Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) 16:38 - Oct 5 with 2940 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who did you attend your first game with and are they all still with us?

For me, it was my Dad (still with us), my Brother (tragically taken from us - by Arsenal) and my Dad's friends from the 70's, many now gone from this life, hopefully to an eternal and joyful one, bless them. I've been thinking about them a bit recently. I started going as a baby, and I'm sure they gave me a lap, a few words of wisdom and maybe a sup of their drink.

Are the people you first went it - family and friends - still part of your Rangers day?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 16:52 - Oct 5 with 1873 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

My heartfelt condolences Brian, for your brother!

My first game was with my brother and a group of German swimmers who were staying with us at the time. Easter Monday 1986, you may remember it.

The Germans no longer visit but my brother still comes to games with me and the pub after!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 16:53 - Oct 5 with 1871 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 16:52 - Oct 5 by CliveWilsonSaid

My heartfelt condolences Brian, for your brother!

My first game was with my brother and a group of German swimmers who were staying with us at the time. Easter Monday 1986, you may remember it.

The Germans no longer visit but my brother still comes to games with me and the pub after!

What a first game!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 16:58 - Oct 5 with 1854 viewsRangersw12

My first game was 17th March 1990 against Spurs. We won 3 - 1

Went with my brother (he comes with me a couple of times a season with his son), my Dad ( died suddenly in June 2019).

Dad is the reason why I support Rangers and also the reason why my 3 kids and nephew also support them. Dad took me to most home games and some away up until I was a teenager.

As I got older I didn't go with my Dad regularly as lived in different towns and we both went with our own friends but spoke about the game every Sunday which I miss doing terribly

I currently go with a group of mates and have done for years. I still love going to Rangers as much as I did as a kid and since my Dad's passing have an even bigger connection with the club
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 16:58 - Oct 5 with 1854 viewsWatfordR

My first game was in 1972, against Nottingham Forest, the game that saw the debut of a certain Stan Bowles. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Anyway, it was me and my old man. He was keen to get me into football, and had taken me about a month earlier to see Arsenal vs Leicester. Apart from the day out with him, it was entirely unmemorable for me really. But that game against Forest - well Stan tore them to pieces, he was mesmerising, and from that day to this, he's been my number one sporting idol. I couldn't wait to go to my next game. 10 years old and my old man told me "well you know how to get there. Off you go". So a month or so later, off I went, from Kilburn to Shepherds Bush, to see us play Millwall!!!! Like I knew any different back then. Probably just as well. We lost that day 3-1.

Sadly, my dad has been gone since 1981. We were never hugely close to be honest, and as I've discovered since, he kept lots of secrets from me, my mum and my sister that I've since had to find out and confront for myself. It's a shame he never let us know, although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he died suddenly, and say perhaps he intended to when we were older. Still, he's responsible for Rangers being in my life, so I've got to thank him for that.

Nowadays, it's me and my lad, which is great, as we don't live close to each other, so it gives us the opportunity to meet up and chat about what's going on. We have a pint, and recently, the boy even bought a round!
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:05 - Oct 5 with 1829 viewsJuzzie

My Dad and my brother. Both still with us and Dad turned 84 (or was it 85?!) a few weeks ago.

It was 1982 and a bitterly cold October/November Saturday. It was early days in QPR's promotion winning season and we were 2-0 down at half-time to Burnley.

"I'm not fkin coming here again" my Dad said.

We won 3-2.

The rest is history.

Dad moved away from London quite a long time ago and stopped going regularly once my brother and I were old enough to go by ourselves but made the odd game here and there and still follows the results now from time to time.

His last game was Boxing Day 2010 v Swansea when Taarabt scored that goal in a 4-0 thriller.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:06 - Oct 5 with 1814 viewsHayesender

My first ever game was Arsenal v Ipswich 78 or 79. I vaguely remember Paul Marriner playing for Ipswich but not much else.

My first QPR game was home to Rotherham in 81ish. Think it finished 1-1 and I was hooked.

Ps, my Dad took me to both, and thankfully he's still here

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:10 - Oct 5 with 1800 viewsstowmarketrange

My mums friends husband first took me to football when I wanted to go to a match in October 1970.I lived in Roehampton at the time and I was the only one in my family interested in football,so I had no role models,and I could’ve gone to qpr,fulham or the other sh@t as all 3 were only a short bus ride away.
He had a season ticket up in the South Africa Rd stand,but he left me at the turnstiles and I went into the paddocks on my own.That continued for a while until I started coming by bus a year or two later.
Sadly he died in about 1980,but I’d made a few mates by then and moved close to the old tea bar where Q block is now.
Then I stood in the middle of the loft for years until it went in 94?We we’re always in the metal box bit where ML is now.
I’ve tried bringing all 3 of my children in the past,but the only one who stayed was my youngest,until she discovered boys.Now the grandchildren take it in turns to see the home games.
A lot of the mates I’ve gone with over the years have stopped coming now,so it is just me and my brother normally.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 17:12]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:32 - Oct 5 with 1741 viewsA40Bosh

Like Brian I was taken by my dad and I was taken from when I was about 18months old so that is technically around 1969. Apparently When mum came over from Ireland aged 6 her family moved in to a flat on the WC Estate and so on a Saturday dad would take me to LR and mum would go and visit her mum and dad.

Dad is still threatening to start coming back again now that we are playing much better again, after lapsing a couple of years back when things started to stagnate when we fell back in to the championship. He has been so negative about the team the last few seasons I fear him coming back might trigger/coincide another downturn in performance and I might end up throttling him when he starts banging on about this being the worst QPR team he has ever seen!!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:34 - Oct 5 with 1738 viewsBenny_the_Ball

According to my parents (both of whom are still with us) my first game was this. However, I have no memory of it as I was only 2 years old at the time:

In the words of my father, "Terrible game. Last few minutes, up pops Don Givens. 1 nil.
Daylight robbery. Tank you very much."

He also credits me with saving him from a kicking from the 'Wall Massive. After the match there was a group of hooligans looking for a victim. They spotted my parents' QPR scarves but thought twice when they realised that my father had a toddler in his arms.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 17:35]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:38 - Oct 5 with 1727 viewsBklynRanger

I was a 'fresher' at Roehampton during my first actual visit, in Oct '92. I'd been a supporter for 3 or 4 years by then but never much thought about being able to get to many games - luckily some poor A Level results and a last minute scramble through Clearing changed all that - I'd never been further south than Chester at the time.

Went to that 4-1 murdering of Spurs with a new-found friend from Sutton, Vincent Pattrozzi. He was a Spurs fan which made it all the better - no more singing "It's lucky for Spurs when the year ends in 1" for the rest of that weekend - fresh from their victory against Forest the year before obviously. Vince was a history student but maintained that he was headed for “merchant banking“, which he did actually end up in somehow.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:39 - Oct 5 with 1723 viewsbollockchops

I dont remember my first game but one game that sticks out was v Fulham 3-0 with Rachid Harkouk scoring bcos it was the only game my grandad my dad and me went to.that i can remember !
I also have been thinking recently about that bcos everytime i would visit him, he`d ask about the Rangers and id take him a programme and tell him all about what Tony Currie did this week or how good Gordon Hill was but i would always steer the conversation towards his adventures in WW1 ie Hill 60 ,hellfire corner, Vimy Ridge and he would steer it back to the Rangers.
He is gone ,Dads gone but the Rangers are still here !
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:50 - Oct 5 with 1690 viewshantssi

Family holiday in Dawlish ‘69ish, went to a pre season game against Torquay with my dad think it may have been Phil Parkes first game.
Can’t remember my first game at LR but it would have been early ‘70’s and I stood on a stool my dad made for me right at the front of the School End.
I don’t believe he had a season ticket until he retired as he got it cheap!!
He died about 12 years ago with the dreaded Alzheimer's but he got me, my brother and now his grand kids into the R’s!
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 18:45]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:11 - Oct 5 with 1642 viewsA40Bosh

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:38 - Oct 5 by BklynRanger

I was a 'fresher' at Roehampton during my first actual visit, in Oct '92. I'd been a supporter for 3 or 4 years by then but never much thought about being able to get to many games - luckily some poor A Level results and a last minute scramble through Clearing changed all that - I'd never been further south than Chester at the time.

Went to that 4-1 murdering of Spurs with a new-found friend from Sutton, Vincent Pattrozzi. He was a Spurs fan which made it all the better - no more singing "It's lucky for Spurs when the year ends in 1" for the rest of that weekend - fresh from their victory against Forest the year before obviously. Vince was a history student but maintained that he was headed for “merchant banking“, which he did actually end up in somehow.

"I was a 'fresher' at Roehampton during my first actual visit, in Oct '92. I'd been a supporter for 3 or 4 years by then but never much thought about being able to get to many games - luckily some poor A Level results and a last minute scramble through Clearing changed all that - I'd never been further south than Chester at the time."

And what a great Uni Roehampton is!!! They unwittingly bought in to my daughter's psychology experiment 3 years ago of seeing whether it was possible to obtain a pass and a B.SC degree in Psychology whilst sleeping through most of the 3 years of Uni and she was awarded a 2:1 at the end of her course!!!

How we laughed when she told us back in May that her current scores meant that she "was trending towards a 2:1 in her final classification". My Mrs said at the time that if she comes away with a 2:1 then she herself would sign up for a degree somewhere next year.

So we have now learned not to pre-judge the little lady any more as she was obviously doing a lot of research in her sleep and when she was out of bed doing more work than we realised

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:14 - Oct 5 with 1636 viewsR_from_afar

I have played football regularly for donkeys' years - and still do, even though I am now a decrepit 56 year old - but I didn't really support a team until two Rangers supporting colleagues I played football with persuaded me to go to a game in about 2001. I think the first one was at HQ and Crouch was in the team. One of the two colleagues also brought along his dad.

Up until Covid, one of that gang and I were still going to a few games every year, with all four of us attending a match together most seasons. My wife is a glutton for punishment (in so many ways, after all, she has to put up with me ) and she joins us too.

My dear, departed dad was a Spurs fan but I only recall him ever going to one game. He took me along for a birthday treat when I was perhaps 10 and I repaid his generosity by accidentally dousing his sheepskin coat in tomato ketchup blasted out of one of those tomato-shaped plastic dispensers

God bless you, dad, you never moaned about me choosing what, from your perspective, was the wrong London team.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:28 - Oct 5 with 1602 viewsqpr_1968

first game against nottm forest 1968.

went with 2 mates, both brothers.
2 of us were 10 at the time, the older brother who was 12 had to take care of us.
we won 2-1.

stood in the loft, the squeeze getting out at full time was no place for 3 kids of that age, 2 of us ended up being carried out on shoulders.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:29 - Oct 5 with 1600 viewsqpr_1968

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:28 - Oct 5 by qpr_1968

first game against nottm forest 1968.

went with 2 mates, both brothers.
2 of us were 10 at the time, the older brother who was 12 had to take care of us.
we won 2-1.

stood in the loft, the squeeze getting out at full time was no place for 3 kids of that age, 2 of us ended up being carried out on shoulders.

we're all still here.....touch wood.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:52 - Oct 5 with 1545 viewsdmm

My father (long gone now) took me and my best mate at the time to QPR sometime in 1967, before the league cup win. He was a lifelong Hearts supporter, but we'd come down from Edinburgh and lived in Kensal Rise. He know something special was happening to QPR and thought we'd enjoy it!

My mate, Hugh Jones, became a marathon runner and was the first UK London Marathon winner in 1982.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 18:54]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:58 - Oct 5 with 1534 viewslightwaterhoop

Home to West Ham in 1969.My dad and his brother were regulars and decided it was time to introduce to the wonders of QPR.The funny thing is i was 7 years old and can still remember it a little i think it was my first introduction to the world of grown men.I had or have 4 older sisters and it was unthinkable that they would come or even want to.I got Geoff Hurst's autograph that day or rather my Uncle did..
My dad and my Uncle are both gone now but lived to good ages i always think of them for a few moments everytime i'm at Loftus Rd.
About the same time my eldest sister was looking after me for the day and took me to Abbey Rd studios to hang around to meet the Beatles she wanted to meet them i had barely heard of them but i ended up getting Paul and Georges autograph on a 'Help' single which i still have.Heady days for a boy from Ladbroke Grove.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 23:02]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 19:04 - Oct 5 with 1522 viewsQPRSteve

My mate and his dad took me to my first game in 1963. Lost touch with them when I left school.

The game was little like how we've ben playing lately - so it's like I'vecome full circle!

Shrewsbury at home. 4-0 down with about 20 minutes to go and ended up 4-3. I was convinced another 5 minutes and we would have won. Wasn't a big football fan up till then but I was hooked.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 19:12 - Oct 5 with 1498 viewsenfieldargh

My dad took me in 1967 home V Portsmouth 16th December 1967.

I always thought it was boxing day V Plymouth but have given it massive thought I'm pretty sure i can pinpoint that game.

Sadly my Dad passed in 2000 two days after we beat Ipswich at home. Told him about Rob Steiners brace which I think he acknowledged as he was to pass 48 hours later.

Bloody cancer!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 19:51 - Oct 5 with 1443 viewsDavieQPR

First went with my Dad, who died at the age of 97 a few weeks after my Mum also 97. We played in white shirts and blue shorts that season. Can remember my Dad and his friends being impressed with the introduction of floodlights that season.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 20:28 - Oct 5 with 1393 viewsqueensparker

Wow Brian this is a thread that will hit hard for a lot of us!

I first went to Rangers in the early 1980s as a seven year old with my Dad and his two brothers who all grew up in Cleverley Estate, and attending QPR was as religious as church. I had no choice. Dad, Uncle Henry, Uncle Johnny, all three season tickets in the Ellerslie on the halfway line and legend has it their Dad first bought them in the 50s (although I wasn't around for that). Plus all their mates who quickly taught me some new words.

Routine was and still is as religious - Crown and Sceptre beforehand, leave for the game at the last possible moment, Crown and Sceptre after, home. The pub has changed so much in that time, the stadium not so much.

Uncle Johnny and Uncle Henry are now no longer with us now. But the routine has passed on to a whole group of new mates and my brother and cousins and extended family and for me it's my religion now, somewhere I can go every week or so and see the same people and have a bit of consistency in life despite the sh-t.

COVID f--ked that for all of us, and my Dad still hasn't been back yet. He's in his 70s now, has bad asthma, and the whole thing about COVID still worries him which I totally respect. Sitting in those same seats without his two brothers (one standing up and going mental and taking the piss (Johnny), the other quietly muttering happy and /or dark thoughts about the team (Henry)) can't be easy for him either, although as an Irish family obviously we never discuss it.

When that video came out of all the people who had passed from COVID from the club there was, to my total shock, also a lovely bloke who sits in front of us - someone I only ever saw at QPR, not even 100% on his name, but was a mate. That really hit hard too.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 20:56]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 20:32 - Oct 5 with 1368 viewsgazza1

1963......maybe 62, I cant remember. When men were men and women were glad of it back in those days!!!!!
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 20:33]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 20:42 - Oct 5 with 1343 viewsdistortR

I was the first in our family to support QPR, I only did it to piss off my brother.
That worked out well for me......................

Anyway, dad worked away so Mum took me to my first games, but Dad took me to the cup final in '82. Both gone now.

My brother, by the way, has no interest in football. He who laughs last and all that..........
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 20:50 - Oct 5 with 1318 viewsterryb

I went by myself to my first Rangers game - a 0-0 draw away to Orient in 1967.

The first home game was at home to Norwich in August '67. I went with my cousin with my parents driving us to the match. I've no idea where my parents watched the match from, but Rob & myself were in the middle of the Loft.

Both of my parents have passed on, one in their 80's & one in their 90's. Rob had a massive stroke 6 years ago & is close to being housebound. He was the fittest 60 year old that I've ever come across & the best man at my wedding.

As we came to Rangers on a more regular basis, we stood with my brother Dave (resident in Cyprus), Terry Norman (living in Texas) & Dave Sawyer (before he moved to Manchester). We stood on the same bit of terracing each game, just to the left of the goal at the Loft end & a few step up's. Rangers produced a promotion handbook prior to the start of the '68-'69 seson & we were visible in the photo that covered the front & back covers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024