Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW 19:27 - Apr 30 with 12177 viewsfreddieeddie

Where do I start.....

So in the 90's I went 6 years without missing a league or cup game, home and away. Most of that period I lived in Hastings so an away game up north I'd be out for about around 21 hours. I even slept at Stockport train station one night on my own waiting for a train back after a terrible 0-0 league cup game. So to say I have been a loyal fan in the past would be an understatement.

I have got to the point this season where I can't even be arsed watching us on TV. I have been to two games this season, as my son wanted to go....home to Coventry and Sheff Utd. I can only liken it to going home and realising you don't love your wife anymore. I have just lost all connection with QPR now and it feels sad when I go. Away to Bristol City was live on my TV and I watched some crap TV programme as I had no interest in watching us.

When looking at the line up last night I could have easily turned back and gone home. 1-0 up at half time and about 5% of me thought we might not lose. This is QPR after all, a soft touch when it comes to aerial bombardment. I predicted at half-time, we would concede 2-3 headed goals and lose. I was at the back row of the Ellerslie and sat down for 15 mins, couldn't see a thing. I knew what was coming when it got to 1-1. At the start of the season I had £1100 on QPR finishing in the top 12. I have never ever bet on QPR and always said I never would. I did though this season for the first time and I'm bloody annoyed I took the risk. Watching MW stand there clueless to act on what was quite obviously going to happen, was torture. It was all very predictable and sad knowing your club would just crumble.

So I've fallen out of love with my wife (QPR) but boy have I fallen in love with a right sort.

So over the last 5 years I've been going to watch Corinthian-Casuals FC. I feel like a kid again. They play in the Isthmian Premier League, so three promotions away from League two, average gates of about 300-400. I love it. So we are the top amateur club in the U.K. Playing against all semi-pro teams every week. This season I've been about 25 games and every week I walk away proud of my team. The staff and players all do it for nothing and give hidings out to players on anything from £300-£1000 a week. At the end of every game the players come down to the fans and high five each and every fan. My 12 year old son has even been in the dressing room for a pre match team talk. My son walked for 5 hours to raise some money for the club. At the finish line the directors, manager, players and fans were waiting for him to applaud his last strides. Just a fantastic class act of a club....I'm in love again. Alec Stewart and father MickyStewart (Cricket) are at most home games, Zaha and Kante have been to a game and also former QPR man Andy Gray (ex Casuals). A couple of years ago Casuals were in a pre season tournament in Budapest. To date, it is my favourite ever weekend. My son and I stayed in the same hotel as the players, my son lead the team out as mascot, we dined with the players and travelled to games on the players coach. We also won the competition.....'Champions of Europe, you know who we are'. Regardless of money and the league we play in, it's all been just a humbling, fantastic experience following Corinthian-Casuals FC.

Back to QPR. At the final whistle last night I just wanted to get away but my son wanted to applaud the players. I stood there looking around me and just felt the odd one out. Fans clapping, chanting and even bowing to players on thousands a week who just crumble. 3rd in the league at one point and just fell apart, no fight or desire at all.

I have had some wonderful times supporting QPR. I was at Anfield 3-1 win, Old Trafford 4-1 win, Elland Road to see Wegerle's goal, Hillsborough to see promotion, Watford to see us win the league and Wembley for our play off win. BUT do you know what tops all of those moments for me. It was playing in League One. I was sitting on my own, empty seats all around me. I watched Rowlands, Gallen, Bircham and Ainsworth all go flying into tackles, one after the other. My chest pumped up with pride and I thought 'I f****** love this club'. It's the simple things in life ain't it. The only thing I think now that could possibly get my juices flowing again would be for Gareth Ainsworth to be manager.

It's not just QPR that saddens me with football now. Look at Man Utd now, what a disgrace the players are there, shocking. I wouldn't want QPR getting promoted anyway, just to get hidings every week. Football has changed so much over the years and not for the better.

Well QPR and Mark Warburton, it seems to me your minds were on your holidays a long time ago. One game to go and I hold little hope not losing my £1100. Still I had the same bet on Wycombe finishing in the top 12, I knew Gareth Ainsworth wouldn't let me down. I don't think any team he was involved with would be allowed to crumble as we have.

Roll on August and the start of another humbling and exciting season following the mighty Corinthian-Casuals FC. Discovering this club is the best thing to ever happen to me other than my son being born. Vai Corinthians.
[Post edited 1 May 2022 2:15]

Poll: QPR future, what would you like to see happen

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 19:51 - Apr 30 with 8783 viewsBlackCrowe

I had £40 on a top half finish. Thought it was free money. So very QPR.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 21:03 - Apr 30 with 8560 viewstoboboly

Casuals do pay their players, they just pretend they don't

edit: also if you were that out of love withQPR then you're weird to put over a grand on us
[Post edited 30 Apr 2022 21:05]

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 21:46 - Apr 30 with 8395 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 21:03 - Apr 30 by toboboly

Casuals do pay their players, they just pretend they don't

edit: also if you were that out of love withQPR then you're weird to put over a grand on us
[Post edited 30 Apr 2022 21:05]

You ain’t got a clue have you.

They don’t pay the manager, staff or players. Just this season they started to pay expenses for travel and that’s it.

And what a stupid comment about putting money on QPR if I ha e fallen out of love with them. What are you on about? I put £2000 on Reading years ago when they won the Championship and got a profit of £7k. Why did I have to love Reading to win money?

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 21:50 - Apr 30 with 8351 viewstoboboly

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 21:46 - Apr 30 by freddieeddie

You ain’t got a clue have you.

They don’t pay the manager, staff or players. Just this season they started to pay expenses for travel and that’s it.

And what a stupid comment about putting money on QPR if I ha e fallen out of love with them. What are you on about? I put £2000 on Reading years ago when they won the Championship and got a profit of £7k. Why did I have to love Reading to win money?

I'm not over a grand worse off so reckon i have more of a clue than you. Enjoy Casuals

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 21:59 - Apr 30 with 8319 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 21:50 - Apr 30 by toboboly

I'm not over a grand worse off so reckon i have more of a clue than you. Enjoy Casuals

I’m not over a grand worse off. Read above numbnuts. I backed Wycombe for top 12 also. 🤦‍♂️

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 22:07 - Apr 30 with 8275 viewsMyke

And people complain about me...
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 22:16 - Apr 30 with 8228 viewssparkey

Dont think our players gave up personally it just fell apart and its a bit strange making that assumption if you claim to not watch us. I stayed to the end to clap them because for the first time in 10 years they have given me hope
[Post edited 30 Apr 2022 22:20]
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 23:41 - Apr 30 with 7969 viewsdistortR

I wish i had a couple of grand to spunk on gambling.

But who would know, you can lose money doing it?

When the fun stops, f'ck off
Login to get fewer ads

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 02:02 - May 1 with 7772 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I had Sutton in my ACCA. Playing well, in the play-off places and at home to Hughesless' Bradford. Of course they lost 4-1.
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 09:03 - May 1 with 7500 viewstkqpr

Puts my £5 to win £9 for QPR to finish in the top half into perspective.
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 10:30 - May 1 with 7381 viewsTGRRRSSS

My sister is moving to Worthing (bought a house) they win the league I see does that mean they play conference south next season?

Very interesting but often sad article though Freddieeddie - I remember you from a rather large success you had on a bets some years back and wondered what had become of you.

I agree a lot about football - these days at the higher levels and I think what it is to be honest I think the hope is gone, and things like guaranteeing some teams into Champs League and so on takes out the hope and without the hope you've not got the dreams and without that football starts to die.

But with endings come new beginnings.
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:32 - May 1 with 7267 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 10:30 - May 1 by TGRRRSSS

My sister is moving to Worthing (bought a house) they win the league I see does that mean they play conference south next season?

Very interesting but often sad article though Freddieeddie - I remember you from a rather large success you had on a bets some years back and wondered what had become of you.

I agree a lot about football - these days at the higher levels and I think what it is to be honest I think the hope is gone, and things like guaranteeing some teams into Champs League and so on takes out the hope and without the hope you've not got the dreams and without that football starts to die.

But with endings come new beginnings.

Hi mate,

Yes Worthing Won Casuals league so will now be in the Conference South. Casuals actually knocked Worthing out of the FA CUP.

Yes I just think football is not what it used to be, it’s all about money now. I remember as a kid and always believing QPR could achieve anything. The hope has gone massively for many people now in football. Non League now is full of old school football fans who feel the same. At Casuals there are a lot of guys that never missed a game home and away for Fulham, Chelsea, QPR but now follow Casuals home and away. Casuals are way above where they should be in terms of leagues and no doubt will slip back at some stage. I don’t care though, watching players give everything and for nothing is great to watch. Always a great atmosphere at games as Casuals fans do sing etc. I still love the Championship and lower leagues but PL now just does nothing for me. I think Man City v Man U recently there wasn’t even a recognised striker on the pitch, it’s changed for the worse in my opinion anyway.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:47 - May 1 with 7224 viewsstowmarketrange

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:32 - May 1 by freddieeddie

Hi mate,

Yes Worthing Won Casuals league so will now be in the Conference South. Casuals actually knocked Worthing out of the FA CUP.

Yes I just think football is not what it used to be, it’s all about money now. I remember as a kid and always believing QPR could achieve anything. The hope has gone massively for many people now in football. Non League now is full of old school football fans who feel the same. At Casuals there are a lot of guys that never missed a game home and away for Fulham, Chelsea, QPR but now follow Casuals home and away. Casuals are way above where they should be in terms of leagues and no doubt will slip back at some stage. I don’t care though, watching players give everything and for nothing is great to watch. Always a great atmosphere at games as Casuals fans do sing etc. I still love the Championship and lower leagues but PL now just does nothing for me. I think Man City v Man U recently there wasn’t even a recognised striker on the pitch, it’s changed for the worse in my opinion anyway.

I totally agree mate.I have been to see my local non league side(Needham Market),a few times this season and last,and you do feel more welcome and appreciated than at any top sides.
I will wait to see who we appoint and what the prices will be before I decide whether to renew or not.But 52 years of watching our team is a hard habit to break.
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 14:18 - May 1 with 7129 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:47 - May 1 by stowmarketrange

I totally agree mate.I have been to see my local non league side(Needham Market),a few times this season and last,and you do feel more welcome and appreciated than at any top sides.
I will wait to see who we appoint and what the prices will be before I decide whether to renew or not.But 52 years of watching our team is a hard habit to break.

Go with how you feel mate.

I can’t wait to get to Casuals games, home and away. It’s like a family there. Stand and chat with the players parents, chat to the subs warming up, you feel a real part of if all. The players are very accessible for my son, to him they are heroes.

I quite enjoyed watching the warm up of the QPR game and the atmosphere was pretty good. I have found this side very boring to watch even when we were 3rd I had very little interest. I’d love to See Ainsworth as manager, we shall see.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 14:36 - May 1 with 7085 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It feels like you're breaking up with us, but that you're going to hang around and give out to us anyway.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 14:48 - May 1 with 7043 viewsMatch82

Freddie, the football hasn't been good to watch over the last few months and I'm sorry you feel like that's the last straw. I'm curious what made this the breaking point for you though, up till say February for me the football we've been playing is better than it has been for a decade plus. What is it do you think about the last two months which pushed you over the edge vs some of the swill we were served up under JFH McClaren etc?
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 16:58 - May 1 with 6856 viewsSnipper

I know exactly where you’re coming from mate.

I’ve been slowly falling out of love with football for a few years. In the last five or six seasons, I probably haven’t even mustered a whole season of home games combined.
I haven’t been since Cardiff at home. That really done it for me. Poncing around with the ball at 1-0 thinking they were 3-0 up, then get suckered. I said to my mate that his son can have my season ticket for the rest of the season, except the last home game. Then Sky moved it to bloody Friday night, so I didn’t go.

I’m not renewing next season, but I will go to a few games. I’ll pick and choose Saturday 3pm games.

Back in the 70s, the only live football was the FA Cup final and the European Cup and the odd international game.
In the 80s, we started having one league match most weeks as well. You watched all the matches as they were rare.

If somebody had told me then that I’d be saying there’s too much football on the tv, I’d never have believed them.
I barely watch live games, especially the Premier League. I still watch the Euro’s and World Cup though.
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:27 - May 2 with 6529 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 14:48 - May 1 by Match82

Freddie, the football hasn't been good to watch over the last few months and I'm sorry you feel like that's the last straw. I'm curious what made this the breaking point for you though, up till say February for me the football we've been playing is better than it has been for a decade plus. What is it do you think about the last two months which pushed you over the edge vs some of the swill we were served up under JFH McClaren etc?

I can't even put my finger on it myself. I think maybe it's more just football in general in the higher leagues. I used to love the premiership when Man U had Giggs, Kanchelskis, Hughes, Cantona. Newcastle Beardsley and Shearer etc. Now it's so dull, the commentary when you put the to on is so boring as the games are. The money involved and just so difficult for smaller teams. When QPR were on live years ago I'd be so excited. I use annual leave to watch games etc. Now I don't even put QPR on. You guys will know more than me but I can't understand how Andre Gray never plays. Any bits I have seen I thought we look a threat with genuine pace.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:30 - May 2 with 6511 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 16:58 - May 1 by Snipper

I know exactly where you’re coming from mate.

I’ve been slowly falling out of love with football for a few years. In the last five or six seasons, I probably haven’t even mustered a whole season of home games combined.
I haven’t been since Cardiff at home. That really done it for me. Poncing around with the ball at 1-0 thinking they were 3-0 up, then get suckered. I said to my mate that his son can have my season ticket for the rest of the season, except the last home game. Then Sky moved it to bloody Friday night, so I didn’t go.

I’m not renewing next season, but I will go to a few games. I’ll pick and choose Saturday 3pm games.

Back in the 70s, the only live football was the FA Cup final and the European Cup and the odd international game.
In the 80s, we started having one league match most weeks as well. You watched all the matches as they were rare.

If somebody had told me then that I’d be saying there’s too much football on the tv, I’d never have believed them.
I barely watch live games, especially the Premier League. I still watch the Euro’s and World Cup though.

Yes mate I'm pretty much the same. I watch bits of PL games as I do a dream team etc for money. If I didn't do that I wouldn't even watch PL. I love football though, it's my life really. Next season I'll likely go about 30 Casuals games and all my sons matches, grass roots football is just so much better.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:43 - May 2 with 6455 viewsstowmarketrange

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:27 - May 2 by freddieeddie

I can't even put my finger on it myself. I think maybe it's more just football in general in the higher leagues. I used to love the premiership when Man U had Giggs, Kanchelskis, Hughes, Cantona. Newcastle Beardsley and Shearer etc. Now it's so dull, the commentary when you put the to on is so boring as the games are. The money involved and just so difficult for smaller teams. When QPR were on live years ago I'd be so excited. I use annual leave to watch games etc. Now I don't even put QPR on. You guys will know more than me but I can't understand how Andre Gray never plays. Any bits I have seen I thought we look a threat with genuine pace.

The only things that Gray lacks are pace and desire.If the ball wasn’t right he’d throw his arms in the air and complain about it rather than chase it.That wasn’t all the time,but an awful lot of times.I won’t complain about the vital goals he scored though,but it probably should’ve been more.
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:46 - May 2 with 6456 viewshubble

Just to add my two penn'orth's worth: it's the vulgarity of commercialism that has all but killed the game for me, particularly in the top flight. Flashing adverts around football pitches? It's obscene. Why do fans put up with it?

Call me a Luddite, but I remember thinking it was the beginning of the end when they started having advertising on shirts. Now I can barely watch a game because I feel I'm being bombarded with sh*t I really don't want to see. I just want to watch a game being played on the pitch. I don't want political gestures, commentators telling me what cause I should be backing, I just want to enjoy the football. So I completely understand the sentiment of the OP. A friend moved to Bristol recently and I suggested we start following the Rovers - a return to the kind of football I love. Sadly - bizarrely, and basically a deal-breaker on our friendship, the twit started following City. Oh well. I like the idea of going to watch non-league and/or lower league, just to get the love back.
£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 13:18 - May 2 with 6379 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 12:46 - May 2 by hubble

Just to add my two penn'orth's worth: it's the vulgarity of commercialism that has all but killed the game for me, particularly in the top flight. Flashing adverts around football pitches? It's obscene. Why do fans put up with it?

Call me a Luddite, but I remember thinking it was the beginning of the end when they started having advertising on shirts. Now I can barely watch a game because I feel I'm being bombarded with sh*t I really don't want to see. I just want to watch a game being played on the pitch. I don't want political gestures, commentators telling me what cause I should be backing, I just want to enjoy the football. So I completely understand the sentiment of the OP. A friend moved to Bristol recently and I suggested we start following the Rovers - a return to the kind of football I love. Sadly - bizarrely, and basically a deal-breaker on our friendship, the twit started following City. Oh well. I like the idea of going to watch non-league and/or lower league, just to get the love back.

Why we are all having a little moan 😄........

I’m sick of being bombarded with women’s football. Latest scores flashing up constantly. Going live to games to hear Chelsea are 14-0 up. It’s like women’s football is being forced on us all. I have e nothing against the women’s game, I think it’s fantastic. Why don’t they ha e their own channel on tv though with latest scores. That way, those that have an interest can tune in and watch it by choice.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 13:22 - May 2 with 6374 viewsBlackCrowe

Because it's one of the few sports that BBC have these days so they plug it to death.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 17:00 - May 2 with 6186 viewsfreddieeddie

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 13:22 - May 2 by BlackCrowe

Because it's one of the few sports that BBC have these days so they plug it to death.

Yeah but I’m talking about all the scores etc being on SKy Sports news constantly.

£1100 on QPR to finish in top 12 this season, thanks MW on 17:24 - May 2 with 6120 viewsthame_hoops

Going off topic, I’m enjoying the cricket for some of the reasons you’ve mentioned. I went down to Glamorgan to watch Middlesex and was sat chatting to Afridi and Labuchagne (worlds ranked No 1 batsman and bowler)
Also at lords after games, the players have beers in the lords tavern and chat. Internationals like Handscomb, And the Ex internationals Roland Jones, Stoneman, Sam Robson. All happy to chat and mix, completely differently from professional football.

Exactly the same in the lords pavilion .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024