Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen duke McKenna 18:07 - Dec 6 with 2832 viewspaulhoop2

Is he not worth a shout at WB instead of the useless Thomas? Never been convinced by Thomas I’m afraid and whenever I’ve seen SDMK he’s impressed

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Stephen duke McKenna on 18:27 - Dec 6 with 2284 viewsParkRoyalR

Thomas was excellent when he came on Sunday, his movement created 2 or 3 good chances for himself and was unlucky not to score.

I beginning to see what MW sees in him and if he can continue with that level of performance he might be able to fill Chairs boots during the AFCON.
Stephen duke McKenna on 18:30 - Dec 6 with 2275 viewsfrancisbowles

I thought Thomas was quite lively when he came on yesterday, he's far from useless and hasn't played many first team games. Fair enough you haven't been impressed but you don't have to be so derogatory about him.
Stephen duke McKenna on 18:35 - Dec 6 with 2252 viewsEsox_Lucius

Thomas had 3 decent chances it made me think, why wasn't Gray getting into those positions? Thomas is the sort of Simon Barker/ Shaun Derry type of player that will always perform at a decent standard and rarely ever hitting a 9/10 performance. I'd trust MW to know what he is doing with the players and the rotation/ injury handling.

The grass is always greener.

Stephen duke McKenna on 18:47 - Dec 6 with 2213 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Another one who thought he was very good when he came on Sunday. Made a real impact the best we've seen from him and unlucky not to get a goal. Hopefully he can stay fit now.

I don't know what the answer is to our wingback problem. A change of system yes but we'll need to be at our best to get anything from bramall lane.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Stephen duke McKenna on 18:49 - Dec 6 with 2199 viewsdmm

My one worry about Thomas is Warburton seems to be very reluctant to use him. In the year and a half he's been with us he's started very few games. Admittedly he'd be used in Willock or Chair's positions, but I do how much Warburton rates him.
Stephen duke McKenna on 19:04 - Dec 6 with 2151 viewsJigsore

Stephen duke McKenna on 18:49 - Dec 6 by dmm

My one worry about Thomas is Warburton seems to be very reluctant to use him. In the year and a half he's been with us he's started very few games. Admittedly he'd be used in Willock or Chair's positions, but I do how much Warburton rates him.

i don't think Warburton is reluctant to use him, just everytime Thomas seems to have a little spell in the team whether it be starting or off the bench he picks up an innocuous injury and we don't see him for several months at a time. then he has to fight to get back into the team and so on and so on

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Stephen duke McKenna on 19:18 - Dec 6 with 2095 viewsstevec

Stephen duke McKenna on 18:35 - Dec 6 by Esox_Lucius

Thomas had 3 decent chances it made me think, why wasn't Gray getting into those positions? Thomas is the sort of Simon Barker/ Shaun Derry type of player that will always perform at a decent standard and rarely ever hitting a 9/10 performance. I'd trust MW to know what he is doing with the players and the rotation/ injury handling.

Looked to me like Grays movement was occupying their defenders far more than Charlie and possibly why Thomas was getting a fair bit of space that hadn’t been obvious in the first 80 minutes.

Thomas looked the liveliest I’ve seen him but guess cameo appearances that’s a lot easier to do. Not sure he’s capable for 90 mins but still a lot better than previous.

Duke McKenna too early to say, bit of a roadrunner, hope that’s not just blinding us to any major deficiencies.
Stephen duke McKenna on 19:20 - Dec 6 with 2104 viewspaulhoop2

Played better than usual Sunday but as I said never been impressed.

Login to get fewer ads

Stephen duke McKenna on 19:39 - Dec 6 with 2024 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He’s been unlucky here so far.

Defo couldn’t be confident enough to say he’s useless or decent. Great pedigree and for that reason alone I think we shouldn’t write him off.

Also, until injuries have hit, who would we have dropped?
Stephen duke McKenna on 19:50 - Dec 6 with 1967 viewsaston_hoop

To be honest, I am not really sure still what his best position is or what kind of a player he is. Not a dig at him, just have not seen nearly enough. Assume he'll be one of the ones who will see more game time with Chair away in Jan so we'll maybe find out more. Thomas that is, the Duke might benefit from a League 2 loan if someone else becomes available

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Stephen duke McKenna on 20:10 - Dec 6 with 1913 viewsLowerloftLad

I don't rate Thomas at all but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Duke McKenna has looked really good in the game time he has had.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Stephen duke McKenna on 21:14 - Dec 6 with 1762 viewsLazyFan

Thomas was good on Sunday, however as others said Gray occupied 2 of their defenders as they were afraid of the ball over the top to him. This created space for Thomas, but credit where it's due, he used that space to good effect.

What begs the question though is if he's good enough, why has McKenna sometimes gotten the subs bench ahead of him? Or that is how it seems anyway. I am not sure Thomas is gonna make it for us.

As if Thomas is not fit all the time, then we cannot carry him. We have the Wallace and Gromit (de Wijs) to carry and that's enough. BTW I don't know how these terrible nicknames of Gromit for de Wijs appear, whoever starts them should be ashamed of themselves.

McKenna should be given a run-out with all our injuries at some point.

zzzzzzzzzz

Stephen duke McKenna on 21:19 - Dec 6 with 1742 viewspaulhoop2

Well said lazy exactly my point. He won’t make it . Sdmk better potential and very unlucky

Stephen duke McKenna on 21:20 - Dec 6 with 1741 viewsLogman

Is this a thread about 4 months too late ? I think Thomas played RWB in a game back then. Certainly, when he came on on Sunday he was nowhere near WB.

Speaking of which did anyone else think Field was playing left midfield and not LWB on Sunday ?

For about 20 minutes I thought he was playing there and Barbet at LB in a back four
Stephen duke McKenna on 22:09 - Dec 6 with 1652 viewsGloryHunter

George Thomas was good yesterday, in the short time given him. Had three goal attempts. But I too would like to see the Duke given a few chances - he was electric when he came on against Everton (??) in the LC. I can't imagine why he's not being given a chance to show what he can do.
Stephen duke McKenna on 23:09 - Dec 6 with 1569 viewsdaveB

whatever you think of Duke Mckenna or Thomas neither of them are wing backs so would expect either to struggle in that position
Stephen duke McKenna on 23:33 - Dec 6 with 1537 viewsWestbourneR

Disagree, I've seen DMcK a few times and he has all the attributes to do a good job at wingback. Trouble is he's right sided.

Ossie in the back three and push Barbet to LWB with Duke at RWB?

Honestly, it'd probably be easier to go 4231 for a bit.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Stephen duke McKenna on 23:37 - Dec 6 with 1528 viewsdaveB

Stephen duke McKenna on 23:33 - Dec 6 by WestbourneR

Disagree, I've seen DMcK a few times and he has all the attributes to do a good job at wingback. Trouble is he's right sided.

Ossie in the back three and push Barbet to LWB with Duke at RWB?

Honestly, it'd probably be easier to go 4231 for a bit.

I think with the injuries switching to a back 4 seems the only real solution, anything else is just square pegs in round holes
Stephen duke McKenna on 08:06 - Dec 7 with 1386 viewsTheChef

Why wasn't was this thread titled 'I hate George Thomas'?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Stephen duke McKenna on 09:03 - Dec 7 with 1306 viewsrobith

Thomas for a variety reasons, has only played 769 minutes for us, which works out at about 8 and a half games so I'm always confused how anyone can have a strong opinion on his ability (his physical condition less so) either way
Stephen duke McKenna on 09:05 - Dec 7 with 1304 viewsdmm

Stephen duke McKenna on 08:06 - Dec 7 by TheChef

Why wasn't was this thread titled 'I hate George Thomas'?

Did anyone say they hated Thomas? I think some have simply raised questions about him, including me. That happens all the time on here about all sorts of players.

If he gets the chance, I'd be delighted to see him demonstrate that he can command a place in the team.
Stephen duke McKenna on 09:06 - Dec 7 with 1300 viewsNorthantsHoop

Think we are just going to have to muddle through until Albert and Moses are fit. Field is not a left wing back and looked out of place to me in that role. Be better employing him in the middle to intercept and challenge our weakness on players storming through centre and scoring. Think Warbs will have to try out Thomas or Duke Mckenna in wing back roles and see if it works if we are to maintain the current system.
Stephen duke McKenna on 10:26 - Dec 7 with 1159 viewsSonofpugwash

George is far from useless,the only spark of liveliness in an otherwise drab performance.
He is listed as a central attacking midfielder - plays like that for Wales.
He's in the Chair mould but I'd prefer to see us nick Faysal Bettache back from Oldham.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Stephen duke McKenna on 11:21 - Dec 7 with 1100 viewsTheChef

Stephen duke McKenna on 09:05 - Dec 7 by dmm

Did anyone say they hated Thomas? I think some have simply raised questions about him, including me. That happens all the time on here about all sorts of players.

If he gets the chance, I'd be delighted to see him demonstrate that he can command a place in the team.

No but the OP clearly doesn't like Thomas!

Anyway I'm lumping on for a SDMcK hattrick in our Cup win over Rotherham

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Stephen duke McKenna on 11:26 - Dec 7 with 1088 viewspaulhoop2

I’m not convinced with him no. He’s injury prone and failed to live up
To his potential ( wales caps etc )

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024