Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DNA tests - anybody had one? 17:30 - Nov 14 with 6628 viewsGloryHunter

Which firm did you use? Was it worth it? Would you recommend it?
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:00 - Nov 14 with 4675 viewsJuzzie

I used Ancestry and my partner used Ancestry and another one. There were slightly different results with hers but generally the same ball park.
I’m not sure I’d take them as anything more than a bit of fun.

More accurate ones are probably a lot more expensive
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 00:30 - Nov 15 with 4501 viewsBoston

Yeah, apparently, I'm not of this world...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 06:30 - Nov 15 with 4449 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Absolutely.

Used Ancestry, and one bloke got in touch with a load of family photos. Threw up a lot of family in Canada I didn’t know I had.

The ethnicity thing interesting too. Threw some Basque in there that no one in my family can explain.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2021 6:36]
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 07:30 - Nov 15 with 4395 viewsPhildo

Did the 23andme one - very interesting came up with about 1500 connections around the globe some I am now in touch with.

A warning however - a bloke I knew from college days - did not do it himself but his niece did and a 28 yr old daughter got in touch with her he knew nothing about. The result of a knee trembler one night.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 08:29 - Nov 15 with 4315 viewsHarrowRoadR

I did the Ancestry one and it sort of confirmed what my son's been saying for years that he's descended from a Viking! Only 5% but it's enough for him.😂
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:08 - Nov 15 with 4244 viewsnix

If you put it up for alert on Ancestry, you can get some interesting replies. My son discovered an unexpected family member, ahem! Needless to say, we're not mentioning it to mother in law.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:23 - Nov 15 with 4214 viewsBrianMcCarthy

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 06:30 - Nov 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Absolutely.

Used Ancestry, and one bloke got in touch with a load of family photos. Threw up a lot of family in Canada I didn’t know I had.

The ethnicity thing interesting too. Threw some Basque in there that no one in my family can explain.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2021 6:36]

Those Basque boys and girls definitely get around!

Their DNA crops up everywhere. Huge DNA links between Ireland and the Basque Country that's put down to fishing and trading down the millennia, so presumably they got over to Britain as well.

I'm not doing one - my family would never recover if we found out that we were even 1% Kerry!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:30 - Nov 15 with 4202 viewsnix

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:23 - Nov 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Their DNA crops up everywhere. Huge DNA links between Ireland and the Basque Country that's put down to fishing and trading down the millennia, so presumably they got over to Britain as well.

I'm not doing one - my family would never recover if we found out that we were even 1% Kerry!

Yes, could be awks Brian!

We've got a fair amount of African (about 10%) as well as Scandinavian, Scottish, European. Very varied.
Login to get fewer ads

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:48 - Nov 15 with 4159 viewsBrianMcCarthy

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:30 - Nov 15 by nix

We've got a fair amount of African (about 10%) as well as Scandinavian, Scottish, European. Very varied.

Very exotic, Nix. Look at you!

I've often been tempted. I'd imagine I'd have Viking, Norman, British for a start. Then a very strong possibility of Basque and North Africa as they were huge trading partners for the South-West of Ireland.

Then I'd be hoping for a left-field shock thrown in as well - Mongolian maybe!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 10:01 - Nov 15 with 4127 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 11:25 - Nov 15 with 4023 viewsGloryHunter

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:30 - Nov 15 by nix

Aren't we all a bit African? That was where the first Homo Sapiens emerged.

I was jogged to inquire about DNA testing by this recent article:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/nov/14/try-try-and-try-again-why-did-mo
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 11:38 - Nov 15 with 3985 viewscollegeranger

Got mine as a present - My grandfather was Welsh and the rest of the family are English - Came back as about 20% Welsh rest all from parts of the UK. My wife however, after claiming so much Scottish heritage - her results came back with a real global mix and very little scottish!! I blame the milkman!
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 12:03 - Nov 15 with 3950 viewssexton

The ethnicity side of it is fun. As other have noted you get different results depending who you go with. If you go with Ancestry you can download your DNA results and upload them elsewhere - to My Heritage and Living DNA for example - but you can't upload to Ancestry.

But the main event for me was family history, something I hadn't previously taken much interest in. To cut a very long story short I discovered that my paternal great-grandmother came from County Cork - something nobody in the family seemed to have any idea of. Strangely my Irish DNA is very low but my Scottish is high and she had a Scottish maiden name. And I discovered that my dad's parents moved from Birmingham to live in Loftus Road around 1916 - so maybe my grandad saw the first Rs game at HQ in 1917.

My dad is no longer around to share this with, but I have surprised my mum with some of her family history - and she has been a great source of info as well. Beware what other people have put in their family trees - they are often wrong so verify!
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 12:23 - Nov 15 with 3913 viewsTheChef

Is the child yours?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 12:39 - Nov 15 with 3868 viewsnix

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 12:23 - Nov 15 by TheChef

Is the child yours?

No. That would be a surprise that I hadn't noticed giving birth to another one.

But is my half brother in law 😳.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:11 - Nov 15 with 3806 viewsDavieQPR

I was told my DNA was back to front. So I said 'and ...'
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:18 - Nov 15 with 3791 viewsTheChef

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 12:39 - Nov 15 by nix

No. That would be a surprise that I hadn't noticed giving birth to another one.

But is my half brother in law 😳.

Tsk I wasn't asking you, I was asking GloryHunter.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:32 - Nov 15 with 3771 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:23 - Nov 15 by BrianMcCarthy

I don’t think so Bri.

The only Basque person I ever met was Manuel the Postman who was always helping my family out while my Dad was at work.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:35 - Nov 15 with 3767 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 09:48 - Nov 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Very exotic, Nix. Look at you!

I've often been tempted. I'd imagine I'd have Viking, Norman, British for a start. Then a very strong possibility of Basque and North Africa as they were huge trading partners for the South-West of Ireland.

Then I'd be hoping for a left-field shock thrown in as well - Mongolian maybe!

Chap I work with, a 6 foot ginger bloke, had 1% Aka Pygmy.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 13:53 - Nov 15 with 3723 viewsRangersw12

I did my DNA test during the first lockdown.

My Mum is adopted so we know next to nothing about her birth family. Found out she has an older brother plus 5 half brothers/sisters.

Managed to do a bit of her family tree and although she was born in London majority of her ancestors were from Durham and Ireland. Majority worked as miners.

Just uploaded my dna to my heritage and my living dna as didn't know could do that until reading this thread

My Dna ethnicity on Ancestry is

71% England
9% Ireland
7% Scotland
6% Wales
4 % Germanic Europe
3% Norway
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 15:31 - Nov 15 with 3630 viewsLongsufferingR

Yes, and sorry to break to you this way GloryHunter, but you owe me 56 years of birthday presents.
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:02 - Nov 15 with 3472 viewsGloryHunter

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 15:31 - Nov 15 by LongsufferingR

Yes, and sorry to break to you this way GloryHunter, but you owe me 56 years of birthday presents.

Crikey, I'm wondering whether to do it now!

I thought it just told you what mix of nationalities you were. I didn't realise it put you in touch with all your distant relatives
[Post edited 15 Nov 2021 19:38]
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:12 - Nov 15 with 3454 viewsnix

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:02 - Nov 15 by GloryHunter

Crikey, I'm wondering whether to do it now!

I thought it just told you what mix of nationalities you were. I didn't realise it put you in touch with all your distant relatives
[Post edited 15 Nov 2021 19:38]

Only if you want to sign up for that. You don't have to Gloryhunter!
DNA tests - anybody had one? on 21:46 - Nov 15 with 3334 viewsdanehoop

Fortunately so far nothing closer than a second cousin for me.

Interesting stats back though 96% British and Irish, with what appears to be a goodish presence of DNA from west of Ireland. Wasn't aware of that link, but not a huge surprise given circumstances.

3.5% Spanish and Portuguese was totally random though as have absolutely no idea where/when that appears from.

Never knowingly understood

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 22:06 - Nov 15 with 3312 viewsGloryHunter

DNA tests - anybody had one? on 18:12 - Nov 15 by nix

Only if you want to sign up for that. You don't have to Gloryhunter!

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Let's see how it goes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024