Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Langley Best Goals 17:00 - Jan 5 with 4096 viewsdaveB

I'm working on a video for my QPR Memories Youtube channel which will countdown the best 10 goals scored by Richard Langley and rather than me picking them as I have with players from the 70's, 80's and 90's so far I thought it might be interesting to open it up to QPR fans to vote for their favourites which will feature in an upcoming video.
Below you should see a video of all of Richard Langleys goals for QPR and a link to vote for your favourite. The 2 penalties he scored are not included in the vote.

Voting Link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/P6NKFTM

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:31 - Jan 6 with 1374 viewsW7Ranger

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:09 - Jan 6 by TheChef

Didn't realise those games were so close to each other.

That Arsenal cup game was facking awful.

I think the first 3 goals were own goals as well if I remember correctly?

Awful to watch and showed just how far we'd fallen in 5 years. Then the Fulham game with those 2 injuries condemned us to the worst season I can recall in my life time.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:36 - Jan 6 with 1364 viewsMrSheen

Richard Langley Best Goals on 08:50 - Jan 6 by nadera78

A very good footballer, and one I enjoyed watching. A couple of things stood out for me, over his career with us.

First, it was his elevation from academy to first team that improved us enough that we avoided relegation in Gerry Francis' second spell in charge. He really was that important straight away. He just took to it naturally, immediately.

Secondly, a miserable week in 2001 (I think) where we got destroyed by Arsenal in the cup (and Viera absolutely monstered Langley in midfield - far from the only player to suffer that fate, obviously) followed a few days later by that miserable Fulham game, where both Langley and Clarke Carlisle tore their ACLs. That game stood out to me as a real low; our best players injured longterm, and a local club I'd never really given a second thought to obviously on their way to better days than us.

Finally, a piece of great skill from Langley in a game against Wimbledon. From a defensive position the ball was played out to him on the halfway line, close to the dug outs. He waited, and waited, and waited, facing the sideline, as two Wimbledon players closed in on him. Right at the last second, as it looked like they'd trapped him against the sideline, he pulled off a beautiful Cruyff turn between the two of them. They had no idea what was going on. Beautiful.

It's hard to describe for those that haven't seen it, and goals only show a part of it, but his pure technique was breathtaking. The goals show off his ability to curl a free-kick, but I can remember him striking passes so clean and straight that the maker's logo wouldn't move out of position over 30-40 yards. One of the few players who could get me out of the pub early to watch warming up.

Interesting debate...with the exception of Raheem Sterling, Langley was our most talented home-grown player between Eze and ??? I would say Bradley Allen, though Gallen, Impey and Quashie can variously claim to have been more effective.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 9:37]
Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:37 - Jan 6 with 1364 viewsSK_hoops

I met some woman at work once who told me she dated a footballer for a short time. She said 'trust me you wouldn't know him'. It was...

Richard Langley.

She was shocked that I regarded him so highly.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:44 - Jan 6 with 1346 viewsW7Ranger

Can't remember the circumstances around his sending off up at Oldham. But losing him for the Play off was a huge blow for us. Our most creative suspended and our most prolific scoring moved to right wing!! Uuurrrggghhh!

I'm sure we would've beaten Cardiff if Langley wasn't suspended.

And to cap it off, he then joins Cardiff about 3 games in to the following season.

Proper sliding doors moment that certainly changed his career path.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:51 - Jan 6 with 1340 viewsE17hoop

Richard Langley Best Goals on 17:08 - Jan 5 by Northernr

I think the volley from the corner of the box, where his corner gets cleared and he just goes and meets it full on and sends dipping into the far corner, is technically as good a goal as you'll see anywhere. A proper one of those cliched goals that 'if Ronaldo had scored it...' you'd still be seeing clips of it now 20-odd years later.

This. Was sitting in the front of ER and right behind RL when he struck it.

We'd had a couple of corners immediately before this, all from the same side, all going out again for another corner. My eldest (5), before this one was taken, said to me:
"Why don't we just shoot?"

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:53 - Jan 6 with 1335 viewsdaveB

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:44 - Jan 6 by W7Ranger

Can't remember the circumstances around his sending off up at Oldham. But losing him for the Play off was a huge blow for us. Our most creative suspended and our most prolific scoring moved to right wing!! Uuurrrggghhh!

I'm sure we would've beaten Cardiff if Langley wasn't suspended.

And to cap it off, he then joins Cardiff about 3 games in to the following season.

Proper sliding doors moment that certainly changed his career path.

He was sent off in an LDV game that season which is why he got a 2 game ban and missed the final rather than just 1 game.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:59 - Jan 6 with 1327 viewsJuzzie

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:31 - Jan 6 by W7Ranger

I think the first 3 goals were own goals as well if I remember correctly?

Awful to watch and showed just how far we'd fallen in 5 years. Then the Fulham game with those 2 injuries condemned us to the worst season I can recall in my life time.

2 goals are credited as OG's but I'm absolutely convinced it was indeed 3.

Yes, as others have said the sending off up at Oldham meant he missed the 2nd leg and final. I think everyone initially thought it would just be a 1 game ban and forgot about the sending off early in the season. What a blow that was when we discovered it was 2 games. I too think we would have won the final had he played.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:19 - Jan 6 with 1293 viewsTheChef

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:59 - Jan 6 by Juzzie

2 goals are credited as OG's but I'm absolutely convinced it was indeed 3.

Yes, as others have said the sending off up at Oldham meant he missed the 2nd leg and final. I think everyone initially thought it would just be a 1 game ban and forgot about the sending off early in the season. What a blow that was when we discovered it was 2 games. I too think we would have won the final had he played.

And then bizarrely Pacquette started up front in the final with Thomson, and Gallen played right midfield?!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:20 - Jan 6 with 1287 viewsslmrstid

That 2001/02 Blackpool effort for me, phenomenal.

I get that we signed Kevin McLeod permanently and Tony Thorpe off the back of the money that came in for Richard Langley...but I think if he'd stayed we'd have won Division Two in 2003/04. He was a bit like Taarabt in being one magical player who was head and shoulders above everyone else in the league.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:24 - Jan 6 with 1280 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:36 - Jan 6 by MrSheen

It's hard to describe for those that haven't seen it, and goals only show a part of it, but his pure technique was breathtaking. The goals show off his ability to curl a free-kick, but I can remember him striking passes so clean and straight that the maker's logo wouldn't move out of position over 30-40 yards. One of the few players who could get me out of the pub early to watch warming up.

Interesting debate...with the exception of Raheem Sterling, Langley was our most talented home-grown player between Eze and ??? I would say Bradley Allen, though Gallen, Impey and Quashie can variously claim to have been more effective.

"Interesting debate...with the exception of Raheem Sterling, Langley was our most talented home-grown player between Eze and ??? I would say Bradley Allen, though Gallen, Impey and Quashie can variously claim to have been more effective."

I'm going to go with Quashie.

Absolutely superb technical player and the mythical midfield controller. He bossed the game with ease. Unreal range of passing with metronomic efficiency.

I watched him a lot underage and he was almost always the best player on the pitch by a distance. This included an entire season when he played in the same team as Gallen. Our youth team-watching group had to tell Des Bulpin that he had played Quashie all season despite him being a year underage!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:25 - Jan 6 with 1282 viewsW7Ranger

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:53 - Jan 6 by daveB

He was sent off in an LDV game that season which is why he got a 2 game ban and missed the final rather than just 1 game.

Yeah I know. But had he not got sent off v Oldham, he would've played in the final.

All if's and buts. But I do believe we would've beaten Cardiff with Langley in the side and Gallen up top.

Instead, we lose, Cardiff go up, and then they buy Langley from us! Farkers!
Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:28 - Jan 6 with 1268 viewsTheChef

Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:25 - Jan 6 by W7Ranger

Yeah I know. But had he not got sent off v Oldham, he would've played in the final.

All if's and buts. But I do believe we would've beaten Cardiff with Langley in the side and Gallen up top.

Instead, we lose, Cardiff go up, and then they buy Langley from us! Farkers!

Surely we had some one else to play right mid, so Gallen and Thomson could play as the two strikers?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:43 - Jan 6 with 1255 viewsnadera78

Richard Langley Best Goals on 09:36 - Jan 6 by MrSheen

Probably Quashie, for me. He was another beautiful passer of the ball and, again, looked like he was born to play in midfield for us when he made his debut aged 17. I know some people will say he didn't quite live up to the very high expectations placed upon him, but he had a very good career. Like Langley, he had a couple of bad injuries along the way which didn't help. To have produced two home-grown players like that in quick succession (actually just the continuation of 30 years of doing it) followed by pretty much nothing for 20 years, really emphasises the extent to which the club fell apart.

I do like the Bradley Allen shout though. Perhaps he was a little too slight to really sustain a career at the top end?
Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:54 - Jan 6 with 1230 viewsMrSheen

Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:43 - Jan 6 by nadera78

Probably Quashie, for me. He was another beautiful passer of the ball and, again, looked like he was born to play in midfield for us when he made his debut aged 17. I know some people will say he didn't quite live up to the very high expectations placed upon him, but he had a very good career. Like Langley, he had a couple of bad injuries along the way which didn't help. To have produced two home-grown players like that in quick succession (actually just the continuation of 30 years of doing it) followed by pretty much nothing for 20 years, really emphasises the extent to which the club fell apart.

I do like the Bradley Allen shout though. Perhaps he was a little too slight to really sustain a career at the top end?

Pre-internet, and not having connections at the club, I never knew what went wrong with Bradley - injuries, poor training (could look a bit tubby), failure to get on with Wilkins? Gallen seemed to jump ahead of him as soon as he was ready, but Bradley looked a natural from the minute he arrived in the team at the top level. I didn't see a lot of Quashie as his appearances for us were mostly around when my twins were born - if I had known he was going so quickly I would have made more effort.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 11:44 - Jan 6 with 1192 viewsAntti_Heinola

Richard Langley Best Goals on 10:19 - Jan 6 by TheChef

And then bizarrely Pacquette started up front in the final with Thomson, and Gallen played right midfield?!

Thomson was only sub. RP was up front with Furlong.
We didn't really have anyone else to play RM - after that we got Ainsworth in and the rest is history ;)
[Post edited 6 Jan 2022 11:46]

Bare bones.

Richard Langley Best Goals on 11:48 - Jan 6 with 1185 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just to add as well, I've met Langers two or three times since his retirement, just randomly, and he is a really, really lovely guy. Happy to stop and chat Rangers and still cares about the club. Really liked him. I remember a guy behind me when I sat in LR *HATED* him. No idea why.

Bare bones.

Richard Langley Best Goals on 11:49 - Jan 6 with 1184 viewsNordicR

The 2nd ever QPR goal I saw was that freekick against Wrexham.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 15:28 - Jan 6 with 1081 viewscyprusmel

Richard Langley Best Goals on 23:52 - Jan 5 by BrianMcCarthy

8 - Blackpool volley
17 - Cardiff volley
21 - Cheltenham postage stamp

Great idea, Dave!

Number 8 for me too Brian.
Richard Langley Best Goals on 17:54 - Jan 12 with 844 viewsdaveB

Thanks to everyone who voted, have added together votes and video of the top 10 goals will be online early next week
Richard Langley Best Goals on 19:25 - Jan 12 with 807 viewspaulparker

I was there in the cold p1ssing rain on a Tuesday night when Gerry went for broke and played Langley for his first start , we were struggling big time and Gerry was under pressure and played a few youngsters I think Richard Graham also made his debut and he was highly rated at the time
5 minutes in landers scored and we had a new hero
We clung on for the 2-1
Gutted when he went to Cardiff

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Richard Langley Best Goals on 12:11 - Jan 18 with 681 viewsdaveB

Thanks to everyone who voted, here you go with the top 10 Richard Langley goals as voted for by QPR fans

Richard Langley Best Goals on 12:16 - Jan 18 with 653 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My Top 3 came 1st, 7th (!) and 4th.

I know nothing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024