 - Jul 29 with 1713 viewstoboboly

North/south circular congestion charge on 22:48 - Jul 28 by GloryHunter

Who? What?

Apologies, someone was reading the paper yesterday and I got a glimpse but totally got it wrong;

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-congestion-charge-u-turn-b9479

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

North/south circular congestion charge on 09:14 - Oct 25 with 1380 viewsactonman

Reminder for those who don’t know or have forgotten that the emission zone extension comes into force today so anybody driving in from outside of the north / south circular to check your vehicle is compliant or you will be getting a fine

Good excuse to get the train down now and have a couple of sherry’s
North/south circular congestion charge on 13:45 - Oct 25 with 1213 viewsstevec

North/south circular congestion charge on 09:14 - Oct 25 by actonman

Reminder for those who don’t know or have forgotten that the emission zone extension comes into force today so anybody driving in from outside of the north / south circular to check your vehicle is compliant or you will be getting a fine

At my 1970’s secondary boys school ULEZ was used as an everyday insult.
North/south circular congestion charge on 15:07 - Oct 25 with 1143 viewsJuzzie

North/south circular congestion charge on 09:14 - Oct 25 by actonman

You won't get a fine as such, you'll just get charged the daily rate. The fine will come into force later on if you don't pay the charge.

Thing that makes me laugh (well, not really) about all of this congestion charge, ULEZ etc is any and everyone can still use their old clapped out high emission vehicle if you pay the daily charge. As long as it passes its MoT there nothing physically to stop you from using the vehicle.
North/south circular congestion charge on 17:35 - Oct 25 with 1034 viewsTGRRRSSS

All about any way they can make more asnd more money, going to be a huge crash coming soon.

Massive thing on getting the train, I paid 66 to get to Peterborough on Saturday.
North/south circular congestion charge (n/t) on 18:21 - Oct 25 with 1005 viewswood_hoop

North/south circular congestion charge on 17:35 - Oct 25 by TGRRRSSS

All about any way they can make more asnd more money, going to be a huge crash coming soon.

Massive thing on getting the train, I paid 66 to get to Peterborough on Saturday.

[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 9:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024