Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andy Belk — Patreon 14:41 - Oct 8 with 4480 viewsNorthernr

Club's head of recruitment Andy Belk is our latest Patreon interview. Read it for free on site, or listen in any of our Patreon subscription tiers - thank you for your ongoing support in that.

Interview I've wanted for a long while, and I know a few of you were intrigued too, slightly awkward as recruitment is so secretive but thanks to Andy for agreeing to it and being as open as possible...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/55955

https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords
Andy Belk — Patreon on 15:10 - Oct 8 with 4405 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Been looking forward to this.

Thanks man.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Andy Belk — Patreon on 15:22 - Oct 8 with 4378 viewsJeff

Just to quickly mention that we've now got the Patreon Audio available via RSS feed as well, so you can now listen to it via apple podcasts or whichever podcast platform you normally use...

Can we not knock it?

Andy Belk — Patreon on 15:26 - Oct 8 with 4368 viewsMaggsinho

Enjoyed that, fascinating stuff from him.

Surely we can work out the one that got away between us?
Andy Belk — Patreon on 15:50 - Oct 8 with 4286 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Excellent. Will read and listen to that a few times.

Thanks lads.

Andy Belk — Patreon on 15:52 - Oct 8 with 4272 viewsRangersw12

Very interesting interview

Out of interest did he tell you off record who was the player that we missed out on?

(obviously don't expect to you to tell us)
Andy Belk — Patreon on 16:06 - Oct 8 with 4218 viewsBazzeR

Was Armando Broja the player we narrowly missed out on ?
Andy Belk — Patreon on 19:42 - Oct 8 with 3857 viewspaulhoop2

Hi Clive great work never thought I’d see an interview with recruiter! Out of curiosity who else is lined up ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Andy Belk — Patreon on 20:41 - Oct 8 with 3755 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Andy Belk — Patreon on 19:42 - Oct 8 by paulhoop2

Hi Clive great work never thought I’d see an interview with recruiter! Out of curiosity who else is lined up ?

Haaland, I think.

Oh, I may have misunderstood the question.

Login to get fewer ads

Andy Belk — Patreon on 21:00 - Oct 8 with 3724 viewsderbyhoop

An under rated member of the QPR backroom staff.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Andy Belk — Patreon on 00:34 - Oct 9 with 3492 viewsMyke

Absolutely fascinating interview Clive, thanks a million. One thing I find really interesting. We all assumed that Austin, Jo Jo, Jorgi and Field were 'save us from relegation' signings. Almost a knee jerk reaction to our perilous position last xmas. Yet, according to Andy, all the analytical work had been done months previously. So does that mean all four would have been brought in regardless of our league position or indeed regardless of whether Warburton kept his job or not, post Swansea?
Andy Belk — Patreon on 07:15 - Oct 9 with 3363 viewsDixie_CT

Andy Belk — Patreon on 15:26 - Oct 8 by Maggsinho

Enjoyed that, fascinating stuff from him.

Surely we can work out the one that got away between us?

Great interview, thanks Clive.

I wonder if the one we missed out on was Kabore at Man City or Ben Davies at Liverpool?
Andy Belk — Patreon on 07:24 - Oct 9 with 3358 views1JD

Andy Belk — Patreon on 07:15 - Oct 9 by Dixie_CT

Great interview, thanks Clive.

I wonder if the one we missed out on was Kabore at Man City or Ben Davies at Liverpool?

Kwadwo Baah
Andy Belk — Patreon on 08:07 - Oct 9 with 3320 viewsmcqpr10

Reassuring to hear we have an organised scouting system. For any club, if you get recruitment right everything else falls into place.

Would love to know what our scouting system was like under paladini 2006-07.
Andy Belk — Patreon on 09:38 - Oct 9 with 3217 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Andy Belk — Patreon on 07:24 - Oct 9 by 1JD

Kwadwo Baah

Isn’t that our new betting partner?

Thanks Clive. Really good interview I listened to the first half hour or so last night. Interesting that Andy has been at the club for 13 years or so. I assumed that he was more recent. It sounds like our transition to using stat based recruitment has been a slow and organic process. It was good to hear that a lot of the scouting is still done on the sidelines at matches. Andy said it’s the only way to really get to know a player’s attitude on the pitch and how they interact with referees. Refreshing.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 9:41]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Andy Belk — Patreon on 10:08 - Oct 9 with 3142 viewsrsonist

Andy Belk — Patreon on 07:24 - Oct 9 by 1JD

Kwadwo Baah

"a big, big club came in and took him at the last minute.. They’ve just loaned him out but he’s young and he’s done well. "

Baah went to ... Watford... and hasn't been loaned.
Andy Belk — Patreon on 10:46 - Oct 9 with 3077 viewsQPROslo

Andy Belk — Patreon on 20:41 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

Haaland, I think.

Oh, I may have misunderstood the question.

Yes, Haaland's current injury problems suggest the right profile for us.... He's out for the ongoing games which will decide if he will grace the next World Cup, or more likely after Norway's 1-1 in Turkey, not now.
Andy Belk — Patreon on 13:39 - Oct 9 with 2878 viewsterryb

Based on age & how sucessful his loan spell is (as it was last season) I will chuck in the name of Conor Gallagher as a possibility. I'm also basing this on Andy Belk stating that we would be very surprised at the person.

It may be that The Pensioners talked him into signing a new contract for them rather than leaving & joining us.

It's only speculation of course, but we need something to keep us going until next Saturday!
Andy Belk — Patreon on 19:09 - Oct 9 with 2587 viewsHammersmithR

I know for a fact 100% we were due to get Billy Gilmour on loan last summer from them. He then got injured. But it had been lined up for many months. He’s now on loan at Norwich.
Andy Belk — Patreon on 21:32 - Oct 9 with 2456 viewsTacticalR

Andy Belk — Patreon on 15:22 - Oct 8 by Jeff

Just to quickly mention that we've now got the Patreon Audio available via RSS feed as well, so you can now listen to it via apple podcasts or whichever podcast platform you normally use...

I tested the link with the Pocket Casts app and it worked fine. This is much more convenient than downloading manually.

It sounds like the good thing about what Andy Belk and co are doing is that we have now got a guiding intelligence and some consistent methods and principles to work to rather than trying to wing it as we did in the past.

Air hostess clique

Andy Belk — Patreon on 22:58 - Oct 9 with 2369 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Andy Belk — Patreon on 21:32 - Oct 9 by TacticalR

I tested the link with the Pocket Casts app and it worked fine. This is much more convenient than downloading manually.

It sounds like the good thing about what Andy Belk and co are doing is that we have now got a guiding intelligence and some consistent methods and principles to work to rather than trying to wing it as we did in the past.

Basically apart from allowing us to easily purchase tickets or buy proper beer.

We're doing alright.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Andy Belk — Patreon on 17:37 - Oct 10 with 1996 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks - very interesting.
Andy Belk — Patreon on 20:48 - Oct 10 with 1858 viewsdavman

Excellent as ever, Clive.

Only thing missing for me was whether we will start using the same techniques for managers. Warbs has given us a style now, his successor needs to be similar...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Andy Belk — Patreon on 02:56 - Oct 11 with 1694 viewssimmo

Firstly the link for RSS worked great and now it's in my Acast list, good work Andy.

The interview itself - thanks Clive. This kind of insight is great and especially pertinent in the last 18 months.

I really like that he's worked his way through the QPR system but interested to know if his role has become more prominent due to necessity, or if its a conscious choice of the club to embrace more data/analytics.

Clearly his input is important, especially when making a final decision, but you get the feeling that the likes of Dozzell are the real data focused picks, as opposed to the Austins where it seems more about the 'intangibles' - although I'm sure Andy doesn't agree with the latter.

The De Wijs signing was especially fascinating as in reality he wasn't playing, was injury prone and didn't seem an obvious 'safe' signing. But actually his data showed he did everything we needed him to do and more - despite the negatives...

I feel like one part of the transfer committee that wasn't really discussed is the medical dept, it's pretty clear to me that we're signing people with the assumption that our med guys can either keep them healthy enough to play, or manage them in a way that a rotation is possible so we don't miss out too much for their inevitable unavailability. I'd like to know if that part of the data is evaluated...

Great interview mate - look forward to the next
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 2:58]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024