Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager: odds 13:14 - May 3 with 177501 viewsTonto

Manning favourite. Eustace second favourite. Our old friend Timmy turns up again.

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/queens-park-rangers

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

New Manager: odds on 09:49 - May 23 with 4231 viewsNortholt_Rs

New Manager: odds on 08:54 - May 23 by nix

If you look at the people who've managed us at that time, though, it's more we've made terrible choices than that QPR has wrecked people's careers. Redknapp was already a serial failure and had shown he bankrupts clubs. Hughes had a mixed record but it was more that he went on to fail at Stoke and then Southampton as well that made him untouchable. McClaren was a daft appointment, and he was already on a downward trend when we picked him. Olly hadn't managed for a while and was likely to have stayed in TV if we hadn't come calling. Warnock went on to get a number of jobs after us. I'm sure Warburton will too. The only one who really wrecked his career was Hassalbaink but then he's a terrible manager, so would probably have been found out wherever he'd gone.

We gave Warburton three years, which is pretty decent these days in football. If we can get a decent young manager who will build onto what we've got so far, I'd hope he'd get a similar amount of time.

Great post and 100% spot on.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

New Manager: odds on 10:35 - May 23 with 3988 viewsAntti_Heinola

New Manager: odds on 09:22 - May 23 by DannytheR

All true, but I still think that's how the club will be perceived within football — as a bit of a basket case even now and a big risk for a career.

Clubs can build a reputation among players as the kind of place where they can do well, get noticed and move on in their careers - that's how we're meant to be selling ourselves to talented young players at the moment. The same is surely true for managers. I hate endlessly harking back to the past, it's all we ever seem to do at QPR BUT a manager looking at Rangers in the 80s would have seen a club from where Venables would go to Barcelona. In the 90s, Gerry went to Tottenham. But now? Who was the last manager who actually got a better job after coming here?

I'm not one of those people who takes a perverse joy in pointing out how broken everything is at the club, but we seem to have spent several years now not being able to tempt Gary Rowett to take the job. Speaks volumes, I think.
[Post edited 23 May 2022 9:23]

tbf, all the times we've gone for him he's been settled somewhere. bet he wishes he took it while he was at Brum.

Bare bones.

New Manager: odds on 11:11 - May 23 with 3848 viewsdmm

All true, but I still think that's how the club will be perceived within football — as a bit of a basket case even now and a big risk for a career.

Clubs can build a reputation among players as the kind of place where they can do well, get noticed and move on in their careers - that's how we're meant to be selling ourselves to talented young players at the moment. The same is surely true for managers. I hate endlessly harking back to the past, it's all we ever seem to do at QPR BUT a manager looking at Rangers in the 80s would have seen a club from where Venables would go to Barcelona. In the 90s, Gerry went to Tottenham. But now? Who was the last manager who actually got a better job after coming here?

I'm not one of those people who takes a perverse joy in pointing out how broken everything is at the club, but we seem to have spent several years now not being able to tempt Gary Rowett to take the job. Speaks volumes, I think.

The last manager to go onto a better job? Paulo Sousa, Luigi De Canio and Ian Holloway all had 'better' positions after leaving QPR, albeit a good few years ago. However, you make a fair enough point.
New Manager: odds on 11:23 - May 23 with 3781 viewstoboboly

It's now been 16 days since we played Swansea, and they knew about not retaining Warburton before that. Pre-season will start in 5 weeks, the league starts in 9 weeks.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

New Manager: odds on 11:34 - May 23 with 3717 viewsdaveB

New Manager: odds on 11:23 - May 23 by toboboly

It's now been 16 days since we played Swansea, and they knew about not retaining Warburton before that. Pre-season will start in 5 weeks, the league starts in 9 weeks.

They'll appoint someone this week
New Manager: odds on 11:40 - May 23 with 3665 viewsHoopsie

This from the mk dons fan forum the concrete Roundabout tar:

I guess a lot depends on their budget, transfer policy, short term priority for points v style, etc.
Some of the most successful championship managers - Warnock, Pulis, etc - bring in the same types of mostly physical players each time and play a pragmatic, long ball style that's ugly but effective (at that level).
As we saw with our season in the championship, it's not easy to build a team playing possession football at that level on a small budget. It's easier, if doing it on the cheap, to bring in a squad to play a pragmatic style full of tall, rough players (as Ainsworth excels at) than it is finding affordable technically gifted players good enough for the championship level.
If they've not got decent funds, and don't have a transfer team that targets players in the way we, Brentford, etc, do, then they might prefer an Ainsworth type to bring in his type of players and make them tough to play against. If they've gone down the route of getting a recruitment team to research players well and target technical ones, etc, with a view to playing that style of football, then, yeah, someone like Manning would be a perfect fit and they'd be mad to choose someone like Ainsworth.
……
Just seems to me we don’t have a plan after Warburton, but between manning, Ainsworth and sol Campbell, seems like betting companies don’t either. If it is about continuation after Warburton and the academy, who is the best fit?

Poll: Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

New Manager: odds on 11:43 - May 23 with 3648 viewsBklynRanger

Slightly (for a Monday anyway) interesting that Ainsworth is showing as clear odds-on favourite with Manning the closest behind at 4/1 or 5/1.

I'd guess that's more to do with not a huge volume of bets going on around this rather than anything more substantial.

I just wouldn't see Wild Thing working out myself but who knows? A really tricky decision - though in the end finances will probably help whittle down the options.
New Manager: odds on 11:44 - May 23 with 3644 viewsNorthernr

If we want Ainsworth or Manning I'm not convinced there's a lot of joined up thinking there. Like being torn between a tonic water and a pint of Guinness.
Login to get fewer ads

New Manager: odds on 11:59 - May 23 with 3534 viewskensalriser

New Manager: odds on 11:44 - May 23 by Northernr

If we want Ainsworth or Manning I'm not convinced there's a lot of joined up thinking there. Like being torn between a tonic water and a pint of Guinness.

But of course, the betting odds may not accurately reflect what is actually going on.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

New Manager: odds on 12:00 - May 23 with 3529 viewsNorthernr

New Manager: odds on 11:59 - May 23 by kensalriser

But of course, the betting odds may not accurately reflect what is actually going on.

Dave Mc did a piece last week saying those two were frontrunners.
New Manager: odds on 12:02 - May 23 with 3501 viewstoboboly

Given the choice, one would always go Guinness

New Manager: odds on 12:06 - May 23 with 3478 viewsbosh67

Does anyone know what the situation is with Eustace?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

New Manager: odds on 12:17 - May 23 with 3371 viewsLoftgirl

New Manager: odds on 11:23 - May 23 by toboboly

New Manager: odds on 12:28 - May 23 with 3291 viewsnix

Yes, we probably have got a bit of a basket case reputation, what with the FFP fiasco, Pallidini and the Four Year Plan etc. We're only going to get someone who sees US as a step up.

In fairness, though, how many British managers get those plum jobs these days? It's not just the QPR effect. It's also the issue of British managers not really being thought of as cutting edge, in terms of coaching and managing style. Only seven British managers in the Premier League atm, two of them, Lampard and Gerrard, big names because of their playing career. Potter got the Brighton job when they had struggled in the Prem. Eddie Howe got the chance after actually winning promotion to the Premier with Bournemouth. Similarly, Brendan Rodgers at Swansea.

The main thing that worries me is that the expectations of the Board might put people off. It's one thing managing Forest and getting paid a big wedge and having an embarrassment of riches at your disposal and being expected to at least make the play offs. Bit less realistic with QPR.
New Manager: odds on 12:28 - May 23 with 3282 viewsstantheman10

Ainsworth now evens and Jon Dahl Tomasson 5/2
New Manager: odds on 13:26 - May 23 with 3016 viewsBAWHoops

It just sort of seems that Ainsworth is an itch we've got to scratch for both supporters and the board

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

New Manager: odds on 13:53 - May 23 with 2880 viewsCLAREMAN1995

New Manager: odds on 09:49 - May 23 by Northolt_Rs

Great post and 100% spot on.

Steve McClaren landed with Man Utd he has arrived back in the big time again
New Manager: odds on 14:16 - May 23 with 2764 viewsNortholt_Rs

New Manager: odds on 13:53 - May 23 by CLAREMAN1995

Steve McClaren landed with Man Utd he has arrived back in the big time again

Yeah he’s back putting the cones out for training. He’s a proper sh1t manager though….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

New Manager: odds on 14:51 - May 23 with 2615 viewshertshoops

New Manager: odds on 12:28 - May 23 by stantheman10

Ainsworth now evens and Jon Dahl Tomasson 5/2

Tomasson seems to have come from nowhere recently since not getting the Hibs job

I only vaguely remember his name playing for the Geordies in the 90's, but he's won the last 2 Swedish championships with Malmo

I have no idea how the level of football in the Swedish championship ranks with our Championship ? Nor if he's any good at developing our u-23s into the 1st team ? Or if he can operate on no budget

He might be able to teach Dykes what to do with the ball though
New Manager: odds on 15:07 - May 23 with 2518 viewsaston_hoop

New Manager: odds on 14:51 - May 23 by hertshoops

Tomasson seems to have come from nowhere recently since not getting the Hibs job

I only vaguely remember his name playing for the Geordies in the 90's, but he's won the last 2 Swedish championships with Malmo

I have no idea how the level of football in the Swedish championship ranks with our Championship ? Nor if he's any good at developing our u-23s into the 1st team ? Or if he can operate on no budget

Long listen 2 part interview with Tomasson from last week here. Going to give it a listen on the off-chance he really is linked with our job

https://podcasts.apple.com/es/podcast/jon-dahl-tomasson-how-ancelotti-managed-mi

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

New Manager: odds on 15:15 - May 23 with 2466 viewstoboboly

New Manager: odds on 14:51 - May 23 by hertshoops

I think the two of us would have a shot at winning the title with Malmo.

New Manager: odds on 15:19 - May 23 with 2442 viewshubble

No idea if bona fide source...

New Manager: odds on 15:22 - May 23 with 2424 viewsaston_hoop

New Manager: odds on 15:19 - May 23 by hubble

No idea if bona fide source...

Its being reported by the same Talksport journo who brought us 'Sol Campbell is leading candidate' or whatever it was

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

New Manager: odds on 15:24 - May 23 with 2401 viewsQPR_John

New Manager: odds on 08:36 - May 23 by bosh67

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10843031/QPR-left-furious-pla Daily Fail today.

Managed games 53 / wins 12 / draws 17 / losses 24 / win rate % 22.6

I can' see why he isn't a show in? Sol was a great player but players haven't warmed to him as a manager. Very strict, if you are late on his watch you are fined and dropped.... And then he's continually late himself. Sets an example. Perhaps the owners plans is to sell 7 season tickets, jack it in and sell Loftus Road to Tesco?

No quotes
New Manager: odds on 15:29 - May 23 with 2344 viewskensalriser

New Manager: odds on 12:28 - May 23 by nix

Yes, we probably have got a bit of a basket case reputation, what with the FFP fiasco, Pallidini and the Four Year Plan etc. We're only going to get someone who sees US as a step up.

In fairness, though, how many British managers get those plum jobs these days? It's not just the QPR effect. It's also the issue of British managers not really being thought of as cutting edge, in terms of coaching and managing style. Only seven British managers in the Premier League atm, two of them, Lampard and Gerrard, big names because of their playing career. Potter got the Brighton job when they had struggled in the Prem. Eddie Howe got the chance after actually winning promotion to the Premier with Bournemouth. Similarly, Brendan Rodgers at Swansea.

The main thing that worries me is that the expectations of the Board might put people off. It's one thing managing Forest and getting paid a big wedge and having an embarrassment of riches at your disposal and being expected to at least make the play offs. Bit less realistic with QPR.

I think this is more likely the sort of exceptionalism that afflicts most football fans. When you passionately support a club it's hard to rationalise that passion with the reality that there are 92 football league clubs and most of them are much of a muchness. There's nothing exceptional about QPR and there's no shortage of other chaotically, badly run and or/under funded clubs.
[Post edited 23 May 2022 20:13]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024