Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle takeover 20:02 - Oct 7 with 20426 viewsdigswellhoop

Any one feel for steve bruce not what fans wanted but done a job Ashley's done what he said he would any sympathy there
Newcastle takeover on 09:36 - Oct 8 with 2354 viewseastside_r

Newcastle takeover on 09:17 - Oct 8 by wood_hoop

I am probably in a small minority but to me a match made in heaven, the 'best supporters in the world' deserve their despicable new owners.

Haven't won fcuk all since 1955 long may it continue.....

It gets better , according to the link below the two biggest arseholes ever to pull on their shirt, and manage their team to abject failure may be coming back.

My loathing of NU goes back many years and hopefully the whole shebang goes horrendously wrong.....

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/news/report-newcastle-legends-kevin-keegan-and-a

They were always going to need some useful idiots for this sportswashing / PR exercise.
Newcastle takeover on 09:36 - Oct 8 with 2352 viewsjoe90

Newcastle takeover on 09:17 - Oct 8 by wood_hoop

I am probably in a small minority but to me a match made in heaven, the 'best supporters in the world' deserve their despicable new owners.

Haven't won fcuk all since 1955 long may it continue.....

It gets better , according to the link below the two biggest arseholes ever to pull on their shirt, and manage their team to abject failure may be coming back.

My loathing of NU goes back many years and hopefully the whole shebang goes horrendously wrong.....

https://www.geordiebootboys.com/news/report-newcastle-legends-kevin-keegan-and-a

I think there's something to be said for the 'one club' town supporting mentality that you get, particularly, up north. It breeds an unjustified sense of entitlement and grandeur.

Fans love to paint themselves the victim of football, but never have the ability to reflect on how they're complicit. Liverpool fans being the prime example.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 9:42]
Newcastle takeover on 09:38 - Oct 8 with 2346 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Newcastle takeover on 09:20 - Oct 8 by Juzzie

Shearer is well happy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alanshearer/status/1446153054999486477

AS will have been brought onside months ago. Listening to him on the BBC world service this morning was embarrassing!

No need to add to the comments above about the state of human rights (or even commercial rights) in the Kingdom, but I very much doubt that any German or Norwegian internationals who recently sported shirts advocating for human rights in Qatar (who are at least trying to improve their record) will do something similar when playing against the Toon. Lest we forget that there is litigation in the US seeking to uncover the extent of the alleged involvement of the Kingdom in 9/11.

Pictures of Toon fans dancing around like jackasses are repugnant on the eye. What a time for QPR to get its moral compass back; may we not lose it now!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Newcastle takeover on 09:44 - Oct 8 with 2295 viewsstainrods_elbow

When it comes to finance, football and political morality, would anyone seriously disagree that the Premier League - if not the whole of pro football - sold its soul, what, centuries ago? This Newcastle Saudi takeover is just the thin edge of a very thin wedge, but, seriously, is anyone so surprised? Moral outrage here is so embarrassingly late in the day as to be next to worthless. What sickens me is the cynicism of the authorities taking the piss out of us all by clinging on to their microscopic fig-leaf 'fit and proper person' test.

I note Shearer's tweeted response on the BBC: 'Yesssssssss. We can dare to hope again #NUFC.' With cretinous media influencers like that at the top of news stories, should we all just pack up and go home? You might have been a great English striker, Alan, but,as far as the bigger footballing picture goes, you're not even one-eyed.

I am in such conflict myself as a football fan these days I don't know why I'm not already in a strait jacket. I adore QPR, and I want us to see rise up the footballing tree, but I more and more hate the professional game and the PL to which we supposedly aspire. It's like being in love with a sweetheart who you only want to make happy and be happy with, but who wants to take you swimming with crocodiles (Saudi or otherwise).

Mind you, when our own Ian Taylor tells me 'football s only business', we should all know where stand. We're all romanticising a psychopath (football, not necessarily Ian).
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 9:48]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Newcastle takeover on 09:56 - Oct 8 with 2253 viewsBklynRanger

Give it a few months and there'll be black and white striped simpletons roaming the streets and sitting on the tube, pledging their allegiance to the suddenly enormous 'Geoooodie Nation'.

I've got friends near Newcastle and have no problem with the area, but the idea of that previously laughable sense of entitlement now being backed by enormous corrupt riches fcuks me right off.
Newcastle takeover on 10:03 - Oct 8 with 2227 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I just can't get excited about this, as wrong as it undoubtedly is.

First of all it's not in the least surprising.

Second, the Saudis can't shock those who've grown shockproof by the repugnant Chelsea and Man City owners.

Third, English football is also part-owned by U.S. and English money, two of the worst transgressors in violence and human rights abuse the planet has ever seen. Are we to exclude money from those sources too because of their Nationality? Were Irish people banned from English football during the IRA campaign?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Newcastle takeover on 10:12 - Oct 8 with 2189 viewsKonk

If the Russian sovereign wealth fund announced they were buying an English club, with Putin as the player-manager, you just know there would be loads of supporters of that club outside the ground celebrating. As we've seen with Chelsea, Man CIty and others, seemingly, very few people give a fu ck about where the money comes from. If the Taliban had put in a counter offer and pledged to spend even more money than the Saudis, I bet most of those fuc kers outside St James's would have bitten your hand off (or amputated it, in homage to the Saudi/Taliban owners).

What would be too much for football fans in this country? A Jimmy Saville/Fred West/Osama Bin Laden consortium? Aside from the fact they're all dead, I bet if they were promising £400m for new signings, plenty of fans would be okay with that. I genuinely don't think anyone is beyond the pale for a lot of football fans. Personally, if I was a Newcastle season ticket holder, that would be it for me. I'd go and watch non-league.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Newcastle takeover on 10:12 - Oct 8 with 2186 viewsrobith

Newcastle takeover on 10:03 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

Second, the Saudis can't shock those who've grown shockproof by the repugnant Chelsea and Man City owners.

Third, English football is also part-owned by U.S. and English money, two of the worst transgressors in violence and human rights abuse the planet has ever seen. Are we to exclude money from those sources too because of their Nationality? Were Irish people banned from English football during the IRA campaign?

Just because other things are wrong, doesn't mean you can't call out something else that's wrong.

And unless I'm missing something, this does feel like a step change. Personally, if QPR were taking over by a regime that is currently actively committing war crimes in Yemen I'd hand my season ticket back
Login to get fewer ads

Newcastle takeover on 10:14 - Oct 8 with 2177 viewsrobith

Newcastle takeover on 09:36 - Oct 8 by joe90

I think there's something to be said for the 'one club' town supporting mentality that you get, particularly, up north. It breeds an unjustified sense of entitlement and grandeur.

Fans love to paint themselves the victim of football, but never have the ability to reflect on how they're complicit. Liverpool fans being the prime example.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 9:42]

well, if you talk to fans of other smaller clubs in the north east, they'd have a few words to say about how Newcastle went about that "one club town" feeling
Newcastle takeover on 10:16 - Oct 8 with 2162 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Newcastle takeover on 10:12 - Oct 8 by robith

Just because other things are wrong, doesn't mean you can't call out something else that's wrong.

And unless I'm missing something, this does feel like a step change. Personally, if QPR were taking over by a regime that is currently actively committing war crimes in Yemen I'd hand my season ticket back

Oh, I completely agree that it's wrong, Robith. I said so in my first line. I agree with you.

I'm just not at all surprised.

I've said this before but until football gets serious about legislating against this, or indeed the European Super League, with real and genuine penalties for transgressors written into the clauses, then this will go on and on and on.

Newcastle takeover on 10:16 - Oct 8 with 2163 viewsJuzzie

Newcastle takeover on 10:14 - Oct 8 by robith

well, if you talk to fans of other smaller clubs in the north east, they'd have a few words to say about how Newcastle went about that "one club town" feeling

Was it akin to Charlton busing in fans from Kent?
Newcastle takeover on 10:19 - Oct 8 with 2144 viewsBklynRanger

Brian I think it is absolutely important to maintain an awareness of what our own countries have done, in the past, recent past, and sadly the present.

But as far as that present goes I'd have a lot of difficulty equating the human rights record of the current Saudi state with that of either the US or the UK, for all of their enormous collective flaws.

This takeover is not a surprise as you say - was really only a matter of time, but it's still fcuked.
Newcastle takeover on 10:20 - Oct 8 with 2130 viewsKonk

No clubs are owned by the British or American states, are they? I completely agree regarding the amount of ar seholes that own clubs throughout the leagues, and I can't ever want Man City or PSG to win, because they now represent UAE and Qatar rather than Manchester or Paris, but having the Saudi state owning a club feels even worse given the barbaric way it treats it's own citizens and it's central role in the spread of Wahhabism, globally.

Newcastle takeover on 10:21 - Oct 8 with 2125 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Newcastle takeover on 10:19 - Oct 8 by BklynRanger

Brian I think it is absolutely important to maintain an awareness of what our own countries have done, in the past, recent past, and sadly the present.

But as far as that present goes I'd have a lot of difficulty equating the human rights record of the current Saudi state with that of either the US or the UK, for all of their enormous collective flaws.

This takeover is not a surprise as you say - was really only a matter of time, but it's still fcuked.

Fair enough, Bklyn. I probably stretched the analogy too far.

Newcastle takeover on 10:21 - Oct 8 with 2121 viewsPhildo

They should have stuck with the super league but with a few tweaks. Everyone else votes you out to join it. Rename it The Laundry League.
Newcastle takeover on 10:23 - Oct 8 with 2111 viewsNorthantsHoop

Good luck to Newcastle supporters, they will just have to hold their nose, turn away their heads and enjoy the ride. The days sadly are long gone when the prospect of challenging at the top level were not a dream funded by this mega money environment. Join the elite sell your soul careful what you wish for.
Newcastle takeover on 10:27 - Oct 8 with 2084 viewsted_hendrix

I'm delighted we are sponsored by a concrete supplying Company having spent my working life in the construction industry.

All you can do is protest in your own way the best you can, I promise you this I will not absolutely will not watch one world cup game next year, small minded? maybe but those f uckers over there have been killing poorly paid labour since the stadiums started to get built.

As for the Geordies- please God let them get relegated and have an awful-awful season.

All you can do is protest in your own way the best you can.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Newcastle takeover on 10:29 - Oct 8 with 2076 viewsKonk

Newcastle takeover on 10:23 - Oct 8 by NorthantsHoop

Good luck to Newcastle supporters, they will just have to hold their nose, turn away their heads and enjoy the ride. The days sadly are long gone when the prospect of challenging at the top level were not a dream funded by this mega money environment. Join the elite sell your soul careful what you wish for.

Not sure just how successful they can expect to be with FFP. Man City and Chelsea already have a huge advantage with TV income from latter-stage CL football, owners spending bundles etc. Obviously makes things trickier for the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham, though. Personally, I'd pi ss myself laughing if they go on to win fu ck-all.

Does anyone else remember the good old days when you wanted clubs to lose because they were local rivals, you'd taken a kicking at their ground, or you worked with a cun t who supported them? I still have that to a degree, but nowadays, I generally find myself disliking clubs because of their owners. Modern football, eh.

Newcastle takeover on 10:35 - Oct 8 with 2051 viewsrobith

Newcastle takeover on 10:27 - Oct 8 by ted_hendrix

I'm delighted we are sponsored by a concrete supplying Company having spent my working life in the construction industry.

All you can do is protest in your own way the best you can, I promise you this I will not absolutely will not watch one world cup game next year, small minded? maybe but those f uckers over there have been killing poorly paid labour since the stadiums started to get built.

As for the Geordies- please God let them get relegated and have an awful-awful season.

ted I too have come to the conclusion that I'm not watching the world cup. I'll miss the football but we have to make a stand somewhere
Newcastle takeover on 10:39 - Oct 8 with 2033 viewsessextaxiboy

Ted , the death rate for construction workers over there has been at this rate for many years .
It wasnt until the World Cup was awarded that anybody knew or cared .
Newcastle takeover on 11:09 - Oct 8 with 1958 viewsEastR

Not for the first time recently, football, and football fans in particular, find themselves at the centre of national debate and discussion this morning. A microcosm for how the nation sets its standards, and highlighting just what we’re all prepared to in some cases, welcome, mostly shrug off, but generally accept as being allowable.

Why did this takeover happen now, after years of wrangling over whether the Saudi Public Investment Fund was or wasn’t acceptable to the Premier League as a prospective owner? Well it wasn’t because the PL was anxiously wringing its hands and fretting about the impact of having an oppressive regime, a serial abuser of human rights, at the heart of English game.

The Saudi state, the PIF, wasn’t acceptable because it was facilitating the illegal broadcasting of PL (and UEFA) games thereby depriving them of revenues.
At the heart of the problem, money. A barrier removed this week when the Saudi’s settled and coughed up (reportedly £100m), opening the door for deal to go through.

But that’s not how the PL are spinning it. Apparently, they have written assurances that the Saudi state and the PIF are independent of each other and the Saudi leader, the chairman of PIF, exercises no control over the investment, and by extension the club. These are the people whose usual interpretation of an arm’s length transaction is the dispersal of the severed limbs of their critics.

Another example in a long line of the powers that be pedaling a narrative that suits them, straight up lying to their audience, sadly often gullible enough to swallow it.

Remember the PL, and the EFL, have a well-documented track record for allowing less than savoury characters to acquire some legitimacy and respectability through club ownership. A state asset stripping oligarch, some US capital vultures, another Middle Eastern state persecutor, purposeful money launderer? This way sirs, take a seat at the top table and your nose in the trough.

Sadly this is indicative of where we are as a country. The UK government by it’s own dealings with these people facilitates and enables them to act with impunity. As long as there nobody is held to account then we’re all complicit in some way.

And of course the perennial get out clause. Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn’t we?

Having said all that, this morning my anger is mostly directed at that smug Shearer. Just because I want someone to ask him directly — So Alan, given a choice between a man with a less than impressive track record in employee relations and corporate governance, or a change in ownership, why is it exactly that you’re on the side of the murderous totalitarian regime?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Newcastle takeover on 11:16 - Oct 8 with 1938 viewsessextaxiboy

Newcastle takeover on 11:09 - Oct 8 by EastR

Not for the first time recently, football, and football fans in particular, find themselves at the centre of national debate and discussion this morning. A microcosm for how the nation sets its standards, and highlighting just what we’re all prepared to in some cases, welcome, mostly shrug off, but generally accept as being allowable.

Why did this takeover happen now, after years of wrangling over whether the Saudi Public Investment Fund was or wasn’t acceptable to the Premier League as a prospective owner? Well it wasn’t because the PL was anxiously wringing its hands and fretting about the impact of having an oppressive regime, a serial abuser of human rights, at the heart of English game.

The Saudi state, the PIF, wasn’t acceptable because it was facilitating the illegal broadcasting of PL (and UEFA) games thereby depriving them of revenues.
At the heart of the problem, money. A barrier removed this week when the Saudi’s settled and coughed up (reportedly £100m), opening the door for deal to go through.

But that’s not how the PL are spinning it. Apparently, they have written assurances that the Saudi state and the PIF are independent of each other and the Saudi leader, the chairman of PIF, exercises no control over the investment, and by extension the club. These are the people whose usual interpretation of an arm’s length transaction is the dispersal of the severed limbs of their critics.

Another example in a long line of the powers that be pedaling a narrative that suits them, straight up lying to their audience, sadly often gullible enough to swallow it.

Remember the PL, and the EFL, have a well-documented track record for allowing less than savoury characters to acquire some legitimacy and respectability through club ownership. A state asset stripping oligarch, some US capital vultures, another Middle Eastern state persecutor, purposeful money launderer? This way sirs, take a seat at the top table and your nose in the trough.

Sadly this is indicative of where we are as a country. The UK government by it’s own dealings with these people facilitates and enables them to act with impunity. As long as there nobody is held to account then we’re all complicit in some way.

And of course the perennial get out clause. Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn’t we?

Having said all that, this morning my anger is mostly directed at that smug Shearer. Just because I want someone to ask him directly — So Alan, given a choice between a man with a less than impressive track record in employee relations and corporate governance, or a change in ownership, why is it exactly that you’re on the side of the murderous totalitarian regime?

He has probably doubled his corporate entertaining fee overnight .
Newcastle takeover on 11:23 - Oct 8 with 1921 viewsloftboy

All these billionaires buying clubs to soak in the glory’s of winning the PL, thing is only one can win it each year, surely having 6-7 teams owned by billionaires is going to lead to the same situation as when the clubs were owned by millionaires?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Newcastle takeover on 11:34 - Oct 8 with 1886 viewsJuzzie

Absolutely. I gave up Sky Sports about 4 years ago because I refuse to contribute.
Newcastle takeover on 12:03 - Oct 8 with 1833 viewsQPRSteve

I wonder what the half time entertainment will be like?

The beheading of supporters who don't fully get behind the new regime?

The amputation of the hands of people caught nicking the pies?

And will females be allowed in the ground?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024