Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 07:10 - Aug 29 with 28098 viewsdmm

It's been mentioned a few times but I do hope Dykes game changing cameo and goal yesterday finally silences his remaining critics.

Yes, he came on late and played against a tiring opposition, but his goal - 3rd of the season - showed great skill and owed nothing to Coventry's tired defence.

He may not be the complete goal scoring striker, but what he has got is plenty good enough for us.
Lyndon Dykes on 07:17 - Aug 29 with 7881 viewsLogman

Agreed, he did well and got on top of the Coventry defenders. We still need a rapid striker to get in behind an opposition back four though.
Lyndon Dykes on 07:31 - Aug 29 with 7801 viewsnix

I agree. They've still been coming out to say that he's been poor (despite playing through a chest infection) even though it's so early in the season and he did so well at the end of the last season.

For some reason they also always say, I hope he proves me wrong, as if it's some competition they've both signed up for.

I just am delighted that we've got a goal-scoring forward finally, that is our own player, that bursts a sinew, is young enough to improve, is obviously keen to learn, and hasn't cost the earth.

I'm hard-pressed to understand why other QPR fans aren't delighted too.

Warbs obviously saw something in him and has continued to back him even in lean periods. Do I think he'll have lean periods again? Yes, obviously. He's learning his craft and he's human. He'll get targeted more, he'll have off days, he'll be knackered in mid-season, he may lose confidence from time to time. But I really hope people don't get on his back again because I really think he's done enough for us to give him a break.

Anyway, well done Lyndon.
Lyndon Dykes on 07:50 - Aug 29 with 7735 viewsdavman

Lyndon Dykes on 07:31 - Aug 29 by nix

I agree. They've still been coming out to say that he's been poor (despite playing through a chest infection) even though it's so early in the season and he did so well at the end of the last season.

For some reason they also always say, I hope he proves me wrong, as if it's some competition they've both signed up for.

I just am delighted that we've got a goal-scoring forward finally, that is our own player, that bursts a sinew, is young enough to improve, is obviously keen to learn, and hasn't cost the earth.

Warbs obviously saw something in him and has continued to back him even in lean periods. Do I think he'll have lean periods again? Yes, obviously. He's learning his craft and he's human. He'll get targeted more, he'll have off days, he'll be knackered in mid-season, he may lose confidence from time to time. But I really hope people don't get on his back again because I really think he's done enough for us to give him a break.

I am delighted as he has proven me wrong and is looking a valuable player - 10 goals in his last 14 games is hard to argue with. It is brilliant.

However, he was crap for those first few months. Whether that was because of the culture shock of the move, the jump up in class of the football, the Pandemic, the juxtaposition of the position of the planet and his hair colour or the form of the team, no-one should deny that.

Putting aside feelings of whether anyone should criticise players or nor, we all agree that right?

Long may this improvement continue...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lyndon Dykes on 08:07 - Aug 29 with 7648 viewstraininvain

Lyndon Dykes on 07:50 - Aug 29 by davman

I am delighted as he has proven me wrong and is looking a valuable player - 10 goals in his last 14 games is hard to argue with. It is brilliant.

However, he was crap for those first few months. Whether that was because of the culture shock of the move, the jump up in class of the football, the Pandemic, the juxtaposition of the position of the planet and his hair colour or the form of the team, no-one should deny that.

Putting aside feelings of whether anyone should criticise players or nor, we all agree that right?

I don’t even think he was crap early on. I saw enough in his early games to suggest that he’d come good and said as much on here. It was always going to take a bit of time to adjust.

Hopefully it’s a lesson not to write players off as ‘crap’ after only a few months. Let’s try to have more patience and not throw our toys out the pram when we inevitably lose a game this season (not directed at you in any way btw)!
Lyndon Dykes on 08:10 - Aug 29 with 7641 viewsHoopstar

It was my first opportunity to watch him up close at a live game yesterday - he really had the look of the devil in his eye when bullying their defenders and winning headers and knock downs, a lot more players around him with the wing back formation for the ball to be headed towards then his first six months with us where the whole team was struggling.

I'd be really surprised if he doesn't score 18+ this season - looks to be another really shrewd signing who is getting better and better to me. Playing with a big grin on his face always a pleasure to see as well!
Lyndon Dykes on 08:17 - Aug 29 with 7603 viewsDorse

Didn't know what to make of Dykes when he arrived but I remember feeling pretty positive about the way he played. At the time, Warburton had set up the team in a 4-2-3-1 and Dykes was effectively the tip of the spear. He was also the only senior striker in the squad (his back up was Oteh plus the lesser-spotted Ramkilde). He always looked busy, wasn't afraid of a row with the oppo centre backs and he never hid during games or coated off teammates for mistimed passes etc.

I don't really know what point I am trying to make here but the Dykes we see today is often playing with much more support, in a different formation, with better supply and more often on the front foot. Warburton always backed him and maybe this is because he knew that Dykes could (and would) be more effective with an adjustment to the formation. I suppose we're all just 'getting it' too, hence the changes of mind. Doesn't mean people were necessarily wrong to question Warburton's logic- no one had the whole picture.

Either way, Dykes was never the new Eric Sabin, Tamas Priskin or Tomer Hemed. And for this, Lord, we thank Thee.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Lyndon Dykes on 08:26 - Aug 29 with 7532 viewsnix

I still don't think he was crap in the first few months, no. That would suggest to me that you could see nothing in him to believe that he would make it, which I don't agree with. He nowhere looked the finished product, I'd certainly agree that, but crap, no.

And of course we can criticise players, but when it gets to the point where they seem to be looking for them to have a bad spell so they can get on their backs, or seeming to overlook any good points I don't think it's very helpful. People were saying he was never going to make it. I just don't understand that given the constraints of the first few months in a struggling team, when his manager clearly backed him.

And personally I can't bear that I hope he proves me wrong trope. It just seems to be pervasive among those in paragraph two above.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:02 - Aug 29 with 7349 viewslondonscottish

Lyndon Dykes on 08:17 - Aug 29 by Dorse

Didn't know what to make of Dykes when he arrived but I remember feeling pretty positive about the way he played. At the time, Warburton had set up the team in a 4-2-3-1 and Dykes was effectively the tip of the spear. He was also the only senior striker in the squad (his back up was Oteh plus the lesser-spotted Ramkilde). He always looked busy, wasn't afraid of a row with the oppo centre backs and he never hid during games or coated off teammates for mistimed passes etc.

I don't really know what point I am trying to make here but the Dykes we see today is often playing with much more support, in a different formation, with better supply and more often on the front foot. Warburton always backed him and maybe this is because he knew that Dykes could (and would) be more effective with an adjustment to the formation. I suppose we're all just 'getting it' too, hence the changes of mind. Doesn't mean people were necessarily wrong to question Warburton's logic- no one had the whole picture.

Either way, Dykes was never the new Eric Sabin, Tamas Priskin or Tomer Hemed. And for this, Lord, we thank Thee.

"the Dykes we see today is often playing with much more support, in a different formation, with better supply and more often on the front foot".

That's the nub of it. When Dykes was struggling to score goals for Rangers at the beginning of his time here he was banging them in for fun for Scotland. Where the formation was working much better at the time and where he was getting loads of service.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 09:27 - Aug 29 with 7222 viewsdublinr

We would all agree he struggled badly when he arrived. But we wouldn't all agree with writing a player off as 'crap' so early in his time with us, especially not one with Dyke's obvious attributes and temperament.

There is something annoying about the 'hope he proves me wrong' line. I think its the implication that every Dykes has an off day, his detractors can celebrate a win for them. Surely we'd all prefer it when he plays well, and could enjoy QPR wins together without dragging up old 'crap/not crap' arguments.

Lyndon Dykes on 09:27 - Aug 29 with 7221 viewsParkRoyalR

No he wasn't crap for the first few months although it's arguable he was playing with a crap midfield that created very little and BO'S who couldn't cross and didn't know what he was doing next himself and Chair who was playing the half-time head-down game and taking too many touches and slowing down attacks.

Dykes was playing well for Scotland at this time but wasn't taking the odd chance we created, not at Hughill or Wells levels of missed chances, it was just we were creating so few.

Developing into the decent Championship level striker he looked from the off.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:32 - Aug 29 with 7200 viewsdavman

Lyndon Dykes on 08:26 - Aug 29 by nix

I still don't think he was crap in the first few months, no. That would suggest to me that you could see nothing in him to believe that he would make it, which I don't agree with. He nowhere looked the finished product, I'd certainly agree that, but crap, no.

And of course we can criticise players, but when it gets to the point where they seem to be looking for them to have a bad spell so they can get on their backs, or seeming to overlook any good points I don't think it's very helpful. People were saying he was never going to make it. I just don't understand that given the constraints of the first few months in a struggling team, when his manager clearly backed him.

And personally I can't bear that I hope he proves me wrong trope. It just seems to be pervasive among those in paragraph two above.

I won't labour the point as I see little point in falling out with anyone over opinions, which are individual's prerogative's and there is no "right" or "wrong" opinions around subjective topics like this (we should have all learnt that from the COVID thread...), but I don't see how thinking he was playing crap from around the fifth or sixth game last season up until Xmas equates to me suggesting that he would never make it. Mine was an observation at the time. Until Charlie came last season, we did offer NOTHING up front (in my opinion).

There probably were a whole heap of mitigating reasons for why he wasn't performing as well as he is now and that is great that he and the team have overcome them. I know it wasn't directed solely at me, but I was not one of those who "were saying he was never going to make it". I didn't. My observation was that his confidence was absolutely shot by October and November and that he was playing crap. Note - not that he was crap, or would always be crap, but just that he was not good enough at that time (again in my opinion).

I also would say that, whilst I accepted that Dykes was putting a shift in and could not be faulted for effort, he wasn't scoring and he showed a severe lack of striker's instinct during that bad run (probably due to an understandable lack of confidence as the run without a goal in open play continued). I didn't overlook those "good points" as they should be the bare minimum for anyone who goes on the field of play.

...and to traininvain, thanks for observing that the comment wasn't specifically at me, but I am guilty as charged. In the cold late of day, I reflect on how I react to our results, but as much as I know that a limp cup exit to a minnow or a second defeat on the trot may not matter in the whole scheme of things, at the time it does and it is a sign of impending doom. What I am starting to do (thanks to this team) is just enjoy the football. We are so massively open as a team that there is no way on earth (again in my opinion) that this team would thrive in the top flight, but, my god, it is FUN to watch them and lovely knowing that we have more than a chance of getting a result every single game.

Apologies, maybe I have "laboured the point" somewhat there!

Just an opinion, mind!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lyndon Dykes on 09:39 - Aug 29 with 7170 viewsessextaxiboy

Lyndon Dykes on 07:31 - Aug 29 by nix

In December last year we were staring down the barrel of a season where we were in the bottom 6 with Dykes , Bonne and Kelman as our only strikers .

Dykes had one goal from open play against Brentford , Bonne ran offside for fun and Kelman was (is) too raw to pin our hopes on .

TBH we had seen little of the Dykes from Scotland who left defenders feeling like they had been in a street fight . He wasnt winning aerial duels , holding the ball up , and missing chances .

The trigger for the form we see now was Charlie Austin arriving . Whether we would have seen it anyway can only be guesswork , but my guess is it would have been in League 1.

I am delighted that he is proving my early misgivings wrong .
Lyndon Dykes on 09:42 - Aug 29 with 7151 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A lesson in giving people a chance and appreciating the value of the rough diamond system we are deploying.

If you watched him 10 months ago you never would have thought he’d have scored 2 goals let alone 20 up till now.

Could not be more pleased and I hope he’s in people minds when discussing George Thomas.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 9:42]
Lyndon Dykes on 09:47 - Aug 29 with 7120 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 09:39 - Aug 29 by essextaxiboy

In December last year we were staring down the barrel of a season where we were in the bottom 6 with Dykes , Bonne and Kelman as our only strikers .

Dykes had one goal from open play against Brentford , Bonne ran offside for fun and Kelman was (is) too raw to pin our hopes on .

TBH we had seen little of the Dykes from Scotland who left defenders feeling like they had been in a street fight . He wasnt winning aerial duels , holding the ball up , and missing chances .

The trigger for the form we see now was Charlie Austin arriving . Whether we would have seen it anyway can only be guesswork , but my guess is it would have been in League 1.

I am delighted that he is proving my early misgivings wrong .

I think Bonne would have done well off Dykes's knock-on's yesterday and still think they could be an effective Championship pairing. Hopefully loan spell works as Iike his energy and pace and he could really improve given time with our coaching staff.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:45 - Aug 29 with 6966 viewsMrSheen

I think he’s also benefiting from permissive refereeing. He was having a ball yesterday doing the Aussie Rules early jump which gives you a ride on your marker. Paul Furlong would have loved it out there instead of getting whistled every thirty seconds.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:06 - Aug 29 with 6916 viewsCiderwithRsie

I think people expect him to be a bit crap and some can't move on from that hot-take. He looks like a target man (which is a pretty limited sort of striker) and he came from a rubbish league. Throw in that long goalless-run and "League 1 at best" is the knee-jerk reaction.

I think he's a much cleverer and more skilful player than that. A compilation tape of his goals would look pretty good. Plus he is big enough to be awkward. I think he's far from the finished article and I wish he had a bit more pace but if you look at how many he scores and makes already I get quite excited about what he might turn out to be with another year of Warbs' coaching.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:30 - Aug 29 with 6842 viewsStainrod

I remember when Helguson arrived he was similarly dismissed as "crap" after one particularly bad miss and a run of not finding the net. But he went out on loan, came back and even the knockers realised we had a gem. But tbh he was still very much the same player they had booed, but now he had the likes of Adel feeding off his knock downs and suddenly his ability to lead the line looked very impressive.

Even when Dykes was in that lean period he was battling like crazy, even to prevent a throw. Someone has remarked "that's the bare minimum" but the reality is in a struggling side, some players stop battling. He didn't, and fired up his teammates. Anyone can "give it large" in a winning team, much harder in one losing every week.

I'm not blind to his faults and he has had a couple of poor games this season (might have been Millwall where he was anonymous?) but he is still scoring the goals and yesterday was clearly fit and rested Coventry couldn't cope with him.

I never saw him as an Eric Sabin. I suppose the fear was after his late season flurry last season he would be the Patrick Agymang - fading after a brilliant streak - but he has certainly put those fears to bed already. You would have to say on current form it should be him starting and Charlie coming off the bench late in games which is the only time we seem to get lots of balls into the box.
Lyndon Dykes on 21:36 - Aug 29 with 6483 viewshantssi

Lyndon Dykes on 11:06 - Aug 29 by CiderwithRsie

I think people expect him to be a bit crap and some can't move on from that hot-take. He looks like a target man (which is a pretty limited sort of striker) and he came from a rubbish league. Throw in that long goalless-run and "League 1 at best" is the knee-jerk reaction.

I think he's a much cleverer and more skilful player than that. A compilation tape of his goals would look pretty good. Plus he is big enough to be awkward. I think he's far from the finished article and I wish he had a bit more pace but if you look at how many he scores and makes already I get quite excited about what he might turn out to be with another year of Warbs' coaching.

Closely watch his movement for the goal, he moved out of the box to create space for himself.
Like watching Chaz seemingly being in the right place at the right time, it’s actually all about movement.
Think he’ll develop into a very good Championship striker not sure if the Prem might be a bit much for him but you never know if he keeps developing at this rate and playing with better players.
Long may it continue.
Lyndon Dykes on 21:43 - Aug 29 with 6449 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lyndon Dykes on 21:36 - Aug 29 by hantssi

Closely watch his movement for the goal, he moved out of the box to create space for himself.
Like watching Chaz seemingly being in the right place at the right time, it’s actually all about movement.
Think he’ll develop into a very good Championship striker not sure if the Prem might be a bit much for him but you never know if he keeps developing at this rate and playing with better players.
Long may it continue.

"Closely watch his movement for the goal, he moved out of the box to create space for himself."

Excellent play.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lyndon Dykes on 21:56 - Aug 29 with 6403 viewsdaveB

I think at times Dykes can look quite poor, those first 3 games he looked a bit of a weak link in the attack but since his goal at Hull you can see the confidence has come back and he looked really good coming on yesterday. Not just his goal but his all round game he was strong holding the ball up really causing them problems.

I do think whoever starts up front for us is going to struggle a bit this season unless the midfield start the game a lot better than they have so far this season.
Lyndon Dykes on 22:08 - Aug 29 with 6368 viewsBoston

Lyndon Dykes on 09:47 - Aug 29 by ParkRoyalR

I think Bonne would have done well off Dykes's knock-on's yesterday and still think they could be an effective Championship pairing. Hopefully loan spell works as Iike his energy and pace and he could really improve given time with our coaching staff.

Ha, and this is where we would differ. Bonne looked a handier player than Dykes when he came in the door, but I'd changed my mind pretty rapidly after a couple of appearances. Dykes has bottle in abundance, Bonne is a bottle case...in my opinion.

Oops sorry, I've sort of missed your point, but no, I don't think Bonne will cut it at this level.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 22:11]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Lyndon Dykes on 22:09 - Aug 29 with 6358 viewsW7Ranger

It also coincided with Willock's upturn in form in the new year, as well as Wallace. The assists from those 2 as well as a reinvigorated Chair made a massive difference.
Lyndon Dykes on 22:13 - Aug 29 with 6338 viewsBoston

Lyndon Dykes on 22:09 - Aug 29 by W7Ranger

It also coincided with Willock's upturn in form in the new year, as well as Wallace. The assists from those 2 as well as a reinvigorated Chair made a massive difference.

Indeed, Chair's no lazy boy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Lyndon Dykes on 08:40 - Aug 30 with 6034 viewsgazza1

Lyndon Dykes on 22:08 - Aug 29 by Boston

Ha, and this is where we would differ. Bonne looked a handier player than Dykes when he came in the door, but I'd changed my mind pretty rapidly after a couple of appearances. Dykes has bottle in abundance, Bonne is a bottle case...in my opinion.

Oops sorry, I've sort of missed your point, but no, I don't think Bonne will cut it at this level.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 22:11]

Harsh first para Boston.

Dykes played very well when he came on as sub yesterday, took his goal very well, won quite a few headers, put himself around (he normally does), hit a decent shot from the right and overall was good....if he could do that more often then I would not complain so much.

I should add that I think Dykes is a good lad and a good team player who works hard for the team.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 8:45]
Lyndon Dykes on 09:29 - Aug 30 with 5897 viewsMyke

I think when Dykes joined us first he was very raw, which was perfectly understandable. New club, new country, new city, far away from family, lockdown; very easy to find mitigating circumstances.Scoring 4 penalties early on (have we even won four more in the intervening year?) helped camouflage his early uncertainty. Then (apart from scoring against Brentford, which should have earned him more credit and would have done if there had been a crowd there) he had a long drought, coinciding with the team playing poorly and unable to score generally. But again, 'he works hard' was his saving grace. I wasn't watching him regularly, but it was either against Millwall or Stoke that I feared he would not make it. His confidence was clearly shot, he was missing presentable chances or worse still not even in position for them, his reactions seemed poor and even his workrate appeared to have dropped.
However, there is no question he has turned it around and he is now a very useful striker at this level and has the potential to be a very good one. Confidence is HUGE for strikers and I am delighted that a couple of shots he took this season -v Hull and Boro - went in, to give him a boost, especially at a time he was feeling unwell. As for being not the quickest, that may be true in terms of actual pace, but he has quick feet and a quick brain, as he demonstrated on Saturday, v Man Utd in pre-season and against Rotherham last season, not to mention his (not always converted) assists. I like him a lot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024