Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for refs. 16:43 - Aug 12 with 986 viewsEsox_Lucius

If a player checks his run up because the GK has moved off his line early, can the referee take action against him for doing it? If, no, does that mean he can carry on checking his run up until the GK stays on his line at the moment the ball is kicked?

The grass is always greener.

Question for refs. on 16:55 - Aug 12 with 951 viewsPinnerPaul

OOOOOO good question.

Firstly player IS allowed to 'check his run up' regardless of what GK is doing.

"feinting in the run up is permitted"

LOTG (not for the only time) are a bit contradictory.

They say "When the ball is kicked, the GK must have at least part of one foot touching, or line with the goal line" implying that is a requirement at that time but earlier says "The GK must remain on the line......until the ball is kicked" implying he should be there earlier!

Bearing in mind that if a penalty is misses the goal, it matters not what the GK does, as long as hasn't impacted on the penalty taker, in real life you won't get a referee penalising the GK in your scenario.

If kicker just came to stop and started moaning about the GK, I would just remind them both of what they are supposed to do, and tell them to get on with it!
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 17:45]
Question for refs. on 11:08 - Aug 13 with 654 viewsPinnerPaul

Got an answer from a more senior referee on RefChat.

Pretty much as I said, although I would still have a word with the kicker - not his job to monitor GK movement IMHO.

"Law 14 states:

The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar or goal net, until the ball has been kicked.

Therefore the keeper has committed an offence by leaving his line before the ball is kicked - assuming that the kicker has not feinted after it is deemed his run up is complete.

However the good book does not expressly cover this scenario, as it only refers to what happens if a goal is or isn't scored. In this case some of the lawyers on here could argue that as the kick hasn't been taken you can't apply either scenario.

It also states:

if the ball misses the goal or rebounds from the crossbar or goalpost(s), the kick is only retaken if the goalkeeper’s offence clearly impacted on the kicker

My view would be that the keeper has offended before the kick has been taken and whilst it's not missed or rebounded, the GK's offence has clearly impacted on the kicker, therefore you would warn the GK for a first offence or caution for a second offence and retake the penalty kick.

I think this is a prime example of the LOTG not being able to cover every single scenario that could possibly happen, but would rely on the "What would football expect?" approach."
Question for refs. on 12:09 - Aug 13 with 605 viewsEsox_Lucius

Question for refs. on 11:08 - Aug 13 by PinnerPaul

Got an answer from a more senior referee on RefChat.

Pretty much as I said, although I would still have a word with the kicker - not his job to monitor GK movement IMHO.

"Law 14 states:

The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar or goal net, until the ball has been kicked.

Therefore the keeper has committed an offence by leaving his line before the ball is kicked - assuming that the kicker has not feinted after it is deemed his run up is complete.

However the good book does not expressly cover this scenario, as it only refers to what happens if a goal is or isn't scored. In this case some of the lawyers on here could argue that as the kick hasn't been taken you can't apply either scenario.

It also states:

if the ball misses the goal or rebounds from the crossbar or goalpost(s), the kick is only retaken if the goalkeeper’s offence clearly impacted on the kicker

My view would be that the keeper has offended before the kick has been taken and whilst it's not missed or rebounded, the GK's offence has clearly impacted on the kicker, therefore you would warn the GK for a first offence or caution for a second offence and retake the penalty kick.

I think this is a prime example of the LOTG not being able to cover every single scenario that could possibly happen, but would rely on the "What would football expect?" approach."

Thanks for responding. Other than having a word, should the kicker persist in checking his run for the GK moving off his line what could be done to resolve it? It would appear nothing is the answer and I doubt a PK taker would ever enact this scenario, they just seem to accept that it is part of the toing and froing in these situations.

The grass is always greener.

Question for refs. on 12:40 - Aug 13 with 571 viewsPinnerPaul

Question for refs. on 12:09 - Aug 13 by Esox_Lucius

Thanks for responding. Other than having a word, should the kicker persist in checking his run for the GK moving off his line what could be done to resolve it? It would appear nothing is the answer and I doubt a PK taker would ever enact this scenario, they just seem to accept that it is part of the toing and froing in these situations.

If he persisted, even after a warning, then that would be a yellow.

You could put 'Delaying the Restart' or just 'Unspecified USB' on the reporting form.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024