Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poppy shirts 12:21 - Nov 8 with 5235 viewsstowmarketrange

I just watched the game again on Sky,and I saw that we had no poppies on our shirts.Surely it’s remembrance week rather than just 1 or 2 games?And Saturday was our closest game before November 11th.
I haven’t seen the championship goals from the other games,but were we the only club not displaying them?
[Post edited 8 Nov 2021 13:40]
Poppy shirts on 12:58 - Nov 8 with 4411 viewsloftboy

We got in early and wore them against forest, if I remember correctly it’s always only been one game as the shirt are auctioned off.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Poppy shirts on 13:12 - Nov 8 with 4366 viewsstowmarketrange

Poppy shirts on 12:58 - Nov 8 by loftboy

We got in early and wore them against forest, if I remember correctly it’s always only been one game as the shirt are auctioned off.

I appreciate that we auction them off afterwards,but were we the only championship club not wearing them?And surely a day or two longer wouldn’t have affected their auction prices much?

I’m not having a dig at the club,but I was surprised to not see them on Saturday.
Poppy shirts on 13:17 - Nov 8 with 4355 viewsSunnyVanGo

Remembrance Day is the 11th - Armistice Day marking end of WW1, remembering people who have died in wars.
Remembrance Sunday is also marked each year and is the second Sunday in November.

Never heard of Remembrance Week until now. Is it new, how are people getting involved?
Poppy shirts on 13:27 - Nov 8 with 4296 viewsstowmarketrange

Poppy shirts on 13:17 - Nov 8 by SunnyVanGo

Remembrance Day is the 11th - Armistice Day marking end of WW1, remembering people who have died in wars.
Remembrance Sunday is also marked each year and is the second Sunday in November.

Never heard of Remembrance Week until now. Is it new, how are people getting involved?

I do a few sessions selling poppies for our local Royal British Legion,and the launch of this years poppy appeal was on the night of the Forest game,which meant we wore them on that night,and commemorated Armistice day then.But it lasts for over 2 weeks this year,so although it isn’t officially called remembrance week,that is basically what it is now.
Poppy shirts on 04:09 - Nov 9 with 3974 viewsSunnyVanGo

Nice one. Okay so Remembrance Week is the period of time that the poppy appeal is active, Makes sense so it’s as visible and effective as possible.
This means that the club committing to poppies on shirts across a number of weeks could show support more broadly for the poppy appeal rather than specifically just Remembrance Day/Sunday.

Yeah, interesting OP question. I wonder how many charitable requests the club gets over the season, must be tricky to navigate through and prioritise.

Thanks Stowmarket - and for all your support for the British Legion.
Poppy shirts on 04:55 - Nov 9 with 3951 viewsSydneyRs

Frankly the whole poppy thing has turned into a circus in the last few years. Energy would be better spent putting proper pressure on the government to look after veterans properly rather than ramming poppy wearing down everyone's throats. Some of the tacky displays I've seen this year are ridiculous.
Poppy shirts on 07:34 - Nov 9 with 3836 viewsSunnyVanGo

Does feel more complicated each year.
Any thoughts on the circus ringmasters? What’s driving this?
Poppy shirts on 08:19 - Nov 9 with 3769 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Poppy shirts on 04:55 - Nov 9 by SydneyRs

Frankly the whole poppy thing has turned into a circus in the last few years. Energy would be better spent putting proper pressure on the government to look after veterans properly rather than ramming poppy wearing down everyone's throats. Some of the tacky displays I've seen this year are ridiculous.

Can feel Clive’s eye twitching.

The Royal British Legion, and people like Stowmarket, are really lovely people doing a really lovely and useful thing.

The talking heads at GB news, and MPs, wearing poppies while discussing a ridiculous war with France and removing the £20 universal uplift from our neediest veterans not so much.

Keep up the good work Stow.

Login to get fewer ads

Poppy shirts on 08:25 - Nov 9 with 3748 viewsDiscodroids

Here we go , Every bastard year on here. Same Crew Can't maintain a dignified silence for a single year.

At least we haven't heard the joke about dropping poppies down your japs eye yet.

Do us a favour clive and lock the thread before it goes deep south.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Poppy shirts on 08:32 - Nov 9 with 3729 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Poppy shirts on 08:25 - Nov 9 by Discodroids

Here we go , Every bastard year on here. Same Crew Can't maintain a dignified silence for a single year.

At least we haven't heard the joke about dropping poppies down your japs eye yet.

Do us a favour clive and lock the thread before it goes deep south.

Conversation was fine. You have chosen to get upset.

Lock it if you must Clive, but note who’s chosen to get offended and who hasn’t.

Like I say, keep up the good work Stow.
Poppy shirts on 08:34 - Nov 9 with 3705 viewsDiscodroids

Poppy shirts on 08:32 - Nov 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Lock it if you must Clive, but note who’s chosen to get offended and who hasn’t.

You have chosen this topic yet again to amplify your political credo. You bore me.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 8:35]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Poppy shirts on 08:39 - Nov 9 with 3681 viewsBlue_Castello

Poppy shirts on 08:32 - Nov 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Conversation was fine my arse you chose to turn this into a political thread, it's the reason a lot of people can't be arsed to post, it's a post about Remembrance Sunday just leave it alone....
Poppy shirts on 08:43 - Nov 9 with 3639 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Poppy shirts on 08:39 - Nov 9 by Blue_Castello

Conversation was fine my arse you chose to turn this into a political thread, it's the reason a lot of people can't be arsed to post, it's a post about Remembrance Sunday just leave it alone....

Totally legitimate to point out the hypocrisy of some including my own tribe, political or otherwise. I think we are in agreement. Political exploitation of the Poppy should end.

Happy to end it there.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 8:53]
Poppy shirts on 13:55 - Nov 9 with 3335 viewsstowmarketrange

After watching the efl show I noticed Preston,Blackburn,Derby and Reading also didn’t have poppies on their shirts either.
Poppy shirts on 17:04 - Nov 9 with 3171 viewsloftboy

My local tescos had the RBL stall by the checkouts, I didn’t have any cash on me, fortunately the veteran manning the stall produced a card reader, great idea going forward and I probably donated more than I would have had I had coins in my pocket.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Poppy shirts on 18:22 - Nov 9 with 3062 viewsDavieQPR

It is a cause that you are shamed into supporting but like any charity you need to look at the background. In 2019 it payed out $12.6m in support. It held reserves of £350.6m even after a wage bill of £57.85m. So much better to donate to small, local charities.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 18:23]
Poppy shirts on 18:31 - Nov 9 with 3045 viewsstowmarketrange

Poppy shirts on 17:04 - Nov 9 by loftboy

My local tescos had the RBL stall by the checkouts, I didn’t have any cash on me, fortunately the veteran manning the stall produced a card reader, great idea going forward and I probably donated more than I would have had I had coins in my pocket.

It’s the first time in my 7 years of collecting that we’ve had a card reader to use.It does make it easier because not everyone carries much cash any more.
We went in to Ma Kelly’s in Blackpool on Saturday night and I didn’t know it was cash only.Luckily my brother knew and had some cash with him.
Poppy shirts on 18:43 - Nov 9 with 3015 viewslightwaterhoop

Poppy shirts on 18:22 - Nov 9 by DavieQPR

It is a cause that you are shamed into supporting but like any charity you need to look at the background. In 2019 it payed out $12.6m in support. It held reserves of £350.6m even after a wage bill of £57.85m. So much better to donate to small, local charities.

I think that money you are talking about includes all the social clubs that the RBL has and not just its charity arm.
Poppy shirts on 18:53 - Nov 9 with 2991 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Poppy shirts on 18:31 - Nov 9 by stowmarketrange

It’s the first time in my 7 years of collecting that we’ve had a card reader to use.It does make it easier because not everyone carries much cash any more.
We went in to Ma Kelly’s in Blackpool on Saturday night and I didn’t know it was cash only.Luckily my brother knew and had some cash with him.

Many youngsters selling Stow?
Poppy shirts on 19:37 - Nov 9 with 2943 viewsstowmarketrange

Poppy shirts on 18:53 - Nov 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Many youngsters selling Stow?

There was in Blackpool on Sunday,but mainly older people where I am.They May have been out at the weekend or last week,but I never saw any younger people collecting.
Poppy shirts on 10:03 - Nov 10 with 2689 viewsrobith

Poppy shirts on 18:22 - Nov 9 by DavieQPR

I have to quibble your numbers there.

According to their 2020 annual report, RBL hold £70m in reserves, which is good practise to hold in case of drops in income (like a pandemic) or to continue your services if some massive issue befalls the charity. The £350m number you cite is all of the fund held in the year, which includes the money they've raised which is then spent, and the value of the buildings they own - £160m

The £12.6m number is just how much they handed out in direct financial assistance - they also spent over £90m on both care services and welfare services for veterans. Disparage operational costs like salaries, if you want, but they're also the thing that raises all that cash. Local charities are important, but they can't raise money at the scale that someone like RBL can, and distribute it at the scale they can.

But most importantly, if you want to slag the work of a charity that is making a significant difference in people's lives - please be accurate
Poppy shirts on 12:28 - Nov 10 with 2554 viewsNortholt_Rs

Poppy shirts on 08:34 - Nov 9 by Discodroids

You have chosen this topic yet again to amplify your political credo. You bore me.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 8:35]

And me.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Poppy shirts on 12:57 - Nov 10 with 2497 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Poppy shirts on 12:28 - Nov 10 by Northolt_Rs

And me.

Not enough to stop the pair of you commenting I see.
Poppy shirts on 13:04 - Nov 10 with 2469 viewsPhildo

These hearts were woven of human joys and cares,
Washed marvellously with sorrow, swift to mirth.
The years had given them kindness. Dawn was theirs,
And sunset, and the colours of the earth.
These had seen movement, and heard music; known
Slumber and waking; loved; gone proudly friended;
Felt the quick stir of wonder; sat alone;
Touched flowers and furs and cheeks. All this is ended.

There are waters blown by changing winds to laughter
And lit by the rich skies, all day. And after,
Frost, with a gesture, stays the waves that dance
And wandering loveliness. He leaves a white
Unbroken glory, a gathered radiance,
A width, a shining peace, under the night.

Source: The Collected Poems of Rupert Brooke (1915) The Dead
Poppy shirts on 20:23 - Nov 11 with 2123 viewsRanger_Things

Poppy shirts on 04:55 - Nov 9 by SydneyRs

The only reason to look at twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/giantpoppywatch

Quality remembrancing.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 20:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024