Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence 08:39 - Nov 30 with 1142 viewsdmm

There seems to be something of a pattern to our game. We start badly, slowly get better, have much improved second half performances and can score vital last minute goals.

Is this a confidence thing with the players realising through the game that they really can beat the opposition? I thought it was telling that Warburton said last night Willock needs to fully believe in himself. I think that goes for the squad as a whole. There's still more to come from them.
Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 09:15 - Nov 30 with 1060 viewsfrancisbowles

I we find it hard to get going and play our passing game. Our opponents seem to believe that they have to get in our face and stop us playing, otherwise we will pull them apart.

As the game progresses, we find it getting easier as tiredness sets in, concentration levels drop and we find a bit more space to start moving the ball better.
Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 09:33 - Nov 30 with 1024 viewsBlackCrowe

Think it's a vicious circle. Other clubs think we start slowly (we do) and the instruction is to blitz us in the first 5 mins, and we know we start slowly and panic and it's whether we can ride out the early chances we offer the oppo.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 09:58 - Nov 30 with 960 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think that is at least the 5th game in a row we have given teams a clear chance inside the first 2 minutes. I'm starting to wonder if it's a superstition thing now and they're doing it deliberately.

Bare bones.

Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 09:59 - Nov 30 with 948 viewsBklynRanger

That's three games in a row were they've had a dangerous shot on target in the first minute. It's mad. Maybe we should just whack it up the touchline and try to crowd them out for the first 5 minutes?

I think I'm OK with the confidence levels though tbh. It seems to be building as our season builds. Morale is the most important and by every account that's very good. I think that mix of older players alongside younger ones who don't feel entitled and genuinely want to learn is a great balance.
Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 10:00 - Nov 30 with 941 viewsswisscottage

As has been mentioned, one of the reason we look to come on string in the second half, is to do with fitness, and the effect of tiring teams out.

As a general rule of thumb, a team that controls possession will result in less running chasing the ball and pressing that the team that doesn't control possession.

It was noticeable in the second half that some of the Derby players looked like they were treading water after about 60 minutes.

I'm always amazed that Willock and Chair are able to see out 90 minutes so well on a consistent basis, given the amount of running they do. I would not be surprised if Chair tops the distance covered stats in that team... does anyone know if running stats are available for players ?
Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 11:00 - Nov 30 with 825 viewsgolborne

We forget that we've been sent out to press from the start. All you hear through the game, certainly first half, is MW yelling 'to the ball, to the ball". 2nd half starts, we press high (properly), they make mistakes and start playing lose balls, and hey presto we start ripping them apart, as they're shaping up to be offensive.
Love the bloke to bits, but Willock is the biggest culprit and Chair ain't far behind. The one who was best at it all night, not just 2nd half, was Dozzell. Not something we saw in the early part of the season. Charlie great, too, but the other pair were no help. Love the team, amazing to watch, we just need to start earlier and finish games by half time, so we can wrap the chosen ones in cotton wool early doors, ready for the next assault.
Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 12:34 - Nov 30 with 706 viewskensalriser

70% of our goals have come in the second half.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bad starts, second half improvement and squad confidence on 12:47 - Nov 30 with 669 viewsjoe90

I've noticed that we've been significantly better on the ball than our opponents. That is simply the difference.

It's no longer enough for teams to sit back and try and catch us on the break. A lot of teams come at us with a few predictable set plays and pasterns of attack/defence, but it's ultimately useless when you're up against a team that is as comfortable on the ball as we are.

The players have the confidence and trust the process, and it shows.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024