Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card 07:33 - Dec 6 with 5489 viewsnumptydumpty

It happens with all teams now.

I don't notice it so much with ourselves but am certain we must do it also. Seny definitely done it few times.

Players go down and sit on the ground when nowt wrong with them at all.

It's so bloody obvious and most referees do absolutely nothing at all even though they must know themselves, what's going on.

It seems even the ones that do end up brandishing yellow cards eventually they allow three or four occasions before they do so.

Its taken over from diving as number one pain in butt in the game today.

Referees rend be very weak with regards to this. Ie More worried about booking someone who is genuinely injured than a player totally and completely blatantly p*****g about and getting away with it.

There's stupid rule about yellow card for taking shirt off when player scores. Which where's the issues with that really.

But shithousery as we seem to label it. No real rules around this and all referees actually seem do not much about it.

It's very irritating but rule change is needed, I feel.

What do we all think ???

[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 7:35]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:07 - Dec 6 with 3166 viewsozranger

Yes, this is a problem.

However, the referee is not a doctor and so there is no way he or she can make a decision as to the severity of any player's possible or definite injury. So, I rather think the premise of your argument to award cautions here has a problem.

That said, there is a case that any player who goes down, irrelevant of injury, must be moved off the field for treatment and, as is the case now, it is at the discretion of the referee to choose when that player should return to the field of play. That is, if a referee can see that a player is obviously trying to time waste by going down, then leave him waiting off the field for a minute instead of almost nothing. It may annoy players, coaches, managers and fans, but it is the player who has transgressed by trying to fool the officials of the game and thus this type of punishment is a plausible solution. If only referees showed some balls and took this option. I have certainly seen it at lower levels. How would your teammates feel if they were playing for a minute, or longer, with only ten men because you chose to try to fool the referee by being stupid?
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:10 - Dec 6 with 3153 viewsNed_Kennedys

Yeah Stoke’s players did it about 5 times yesterday: ref should’ve just continued the play as clearly none of them were head injuries. The ‘injured’ player would soon have got up if play continued around him.
Ref isn’t going to book anyone though as it’s impossible to know if the player is feigning injuries or not.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:11 - Dec 6 with 3159 viewsDixie_CT

Let them be treated on the pitch whilst play continues especially if it’s in the attacking half. Give offside against them or stop the game of the ball within approx 15 yards of them or the physio.

Watch people then limp to the side of the pitch to get treatment or berated by their team mates to get up.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:11 - Dec 6 with 3156 viewsPlanetHonneywood

In rugby they frequently carry on playing around the injured player - who compared to the fops who play football, is likely to be properly injured - while s/he receives treatment.

The other obvious thing to do - as in rugby - is stop the clock, so not to lose any time.

Not f.....g hard but for football it seems something beyond the intelligence of the relevant authorities.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:54 - Dec 6 with 3077 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Yes, we definitely do it - Johansson is one I've often noticed feigning injury.

In fact, our comms team have recently been praising us for doing it. And many Rangers fans found Adomah's time-wasting with the throw-ins hilrious.

I always thought a simple rule to trial would be that all players requiring treatment have to be treated off the field and three minutes of play have to elapse before they or their sub is brought on.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 09:01 - Dec 6 with 3058 viewsactonman

Until something is done about it then the ref should just add time on at the end !
5 pathetic injuries - 5 mins
6 subs - 3 mins
Plus any other fcukery from goalkeepers and throw ins etc.
When the ref gives the mandatory 5 min after all that sh!thousing yesterday, it will only encourage the same next game.
10 mins if added time yesterday and they would soon stop doing it
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 09:18 - Dec 6 with 3017 viewsenfieldargh

Of the sit downers of Stoke yesterday.

Campbell went down , tried to carry on then moments later sat down got subbed

Sawyers went down holding his thigh(I think) and went off.

The others were obviously playing THE GAME as they ran back on without any effects whatsoever.

OzRangers idea of making them go off and spend at least one minute waiting to reenter the field sounds like a simple solution.

However Kaykay took a kick and was slow to get up, should he also be sent off for a minute? He didnt request the trainers.

Ilias got a knock very early on but continued on but didn't go down. He was in obvious pain but carried on. Even returning to the pitch for the 2nd half he was hobbling a bit but continued for the full 90 mins.

Difficult one here and a shame it wasnt raised to MW at the FF

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 09:27 - Dec 6 with 2995 viewsrrrspricey

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:11 - Dec 6 by PlanetHonneywood

In rugby they frequently carry on playing around the injured player - who compared to the fops who play football, is likely to be properly injured - while s/he receives treatment.

The other obvious thing to do - as in rugby - is stop the clock, so not to lose any time.

Not f.....g hard but for football it seems something beyond the intelligence of the relevant authorities.

This all day long.

There is absolutely no need to to stop play for anything other that a head injury. The amount of players from Sjoke who just sat down because they were "injured" yesterday was unbelievable.

Not sure how a ref can tell whether a player is feigning injury so showing a yellow isn't really an option. Saying that, I'm in favour of much harsher penalties for the more unsavoury elements of the game like diving, deliberate fouls (give them a red irrespective of whether they're the last man/denying a goal scoring opportunity or not)
Login to get fewer ads

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 10:02 - Dec 6 with 2945 viewsqprd

I didn’t think Stoke was bad as some other teams we’ve played … both Campbell and sawyers went off… I think sawyers and Campbell actually went off so it’s not like they were faking it
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 10:16 - Dec 6 with 2918 viewsheadhoops

I had a feeling after they went ahead we would see some sh1thousery from Stoke so kept one eye on the scoreboard clock whenever they had an injury and play was stopped. Got bored when it passed 8 minutes. Could easily have been 10 minutes + 'stoppage' time. Not that we would have scored, but at least if teams know there is a stopwatch going there may be less game management.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 10:19 - Dec 6 with 2911 viewsJuzzie

On MoTD, a Brighton player went down fairly innocuously and the TV commentator was basically saying there was nothing wrong with him.
He ended going off on a stretcher so clearly there was.

This is why, as mentioned above and previously, why it's so difficult because people cannot be sure so they have to stop the game. Problem is there's always plenty of cnts who will exploit this.
Those that are cheating will feign the injury and see it through by pretending they are now OK after a couple of minutes of attention from the bucket & sponge otherwise they know they'll get booked. I doubt the physio will say to the ref there was nothing wrong with the player.
Unless we now have to have neutral physio's who have to come on the pitch?
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 11:24 - Dec 6 with 2814 viewsBklynRanger

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:10 - Dec 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Yeah Stoke’s players did it about 5 times yesterday: ref should’ve just continued the play as clearly none of them were head injuries. The ‘injured’ player would soon have got up if play continued around him.
Ref isn’t going to book anyone though as it’s impossible to know if the player is feigning injuries or not.

That ref yesterday seemed to be too quick to stop things - I think they need to be a little bit intentionally unaware to this stuff these days where possible, unless a head injury as you say. He was turning round stopping the game as soon as a player started holding their leg - no need.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 11:41 - Dec 6 with 2770 viewsPlanetHonneywood

There is also a need to empower refs to actually respond.

Possibly one of the most egregious pieces of feigning injury I have ever seen since Rivaldo in a World Cup a few tournaments back (against Turkey I think), was in the recent Copa Libertadores final between Flamengo and Palmaries.

With Palmaries winning 2-1 in injury time of extra time, their striker gets in a tangle with two Flamengo defenders and after his dying swan impression, the ref ambles over and awards Flamengo the free kick.

The striker remonstrates while being sat on his backside. The ref basically says get up, so he does and both he and the ref start running back to the halfway line. The ref, slightly behind the striker, 'pats' him on the lower back as if to say, 'get on with it.

Even JFK's reaction after being hit by the third and fatal bullet was less dramatic than that which suddenly saw the striker felled and rolling around like a complete twunt! The Palmaries players seeing their stricken comrade in the last throws of life; request the ref to intervene. He merely saunters back and after availing the striker of the facts, the striker is up and prancing like Bambi to get back to the halfway line.

Not a yellow in sight!

This is the type of shithousery that needs clamping down either at the instant it takes place and/or retrospectively. As I mentioned earlier the game can continue and/or just stop the clock.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 13:37 - Dec 6 with 2607 viewsNorthernr

I actually think the medical staff should be above this, and a bit ashamed of their part in it. They're there for the safety and well being of the players, not to get involved in the shthousing. Some shameful stuff yesterday, last home game against Huddersfield you had the two physios deliberately walking off slowly and winking to the paddocks on the way to run the clock down. Forest a couple of years ago their physios were colluding in the illusion bryce Samba had something wrong with his face when nobody had been anywhere near him.

Every incident like it moves us closer to one where there is something very seriously wrong with a player and an exasperated referee decides he had enough and plays on.

One solution is the old style rugby league approach where you play on, and the guy is treated in back play unless he's in the way and/or the doctor (as opposed to the physio) is on the field. Sadly rugby league players, clubs and medics have now also ruined this rule for themselves because you see players deliberately hobble into a position where they're in the way and then go down, or the club doctor suspiciously quick to run onto the field for some spurious nonsense forcing a game to be stopped just as the opposition have got a dangerous break on down field.

It's just another really hateful element of modern sport, and the ongoing celebration of 'shithousing' as a good thing rather than something to stamp out of the game. It's particularly unpalatable when it's the fcking trained medics doing it though.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 13:56 - Dec 6 with 2560 viewsBklynRanger

Yeah in terms of that collusion I've been noticing roughly since the Preston game (shock horror) a handful of occasions where the player will go down before he's substituted, eat the clock up and hobble off, but look fine once he's past the touchline.

As in it's a way to drag extra minutes out of a substitution that was going to happen anyway rather than an injury that required a substitution.

I could be wrong/going mad but certain ones have looked like that to me in recent weeks.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 13:59 - Dec 6 with 2554 viewscolinallcars

Late in the game yesterday their goalie made a save down to his right and grimacing with pain proceded to vigorously rub his right shoulder and upper arm. A team mate then yanked him to his feet by the same arm that was supposedly injured.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:03 - Dec 6 with 2545 viewsLongsufferingR

Worst one for me yesterday was when we had a free kick and went to take it quickly but one of their players (nothing to do with the incident) sat down as we took it.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:04 - Dec 6 with 2542 viewsNorthernr

One that's annoying me at the moment is when the player sits down, obviously very little wrong with him, the referee goes across and asks what's wrong to try and ascertain whether the physio is required, the player says he's ok and doesn't need the physio (presumably because he doesn't want to be off the field while defending the corner or whatever it is coming up) but then we wait for him to tart about with his socks for a bit and get up before we restart. Get the fcking thing taken, if he's fcking around on the floor that's his problem.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:05 - Dec 6 with 2530 viewsNorthernr

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:03 - Dec 6 by LongsufferingR

Worst one for me yesterday was when we had a free kick and went to take it quickly but one of their players (nothing to do with the incident) sat down as we took it.

Yes, there were a couple yesterday where we'd actually already taken the free kick or throw in quickly, and the player sat down as we took it or just after and the game was stopped. Sorry mate, again, that should be tough sht.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:22 - Dec 6 with 2467 viewsBklynRanger

Next time one of our midfielders gives the ball away like yesterday they should immediately sit down and start waving their arms around like a mentalist - before the ball goes in the net ideally. Worth a try.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:35 - Dec 6 with 2438 viewsSonofpugwash

Wouldn't have made any difference yesterday we could have played all night and not scored.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 14:39]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:36 - Dec 6 with 2434 viewsPinnerPaul

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:07 - Dec 6 by ozranger

Yes, this is a problem.

However, the referee is not a doctor and so there is no way he or she can make a decision as to the severity of any player's possible or definite injury. So, I rather think the premise of your argument to award cautions here has a problem.

That said, there is a case that any player who goes down, irrelevant of injury, must be moved off the field for treatment and, as is the case now, it is at the discretion of the referee to choose when that player should return to the field of play. That is, if a referee can see that a player is obviously trying to time waste by going down, then leave him waiting off the field for a minute instead of almost nothing. It may annoy players, coaches, managers and fans, but it is the player who has transgressed by trying to fool the officials of the game and thus this type of punishment is a plausible solution. If only referees showed some balls and took this option. I have certainly seen it at lower levels. How would your teammates feel if they were playing for a minute, or longer, with only ten men because you chose to try to fool the referee by being stupid?

Excellent post.

I agree, it wasn't so much the time wasted yesterday, as I thought referee added the correct amount of time on in each half, it was done to (successfully) kill any momentum we were trying to build.

You're correct, a player goes down, all referee can do is ask "Do you need treatment?"

"No, I'll be OK in tick"
"Yes"

What's he supposed to do then?

As you say the law DOES say that they can only be assessed and not treated on the pitch, but again its difficult to enforce.

To illustrate the difficulty, in amongst all the non injuries yesterday, two players who went down, WERE subbed, so impossible, as you say, for referee to determine if 'injuries' are fake or genuine.

That IS the problem with your solution, quite possible for a player to suffer a genuine injury, go off and be fine to come back on, very difficult for referee to make an arbitrary judgement on how long to leave him standing there.

The not allowing treatment on the fop law was brought in to stop this sort of thing, clearly it doesn't.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:37 - Dec 6 with 2428 viewsPinnerPaul

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 08:11 - Dec 6 by Dixie_CT

Let them be treated on the pitch whilst play continues especially if it’s in the attacking half. Give offside against them or stop the game of the ball within approx 15 yards of them or the physio.

Watch people then limp to the side of the pitch to get treatment or berated by their team mates to get up.

That is a possible solution - happens in Rugby and Hockey.
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:41 - Dec 6 with 2403 viewsPinnerPaul

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 13:37 - Dec 6 by Northernr

I actually think the medical staff should be above this, and a bit ashamed of their part in it. They're there for the safety and well being of the players, not to get involved in the shthousing. Some shameful stuff yesterday, last home game against Huddersfield you had the two physios deliberately walking off slowly and winking to the paddocks on the way to run the clock down. Forest a couple of years ago their physios were colluding in the illusion bryce Samba had something wrong with his face when nobody had been anywhere near him.

Every incident like it moves us closer to one where there is something very seriously wrong with a player and an exasperated referee decides he had enough and plays on.

One solution is the old style rugby league approach where you play on, and the guy is treated in back play unless he's in the way and/or the doctor (as opposed to the physio) is on the field. Sadly rugby league players, clubs and medics have now also ruined this rule for themselves because you see players deliberately hobble into a position where they're in the way and then go down, or the club doctor suspiciously quick to run onto the field for some spurious nonsense forcing a game to be stopped just as the opposition have got a dangerous break on down field.

It's just another really hateful element of modern sport, and the ongoing celebration of 'shithousing' as a good thing rather than something to stamp out of the game. It's particularly unpalatable when it's the fcking trained medics doing it though.

Yes agree, shameful that medics involved.

Didn't the reverse apply with Mourinho and the Chelsea physio, who wanted to go on, but JM shouted at her not to (because they were losing)?
Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:43 - Dec 6 with 2397 viewsNorthernr

Feigning Injury to Waste Time - Change Rules - Immediate Yellow Card on 14:36 - Dec 6 by PinnerPaul

Excellent post.

I agree, it wasn't so much the time wasted yesterday, as I thought referee added the correct amount of time on in each half, it was done to (successfully) kill any momentum we were trying to build.

You're correct, a player goes down, all referee can do is ask "Do you need treatment?"

"No, I'll be OK in tick"
"Yes"

What's he supposed to do then?

As you say the law DOES say that they can only be assessed and not treated on the pitch, but again its difficult to enforce.

To illustrate the difficulty, in amongst all the non injuries yesterday, two players who went down, WERE subbed, so impossible, as you say, for referee to determine if 'injuries' are fake or genuine.

That IS the problem with your solution, quite possible for a player to suffer a genuine injury, go off and be fine to come back on, very difficult for referee to make an arbitrary judgement on how long to leave him standing there.

The not allowing treatment on the fop law was brought in to stop this sort of thing, clearly it doesn't.

I think it's very unfair that they're putting pressure on referees to effectively act as triage doctors. They're always going to go with caution because you wouldn't want to be the referee playing on while some geezer has broken his leg or worse.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024