Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austin 10:34 - Oct 18 with 9928 viewsNW5Hoop

Getting worried watching him now — it's the Austin some of us feared had come back to us in January rather than the one who played the second half of last season. Obviously, he was never fast, but watching him run now is painful — you're willing him to get to his destination before they call last orders and the night buses start running. And that's a problem: he's now so immobile that he can barely pressure defenders, he can't get into positions in open play, and he barely even drags defenders away to create space for others. And when he's on his own upfront, I mean, really, what's the point?

Like everyone else, I have enormous goodwill towards him. But he is not looking like a good signing at the moment and hasn't all season. I hope it picks up, and I don't blame the club for signing him based on the second half of last season. But this will not have been a low-wage piece of business, and I can't help thinking the money might have been used elsewhere.
Austin on 10:37 - Oct 18 with 5247 viewsRangersw12

His movement is still fantastic and will get us 10/15 goals

Service has been poor though and there were countless times we could of crossed it but didn't which doesn't help
Austin on 10:49 - Oct 18 with 5178 viewsLogman

I'm more disappointed with the signing of Gray who doesn't do what it says on the tin. I would have liked Austin as the senior striker, Dykes and Bonne in the line-up and on the bench respectively and Kelman banging them in for the U.23's.
Austin on 10:55 - Oct 18 with 5138 viewsHunterhoop

Depends whether we continue to try to shoehorn this season’s version of Austin into our current shape and personnel or mould the latter to suit him (and arguably Dykes). If we were to start Adomah and instruct players to whip crosses in around the back of the defence between the defenders and keeper for our forwards to attack, and to do so early, as soon as they get half a yard on their full back or before being closed down, I think you’ll see Austin score 15. He’s still good at getting on the deck of crosses in the box. He’s still shown that this season. But if we continue to cut inside from wide areas and try to play cute triangles around the box, he doesn’t have the first touch or pace over the first 2 yards to make space or add value.

I’m sure there’s some logic somewhere behind it, but I still don’t think I’ve ever seen Austin and Adomah on the pitch at the same time, yet I think they’re made for each other. Gray suits playing with Chair and Willock because his pace causes the defence to drop deep giving space to those two. Austin suits Adomah, who’s our best crosser of the ball. Dykes is the all rounder and first choice.
Austin on 10:57 - Oct 18 with 5134 viewsNW5Hoop

Austin on 10:37 - Oct 18 by Rangersw12

His movement is still fantastic and will get us 10/15 goals

Service has been poor though and there were countless times we could of crossed it but didn't which doesn't help

I'd like to think that will happen, but he's got one in nine appearances so far. And he's been looking like a one in nine appearances player. And service hasn't been poor this season by and large — that's the whole point! We've been enjoying watching it on the whole.
Austin on 11:08 - Oct 18 with 5064 viewspaulparker

Austin is fine and will easily score 20 goals , I’d be more worried about Andre Gray and his fitness and attitude, I’ve not seen an arse like that since Sammy Kojoe

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Austin on 11:12 - Oct 18 with 5034 viewsNW5Hoop

Austin on 11:08 - Oct 18 by paulparker

Austin is fine and will easily score 20 goals , I’d be more worried about Andre Gray and his fitness and attitude, I’ve not seen an arse like that since Sammy Kojoe

Look, he hasn't scored 20 goals in a season since 2013/14. That is not going to happen. He's not going to get 19 goals in 34 league games. Or even play 34 league games.
Austin on 11:13 - Oct 18 with 5031 viewsozexile

Thank God It's a loan.
Austin on 11:16 - Oct 18 with 5001 viewsdaveB

The only games this season where we have put balls in the box for him to get on the end of was Everton and he scored twice and second half against Barnsley when he scored one and should have had a hat trick. We know what he is good at but we're not utilizing him at all.

Multiple times weekend we got wide, he made a run into space and rather than cross the ball we played 4 more passes and he was marked.

He's always struck me as a player who plays himself into form but I don't think he's started 2 games in a row all season, he's in for an hour then back on the bench.
Login to get fewer ads

Austin on 11:17 - Oct 18 with 4996 viewsNorthantsHoop

Totally agree, Austin is doing fine, scores goals that really matter. Just need to get those crosses into him.
More concerned about Andre Gray who looks unfit and disinterested in being at QPR to me at the moment.Loved Hugill when he was on loan with us, always gave his all and Nakhi Wells was great.
Austin on 11:18 - Oct 18 with 4983 viewsdaveB

Austin on 10:55 - Oct 18 by Hunterhoop

Depends whether we continue to try to shoehorn this season’s version of Austin into our current shape and personnel or mould the latter to suit him (and arguably Dykes). If we were to start Adomah and instruct players to whip crosses in around the back of the defence between the defenders and keeper for our forwards to attack, and to do so early, as soon as they get half a yard on their full back or before being closed down, I think you’ll see Austin score 15. He’s still good at getting on the deck of crosses in the box. He’s still shown that this season. But if we continue to cut inside from wide areas and try to play cute triangles around the box, he doesn’t have the first touch or pace over the first 2 yards to make space or add value.

I’m sure there’s some logic somewhere behind it, but I still don’t think I’ve ever seen Austin and Adomah on the pitch at the same time, yet I think they’re made for each other. Gray suits playing with Chair and Willock because his pace causes the defence to drop deep giving space to those two. Austin suits Adomah, who’s our best crosser of the ball. Dykes is the all rounder and first choice.

They were both on the pitch at the same time for the Barnsley second half and Everton cup game which i think kinda proves your point
Austin on 11:27 - Oct 18 with 4950 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin on 11:16 - Oct 18 by daveB

The only games this season where we have put balls in the box for him to get on the end of was Everton and he scored twice and second half against Barnsley when he scored one and should have had a hat trick. We know what he is good at but we're not utilizing him at all.

Multiple times weekend we got wide, he made a run into space and rather than cross the ball we played 4 more passes and he was marked.

He's always struck me as a player who plays himself into form but I don't think he's started 2 games in a row all season, he's in for an hour then back on the bench.

This reluctance to get the ball into the box early has been an issue since we lost Eze, and why it was too easy to criticize Dykes and Bonne first half of last season as Willock was'nt up to speed fitness wise at that point and Dykes and Bonne were reliant on early balls from Chair and BOS which rarely happened. For me....

Plan A - 3 attackers being Dykes / Willock / Chair with SJ / Field supporting

Plan B - 4 attackers being Dykes / Austin / Willock / Adomah with Chair dropping into the two with either of Field or SJ being subbed-off, or Chair being subbed as at that point in a game we are looking to get the ball to the flanks quickly, which SJ can do.
Austin on 13:44 - Oct 18 with 4542 viewsbosh67

There seems to be an element of panic about this thread. I think we've scored in pretty much every game. The problem seems to be letting goals in again. If we can stop that then whether Charlie or anyone else scores will mean more. Plus to be honest when Charlie is at his best he's being served from wide positions and we generally are quite dis-balanced with almost nothing coming in from the right. Most goals being fed down the left. For me we are really missing Albert who is so good at getting players in so we are potentially starving our forwards.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Austin on 13:50 - Oct 18 with 4522 viewsJigsore

to me it's more surprising Austin managed his to hit that good form last season than his poor form this season, if that makes sense. it's part of the reason I was so against the Gray signing. you can maybe carry one of these declining strikers but two? it's a lot pressure on Dykes.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Austin on 14:11 - Oct 18 with 4478 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin on 13:50 - Oct 18 by Jigsore

to me it's more surprising Austin managed his to hit that good form last season than his poor form this season, if that makes sense. it's part of the reason I was so against the Gray signing. you can maybe carry one of these declining strikers but two? it's a lot pressure on Dykes.

Yes, if Dykes's gets injured, our front-line attack of Austin, Gray + Adomah must have an average age of maybe 31? That'll be hard going in this division with 3 games some weeks.
Austin on 14:29 - Oct 18 with 4413 viewskensalriser

You know those moments when you become certain we're about to concede a goal even though it's still at least one move away? I had one of those for Fulham's second when Austin was attempting to stop the break deep in Fulham's half and looked comically off the pace. His run reminded me of Steve Palmer.

I love the guy and he looked the part against Everton but that was one game - he's going to have to improve dramatically to get anywhere near 15 goals as he's currently on target for four.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Austin on 14:35 - Oct 18 with 4389 viewsBklynRanger

I think he needs to make a commitment to get into the best shape he can (he's currently clearly off that) and the team needs to commit to playing more to his strengths when he's on the pitch - put the ball into dangerous areas that he can anticipate and use his innate guile to convert those kind of chances.
Austin on 14:38 - Oct 18 with 4373 viewsMatch82

Austin on 10:55 - Oct 18 by Hunterhoop

I think they both came on as subs recently but could be wrong. If we get the Wallace of last year back I think that will help Austin too
Austin on 15:02 - Oct 18 with 4333 viewsstevec

Austin on 11:16 - Oct 18 by daveB

This is it. For a wing back team we get a worryingly low number of crosses into the box and those that do seem only to bother the first defender.

That said, it’d be nice if our attackers occasionally attacked the near post.
Austin on 15:56 - Oct 18 with 4214 viewsLandshark

Austin has the joint 2nd lowest shot conversion in the league for strikers. Just 5% of his shots have resulted in a goal.
Austin on 16:09 - Oct 18 with 4165 viewsLazyFan

While it's true Austin is not getting the service, he had 2 weeks to prepare for Fulham and was blowing in the first half after 20 mins.

Dykes came on and despite having played many games and travelled was able to run around like Austin should have done regardless of the goal.

However, Austin influences the forwards and the team, he is useful when we do get it into him as he can finish against top sides. He's really an impact sub as he cannot keep playing game after game as his body cannot take it.

Gray is disappointing as well. Seems the same as Austin and he was brought in by the managers own words for pace. And I like others are not seeing it.

I suspect we shall see Bonne back, because if Dykes is injured or coming back from international duties then we need Bonne as at least Bonne can run around a lot and maybe feed Austin to score.

I would be harsh and send Gray back (even though he's not been given a real chance), get Bonne back in and then look for a loan for REAL pace merchant. Harsh on Gray but he's not our player and we should not carry expensive players because we made a small mistake.

zzzzzzzzzz

Austin on 16:32 - Oct 18 with 4096 viewsbosh67

Austin on 15:56 - Oct 18 by Landshark

Austin has the joint 2nd lowest shot conversion in the league for strikers. Just 5% of his shots have resulted in a goal.

Statistics don't reflect the full picture. Wallace was supplying the box. Albert had been supplying the box. We simply aren't playing Austin or others in from wide. Everything is down the left or narrow. We know that. Opposition know that and so we aren't really feeding our forwards at the moment, Austin or otherwise. As I said above the back door seems to be open. Shut that and we may find the attack force is more potent.

When Charlie was here last time we had Phillips, Wszołek, Mackie, Hoilett, El Khayati all running in wide on both flanks and feeding the ball in to the strikers.

Now we have Willock, who is probably better than all of those above but we did have quite a lot of options wide to feed the strikers. At the moment we are dependent on Willock and Chair getting anywhere near wide to put the ball in. The Albert thing puzzles me. Yes he is 33 but he is a clever player capable of unlocking defences and putting a ball in. As yet Thomas hasn't really had a run of games and we are then really lacking in wide players to feed the forwards.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Austin on 17:00 - Oct 18 with 4020 viewsrobith

He was good last season cos we played 352 so he had Dykes in support, midfield behind him.

The 32221 system at the moment is forcing him to play a game he's genuinely never been able to. I guess partly cos Dykes couldn't start cos of Scotland flogging him, but maybe Chair could've helped with the forward pressing?
Austin on 17:43 - Oct 18 with 3898 viewsPlanetHonneywood

At this stage of Charles’ career it’s simple: feed him chances because he’ll convert a lot.

His running should be about getting into scoring positions and gently jogging back to defend corners/free kicks, which he is bloody good at.

He’s a poacher, not a prancer!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Austin on 18:04 - Oct 18 with 3838 viewsWestbourneR

We've got a problem because Austin, Dykes, Willock & Chair on the pitch at the same time doesn't work - but arguably all should play.

For me, Austin is the man to miss out - and I never thought I'd say that.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Austin on 18:04 - Oct 18 with 3833 viewsdaveB

Austin on 16:09 - Oct 18 by LazyFan

While it's true Austin is not getting the service, he had 2 weeks to prepare for Fulham and was blowing in the first half after 20 mins.

Dykes came on and despite having played many games and travelled was able to run around like Austin should have done regardless of the goal.

However, Austin influences the forwards and the team, he is useful when we do get it into him as he can finish against top sides. He's really an impact sub as he cannot keep playing game after game as his body cannot take it.

Gray is disappointing as well. Seems the same as Austin and he was brought in by the managers own words for pace. And I like others are not seeing it.

I suspect we shall see Bonne back, because if Dykes is injured or coming back from international duties then we need Bonne as at least Bonne can run around a lot and maybe feed Austin to score.

I would be harsh and send Gray back (even though he's not been given a real chance), get Bonne back in and then look for a loan for REAL pace merchant. Harsh on Gray but he's not our player and we should not carry expensive players because we made a small mistake.

The Austin fitness thing is nonsense imo. Moses is a lot younger than him and was struggling to run by the end of the game he looked exhausted and no one suggesting he isn't fit. The 4th goal Chair is walking back, barley breaks into a job again no question on his fitness.

Fitness wise he looks no different to what he did in 2013 when he was never one for pressing or chasing around the pitch, he always conserved his energy and came to life in the penalty area.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024