Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) 16:38 - Oct 5 with 2963 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who did you attend your first game with and are they all still with us?

For me, it was my Dad (still with us), my Brother (tragically taken from us - by Arsenal) and my Dad's friends from the 70's, many now gone from this life, hopefully to an eternal and joyful one, bless them. I've been thinking about them a bit recently. I started going as a baby, and I'm sure they gave me a lap, a few words of wisdom and maybe a sup of their drink.

Are the people you first went it - family and friends - still part of your Rangers day?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 21:29 - Oct 5 with 1030 viewsted_hendrix

My brother took me in 1958 I was 8 Years old, we were stood in the loft by the corner flag where there was a tea hut, my vivid memory was the tea pot was bloody massive, late on in the second half an enormous punch up started behind us and I mean enormous so we had to scatter quick and get out, on the trolley bus my Brother said 'don't tell the old man when we get home about the fight or I'll be in the shit', so I told me old man and I wasn't allowed to go again until he forgot about it.

I'm sure It was Leyton Orient we were playing.

Me brother is 81 now (daft bastard).

Working class-wouldn't have it any other way.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 21:43 - Oct 5 with 1000 viewsBklynRanger

Sorry to hear about your cousin, Terry - that's awful.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 21:49]
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 21:48 - Oct 5 with 989 viewsBklynRanger

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 18:11 - Oct 5 by A40Bosh

"I was a 'fresher' at Roehampton during my first actual visit, in Oct '92. I'd been a supporter for 3 or 4 years by then but never much thought about being able to get to many games - luckily some poor A Level results and a last minute scramble through Clearing changed all that - I'd never been further south than Chester at the time."

And what a great Uni Roehampton is!!! They unwittingly bought in to my daughter's psychology experiment 3 years ago of seeing whether it was possible to obtain a pass and a B.SC degree in Psychology whilst sleeping through most of the 3 years of Uni and she was awarded a 2:1 at the end of her course!!!

How we laughed when she told us back in May that her current scores meant that she "was trending towards a 2:1 in her final classification". My Mrs said at the time that if she comes away with a 2:1 then she herself would sign up for a degree somewhere next year.

So we have now learned not to pre-judge the little lady any more as she was obviously doing a lot of research in her sleep and when she was out of bed doing more work than we realised

I had a similar experience with the same outcome, in the same subject :)

To be fair the standard of teaching was good and it was the Univ of Surrey curriculum and exams at the time. Went to Guildford for the graduation - never been back there in fact. But I digress...
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 22:03 - Oct 5 with 962 viewsdanehoop

Feb 84. QPR v West Ham. 1-1 draw. Was in the away end with 3 mates of mine, 2 WHU and Chelscum fan. Thick as thieves at the time and we all happily went to each others games. One was best man at my wedding, but haven't seen any of them in over 18 years. Basically we all grew apart and that was it.

Never knowingly understood

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 00:23 - Oct 6 with 888 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not someone I went to Rangers with per se, but I met an completely independent old boy and his wife in their 90s on a bus on Wood Lane one Saturday about 5 years ago and he told me he’d been going since the 30s / 40s.

They may still be alive to be fair although at LEAST late 90s. I think they said they lived on Quex Rd in Kilburn if anyone knows them. I’d love to find out how they are doing or if they are still with us.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 04:27 - Oct 6 with 827 viewsSydneyRs

QPR v Man City 1977, 1-1, Joe Royle and Gerry Francis scored. Still have 2 copies of the programme.

Went with my Dad who is still going strong and now aged 78.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 06:16 - Oct 6 with 818 viewsThaiHoop

Rotherham in the milk cup in 1982 as a 9 year old with my Dad who sadly was taken from us in 2008 😔

0-0 draw and out 2-1 on aggregate, should have been an immediate lesson in the pitfalls of supporting Rangers but I walked into that game a Liverpool "fan" and left it hooked to the Superhoops forever more.

Just checked, it was 26 October 1982 so I'm 3 weeks away from my 39th anniversary!!
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 09:22 - Oct 6 with 745 viewsJeff

QPR vs Man City, FA Cup, 23rd Jan 1993 was my first ever live game watching QPR. Went with my Dad and a QPR supporting friend - grew up in Basingstoke, and there were literally two of us in the entire town.

I became a QPR fan as a glory hunter following the 4-1 New Years Day Massacre vs Man U.

I remember vividly at the time being ecstatic that Les Ferdinand was playing, as he was apparently an injury doubt beforehand.

What i didn't remember from the time, and has now gone down in infamy, is the "Worst 20 seconds of football in history"

[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 9:23]

Can we not knock it?

Login to get fewer ads

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 09:56 - Oct 6 with 716 viewssexton

I can't remember what my first game was, but I was taken by my Dad some time either late in 1966 or early in 1967. I had already seen a few games before we went to the League Cup Final.

Funnily enough the 1986 League Cup Final was the last game my Dad went to. He wanted to take a friend who was a wheelchair user and said he had no help at all from the club, whereas Wembley were really helpful. He said he would never go again. He was like that. He died in 2014.

We used to sit in the old Loftus Road stand, close to one of the tunnels (we had two in those days, one for either team) with my grandad and his second wife.

My grandad died in 1974 after suffering for a number of years with what was obviously dementia. I don't remember any conversation I ever had with him.

I discovered only this year when researching my family history that after he and his first wife moved from Birmingham to London some time between 1916 and 1919 they lived in Loftus Road itself. I had walked past the house they lived in hundreds of times without realising. The club played their first game at Loftus Road in 1917, so who knows - maybe he was there?
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 11:00 - Oct 6 with 682 viewsngbqpr

Lovely thread Brian.

First game - my 10th birthday treat, March 31st 1974, 0-0 vs Derby. Made whole family go tho I was the only 'R'. Poor game.

Next three were belters with Stan starring. 2-0 vs Sunderland, 3-0 vs Boro. 3-0 vs Notts Co in the cup (first night game). My mum took me to all these - she enjoyed going to LR as she was a Dubliner and liked hearing loads of Irish voices.

From 78, me and Julian, the only other R at our school, started going together, season tickets from 79. Joined in 82 by friends I met at uni, Dave & Karen, and shortly after Dave's mate Toby.

Plenty of other friends I've met along the way and sometimes attend with (via work, messageboards, other exiles in my neck of the woods), but our core group of 5, tho all varying season to season in terms of how many games we each attend, are still a QPR gang - went to each other's weddings, partners often go to games, and despite none of us now living in west London, ALL our kids are Rangers, and many go regularly.

Mum & dad have both passed on now, but I'm grateful they indulged me...and both would come to a game or two a season with me til they were unable physically to do so.

That's what it's all about really isn't it?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 12:59 - Oct 6 with 633 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 11:00 - Oct 6 by ngbqpr

Lovely thread Brian.

First game - my 10th birthday treat, March 31st 1974, 0-0 vs Derby. Made whole family go tho I was the only 'R'. Poor game.

Next three were belters with Stan starring. 2-0 vs Sunderland, 3-0 vs Boro. 3-0 vs Notts Co in the cup (first night game). My mum took me to all these - she enjoyed going to LR as she was a Dubliner and liked hearing loads of Irish voices.

From 78, me and Julian, the only other R at our school, started going together, season tickets from 79. Joined in 82 by friends I met at uni, Dave & Karen, and shortly after Dave's mate Toby.

Plenty of other friends I've met along the way and sometimes attend with (via work, messageboards, other exiles in my neck of the woods), but our core group of 5, tho all varying season to season in terms of how many games we each attend, are still a QPR gang - went to each other's weddings, partners often go to games, and despite none of us now living in west London, ALL our kids are Rangers, and many go regularly.

Mum & dad have both passed on now, but I'm grateful they indulged me...and both would come to a game or two a season with me til they were unable physically to do so.

That's what it's all about really isn't it?

"That's what it's all about really isn't it?"

Too right. It's nothing without friends and family.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 13:07 - Oct 6 with 629 viewshantssi

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 09:22 - Oct 6 by Jeff

QPR vs Man City, FA Cup, 23rd Jan 1993 was my first ever live game watching QPR. Went with my Dad and a QPR supporting friend - grew up in Basingstoke, and there were literally two of us in the entire town.

I became a QPR fan as a glory hunter following the 4-1 New Years Day Massacre vs Man U.

I remember vividly at the time being ecstatic that Les Ferdinand was playing, as he was apparently an injury doubt beforehand.

What i didn't remember from the time, and has now gone down in infamy, is the "Worst 20 seconds of football in history"

[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 9:23]

Surprises me about Basingstoke Jeff!
I worked there from 86 to 96 and it was all either R’s or Scum as a lot of them or their parents had moved out of W London to the “new” town.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 15:46 - Oct 6 with 582 viewsPerthRs

My first game was an early birthday present, went with my dad a life long supporter sadly no longer with us, the game turned out to be our last match played at the White City we lost to Coventry City but as a 12yr old I was hooked from that day onwards.
My dad and I went regular to the dogs at the stadium but my last football match was in the 1966 World Cup France v Uruguay.
Now we have a QPR supporting family both here in Australia and in the UK, Wife, Son, Daughter, 2 Granddaughter's and 2 Grandsons.
And it all started at the White City.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 16:18 - Oct 6 with 561 viewsParkRoyalR

Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 13:07 - Oct 6 by hantssi

Surprises me about Basingstoke Jeff!
I worked there from 86 to 96 and it was all either R’s or Scum as a lot of them or their parents had moved out of W London to the “new” town.

Yes, definitely recall a group of young lads from Basingstoke going to occasional away games in mid / late 80's.
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 16:55 - Oct 6 with 540 viewscollegeranger

Yup my 8 year old schoolmate - 1975 v Arsenal at home stood up in The Loft - still sit next to him in Ellerslie Road !!
Na Daoine Atá Imithe (The People Who Are Gone) on 17:21 - Oct 6 with 531 viewsDWQPR

Watford away March 1972. Went with Dad and my brother. I wasn’t quite 6 but was already indoctrinated in all things QPR. Used to remember getting the hole programmes from Dad after home games (bring back the checker board design), and then writing down the scorers from the very match in the fixture list and see who was the top scorer. Always Marsh. But I never saw him play for the R’s. First home game in April 1972, versus Carlisle. Stan was playing for Carlisle that game and we beat them 3-0. Then the start of the 72-73 season, always remember standing in the paddock towards the school end, the perimeter wall was too high for me to see over. Beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-2 in the first home game and with me clinging to the top of the wall watching the match, with every goal scored I fell down! Thought Rangers were the greatest then and 50 years later my opinion hasn’t changed. All the highs and lows have been worth it and it was all thanks to my dear old Dad. He passed away on 2nd January 2014 after suffering a major stroke on Xmas morning. His first matches at HQ was the start of the 1939 season. My brother and me still sit together in the SAR and I suspect that god willing we will still be there for the next 25-30 years.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024