Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shape/Personnel 16:37 - Oct 16 with 8965 viewsHunterhoop

Unpopular opinion alert.

I think with the system we’re trying to play, Johansen, whilst quality on the ball, IS the problem with our shape and the number of goals we’re conceding. He’s a passenger out of possession. Good teams just play around him. Ball was terrible alongside him and the sub meant it was Chair there….honestly, if you want to keep this shape, you can you can only play 2 of Johansen/Chair/Willock against the good sides. You need legs or the defence to play incredibly high, but up against pace, you set up our back 3 to get turned.

I’m not sure what the answer is, but this two man central midfield with Johansen is not working. No legs.

Shape/Personnel on 16:46 - Oct 16 with 4430 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Stunned that Amos didn't play at all today. Albert too. Seems bizarre when we were so awful.
Shape/Personnel on 16:49 - Oct 16 with 4425 views1JD

Agreed, the CM balance is a big problem and a key reason why we are so open and conceding goals for fun.

Johansen, whilst excellent on the ball is very poor off it. Its clear why he excelled at Fulham as they played a 3-man CM, with Kevin McDonald at 6, and Johansen and Cairney as 8s. I think it’s increasingly clear he cannot play in a 2-man CM.

Doesn’t track runners, ambles around, doesn’t tackle, and above all, is showing a real lack of desire and hunger, which is very worrying.
Shape/Personnel on 16:52 - Oct 16 with 4406 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The combination of Johansen and Field in the middle was central to QPR's form in the second half of last season. The loss of Field to injury at the beginning of the season was a major setback as we don't have an adequate replacement to be consistently successful with the same formation. Once Ball went off, our midfield went from poor to non-existent. QPR were forced to go long whilst Fulham had space and time to pick QPR off at will.
Shape/Personnel on 16:53 - Oct 16 with 4394 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Shape/Personnel on 16:46 - Oct 16 by Wegerles_Stairs

Stunned that Amos didn't play at all today. Albert too. Seems bizarre when we were so awful.

Me too. I thought that Amos would fill in until Field is fit-and-firing.
Shape/Personnel on 17:05 - Oct 16 with 4321 viewstraininvain

Shape/Personnel on 16:53 - Oct 16 by Benny_the_Ball

Me too. I thought that Amos would fill in until Field is fit-and-firing.

Amos is coming back from a serious injury and needs to be managed very carefully.

That said, I would’ve had him on second half today but I doubt he’s ready to start games just yet.
Shape/Personnel on 17:07 - Oct 16 with 4293 viewsQPR_John

Agree 100% with the OP. Have no idea what the answer is but then I am not paid to have one
Shape/Personnel on 17:09 - Oct 16 with 4283 viewsnix

I agree that those two together don't work. Although I'm not sure Stef is the only problem. Dom in 45 minutes didn't do one interception, tackle or block and was only involved in one duel, which he didn't win. For your more defensively minded DCM, against a team that likes to play through you, that's just not good enough in terms of contribution to the team.

Charlie was also a passenger in that kind of match. He needs to play off someone.

I'm not sure why Amos didn't play, I'd like to have seen an injection of his pace.

Having said all that, I still don't think we should rip up our strategy just yet. Against lesser teams, and with Field and/or Amos playing and with McCallum or Wallace at left wingback we could do a whole lot better. Also the scoresheet flattered them a tad. While they were better than us I'm not sure they were 4-1 better than us.
Shape/Personnel on 18:07 - Oct 16 with 4065 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Shape/Personnel on 17:05 - Oct 16 by traininvain

Amos is coming back from a serious injury and needs to be managed very carefully.

That said, I would’ve had him on second half today but I doubt he’s ready to start games just yet.

Agreed. He would've been a better substitution for Ball.
Login to get fewer ads

Shape/Personnel on 18:28 - Oct 16 with 3993 viewsbosh67

For me if you are chasing a game and looking to unlock a defence with 2 strikers you send on Albert.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Shape/Personnel on 18:59 - Oct 16 with 3896 viewsMick_S

Shape/Personnel on 18:28 - Oct 16 by bosh67

For me if you are chasing a game and looking to unlock a defence with 2 strikers you send on Albert.

Yes, sir. All day.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Shape/Personnel on 19:09 - Oct 16 with 3863 viewsstevec

We get battered down our right side. Moses hasn’t been good but at the same time there’s very little help in front of him. We do seem lop sided towards the left.
Shape/Personnel on 19:33 - Oct 16 with 3791 viewsdaveB

thought Amos should have started in place of one of the number 10's, ridiculous he didn't come on for Mccallum when we basically had a 1 man midfield getting over run
Shape/Personnel on 19:47 - Oct 16 with 3759 viewssteveo04

Shape/Personnel on 19:33 - Oct 16 by daveB

thought Amos should have started in place of one of the number 10's, ridiculous he didn't come on for Mccallum when we basically had a 1 man midfield getting over run

I couldn’t agree more , Amos for McCallum , go 4231 and we wouldn’t get overrun
Shape/Personnel on 19:53 - Oct 16 with 3731 views1JD

Shape/Personnel on 19:33 - Oct 16 by daveB

Against a 2-man midfield we were overrun, let alone a 1-man one.

Johansen is a complete passenger out of possession, and for the most part, we get away with it such is our general dominance of the ball. But today, and against better sides, our CM is badly exposed as a weak link and a key reason why teams cut through us like a hot knife through butter.

Dom Ball scurries around trying to do the work of two men, but today, he was also very poor.

Off the ball work, like pressing players, closing down space, winning 50/50s, tackling, fight, and basics like tracking runners (hello Stefan), are an essential part of the job description. Doing “half a job” well, like spraying a few passes around as a CM, is not good enough.
Shape/Personnel on 20:05 - Oct 16 with 3692 viewsBklynRanger

Stefan is the complete midfielder we haven't had since Ale, but he's been injured. If he bounced straight back up he'd not be here. Finance. Etc.

I don't remember one person going on about him not having that part of his game before now. If anything we were appreciating the fact that he had the perenially expensive 'both'.
Shape/Personnel on 20:11 - Oct 16 with 3660 viewsBklynRanger

I made the mistake of accepting a ticket in the Hammersmith end. Booze may not be enough.
Shape/Personnel on 20:16 - Oct 16 with 3640 views1JD

Shape/Personnel on 20:05 - Oct 16 by BklynRanger

Stefan is the complete midfielder we haven't had since Ale, but he's been injured. If he bounced straight back up he'd not be here. Finance. Etc.

I don't remember one person going on about him not having that part of his game before now. If anything we were appreciating the fact that he had the perenially expensive 'both'.

He’s far from the complete centre midfielder and it has shown this season. Sam Field is nearer a Faurlin- he can both pass and tackle for one!
Shape/Personnel on 20:19 - Oct 16 with 3624 viewsBklynRanger

Shape/Personnel on 20:16 - Oct 16 by 1JD

He’s far from the complete centre midfielder and it has shown this season. Sam Field is nearer a Faurlin- he can both pass and tackle for one!

Stefan Johansen can't pass and tackle? I mean we've all had a drink.
Shape/Personnel on 21:35 - Oct 16 with 3433 viewsHunterhoop

Shape/Personnel on 20:19 - Oct 16 by BklynRanger

Stefan Johansen can't pass and tackle? I mean we've all had a drink.

He can do both of those, but he can’t run. That’s a problem in a 2 man midfield.

He’s class, but, in this shape and system, he creates opportunities for the oppo to hurt us.
Shape/Personnel on 21:36 - Oct 16 with 3433 viewsqpr_1968

Hunterhoop, this is not an unpopular opinion.
i got shot down for agreeing with a poster for going back to 442.
to play 3 at the back with our current system you've got to be good at it, we're not.
we score a lot, but concede a lot.
even if we change the system for the next 6 or 7 games and start to defend better, with a better formation, stop leaking goals and winning by the odd goal, surely its worth a try..
then go back to the present system with a bit of confidence, it might work.
no one likes the way wba play.......where are they in the division?

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Shape/Personnel on 21:43 - Oct 16 with 3404 viewsrobith

I thought we were crying out for Amos today. We were so passive in defence, I know he's being managed , but his press would've been much needed.

Austin was isolated, so a second striker was welcomed, but we were overrun in midfield, so reducing it to just Stef was a huge error imo
Shape/Personnel on 21:49 - Oct 16 with 3393 viewsBklynRanger

Shape/Personnel on 21:35 - Oct 16 by Hunterhoop

He can do both of those, but he can’t run. That’s a problem in a 2 man midfield.

He’s class, but, in this shape and system, he creates opportunities for the oppo to hurt us.

I think he can run well enough when fully fit. I'd say the main problem today in our position was choosing/needing to rely on him when unfit and unsharp, when if we'd had the option he'd have come on for the last 30 mins and done his (tbh what I found a bit too prolonged) clapping at the corner flag then.
Shape/Personnel on 21:57 - Oct 16 with 3367 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

We lost. First time we've really been beaten this season. 4 points from the next 6 hopefully. We need to stick to our guns.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Shape/Personnel on 22:12 - Oct 16 with 3318 views1JD

Shape/Personnel on 21:49 - Oct 16 by BklynRanger

I think he can run well enough when fully fit. I'd say the main problem today in our position was choosing/needing to rely on him when unfit and unsharp, when if we'd had the option he'd have come on for the last 30 mins and done his (tbh what I found a bit too prolonged) clapping at the corner flag then.

You are making excuses for his lackadaisical approach in the middle of the park. He is fit, he just hasn’t got the legs plain and simple. And if he’s not fit currently, WEEKS after picking up an injury in the very early part of the season, and with TWO separate international breaks in between that, then something is wrong somewhere.
Shape/Personnel on 22:19 - Oct 16 with 3297 viewsBklynRanger

He's played thee quarters of a game, international break then all of this game, inless I'm wrong?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024