Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFCON 10:10 - Nov 28 with 4965 viewsdmm

The AFCON competition from 9 January to 6 February 2022 will see Dieng, Chair and Kakay missing up to 6 league games and 2 FA cup games depending on how far their countries progress. My musings...

Kakay won't be such a big miss and Dieng's place will almost certainly be filled by Archer. But how does Warburton deal with the significant loss of Chair, or should that be Chai-eeeeeerrrr!

Will he opt for a formation change with 2 strikers and Willock behind? Will Thomas and/or Duke -McKenna be asked to stake a claim? Maybe Amos could be given a go there? Or, might a new player be brought in with a view of replacing Chair if we don't make it up and he's off in the summer?
AFCON on 10:19 - Nov 28 with 3114 viewsfrancisbowles

We have lots of midfield options.

Kakay is our only fit defensive cover at the moment and covers all the positions. Possibly a bigger problem.
AFCON on 10:26 - Nov 28 with 3076 viewscolinallcars

AFCON on 10:19 - Nov 28 by francisbowles

We have lots of midfield options.

Kakay is our only fit defensive cover at the moment and covers all the positions. Possibly a bigger problem.

I suppose the consolation is that a lot of the teams we play will also be minus players during the African tournament.
AFCON on 10:35 - Nov 28 with 3049 viewssoops

Odubajo back to RWB, and Albert and Willock behind the front man?
AFCON on 10:42 - Nov 28 with 3038 viewsHAYESBOY

Could push JoJo further up and bring in Amos or Field to play in the two?

Or as mentioned, Moses at RWB and Uncs further up the pitch.

Kakay will be missed as he is cover for the centre backs at the moment with injuries.
That just leaves Ball or recall Masterson.
Archer will be ok for a month. Dieng does command his area well though for crosses.

Smells like a trout farm in here

AFCON on 10:48 - Nov 28 with 3023 viewsNorthernr

Do we think it's realistic that this will go ahead given the news this weekend?

If it does, worth saying that AFCON is pushing for players to be released after the Boxing Day games, which means Sky have fcked us again moving our big game with Bournemouth to the 27th.
AFCON on 11:14 - Nov 28 with 2954 viewsDavieQPR

The new covid strain could knock the whole tournament on it's head. Never know.
AFCON on 12:27 - Nov 28 with 2834 viewsLazyFan

Kakay can be covered by Field/Ball. Dieng is covered by Archer as others have said, although I am not sure Archer is that good really so, a bit worrying.

Chair is a big problem. He's probably our best player at the moment. We should send Andre Gray back, get Bonne in, tell Bonne he's now 2nd forward after Dykes to keep him happy. He's done what we all ask "prove yourself at a lower club and then come back and play". Well, Bonne has done that so, has earned his run as 2nd striker to Dykes.

Then change the loan for someone like Eze for 2 months. Palace needs to get Eze fit and we need someone we know can unlock champ defences. Yes I know I am dreaming and it will never happen so, as it won't be Eze, but we need someone "like" that. Financially we can do that if we send Andre Gray back.

We need to do this, as we may not get a better chance to get into the playoffs for some time. As after this season, I am convinced that someone will buy Chair in the summer. And he's probably got a release clause of something pathetic like £9m in his newly signed contract as Freeman did.

zzzzzzzzzz

AFCON on 12:28 - Nov 28 with 2830 viewsNorthernr

AFCON on 11:14 - Nov 28 by DavieQPR

The new covid strain could knock the whole tournament on it's head. Never know.

If I had to bet now I'd say they won't be going, but we won't be at the extra QPR games they get to play instead either.
Login to get fewer ads

AFCON on 12:32 - Nov 28 with 2809 viewsHayesender

AFCON on 12:28 - Nov 28 by Northernr

If I had to bet now I'd say they won't be going, but we won't be at the extra QPR games they get to play instead either.

I don't think they'll lock out supporters again (hope not) but we'll have to have some sort of covid passport like they have in Wales, and have to have a negative test

Poll: Shamima Beghum

AFCON on 13:28 - Nov 28 with 2721 viewsLazyFan

They could move the tournament to Europe and have fanless games, just to get through it. That way at least they get to keep the TV monies, which just like FIFA is all they care about.

zzzzzzzzzz

AFCON on 13:40 - Nov 28 with 2687 viewskensalriser

AFCON on 12:27 - Nov 28 by LazyFan

Kakay can be covered by Field/Ball. Dieng is covered by Archer as others have said, although I am not sure Archer is that good really so, a bit worrying.

Chair is a big problem. He's probably our best player at the moment. We should send Andre Gray back, get Bonne in, tell Bonne he's now 2nd forward after Dykes to keep him happy. He's done what we all ask "prove yourself at a lower club and then come back and play". Well, Bonne has done that so, has earned his run as 2nd striker to Dykes.

Then change the loan for someone like Eze for 2 months. Palace needs to get Eze fit and we need someone we know can unlock champ defences. Yes I know I am dreaming and it will never happen so, as it won't be Eze, but we need someone "like" that. Financially we can do that if we send Andre Gray back.

We need to do this, as we may not get a better chance to get into the playoffs for some time. As after this season, I am convinced that someone will buy Chair in the summer. And he's probably got a release clause of something pathetic like £9m in his newly signed contract as Freeman did.

Certifiable.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

AFCON on 14:15 - Nov 28 with 2635 viewsdmm

How much say does a club have in releasing or not releasing players for international games? It would be difficult to refuse players turning out for England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and N.Ireland but what about Morocco, Senegal and Sierra Leone?
AFCON on 14:21 - Nov 28 with 2626 viewsWatford_Ranger

AFCON on 14:15 - Nov 28 by dmm

How much say does a club have in releasing or not releasing players for international games? It would be difficult to refuse players turning out for England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and N.Ireland but what about Morocco, Senegal and Sierra Leone?

None. Would like to think we can get them for the 27th but would need agreement from the countries.

If the whole thing is called off it would be a huge result for us.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 14:22]
AFCON on 14:22 - Nov 28 with 2620 viewsTGRRRSSS

If it goes ahead they have to be released as it's a sanctioned tournament.
AFCON on 14:23 - Nov 28 with 2619 viewsNorthernr

None, and there are actually rules now banning them from playing for their clubs if they've been withdrawn for spurious reasons - think Blackburn and Chile got involved in an argument about Brereton earlier this season.

Good job such bans weren't around in "Sir Alex's" days, Giggsy would never have been on the field.
AFCON on 15:01 - Nov 28 with 2539 viewsdistortR

tbh, there shouldn't be any difference if someone plays for England or if they play for Morocco, and we have to remember that any reluctance on our part to release a player may well not be appreciated by said player.
AFCON on 15:08 - Nov 28 with 2520 viewsdmm

Thanks all for the above replies. I was wondering if the pandemic might have given a kind of legitimate health and safety reason for withholding permission for players to travel and play international games. Obviously not unless the authorities ruled it as such which would mean the cancelation of the tournament.
AFCON on 19:17 - Nov 28 with 2311 viewsHastings_Hoops

AFCON on 10:35 - Nov 28 by soops

Odubajo back to RWB, and Albert and Willock behind the front man?

This is a great shout.
I also thing Betache needs recalling and playing. He was looking useful last year when
Played.
George Thomas could benefit from a run?
AFCON on 19:22 - Nov 28 with 2288 viewsVancouverHoop

I'm guessing other teams in the upper half of the Championship will have similar problems, though bigger squads perhaps.
AFCON on 19:32 - Nov 28 with 2247 viewsdaveB

AFCON on 12:32 - Nov 28 by Hayesender

I don't think they'll lock out supporters again (hope not) but we'll have to have some sort of covid passport like they have in Wales, and have to have a negative test

yeah i think this is likely, a negative test or proof of the booster vaccine.
AFCON on 19:33 - Nov 28 with 2240 viewsdaveB

AFCON on 14:22 - Nov 28 by TGRRRSSS

If it goes ahead they have to be released as it's a sanctioned tournament.

If there are travel bans to these countries they won't be going anywhere although it's in Cameroon I think which isn't on the red list at the moment. Liverpool already talking about not letting players go
AFCON on 20:34 - Nov 28 with 2129 viewsdmm

WLS pitches in: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-could-make-signings-in-january-because-o

It seems Warburton is concerned about the player losses for potentially up to six weeks.
AFCON on 20:37 - Nov 28 with 2122 viewsMyke

AFCON on 19:33 - Nov 28 by daveB

If there are travel bans to these countries they won't be going anywhere although it's in Cameroon I think which isn't on the red list at the moment. Liverpool already talking about not letting players go

It will all depend on how dangerous the new strain is and they won't know that for at least two weeks more. I can only speak for Ireland, but we are in a far worse place than we were 12 months ago infection wise. As a result of the Delta strain went we into full lockdown in January/feb. Big rush on now to get boosters out, but if the new strain turns out to be even more transmissible than Delta, then can't see AFCON going ahead , with probably games here being behind closed doors.
AFCON on 21:20 - Nov 28 with 2038 viewsozranger

AFCON on 10:48 - Nov 28 by Northernr

Do we think it's realistic that this will go ahead given the news this weekend?

If it does, worth saying that AFCON is pushing for players to be released after the Boxing Day games, which means Sky have fcked us again moving our big game with Bournemouth to the 27th.

I'd like to revisit this comment, given that the WLS item also mentions it. Apologies for thinking out aloud, but I think there is some relevance here and it relates to the decision-making with regard to the move from Dec 26 to 27.

The fact that the organisers of AFCON stated that players are to be released post the Boxing Day games was something no doubt well known prior to Sky making/proposing the decision regards who is to play on the 26th and who on the 27th. The fact that we have three players involved in that tournament was also well known to QPR prior to that decision, the qualifiers completed some time ago.

Thus, if QPR had a say and AFCOM forced the rule, QPR would surely have chosen to not go ahead with the change, knowing full well that they would not have the three players for the Bournemouth match as well as the remainder of the tournament. If QPR had no say, and there is a decent argument for this based on the above, it means that Sky really do run football, perhaps or not in cahoots with the EFL, and can do what they like with the original schedule to suit their own broadcasts while forcing the clubs to toe the line, whether to their detriment or not. That said, I have heard from various sources that the clubs do negotiate in some way on these changes.

However, it has to be recognised that during some discussion with QPR, if it took place, a secondary discussion would no doubt have also taken place between QPR/EFL/FA and AFCON organisers to allow the three players to participate in the Bournemouth match. That discussion may have also been with the three respective countries. Thus, while the likelihood of Sky/EFL doing what they like is quite high, I believe that Chair, Kakay and Dieng will actually be allowed to play against Bournemouth on 27 Dec. One also assumes this applies to those who play for Newcastle and Man Utd who are contesting the PL match also on Mon 27 Dec, their's with an 8pm kickoff.
AFCON on 22:41 - Nov 28 with 1935 viewsdaveB

AFCON on 20:37 - Nov 28 by Myke

It will all depend on how dangerous the new strain is and they won't know that for at least two weeks more. I can only speak for Ireland, but we are in a far worse place than we were 12 months ago infection wise. As a result of the Delta strain went we into full lockdown in January/feb. Big rush on now to get boosters out, but if the new strain turns out to be even more transmissible than Delta, then can't see AFCON going ahead , with probably games here being behind closed doors.

yeah a lot of unknowns with this all at the moment, everyone should know a lot more in 2/3 weeks time when more tests have been run
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024