Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager: odds 13:14 - May 3 with 177966 viewsTonto

Manning favourite. Eustace second favourite. Our old friend Timmy turns up again.

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/queens-park-rangers

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

New Manager: odds on 09:08 - May 22 with 5506 viewsPunteR

New Manager: odds on 00:48 - May 22 by Lblock

I wouldn’t put anything past them whatsoever!!!

Hey, I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

New Manager: odds on 09:28 - May 22 with 5361 viewsPunteR

If they go for Ainsworth then I think the motive will be more like the last Holloway appointment . QPR legend, Popular choice for the fans, gives the owners a bit of slack.
It might work out.
I wouldn't have a massive problem with Ainsworth at all and would be happy to see him back at the club.

New Manager: odds on 09:29 - May 22 with 5360 viewsTonto

New Manager: odds on 08:52 - May 22 by dmm

Answerphone

Bloody autocorrect

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

New Manager: odds on 11:03 - May 22 with 5048 viewsDannyPaddox

… is otherwise engaged.
New Manager: odds on 11:05 - May 22 with 5034 viewsdaveB

New Manager: odds on 23:26 - May 21 by davman

Yep, but if our plan is to carry on with Warbsball with a squad that knows Warbsball, which of them is more like Warbsball?

True and would have concerns about style of play but if he hadn't played for us before I think we'd all be calling for him to come in, done an incredible job ay Wycombe with a very limited squad
New Manager: odds on 11:16 - May 22 with 5001 viewsdavman

New Manager: odds on 11:05 - May 22 by daveB

True and would have concerns about style of play but if he hadn't played for us before I think we'd all be calling for him to come in, done an incredible job ay Wycombe with a very limited squad

For exactly the same reason (wanting to maintain a club style rather than switching constantly with different managers), I am not sure I'd want him either with or without the club connection.

For his style, he has Vokes and Akinfenwe up top; we have Dykes - no comparison. Difficult to see what role Chair and Willock, our two best players would have in such a style, nor Field.

Teams playing that way just don't succeed in the Championship any more (maybe Sheff U aside). So, a no from me.

... and that is NOT football snobbery; if he gets the players in and we start winning, I'd be swayed, but just can't see it working...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

New Manager: odds on 11:33 - May 22 with 4930 viewsR_from_afar

New Manager: odds on 09:28 - May 22 by PunteR

If they go for Ainsworth then I think the motive will be more like the last Holloway appointment . QPR legend, Popular choice for the fans, gives the owners a bit of slack.
It might work out.
I wouldn't have a massive problem with Ainsworth at all and would be happy to see him back at the club.

We do sometimes appear to be in a sort of endless two phase cycle: Progressive coach, then someone who understands the club. We just exited the progressive coach phase, so....

I think the biggest challenge for the club as a whole is deciding just what the manager's remit is. I'm not sure
- Promotion very soon
- Attractive football
- The development, regular selection, and selling on of home-grown players
- Complying with FFP (or whatever it is now called) rules

can all be delivered simultaneously, by anyone. It's the tallest of tall orders.

I recognise, and am very grateful, for the way our owners continue to pump over a million quid into into our club every single month, often in the face of unfair and stinging criticism, but it does feel to me as if there are times when the stated remit suddenly changes.

It's their money and no one has infinite funds - or patience - but I do feel that if the remit really is all the things on the list above, the search for the right man (or woman) could be a very long, very frustrating and potentially endless quest. We really have to settle for a subset of those objectives.

Finally - thank you for bearing with me if you have - I do believe we are destined to have Ainsworth as our manager at some point. I really don't mind his style of play, at least it is whole hearted, passionate and exciting, without long spells of passing to no effect, and he seems to create an incredible team spirit which inspires the players to put in maximum effort. As a legend, he might be given more time by board and fans alike, time which might prove beneficial. Of course, there's the worrying prospect of another stalwart's legacy being torched, and it does sound like he wants to stay at WWFC anyway.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New Manager: odds on 11:36 - May 22 with 4900 viewsR_from_afar

New Manager: odds on 11:16 - May 22 by davman

For exactly the same reason (wanting to maintain a club style rather than switching constantly with different managers), I am not sure I'd want him either with or without the club connection.

For his style, he has Vokes and Akinfenwe up top; we have Dykes - no comparison. Difficult to see what role Chair and Willock, our two best players would have in such a style, nor Field.

Teams playing that way just don't succeed in the Championship any more (maybe Sheff U aside). So, a no from me.

... and that is NOT football snobbery; if he gets the players in and we start winning, I'd be swayed, but just can't see it working...

...although for a while, he had Akinfenwa and Kashket up front, the latter being a fairly short, young and pacey striker.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

New Manager: odds (n/t) on 14:04 - May 22 with 4556 viewsSonofpugwash

[Post edited 22 May 2022 14:11]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

New Manager: odds on 14:07 - May 22 with 4538 viewsNorthernr

New Manager: odds (n/t) on 14:04 - May 22 by Sonofpugwash

[Post edited 22 May 2022 14:11]

Alright Doug...

New Manager: odds on 14:10 - May 22 with 4507 viewsSonofpugwash

New Manager: odds on 14:07 - May 22 by Northernr

Alright Doug...

Rumbled on that one!

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

New Manager: odds on 14:51 - May 22 with 4378 viewsPunteR

New Manager: odds on 11:33 - May 22 by R_from_afar

We do sometimes appear to be in a sort of endless two phase cycle: Progressive coach, then someone who understands the club. We just exited the progressive coach phase, so....

I think the biggest challenge for the club as a whole is deciding just what the manager's remit is. I'm not sure
- Promotion very soon
- Attractive football
- The development, regular selection, and selling on of home-grown players
- Complying with FFP (or whatever it is now called) rules

can all be delivered simultaneously, by anyone. It's the tallest of tall orders.

I recognise, and am very grateful, for the way our owners continue to pump over a million quid into into our club every single month, often in the face of unfair and stinging criticism, but it does feel to me as if there are times when the stated remit suddenly changes.

It's their money and no one has infinite funds - or patience - but I do feel that if the remit really is all the things on the list above, the search for the right man (or woman) could be a very long, very frustrating and potentially endless quest. We really have to settle for a subset of those objectives.

Finally - thank you for bearing with me if you have - I do believe we are destined to have Ainsworth as our manager at some point. I really don't mind his style of play, at least it is whole hearted, passionate and exciting, without long spells of passing to no effect, and he seems to create an incredible team spirit which inspires the players to put in maximum effort. As a legend, he might be given more time by board and fans alike, time which might prove beneficial. Of course, there's the worrying prospect of another stalwart's legacy being torched, and it does sound like he wants to stay at WWFC anyway.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for our owners. They've brought the whole thing on themselves. These are multi billionaire businessmen.
I get it that they prop our club up and without them we would be in trouble but lets not stress ourselves into thinking QPR would disappear without them.
Us fans will still be here long after the Malaysians, Mittal's etc. are long gone. Look at Luton for example. Most clubs tend to just keep going despite poor owners.
They've made some absolute tin pot decisions over the last decade and i dont have a lot of confidence they are going to take this club forward. I think who they appoint next and how we do next season is a pivotal time for the club.
Ive said it before but i think Ferdinand and possibly Ramsey have made a rod for their own back. To push for the youth development as the clubs main focus and key to sustainability they really need to back it up.
We'll see .

New Manager: odds on 14:52 - May 22 with 4385 viewsQPsyR

New Manager: odds on 14:51 - May 22 by PunteR

I don't have a lot of sympathy for our owners. They've brought the whole thing on themselves. These are multi billionaire businessmen.
I get it that they prop our club up and without them we would be in trouble but lets not stress ourselves into thinking QPR would disappear without them.
Us fans will still be here long after the Malaysians, Mittal's etc. are long gone. Look at Luton for example. Most clubs tend to just keep going despite poor owners.
They've made some absolute tin pot decisions over the last decade and i dont have a lot of confidence they are going to take this club forward. I think who they appoint next and how we do next season is a pivotal time for the club.
Ive said it before but i think Ferdinand and possibly Ramsey have made a rod for their own back. To push for the youth development as the clubs main focus and key to sustainability they really need to back it up.
We'll see .

absolutely spot on

FKA AcidPixie

New Manager: odds on 15:01 - May 22 with 4339 viewsDannytheR

I'm sure the club will get their choice of League One manager, because anyone with the kind of personal ambition it takes to become a football manager in the first place will always want to try to prove themselves at a higher level. But as it stands the QPR job looks an absolute poisoned chalice.

This coming season looks like a particular hiding to nothing. (Don't say it lightly but at this stage I'd back us to go down.) But the club has been a manager's graveyard for decades now. The issue goes back further than Fernandes but even his era, look at what's happened.

We've had eight permanent managers since Briatore sold up. Two left with their reputations intact (Warnock and Warburton). One ended up returning to the third divison where we found him (Hasselbaink). Another is now managing three divisions below where we were when he came in (Hughes). And four of them look highly unlikely to ever manage again.

A 50% fatality rate for careers, and Hughes and Hasselbaink among the survivors? Frankly if I was a hungry, ambitious young manager, I'd keep it in my pants and wait for the next club.
[Post edited 22 May 2022 15:04]
New Manager: odds on 15:08 - May 22 with 4299 viewsdistortR

New Manager: odds on 15:01 - May 22 by DannytheR

I'm sure the club will get their choice of League One manager, because anyone with the kind of personal ambition it takes to become a football manager in the first place will always want to try to prove themselves at a higher level. But as it stands the QPR job looks an absolute poisoned chalice.

This coming season looks like a particular hiding to nothing. (Don't say it lightly but at this stage I'd back us to go down.) But the club has been a manager's graveyard for decades now. The issue goes back further than Fernandes but even his era, look at what's happened.

We've had eight permanent managers since Briatore sold up. Two left with their reputations intact (Warnock and Warburton). One ended up returning to the third divison where we found him (Hasselbaink). Another is now managing three divisions below where we were when he came in (Hughes). And four of them look highly unlikely to ever manage again.

A 50% fatality rate for careers, and Hughes and Hasselbaink among the survivors? Frankly if I was a hungry, ambitious young manager, I'd keep it in my pants and wait for the next club.

It's Sol then!
I honestly don't know how we round the circle of fan's aspirations stoked by our previous achievements, the owner's ambitions, ffp, modern football, wages and the hoardng by the elite of young talent, our facilities and support base.
Like you, I'm worried for next season.

edit - square the circle
[Post edited 23 May 2022 7:05]
New Manager: odds on 16:01 - May 22 with 4086 viewskropotkin41

It seems to me that we can't really be sure how Ainsworth would coach or manage at QPR from what he's done at Wycombe. He could be adaptable and play to strengths... or away from weaknesses. A lot of people were surprised at Warnock's QPR, but NW adapted and used what he had.... Adel for one things. It's not as if good managers can't be flexible. Maybe Ainsworth is a good manager, not just this type or that type.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

New Manager: odds on 17:01 - May 22 with 3881 viewsDannytheR

New Manager: odds on 15:08 - May 22 by distortR

It's Sol then!
I honestly don't know how we round the circle of fan's aspirations stoked by our previous achievements, the owner's ambitions, ffp, modern football, wages and the hoardng by the elite of young talent, our facilities and support base.
Like you, I'm worried for next season.

edit - square the circle
[Post edited 23 May 2022 7:05]

Yeah, short-term this coming season's got a nasty hint of 2000/2001 about it already, hasn't it?

And you're a braver man than me to think about the long-term!
New Manager: odds on 18:22 - May 22 with 3626 viewsdistortR

New Manager: odds on 17:01 - May 22 by DannytheR

Yeah, short-term this coming season's got a nasty hint of 2000/2001 about it already, hasn't it?

And you're a braver man than me to think about the long-term!

I was also thinking of the aftermath of this season, really, and how over-spending - relatively - when we thought we had a chance of promotion, and of Warburton being pragmatic in team selection, has cost him his job and, assumptions all over here, is going to leave the new incumbent reliant on possibly not quite up to it youth and with a small budget. And the ramifications that will have for him in terms of job security and his relationship with us.

or, succinctly, yeah, we're f'cked!
New Manager: odds on 18:49 - May 22 with 3479 viewsdmm

New Manager: odds on 16:01 - May 22 by kropotkin41

It seems to me that we can't really be sure how Ainsworth would coach or manage at QPR from what he's done at Wycombe. He could be adaptable and play to strengths... or away from weaknesses. A lot of people were surprised at Warnock's QPR, but NW adapted and used what he had.... Adel for one things. It's not as if good managers can't be flexible. Maybe Ainsworth is a good manager, not just this type or that type.

I feel similarly as, with the exception of a few games when caretaker at QPR, he's only managed at Wycombe who are a very different club to QPR. The experience he's gained at Wycombe doesn't feel quite right for us.

It'll still be a gamble if the next manager/head coach is Liam Manning, Karl Robinson or Jon Dahl Tomasson but I feel somewhat less so.
New Manager: odds on 00:59 - May 23 with 2797 viewsDavieQPR

Any Management team that gives Shopido a new contract has me very, very worried.
New Manager: odds on 07:28 - May 23 with 2564 viewsdavman

New Manager: odds on 00:59 - May 23 by DavieQPR

Any Management team that gives Shopido a new contract has me very, very worried.

Maybe they have a sale lined up and will only get money if he is under contract?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

New Manager: odds on 08:17 - May 23 with 2434 viewsTheChef

I don't think it's such a poisoned chalice - it does depend somewhat on who we sell over the summer but with Dieng, Dickie/Dunne, Field, Willock/Chair and Dykes you have a pretty decent spine for your team. I wouldn't mind managing that.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

New Manager: odds on 08:36 - May 23 with 2344 viewsbosh67

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10843031/QPR-left-furious-pla Daily Fail today.

Managed games 53 / wins 12 / draws 17 / losses 24 / win rate % 22.6

I can' see why he isn't a show in? Sol was a great player but players haven't warmed to him as a manager. Very strict, if you are late on his watch you are fined and dropped.... And then he's continually late himself. Sets an example. Perhaps the owners plans is to sell 7 season tickets, jack it in and sell Loftus Road to Tesco?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

New Manager: odds on 08:54 - May 23 with 2260 viewsnix

If you look at the people who've managed us at that time, though, it's more we've made terrible choices than that QPR has wrecked people's careers. Redknapp was already a serial failure and had shown he bankrupts clubs. Hughes had a mixed record but it was more that he went on to fail at Stoke and then Southampton as well that made him untouchable. McClaren was a daft appointment, and he was already on a downward trend when we picked him. Olly hadn't managed for a while and was likely to have stayed in TV if we hadn't come calling. Warnock went on to get a number of jobs after us. I'm sure Warburton will too. The only one who really wrecked his career was Hassalbaink but then he's a terrible manager, so would probably have been found out wherever he'd gone.

We gave Warburton three years, which is pretty decent these days in football. If we can get a decent young manager who will build onto what we've got so far, I'd hope he'd get a similar amount of time.
New Manager: odds on 09:22 - May 23 with 2095 viewsDannytheR

New Manager: odds on 08:54 - May 23 by nix

If you look at the people who've managed us at that time, though, it's more we've made terrible choices than that QPR has wrecked people's careers. Redknapp was already a serial failure and had shown he bankrupts clubs. Hughes had a mixed record but it was more that he went on to fail at Stoke and then Southampton as well that made him untouchable. McClaren was a daft appointment, and he was already on a downward trend when we picked him. Olly hadn't managed for a while and was likely to have stayed in TV if we hadn't come calling. Warnock went on to get a number of jobs after us. I'm sure Warburton will too. The only one who really wrecked his career was Hassalbaink but then he's a terrible manager, so would probably have been found out wherever he'd gone.

We gave Warburton three years, which is pretty decent these days in football. If we can get a decent young manager who will build onto what we've got so far, I'd hope he'd get a similar amount of time.

All true, but I still think that's how the club will be perceived within football — as a bit of a basket case even now and a big risk for a career.

Clubs can build a reputation among players as the kind of place where they can do well, get noticed and move on in their careers - that's how we're meant to be selling ourselves to talented young players at the moment. The same is surely true for managers. I hate endlessly harking back to the past, it's all we ever seem to do at QPR BUT a manager looking at Rangers in the 80s would have seen a club from where Venables would go to Barcelona. In the 90s, Gerry went to Tottenham. But now? Who was the last manager who actually got a better job after coming here?

I'm not one of those people who takes a perverse joy in pointing out how broken everything is at the club, but we seem to have spent several years now not being able to tempt Gary Rowett to take the job. Speaks volumes, I think.
[Post edited 23 May 2022 9:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024