Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey 22:42 - Apr 6 with 7409 viewsthame_hoops

Wow. Steve Hodge about to make some serious money

http://www.espnfc.com/argentina-arg/story/4635301/diego-maradonas-hand-of-god-sh
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 07:37 - Apr 7 with 5080 viewsPaddyhoops

You've got to hand to him. Bet he didn't think a sweaty, manky old jersey would be such an investment!!
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 08:37 - Apr 7 with 5003 viewsRs_Holy

he was from that generation of footy players who just missed out on the big Premier league money. Most have 'ordinary' jobs now and I'd imagine he's the same so getting a few million for Maradonas shirt means he can retire at 59 (which most of us would love to do).
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 09:56 - Apr 7 with 4931 viewsTonto

he is one of those players you forget that he played for us. he was with us for 2 seasons but only played 15 games.

i get why he is torn selling it, but if he does get £4M, then thats too good to turn down

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 10:10 - Apr 7 with 4908 viewsTheChef

Bah - it was his useless backpass of sorts in that game that got us in trouble in the first place!

Admittedly not helped by Shilton wearing concrete boots - for a top class international keeper he had an abysmal leap and should have been put out to pasture after '86.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 10:48 - Apr 7 with 4867 viewsJuzzie

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 08:37 - Apr 7 by Rs_Holy

he was from that generation of footy players who just missed out on the big Premier league money. Most have 'ordinary' jobs now and I'd imagine he's the same so getting a few million for Maradonas shirt means he can retire at 59 (which most of us would love to do).

On a much, much, much, much smaller scale I was in a similar situation 20 years ago.
I worked for A&M Records and it got shut down in 1998 by it's parent company, PolyGram. Any staff who had been there for more than 8 years got a copy of the extremely rare "God Save the Queen" Sex Pistols 7" single that was never released.
I held onto it for a long as I could but ended up having to sell it because I was earning bugger all and had to sort out my overdraft and pay other things that needed doing.
It was a wrench and I wish I was able to have kept it but I just couldn't such was my financial situation at the time (not from overspending, just not being able to keep up).
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 11:48 - Apr 7 with 4779 viewsToast_R

Funny thing is, those shirts were bought from a back street Mexican sports shop during the tournament for probably a pittance as Argentina found their official away strip too heavy for the high Mexican temperatures.

They stitched on the makeshift Argentina crest and used NFL shirt numbers on the back (which is why they are large and silver). Who knew then that a single shirt from a joblot would later be worth 4 million?
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 11:53 - Apr 7 with 4763 viewsRs_Holy

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 11:48 - Apr 7 by Toast_R

Funny thing is, those shirts were bought from a back street Mexican sports shop during the tournament for probably a pittance as Argentina found their official away strip too heavy for the high Mexican temperatures.

They stitched on the makeshift Argentina crest and used NFL shirt numbers on the back (which is why they are large and silver). Who knew then that a single shirt from a joblot would later be worth 4 million?

I love stories like that ... brilliant!
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 11:54 - Apr 7 with 4764 viewsToast_R

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 10:10 - Apr 7 by TheChef

Bah - it was his useless backpass of sorts in that game that got us in trouble in the first place!

Admittedly not helped by Shilton wearing concrete boots - for a top class international keeper he had an abysmal leap and should have been put out to pasture after '86.

I've never really understood that argument. Goalkeepers coming for high balls don't tend to make allowances for the striker going for the same ball with their fist first. How was Shilton going to know the Linesman was a useless c*nt?
Login to get fewer ads

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 12:34 - Apr 7 with 4698 viewsTheChef

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 11:54 - Apr 7 by Toast_R

I've never really understood that argument. Goalkeepers coming for high balls don't tend to make allowances for the striker going for the same ball with their fist first. How was Shilton going to know the Linesman was a useless c*nt?

Sorry, but when the other bloke is a half a foot shorter than you, you've got to do better than that.

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:01 - Apr 7 with 4642 viewsKingstan

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 12:34 - Apr 7 by TheChef

Sorry, but when the other bloke is a half a foot shorter than you, you've got to do better than that.

This famous transparency was brought for £50 off a local photographer working for a small provincial Mexican newspaper. £50 was a small fortune to the snapper. I can only estimate how much the copyright has earned since. Out of all the snappers that were at the match (me included), only this pic shows the incident clearly. The shot wasn't even taken with a motor drive!
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:01 - Apr 7 with 4639 viewsToast_R

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 12:34 - Apr 7 by TheChef

Nonsense. The only reason Mardona scored that goal is because he went with his hand.

Blaming Shilton is like blaming Stephen Appiah for missing a sitter for Ghana against Uruguay in the World Cup.
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:30 - Apr 7 with 4551 viewsTheChef

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:01 - Apr 7 by Toast_R

Nonsense. The only reason Mardona scored that goal is because he went with his hand.

Blaming Shilton is like blaming Stephen Appiah for missing a sitter for Ghana against Uruguay in the World Cup.

Head or hand, he still managed to get airborne, unlike Shilton. And the ball was up in the air long enough to anticipate the fact that as a goalkeeper he might need to jump to get to the ball.

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:35 - Apr 7 with 4511 viewsCamberleyR

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 10:48 - Apr 7 by Juzzie

On a much, much, much, much smaller scale I was in a similar situation 20 years ago.
I worked for A&M Records and it got shut down in 1998 by it's parent company, PolyGram. Any staff who had been there for more than 8 years got a copy of the extremely rare "God Save the Queen" Sex Pistols 7" single that was never released.
I held onto it for a long as I could but ended up having to sell it because I was earning bugger all and had to sort out my overdraft and pay other things that needed doing.
It was a wrench and I wish I was able to have kept it but I just couldn't such was my financial situation at the time (not from overspending, just not being able to keep up).

10 years ago it was going for eight large...
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/nov/22/britains-rarest-record-yours-20000

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:42 - Apr 7 with 4489 viewsCLAREMAN1995

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 10:10 - Apr 7 by TheChef

Shilton gets a lot of stick I notice but is it all justified I am not educated enough to know.
Just think if VAR was around England would have won that game but probably would have at least 3 players including Fenwick sent off
Maradona got brutalized his whole career and it probably led to his addictions / health issues later on.
Over here is the US some person bought the ball thrown by Tom Brady for his last touchdown pass and paid $518,623 a few weeks ago.
The very next day Brady announced he was coming back to play at least another season
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:54 - Apr 7 with 4430 viewsTonto

Shilton doesn't deserve all the blame -but that was a pathetic jump. he has hardly left the ground. In those days most keepers went studs first as well.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:57 - Apr 7 with 4420 viewsJuzzie

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:35 - Apr 7 by CamberleyR

10 years ago it was going for eight large...
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/nov/22/britains-rarest-record-yours-20000

I think that was due to an inflated sale in Japan of £8k rather than being the actual going rate. They seemed to be averaging around £5k which is still more than what I sold mine for as the value had dropped once the record colleting fraternity realised there were now 18 extra copies in people's hands (which was probably double what was already thought to be in the market).
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 14:11 - Apr 7 with 4382 viewsToast_R

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:30 - Apr 7 by TheChef

Head or hand, he still managed to get airborne, unlike Shilton. And the ball was up in the air long enough to anticipate the fact that as a goalkeeper he might need to jump to get to the ball.

And Shilton does jump and the only reason he doesn't punch the ball clear is because Maradona commits foul play by raising his hand above his own head to punch the ball before Shilton can (within the rules of the game) get to it.

I don't get what people can't understand about that?

Hand of God - The Verdict
Maradona cheated
Referee and linesman at fault for negligence
Perter Shilton a victim - totally not at fault.

Amazing we are still debating this after 36 years though like its still raw
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 14:12]
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 14:24 - Apr 7 with 4330 viewsTheChef

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 14:11 - Apr 7 by Toast_R

And Shilton does jump and the only reason he doesn't punch the ball clear is because Maradona commits foul play by raising his hand above his own head to punch the ball before Shilton can (within the rules of the game) get to it.

I don't get what people can't understand about that?

Hand of God - The Verdict
Maradona cheated
Referee and linesman at fault for negligence
Perter Shilton a victim - totally not at fault.

Amazing we are still debating this after 36 years though like its still raw
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 14:12]

Sorry but Shilton is 6 foot tall, he has to do better than get an inch off the floor - doesn't matter if Maradona is intending to cheat or not, there's a ball in the air he needs to challenge for.

I think we will have to agree to disagree!

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 15:04 - Apr 7 with 4278 viewsThe_Beast1976

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 14:24 - Apr 7 by TheChef

Sorry but Shilton is 6 foot tall, he has to do better than get an inch off the floor - doesn't matter if Maradona is intending to cheat or not, there's a ball in the air he needs to challenge for.

I think we will have to agree to disagree!

I agree, it is an absolutely shocking piece of goalkeeping. Slow to react and barely got off the deck. Maradonna should have been in Row Z and the ball 30 years back up the pitch (had Shilton done that, Maradonna wouldn't have even got the chance to handle the ball!!)
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 15:19 - Apr 7 with 4243 viewsthemodfather

i always blame Shilton, back then goalies were protected, he should have came out and won that ball and took the dwarf out!! like the german goalie did in 82, he broke bones in the french players spine and after the game started, he took a goal kick, the ref never gave france the deserved free kick!
shilton was barely 6ft, he made up for it by being very athletic but still should have beaten diego, 5ft nothing to the ball with a decent jump and some thump!
the linesman gets little grief, he was in line, looking across and saw jack. vive le falklands, they are ours!
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 17:31 - Apr 7 with 4103 viewsthemodfather

from that 86 team we had at different times, fenwick, wilkins, reid and hodge, not sure if woods was spare goalie.
as for the shirt it is one of sports all time "greatest moments" depending on your point of view, iconic. hodge was brave slipping the shirt by butcher
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 18:21 - Apr 7 with 4032 viewsParkRoyalR

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:01 - Apr 7 by Toast_R

Shilton was quick enough to blame Parker for the deflected goal in the 1990 Semi-Final,

Parker did brilliantly to close down the shot only to look over his shoulder to see Shilton doddering backwards and yet again failing to jump more than a few inches off the ground.

Great keeper in his early career mind.
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 20:43 - Apr 7 with 3918 viewsCamberleyR

Shilton was definitely on the downslide by 1986 and it was only any lack of quality competition that he remained number one choice which was still the case by 1990 when he definitely was over the hill (although Seaman had emerged but was probably still a bit raw).

This is before we even get to his woeful penalty 'technique' which it seemed never changed.

This is from the friendly versus Argentina in 1974 just before the World Cup. Go to 5:35 in the video, as you can see, Kempes' strike is hitting the back of the net as he dives...
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 20:44]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 21:19 - Apr 7 with 3867 viewsthame_hoops

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 13:42 - Apr 7 by CLAREMAN1995

Shilton gets a lot of stick I notice but is it all justified I am not educated enough to know.
Just think if VAR was around England would have won that game but probably would have at least 3 players including Fenwick sent off
Maradona got brutalized his whole career and it probably led to his addictions / health issues later on.
Over here is the US some person bought the ball thrown by Tom Brady for his last touchdown pass and paid $518,623 a few weeks ago.
The very next day Brady announced he was coming back to play at least another season

Didn’t they win the auction literally an hour or so before TB12 ‘un-retired’? I’d have withheld funds!
“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 11:16 - Apr 8 with 3704 viewsTheChef

“Hand of God” Maradona Jersey on 20:43 - Apr 7 by CamberleyR

Shilton was definitely on the downslide by 1986 and it was only any lack of quality competition that he remained number one choice which was still the case by 1990 when he definitely was over the hill (although Seaman had emerged but was probably still a bit raw).

This is before we even get to his woeful penalty 'technique' which it seemed never changed.

This is from the friendly versus Argentina in 1974 just before the World Cup. Go to 5:35 in the video, as you can see, Kempes' strike is hitting the back of the net as he dives...
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 20:44]

To be fair to Shilton he made some very decent saves in the Cameroon game (which we really should have lost).

But yeah Robson could have been bold in 1990 and looked to the future with one of Seaman or Coton (even Beasant??). Funny how Chris Woods was the England understudy for so many years, I never thought he was that amazing.

Big shame that Nev Southall was Welsh.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024