Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season 16:50 - Jul 28 with 5275 viewsGloryHunter

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/28/major-heading-restrictions-agre
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 17:48 - Jul 28 with 3192 viewsqpr_1968

players are basically heading balloons these days compared to the leather medicine balls they had years ago.....especially with that bloody lace that used to catch you on the forehead occasionally.
what sport is next, boxing? you'll be aloud ten punches, the rest will have to be slaps i'm afraid.
absolute drivel.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:36 - Jul 28 with 3091 viewsdaveB

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 17:48 - Jul 28 by qpr_1968

players are basically heading balloons these days compared to the leather medicine balls they had years ago.....especially with that bloody lace that used to catch you on the forehead occasionally.
what sport is next, boxing? you'll be aloud ten punches, the rest will have to be slaps i'm afraid.
absolute drivel.

tell the hundreds of players with dementia that it's drivel. It's only restricted in training
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:43 - Jul 28 with 3028 viewsstevec

Can someone explain how cage fighting gets the green light?
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:50 - Jul 28 with 3037 viewsdaveB

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:43 - Jul 28 by stevec

Can someone explain how cage fighting gets the green light?

it's about repetition. Cage fighters are not having their heads punched everyday whilst footballers will head around 20/30 balls a day from the age of 8 till about 38 which may cause long term damage
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:55 - Jul 28 with 2997 views80s_Boy

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 17:48 - Jul 28 by qpr_1968

absolute drivel.

Still would have been 8 too many punches for Audley Harrison...
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 19:07 - Jul 28 with 2972 viewsGloryHunter

absolute drivel.

Oh good - a dementia denier
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 20:13 - Jul 28 with 2895 viewsqpr_1968

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:36 - Jul 28 by daveB

tell the hundreds of players with dementia that it's drivel. It's only restricted in training

i'd tell them as well as the people that have never played football in their lives.
don't buy it.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 20:31 - Jul 28 with 2849 viewskensalriser

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 20:13 - Jul 28 by qpr_1968

i'd tell them as well as the people that have never played football in their lives.
don't buy it.

Please do share your relevant medical qualifications and research in this field.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 20:32]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 20:58 - Jul 28 with 2790 viewsqpr_1968

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 20:31 - Jul 28 by kensalriser

Please do share your relevant medical qualifications and research in this field.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 20:32]

none whatsoever.
whats your for footballers getting dementia by heading a football.

a footballer gets dementia, does'nt mean its because he's headed a football.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 21:22 - Jul 28 with 2742 viewsLythamR

absolute drivel.

its true that balls are lighter these days however they are travelling with a higher velocity which in terms of impact probably evens things out.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 21:43 - Jul 28 with 2714 viewsMyke

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 18:50 - Jul 28 by daveB

it's about repetition. Cage fighters are not having their heads punched everyday whilst footballers will head around 20/30 balls a day from the age of 8 till about 38 which may cause long term damage

Why are Cage fighters not having their heads punched every day? Surely they train everyday like other sports people? Not that Cage fighting is a sport imo, but that's another debate. I would argue that players actually head the ball less frequently than fighters get punched/kicked in the head Dementia is a sad and horrible disease and I witnessed with my dad. But I'm with 68 on this one - tragically it happens in all walks of life.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 21:53 - Jul 28 with 2701 viewsGloryHunter

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 21:43 - Jul 28 by Myke

Why are Cage fighters not having their heads punched every day? Surely they train everyday like other sports people? Not that Cage fighting is a sport imo, but that's another debate. I would argue that players actually head the ball less frequently than fighters get punched/kicked in the head Dementia is a sad and horrible disease and I witnessed with my dad. But I'm with 68 on this one - tragically it happens in all walks of life.

When you're sparring in boxing training, you're not getting your head punched all the time. And you're wearing head protection anyway. But footballers in training might head the ball repetitively, especially strikers and centre backs. Maybe they could wear head protectors when training?

(I speak as someone who nearly lost an eye heading the ball in a match, by the way.)
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 21:59 - Jul 28 with 2682 viewstheQPRking

Just to add my opinion to this topic, I'm a level 2 fa coach and my understanding of this is to try to limit the big impact headers, and as previously mentioned, the repetition of drills encouraging this.

Big impact headers meaning young players being encouraged to return goal kicks and long range freekicks by heading the ball directly back in the direction they have come from..

Just to counter this, I would argue that it is incredibly important to teach young players how to head the ball properly, ensuring good connection and confidence in the direction the ball will travel once headed. However this can be done with a short throw of the ball rather than lamping it 30 yards at them!

Add to this, young players should be taught to bring the ball down and play rather than just head it back up the field, there are instances when you do have to clear your lines though, and teaching players when to make this decision when they will have less confidence in heading... its a tough one..

Cage fighting is a completely different kettle of fish, as is any combat sport, head guards are worn in training and fighting all the way up to amateur level.. Plus in sparring no one should be looking to take each others head off..
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:17 - Jul 28 with 2632 viewsBoston

Why do women experience dementia at the same rate as men?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:20 - Jul 28 with 2626 viewsBoston

Do football players have higher rates of dementia than the average member of the public?

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:24 - Jul 28 with 2612 viewsMaggsinho

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:20 - Jul 28 by Boston

Do football players have higher rates of dementia than the average member of the public?

A study in 2019 found footballers were three and a half times more likely to do from dementia than the average person.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:30 - Jul 28 with 2599 viewsKonk

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:20 - Jul 28 by Boston

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/21/landmark

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/football-heading-dementia-risk

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:49 - Jul 28 with 2560 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Opening what looks like an interesting thread and finding dementia denial.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:52 - Jul 28 with 2551 viewsBoston

Mrs Boston has just informed me dementia is more common in women than men.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:59 - Jul 28 with 2537 viewsGloryHunter

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:52 - Jul 28 by Boston

Mrs Boston has just informed me dementia is more common in women than men.

Mrs Boston needs to give her evidence to the Alzheimer's Society. They have clearly been wasting their time up till now.
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 23:23 - Jul 28 with 2505 viewsLoftgirl

absolute drivel.

"aloud".
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 23:43 - Jul 28 with 2485 viewsBazzeR

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:17 - Jul 28 by Boston

Why do women experience dementia at the same rate as men?

That’s partly true because the study’s on Dementia show that women generally live longer.

There are many types of Dementia and some types are more likely to be found in men.

I went to some group sessions on coping with Dementia whilst caring for an elderly relative.

Sorry Boston I meant to quote your earlier post ‘more women suffer with Dementia than men’
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 2:37]
Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 00:40 - Jul 29 with 2401 viewsBoston

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:59 - Jul 28 by GloryHunter

Mrs Boston needs to give her evidence to the Alzheimer's Society. They have clearly been wasting their time up till now.

Actually, they have to submit their evidence to her.

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 00:56 - Jul 29 with 2384 viewsSharpy36

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 22:59 - Jul 28 by GloryHunter

Women win 2-1

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/why-dementia-different-women

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 01:41 - Jul 29 with 2352 viewsBoston

Heading the ball to be restricted, starting this season on 00:56 - Jul 29 by Sharpy36

Women win 2-1

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/why-dementia-different-women

Thanks Sharpy, but it's one of those situations where there is no winner. I believe that the likelihood of succumbing to this condition may be genetic, no ill will to others but thank god I've never heard of anyone in my family / antecedents suffering from any form of dementia...then again, how would I know, we were all 'touched' to begin with.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024