Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, 12:21 - Jul 29 with 7454 viewsbollockchops

its my eldest brother and he is watching it as well as Rangers play Liverpool,Eastoe scores up the Kop end but then it all goes belly up with Keegan (who looked off side ) scoring and Rangers losing 3-1 but as the goals went in it seemed to me that Parkes was having a mare ! Which then led the conversation towards who was Rangers best keeper and who was the worst !
We both agreed that in the worst catorgory first place went to Tony Roberts although my brother mentioned someone called Richardson who was bad !
And the best was a mixed bag as i liked Ludo just because of that song,he mentioned Jan Steskal , Budgie and Kelly but we couldnt decide so over to you !
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 12:34 - Jul 29 with 4336 viewshantssi

Best has to be Parkes and Seaman with honourable mentions to Jan and Hucker.
Worst, where to you begin?
As mentioned Roberts and Richardson but what about Bankole (sp)?
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 12:36 - Jul 29 with 4330 views80s_Boy

I've heard few people defend Derek Richardson but I never saw him play.

Is it because he replaced Parkes which makes him naturally unpopular or was he bad?

Steskal is possibly one of the most underrated players in our history. He was a superb keeper.

Bankole is the worst I and, I imagine, most have ever seen.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:00 - Jul 29 with 4265 viewsted_hendrix

Best? probably Ron Springett, we've been blessed with bloody good goalkeepers over the years, too many to mention.

Tony Roberts scared me to death.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:07 - Jul 29 with 4244 viewsdsw2509

We have been lucky with goalkeepers. Over my time (since mid 70’s) I would rate Seaman (not on free kicks though), Stejskal (after the first 6 games or so) and Chris Day (critical in L1 promotion season). On balance I would go for Stejskal if I had to pick one.

On the worst, I think Roberts wins, just for sheer longevity.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:36 - Jul 29 with 4173 viewsthehat

Yes best probably Stejskal brilliant in our best Premier League team Top London club and all that.

My favourite was Chris Day - Bloody brilliant with his blue hair and the Oldham semi final save is up there with Gordon Banks

Special mention to Peter Hucker and Paddy Kenny
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:44 - Jul 29 with 4152 viewsCamberleyR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 12:36 - Jul 29 by 80s_Boy

Is it because he replaced Parkes which makes him naturally unpopular or was he bad?

Steskal is possibly one of the most underrated players in our history. He was a superb keeper.

Richardson wasn't very good (certainly wasn't first division standard) but he was always going to be on a hiding to nothing following Parkes in a soon to be relegated, extremely poorly managed team (Steve Burtenshaw grrrr).

For me, of keepers I've seen live:

Best: naturally Parkes
Worst: Without a doubt, Coco the Clown Roberts. Like with cricket averages where you have to have a certain amount of innings/games to qualify, as Bankole only played about 25 minutes for us (thankfully), I'm excluding him.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:54 - Jul 29 with 4122 viewsstevec

Best were Parkes and Seaman. Woods, Burridge and Stejskal fight it out for 3rd.

Roberts the worst, Lumley runs him close. Did one train the other?

Anyone remember Alan Spratley? Probably could have been half decent if he wasn’t so short, I’d say I was tall as him when I was 10 years old.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:56 - Jul 29 with 4115 views80s_Boy

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:54 - Jul 29 by stevec

Anyone remember Alan Spratley? Probably could have been half decent if he wasn’t so short, I’d say I was tall as him when I was 10 years old.

Very surprised to see Lumley mentioned to be honest.
Login to get fewer ads

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 14:16 - Jul 29 with 4079 viewsterryb

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:00 - Jul 29 by ted_hendrix

Best? probably Ron Springett, we've been blessed with bloody good goalkeepers over the years, too many to mention.

Tony Roberts scared me to death.

Let me be the first to name a 'keeper as our worst who has been nominated as our best! Of course, it is possible that Ron could win both awards.

I didn't see Ron when he was at Rangers first time & he may well have been exceptional. After all, he gained a transfer to the top division & became an England international.

After his return in 1967 though he was absymal! This was highlighted on Boxing Day 1968 when WBA forwards stopped trying to score goals. Tony Brown (in particular) & others aimed at Ron running away from them rather than at the goal & this was the main reason they only scored four. Tony Roberts was world class in comparison!

Phil Parkes is the best I've seen, with Chris Day being my favourite.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 14:21 - Jul 29 with 4062 viewsterryb

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 13:54 - Jul 29 by stevec

I thought Spratley & Kelly were decent second tier 'keepers, but neither was good enough for the top division.

I always thought that Spratley never quite regained his form after being attacked by a Blackburn fan at Ewood Park. That was in the days when we often won there!

Kelly went on to become the goalkeeping coach for the England national side (unless that was a different Mike Kelly!).
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 14:51 - Jul 29 with 4020 viewsBoston

Agree with the Richardson observations, average keeper who had the misfortune to follow a legend.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 15:53 - Jul 29 with 3947 viewsQPRSteve

I thought Kelly was awful. I remember we conned Birmingham into buying him and the following week stuck five past him at Loftus Road.

Parkes and Stejskal for me as our best.

I don't suppose there's anyone old enough on here to give a thumbs up for Reg Allen?
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 18:28 - Jul 29 with 3830 views80s_Boy

You never see anyone suggesting Chris Woods in these types of threads or conversations.

Widely accepted as one of the better keepers in the 80s/90s he's seldom mentioned by our fans.

I never saw him play for us so can't comment, but what's the general consensus among those who did?
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 18:47 - Jul 29 with 3807 viewshantssi

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 18:28 - Jul 29 by 80s_Boy

You never see anyone suggesting Chris Woods in these types of threads or conversations.

Widely accepted as one of the better keepers in the 80s/90s he's seldom mentioned by our fans.

I never saw him play for us so can't comment, but what's the general consensus among those who did?

Lack of concentration was his real issue, when the ball was at the other end he’d often lean against the post and appear to fall asleep!
None of this on the edge of the box sweeper keeper modern nonsense!!
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 18:49 - Jul 29 with 3803 viewsterryb

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 18:28 - Jul 29 by 80s_Boy

In my view, Woods cost us promotion in 79/80.

He went on to have a very good career, but he wasn't great while at Rangers.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 19:01 - Jul 29 with 3779 viewsE17hoop

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 19:35 - Jul 29 with 3742 viewsPBLOCK

Best for me since I’ve been going (Mid 80’s) is probably Seaman, Big Jan I always like too. Paddy Kenny was exceptional our Promotion season and was dispensed with far too early when other areas of the team needed addressing. Honourable mentions to Day, Camp and also Cerny who was more than decent for us.

Roberts has been covered off enough and he was pretty pony his biggest problem was his concentration and his love of hugging his goal line. Bankole was awful but fortunately only 25 mins.

Others who I never rated

Sommer Amazing display against Villa at home apart was pretty dreadful
Dykstra Pretty useless all round
Barron Didn’t like him as a kid always though Hucker was far better
Johns Was quite frankly sh!t
Culkin was also average to poor
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 19:51 - Jul 29 with 3707 viewsWatfordR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 12:36 - Jul 29 by 80s_Boy

Derek Richardson stood in for Parkes on a few occasions and looked fine. He made one save against Liverpool I think from a double deflected shot that was almost unbelievable.

Unfortunately the minute he got the gloves after Parkes left, he gradually got worse and worse, and could hardly catch the ball by the end of the season we got relegated.

But, like many others have suggested, he was still leagues better than Tony Roberts. The difference between Tony Roberts and a dustbin is that a dustbin didn't have legs to let the ball through. He was fkng useless.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 19:57 - Jul 29 with 3699 viewsCamberleyR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 18:49 - Jul 29 by terryb

In my view, Woods cost us promotion in 79/80.

He went on to have a very good career, but he wasn't great while at Rangers.

I'd agree with that. Woods wasn't even 20 when we signed him and at that stage probably wasn't quite ready to be a first choice, despite the fact he'd got a League Cup winners medal at Forest ( Shilton being cup tied).

Docherty should have looked to sign a more experienced keeper for that first season back in the second division.

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 20:40 - Jul 29 with 3644 viewsBoston

The only pic of Richardson on the Official is this one, which I remember seeing in a wider scope. He is wearing a Chelsea kit.
https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/features/qpr-black-history-timeline/

Edit, he is second from left.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 20:42]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 21:01 - Jul 29 with 3595 viewsCamberleyR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 20:40 - Jul 29 by Boston

The only pic of Richardson on the Official is this one, which I remember seeing in a wider scope. He is wearing a Chelsea kit.
https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/features/qpr-black-history-timeline/

Edit, he is second from left.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 20:42]

This is the full picture. Didn't they have a picture of him from his time at Rangers?

A young Steve Sherwood next to Macreadie
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 21:06]

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 21:11 - Jul 29 with 3562 views80s_Boy

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 21:01 - Jul 29 by CamberleyR

This is the full picture. Didn't they have a picture of him from his time at Rangers?

A young Steve Sherwood next to Macreadie
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 21:06]

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 21:43 - Jul 29 with 3520 viewsdenhamhoop2

Nick Cullin was awful with a dishonourable mention to Lee Harper. Derek Richardson was not good but being former Chelsea following Parksey and being mixed race probably didn't help. As for best Spunky just ahead of Parkes with Stejskal Smithies and Bucket next in line depending on your age
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:19 - Jul 29 with 3468 viewsCamberleyR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 21:11 - Jul 29 by 80s_Boy

Yeah, I've seen that picture as I follow that site on Twitter. I know he only played a small number of games for us but surely they must have had even that picture. I was questioning why the official site could only use a cropped picture of him from his time at the other team in Fulham.

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:26 - Jul 29 with 3458 viewsHastings_Hoops

I’m always amazed at how harsh people are about Roberts… ok, he was certainly not in our top notch list of keepers, but he did have an ability to pull off the odd remarkable save. I still remember the triple save against Swindon in the FA Cup (1992ish) and let’s not forget that he and Stejskal shared game-time 50/50 for much of that halcyon period.

…to bring Chris Day into the mix (notwithstanding that I loved him in the context of our league status) is a little wide of the mark.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024