Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This season and next season 08:35 - Mar 23 with 3294 viewsDixie_CT

We have had a disproportionate amount of injuries throughout this season. Field, McCallum, Wallace, Johansen, Dykes, Amos, Willock and five keepers! Added to Dieng and Chair away at AFCON, this is fair bit of disruption in one season.

Some signings in Hendrick and Sanderson that on paper looked solid but just haven’t worked out. It happens some time and what did we really know about those players, especially Sanderson? Some signing mistakes at the start of the year were made by bringing in Austin and Gray, the former stinking of an owners PR purchase.

You can’t really account for the injuries but you can account for the recruitment and loaning out of players who could have done the same job or maybe better, which is also in line with the business plan. Now we have work to do, getting the model back in order as Austin and Stef will be hard to shift.

End of the day, we are going to stay up this season and we need at least an average end to it to stop the doomsday scenarios being predicted. Personally, I don’t like Warburton and I think it his slightly arrogant approach in the media that makes him fair game when things don’t goto plan, he leaves himself no room to move.

If the board do decide to change the manager, then it would probably be Eustace who should be given a shot. Some continuity and freedom for Eustace to stamp his own mark would be less risky than bringing in a completely new person and the guy is clearly rated as a coach.

Expectations were obviously raised by the end of last season, the signings we made and the results we managed to get for 2/3s of the season but Reading at home aside, I don’t really remember us dominating a team, it’s all been by hook or by crook, one goal here or a dodgy decision there. There has probably been others but the mundane approach of trying not to lose and win by possession are cancelling out a lot of the year.

Next season, it would be good to see us developing our own players, especially those currently out on loan, playing exciting football and finding mid table. To expect anything more is just a wish because our real budget doesn’t even have us in this division.
This season and next season on 08:55 - Mar 23 with 3215 viewsLogman

You seem to suggest that we have under-achieved (for one reason or another) this season and things need to be corrected but then you finish by saying that we are punching above our weight and exceeding expectations, given the size of our resources - so I am not entirely sure of your message.

Also, it would be great to develop more players from within but I am also not sure where they are going to come from - a reserve keeper maybe (Walsh), a reserve striker (Armstrong) and possibly a back-up winger (Duke McKenna). Apart from that I am not sensing that any of our other U.23's are ready to claim a place in the team.

It is going to be an important summer for recruitment because I believe Warbs is now running out of players that he knows and has worked with at former clubs (e.g. Wallace, Ball, Gray etc.) and he must now unearth some diamonds.

I'm not 100% sure who was behind the recruitment of our younger unknown players coming in (e.g. Dickie, Dunne, Thomas, McCallum, Willock, Field, Sanderson etc) but they have a mixed record and it would be fantastic if we could get it right on 3 or 4 more occasions in the summer.

If we can get it right 3 or 4 times with our recruitment in the summer then I think we can make another play-off push but if we don't sign 3 or 4 more new quality players, particularly 1 or 2 strikers, then I think we will struggle.

Finally I think we should try to offload Charlie to a lower League team but I think Johansson can still be effective as a deeper lying central midfielder if he can have a good pre-season.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 9:01]
This season and next season on 16:05 - Mar 23 with 2953 viewsWegerles_Stairs

We have got to be scouting the lower leagues more. We've had success with the likes of Dunne and Willock who'd previously been at Premier League clubs but we simply must be taking a punt on some players further down the ladder like Dickie. Got to be prioritising the lack of pace in the team and getting a couple of quick wing backs in too.
This season and next season on 16:36 - Mar 23 with 2914 viewsAntti_Heinola

This season and next season on 16:05 - Mar 23 by Wegerles_Stairs

We have got to be scouting the lower leagues more. We've had success with the likes of Dunne and Willock who'd previously been at Premier League clubs but we simply must be taking a punt on some players further down the ladder like Dickie. Got to be prioritising the lack of pace in the team and getting a couple of quick wing backs in too.

how much are we scouting lower leagues currently, Wegs?

Bare bones.

This season and next season on 19:57 - Mar 23 with 2725 viewsderbyhoop

Recruitment is headed by Andy Belk.
Signings like Dykes, Dunne, Dickie, Walsh are testament to good work being done.

I think the weaknesses are readily apparent, Too little pace being the main thing.
Austin looks a shadow of last year's player and Gray is only on loan. So at least 1 more striker is required. Not convinced by either Bonne nor Kelman.
If we need to play with wing backs, I don't think we can rely on 2 x 34 year olds.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

This season and next season on 21:54 - Mar 23 with 2626 viewsWegerles_Stairs

This season and next season on 16:36 - Mar 23 by Antti_Heinola

how much are we scouting lower leagues currently, Wegs?

Well we're hardly signing many players from there, are we? I'd rather a young prospect with potential sell-on value than loaning in the likes of Hendrick.
This season and next season on 00:35 - Mar 24 with 2533 viewsSydneyRs

This season and next season on 19:57 - Mar 23 by derbyhoop

Signings like Dykes, Dunne, Dickie, Walsh are testament to good work being done.

I think the weaknesses are readily apparent, Too little pace being the main thing.
Austin looks a shadow of last year's player and Gray is only on loan. So at least 1 more striker is required. Not convinced by either Bonne nor Kelman.
If we need to play with wing backs, I don't think we can rely on 2 x 34 year olds.

I do wonder with Austin whether personal issues have been a factor this season. The club will know whether there's any chance of him being in better shape/form next season.
This season and next season on 02:00 - Mar 24 with 2500 viewsVancouverHoop

We have had a disproportionate amount of injuries throughout this season. Field, McCallum, Wallace, Johansen, Dykes, Amos, Willock and five keepers! Added to Dieng and Chair away at AFCON, this is fair bit of disruption in one season.

IIRC with the exception of Dykes, Willock and the keepers, all the other players mentioned came to us with a significant injury history. They wouldn't be here otherwise and their signing was a calculated gamble on the club's part. For most of the season it paid off. Unfortunately the part of the season where it hasn't is the one that matters most.
This season and next season on 04:28 - Mar 24 with 2458 viewsHoopsie

I think the loans in and out mid-seasons were highly calculated for a shot at promotion/play offs as by the end of 2021, our league position was fantastic. However, as it panned out, we declined and is still struggling

We need another 2 seasons of playing together and consolidation before we even think of promotion. Blood more young players. i would expect Gubbins, Masterson, Duke-McKenna, Kelman and the likes to be in and around the first team next season if not we need to move them on if they wont make the grade. players like Ramdilke, Owens, Alfa, Bettache - what happened to them. Our team at present is just not seasoned enough, only Chair, Barbet, Austin played more than 100 games for QPR. another season or two playing with a group of core players with young players from B-teams or scouted from lower league / PL cast-offs can only ensure the squad getting stronger and more stable, and hopefully with the same manager or a continuation of the management team.

This season is just not to be, we see we could play pretty football but our core group is too inexperienced (playing together) and squad is too thin and ravaged by injuries.

Core group : Dieng, Dickie, Dunne, Barbet, Odubajo, Chair, Willock, Field, Amos, Dykes, Johansen (not speculating on contracts and transfers)

Continuation of playing squad with a stable philosophy for another couple of seasons can see our club going somewhere
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 4:34]

Poll: Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

Login to get fewer ads

This season and next season on 06:19 - Mar 24 with 2415 viewsdmm

In reply to the OP, Warburton has clearly been our best manager since Warnock by almost any metric. Whether or not he can take us to the Prem is another matter but credit where credit's due surely?
This season and next season on 07:18 - Mar 24 with 2357 viewsWestonsuperR

This season and next season on 19:57 - Mar 23 by derbyhoop

Totally agree with all this, good assessment, I’ve been saying all season we lack pace which allows other teams to play high up and press.
This season and next season on 09:07 - Mar 24 with 2233 viewsBAWHoops

I think the core of the squad is very much there.

One assumes that Dieng and either Chair or Willock are off this summer and that should raise c. £10m. You'd like to think we are ready for this and have scouting targets lined up.
If you asses every position

GK - Tricky one if Dieng goes. Probably bring in an experienced keeper on loan/1 year deal and send Walsh out to develop (like we did with Dieng)

CB - Even if Barbet goes we have 3 senior pros here plus Masterson and then Gubbins

WB - Need to spend. Arguably 2-3 players needed at least. I personally wouldn't offer Wallace or Albert a new contract as I think they are only going to get worse as age catches up. Moses worth an extension

CM - Tons of options here. Stef, Amos, Field, Dozell is a great crop to chose from

AM - Assuming one of Chair and Willock goes then they will need to be replaced. Patterson and Lawrence available on a free but I'd like to see us be smarter than that and look to bring someone in and develop them, similar to what we did with Willock

ST - Dykes and Austin are ours. Money and time has gone on Dykes you assume they aren't getting rid of him (although Burnley coming down with a load of money could work in our favour). We won't shift Austin, he's on about £15k a week and is a club legend. Need to work with him and find ways to use his skillset.
Got a feeling that Kelman and Armstrong are some way off, they need a loan.
Gray would be available on a free, personally would be happy to have him back for a season.

So this summer it would seem we need to bring in a Keeper, 2 Wing Backs, Attacking Midfielder, Striker.

That's 5 players hopefully with around £10m to spend.

Considering we've uncovered gems like Dickie from the lower leagues, Willock from abroad and Dunne on a free I'd absolutely back us to do it.

We've turned the oil tanker round and are facing the right direction. Got to stay the course

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

This season and next season on 09:50 - Mar 24 with 2197 viewsdaveB

This season and next season on 21:54 - Mar 23 by Wegerles_Stairs

Well we're hardly signing many players from there, are we? I'd rather a young prospect with potential sell-on value than loaning in the likes of Hendrick.

We did sign Kellman, Walsh, Bonne and Dickie from lower leagues the other year and Dozzell last summer
This season and next season on 11:30 - Mar 24 with 2099 viewsAntti_Heinola

This season and next season on 21:54 - Mar 23 by Wegerles_Stairs

well i think we all would. But I don't think signing Hendrick on loan is a sign that we're not scouting lower leagues. I think it's important when we're criticising to be clear about what we know, as opposed to perception or what we can guess at.
If you look at signings recently, we've signed players from a range of areas: Dunne (Prem youth, significant loan experience at lower levels); Dickie (lower leagues); Dozzell (lower leagues); Bonne, Kelman (lower leagues); Johansen, Austin, De Wijs, Field (unwanted by clubs at our level); Willock (Benfica / Arsenal). It's a pretty good spread, really. Ultimately, it's irrelevant where a player comes from if the price is right and he's the right player for us.

Bare bones.

This season and next season on 12:25 - Mar 24 with 2012 viewsGaxZE

This season and next season on 09:07 - Mar 24 by BAWHoops

I think the core of the squad is very much there.

One assumes that Dieng and either Chair or Willock are off this summer and that should raise c. £10m. You'd like to think we are ready for this and have scouting targets lined up.
If you asses every position

GK - Tricky one if Dieng goes. Probably bring in an experienced keeper on loan/1 year deal and send Walsh out to develop (like we did with Dieng)

CB - Even if Barbet goes we have 3 senior pros here plus Masterson and then Gubbins

WB - Need to spend. Arguably 2-3 players needed at least. I personally wouldn't offer Wallace or Albert a new contract as I think they are only going to get worse as age catches up. Moses worth an extension

CM - Tons of options here. Stef, Amos, Field, Dozell is a great crop to chose from

AM - Assuming one of Chair and Willock goes then they will need to be replaced. Patterson and Lawrence available on a free but I'd like to see us be smarter than that and look to bring someone in and develop them, similar to what we did with Willock

ST - Dykes and Austin are ours. Money and time has gone on Dykes you assume they aren't getting rid of him (although Burnley coming down with a load of money could work in our favour). We won't shift Austin, he's on about £15k a week and is a club legend. Need to work with him and find ways to use his skillset.
Got a feeling that Kelman and Armstrong are some way off, they need a loan.
Gray would be available on a free, personally would be happy to have him back for a season.

So this summer it would seem we need to bring in a Keeper, 2 Wing Backs, Attacking Midfielder, Striker.

That's 5 players hopefully with around £10m to spend.

Considering we've uncovered gems like Dickie from the lower leagues, Willock from abroad and Dunne on a free I'd absolutely back us to do it.

We've turned the oil tanker round and are facing the right direction. Got to stay the course

Very good assessment. Agree pretty much. But us signing 5 players without the sale of a big asset isn't likely. Those big assets to cover our spend would probably be:
- Dieng
- Dickie
- Dunne
- Field
- Willock
- Chair

Dykes could go for some decent money but I don't think he is going for more than £3m. Willock being injured probably means we keep him longer than anticipated. Chair I think needs to stay until as you say we find that replacement, like we did with Willock when we knew Bright was going.

My biggest issue is to know who is likely to sign our attacking players. Sure they can go for the bigger money, but Eze we all thought could go to a top 6 side. He ended up at Palace which was good financially for us, but I can't see them coming in for another number 10 or wide player. West Ham might but we know they aren't likely to pay what is required for Chair/Willock should Bowen leave as rumoured. So for me that just leaves the teams going up or coming down. Fulham, Watford, Norwich, Maybe Sheffield Utd again (freeman), Bournemouth? Leeds?

Dieng is also in a similar boat. Unsure who will take him for the price we will want which I assume is around £7-10m? Or am I dreaming and actually its closer to £5m.

Dickie, Dunne, Field I feel won't be going anywhere and we can plan to keep them next season.

It's super rare for a championship side to sell directly to a top 6 club. So we have to guess who out of the others will pay what we want for the players we have and I don't know if there are many able to do so. Also some teams don't play a formation which would suit x player like Burnley, can't see Dyche ever buying Chair or Willock. More likely to go for Dykes as Wood was sold. But we need Dykes to play and score for us / scotland for that to happen.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 12:30]
This season and next season on 13:18 - Mar 24 with 1927 viewsAntti_Heinola

This season and next season on 12:25 - Mar 24 by GaxZE

Very good assessment. Agree pretty much. But us signing 5 players without the sale of a big asset isn't likely. Those big assets to cover our spend would probably be:
- Dieng
- Dickie
- Dunne
- Field
- Willock
- Chair

Dykes could go for some decent money but I don't think he is going for more than £3m. Willock being injured probably means we keep him longer than anticipated. Chair I think needs to stay until as you say we find that replacement, like we did with Willock when we knew Bright was going.

My biggest issue is to know who is likely to sign our attacking players. Sure they can go for the bigger money, but Eze we all thought could go to a top 6 side. He ended up at Palace which was good financially for us, but I can't see them coming in for another number 10 or wide player. West Ham might but we know they aren't likely to pay what is required for Chair/Willock should Bowen leave as rumoured. So for me that just leaves the teams going up or coming down. Fulham, Watford, Norwich, Maybe Sheffield Utd again (freeman), Bournemouth? Leeds?

Dieng is also in a similar boat. Unsure who will take him for the price we will want which I assume is around £7-10m? Or am I dreaming and actually its closer to £5m.

Dickie, Dunne, Field I feel won't be going anywhere and we can plan to keep them next season.

It's super rare for a championship side to sell directly to a top 6 club. So we have to guess who out of the others will pay what we want for the players we have and I don't know if there are many able to do so. Also some teams don't play a formation which would suit x player like Burnley, can't see Dyche ever buying Chair or Willock. More likely to go for Dykes as Wood was sold. But we need Dykes to play and score for us / scotland for that to happen.

I think we currently don't have a player who would attract a fee over £6m - and Willock is that player. I think Dieng's injury second half of the seasonmeans it's unlikely he'll go. It's unikely anyone would offer what we'd want for it to be worth selling Chair or Dickie. I'd be surprised if anyone came in for Dykes. Which leaves Willock. I think he could go, I think the club would want £8m-£10m, but I'm not sure this season we'd get that. Possibly, if he continues to play well, next Jan or summer 2023 he might push up into the £12m-£15m category.
I wonder if we might just see out of contractors go this summer, and not much in the way of sales.

Bare bones.

This season and next season on 13:32 - Mar 24 with 1912 viewsDannytheR

Much as it would be a sickener if Eze did end up at a club like Newcastle, this would be a very handy moment for us to get 20% of a silly money transfer fee.
This season and next season on 15:06 - Mar 24 with 1828 viewsBAWHoops

This season and next season on 12:25 - Mar 24 by GaxZE

- Dieng
- Dickie
- Dunne
- Field
- Willock
- Chair

I did say in there that I assume Dieng and one of Chair/Willock will go and those two sales should raise around £10m

Dieng might get a PL gig and I'd imagine that Chair/Willock will be v attractive to big spending Championship clubs looking to go up (Watford, WBA etc)

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

This season and next season on 15:50 - Mar 24 with 1778 viewsdmm

If, as likely, we stay in the Championship next season we'll certainly need to sell in order to buy. Those mentioned above do seem the ones that may attract interest. My take would be:

Dieng. Given he's now 27 he'll certainly be looking for the next move and I put him forward as most likely to go. It's always difficult to assess a keeper's value but given he's played at international level - £5m-£8m. I don't see his current injury being an obstacle. West Ham are rumoured to be looking at him, as they often seemed to be with our players.

Willock. Our most saleable asset and I'd expect the promoted teams would be particularly interested in him having played against him this season. I would hope we'd push for around £10m but guess we'd settle for less.

Chair. I'm not sure he's done quite enough this season to really grab the attention of other clubs. I could be wrong but I'm holding out hope we'll keep him for next season.

Dykes. Burnley have been said to be interested and if they drop I could see them making a move for him. If we don't have to sell him, we'll want to keep him.

Dickie. Will his less than sparkling form this season have turned potential interest off him? I think it may have. He should still be a Ranger next season.

I can't see Dunne or Field going anywhere after a relatively short time with us in the Championship, but if they both continue as they are, will do so in the future.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 15:54]
This season and next season on 17:12 - Mar 26 with 1553 viewsPinnerPaul

Don't think we've had a disproportionate amount of injuries myself.

IH always used to say you had to work on the assumption that 20% of your squad wouldn't be available every match.
This season and next season on 19:19 - Mar 26 with 1510 viewsgolborne

This season and next season on 15:06 - Mar 24 by BAWHoops

I did say in there that I assume Dieng and one of Chair/Willock will go and those two sales should raise around £10m

Dieng might get a PL gig and I'd imagine that Chair/Willock will be v attractive to big spending Championship clubs looking to go up (Watford, WBA etc)

I wouldn’t sell Willock or chair for anywhere near that money. Look at the money Brentford continually got for players who didn’t help them to a promotion (multiple £20m+). If the contracts are long enough we’d be better off holding onto them. If you’re thinking they’re worth half what malpe was 3-4 years ago you are truly a half glass person on these players and need to appreciate what you’ve been watching for much of this season. The pair of them are proper game changers and will run til they drop, especially chair who will do it in any given capacity, be it with or without the ball
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024