Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager: odds 13:14 - May 3 with 177581 viewsTonto

Manning favourite. Eustace second favourite. Our old friend Timmy turns up again.

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/queens-park-rangers

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

New Manager: odds on 16:43 - May 27 with 6679 viewsMrSheen

New Manager: odds on 12:30 - May 27 by Mytch_QPR

Your QPR TV highlights tonight:

6.45: Beale Or No Beale. Les and Lee open a series of unmarked boxes in order to attempt to find their new dream manager / messiah - but they have to be careful as some of the boxes contain Phil Brown, Alan Curbishley and Paladini's old fax machine.

7.45: Westenders. Mick Beale re-opens the local launderette and is approached by a shady businessman - known only as 'Mr A' - who asks if he can launder other items than the boardroom curtains.

8.15: Cash In The Attic. Lee and Les have a clear out to try to raise some much-needed funds. This week they are trying to shift an old Austin with no MOT and an assortment of broken goalkeepers.

9.00: FILM: Carry On Up The Bush: Classic Ealing Comedy. After a string of unsuccessful appointments, a football club decide to break the mould and bring a female manager to the club.
Tony Fernandes: Bernard Bresslaw
Lee Hoos: Sid James
Charles Austin: Charles Hawtrey
Tim Sherwood: Leonard Rossiter
Gareth Ainsworth: Robin Askwith
Joseph de Barton: Peter Sellers
Emma Hayes: Hatty Jacques
The Ghost Of Mark Warburton: Yul 'Be Sorry' Brynner
[Post edited 27 May 2022 12:35]

Kenneth Williams and Jack Douglas as Nick London and Andy Sinton.
[Post edited 27 May 2022 16:46]
New Manager: odds on 18:39 - May 27 with 6379 viewsR_from_afar

New Manager: odds on 16:43 - May 27 by MrSheen

Kenneth Williams and Jack Douglas as Nick London and Andy Sinton.
[Post edited 27 May 2022 16:46]

Let's not forget those who love their daytime TV. They can get their mid-afternoon Rangers telly fix by tuning in to "Ready, steady, Lee Cook," the fantasy football game hosted by the plucky winger in which prospective QPR managers compete with each other to come up with a potentially promotion winning team on a budget of just £10.50

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New Manager: odds on 19:09 - May 27 with 6237 viewsqpr1976

New Manager: odds on 15:49 - May 27 by Lblock

As mentioned above I’d love to win the play offs, bag the cash, then stay in the Championship thus avoid regular servings of our own arse at increasingly stupid days and times.

To put this club back on something resembling an even keel we surely have to get promoted, continue the prudent approach or, in fact, actually invest further in it, and accept relegation with a possible lowest points ever tally.
The sugar rush transfer windows lining the pockets of half arsed “stars” and their lizard agents are gone. Forever I hope

Not sure about “increasing” stupid days and times.
There’s been Friday night, Monday nights, Early & Late Saturday & Sunday games, for years (decades?), but I take your point.
Sadly, I’m also not convinced the Agent snakes are going away anytime soon.

However, I have no problem with a Great season, getting promoted (automatically or via playoffs) then getting relegated the following season in a Norwich, Watford style (1 Great season, 1 sh!t season) as long as it repeats. Most non Prem sides would kill for that. And the money would be welcome for the club & the quality of hungry players (not prima donnas, charlatans or blood suckers like the Hughes & Redknapp days). Surely, any reasonable Club, Manager, Player and Fan wants to win every game. Wants to win Every competition they play in. Otherwise it’s just an insult.

Give me 1 fantastic year every 2 years. That’ll do for me. Highs & Low over Mediocrity all day long.
[Post edited 27 May 2022 19:12]
New Manager: odds on 10:10 - May 28 with 5620 viewsMedwayR

I see Neil Critchley being linked with Blackburn, can’t believe we’ve seemingly not shown interest, appears an ideal candidate for us.

Poll: Who’s better?

New Manager: odds on 10:17 - May 28 with 5562 viewsDavieQPR

What still really worries me is that we are after a Head Coach and not Manager. Also do they want a young inexperienced one so that Ferdinand and Ramsay can exert their influence even more.
New Manager: odds on 10:32 - May 28 with 5488 viewsessextaxiboy

If you are successful in the Championship (which we all want ) you are going to end up in the Prem.

If we use the money wisely it can help secure the future of the club.

Sky are tossers we all know that but.... we would get to play Chelsea twice , Arsenal, West Ham in the Olympic Stadium, Spurs in their new ground and Brentford in their new ground . We get the chance for things like the comeback against Liverpool , putting the wind up City and seeing some of the best players in the world live and hopefully beating some of them .

Walk out of White City and there are touts and TV crews and a real buzz IMO . Our commercial opportunities increase massively and after the game you can read proper match reports by respected journos instead half a paragraph somewhere .

I would swap all of that for the football I knew in 70s but things change .
New Manager: odds on 11:15 - May 28 with 5348 viewsdmm

New Manager: odds on 10:17 - May 28 by DavieQPR

What still really worries me is that we are after a Head Coach and not Manager. Also do they want a young inexperienced one so that Ferdinand and Ramsay can exert their influence even more.

Given the situation with Warburton, I'd say greater accountability to Les and the board is a major factor in going for a head coach rather than a manager. How the head coach will work with Ramsey, whose title is technical director I believe, will be interesting to see.
New Manager: odds on 11:24 - May 28 with 5324 viewsTK1

Unless it is Chris Ramsey, of course.
Login to get fewer ads

New Manager: odds on 12:28 - May 28 with 5094 viewsAntti_Heinola

New Manager: odds on 19:09 - May 27 by qpr1976

Not sure about “increasing” stupid days and times.
There’s been Friday night, Monday nights, Early & Late Saturday & Sunday games, for years (decades?), but I take your point.
Sadly, I’m also not convinced the Agent snakes are going away anytime soon.

However, I have no problem with a Great season, getting promoted (automatically or via playoffs) then getting relegated the following season in a Norwich, Watford style (1 Great season, 1 sh!t season) as long as it repeats. Most non Prem sides would kill for that. And the money would be welcome for the club & the quality of hungry players (not prima donnas, charlatans or blood suckers like the Hughes & Redknapp days). Surely, any reasonable Club, Manager, Player and Fan wants to win every game. Wants to win Every competition they play in. Otherwise it’s just an insult.

Give me 1 fantastic year every 2 years. That’ll do for me. Highs & Low over Mediocrity all day long.
[Post edited 27 May 2022 19:12]

I mean that's fine, but there's not a lot of room for nuance. As a fan, you can go to every game wanting your team to win and of course dream in our case of winning a major trophy. But that's not incompatible - at all - with having major reservations about the Premier League, how it operates, what it's like to play in it, and so on.

Agents are necessary and the sooner fans get used to that the better. There will be ways and ways of dealing with them, but at this end of the game, it would be madness for footballers not to have an agent. Clubs will screw them otherwise, and to think otherwise is naive.

I completely agree that I'd rather have exciting seasons over constant mid-table, though, but I reckon a lot of fans would get sick of the poor seasons pretty quickly.
[Post edited 28 May 2022 13:05]

Bare bones.

New Manager: odds on 12:39 - May 28 with 5032 viewsonlyrinmoray

New Manager: odds on 10:10 - May 28 by MedwayR

I see Neil Critchley being linked with Blackburn, can’t believe we’ve seemingly not shown interest, appears an ideal candidate for us.

My thought would be the Rotherham manager…can’t remember his name ..oh yes someone Warne plenty of promotions and some relegations though
New Manager: odds on 15:40 - May 28 with 4666 viewsArcticHoop

Talking about Chris Ramsey he´s 10/1 at Sky Bet
New Manager: odds on 19:55 - May 29 with 3767 viewsDannytheR

Might be something, might be nothing, but Karl Robinson has now become clear favourite over the course of the day. Odds-on with at least one bookie.
New Manager: odds on 20:10 - May 29 with 3675 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Getting bored of this, just give it to someone so we can get on with calling for their head soon enough!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

New Manager: odds on 20:11 - May 29 with 3670 viewsbosh67

New Manager: odds on 20:10 - May 29 by PlanetHonneywood

Getting bored of this, just give it to someone so we can get on with calling for their head soon enough!!

FFS I'll do it. How hard can it be?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

New Manager: odds on 20:38 - May 29 with 3527 viewsPlanetHonneywood

New Manager: odds on 20:11 - May 29 by bosh67

FFS I'll do it. How hard can it be?

Bosh out, sh1te game management; tactically clueless and smells like his pished his pants!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

New Manager: odds on 21:56 - May 29 with 3275 viewsessextaxiboy

To be fair they have got stick in the past for not being rigorous enough in interviewing managers .
New Manager: odds on 22:19 - May 29 with 3154 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

New Manager: odds on 19:55 - May 29 by DannytheR

Might be something, might be nothing, but Karl Robinson has now become clear favourite over the course of the day. Odds-on with at least one bookie.

I'd be happy with this. Loads of experience. I can't quite believe he's only 41 as he seems to have been managing forever. Likes our club and has shown he can succeed with a low budget. No big deal if it doesn't work out. Knows League 1 like the back of his hand (just in case). Lots to like.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

New Manager: odds on 22:52 - May 29 with 3021 viewsDavieQPR

New Manager: odds on 20:10 - May 29 by PlanetHonneywood

If we call for his 'head' would he then become a coach?
New Manager: odds on 23:26 - May 29 with 2926 viewsqpr1976

New Manager: odds on 12:28 - May 28 by Antti_Heinola

I mean that's fine, but there's not a lot of room for nuance. As a fan, you can go to every game wanting your team to win and of course dream in our case of winning a major trophy. But that's not incompatible - at all - with having major reservations about the Premier League, how it operates, what it's like to play in it, and so on.

Agents are necessary and the sooner fans get used to that the better. There will be ways and ways of dealing with them, but at this end of the game, it would be madness for footballers not to have an agent. Clubs will screw them otherwise, and to think otherwise is naive.

I completely agree that I'd rather have exciting seasons over constant mid-table, though, but I reckon a lot of fans would get sick of the poor seasons pretty quickly.
[Post edited 28 May 2022 13:05]

Pretty sure most fans have been “used” to agents for many many years. But it doesn’t stop them being regarded as parasites. They live off other peoples talents. Of course, there will be odd one with integrity, but leeches mostly. A necessary evil.

There would still be some highs in the poor seasons. Remember Chelsea (twice), Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Stoke….. With the Prem money there would be little reason to raise s/t prices. And every 2 years the club would be properly self sufficient.

Pipe dream atm though.
New Manager: odds on 06:02 - May 30 with 2627 viewscpgerber

What exactly do players' agents then do to "protect" them? All of us sign contracts with employers with some common sense to prevent us from getting screwed over. And if we're not happy, we resign and find something else or they pay us more.

Now I understand that with football there are more things that come into play, like image rights etc, but I can't imagine that it is so complicated that the majority of players need an agent.

Friend of mine played for amongst other PSV & Ajax and even international football (two World Cup's amongst others) and didn't use an agent. He said you get an employment contract like any normal person and negotiate the terms until you're happy.
New Manager: odds on 06:57 - May 30 with 2526 viewsderbyhoop

I remember a story, many years ago, about Palace being interested in signing Tim Cahill from Millwall. All had been agreed until the agent demanded Palace pay the agent his 10%.
Simon Jordanm, who was Palace Chairman at the time, told the agent to go away, using the traditional 2 words.
CAahill ended up having a good career at Everon. I think Palace got relegated.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

New Manager: odds on 07:44 - May 30 with 2402 viewsNorthernr

As we go into week four I'm still finding it hard to shake the suspicion the best realistic, available manager for our job is the one we just binned.
New Manager: odds on 08:27 - May 30 with 2211 viewsnadera78

New Manager: odds on 06:02 - May 30 by cpgerber

What exactly do players' agents then do to "protect" them? All of us sign contracts with employers with some common sense to prevent us from getting screwed over. And if we're not happy, we resign and find something else or they pay us more.

Now I understand that with football there are more things that come into play, like image rights etc, but I can't imagine that it is so complicated that the majority of players need an agent.

Friend of mine played for amongst other PSV & Ajax and even international football (two World Cup's amongst others) and didn't use an agent. He said you get an employment contract like any normal person and negotiate the terms until you're happy.

At the end of his contract a player without an agent walks into a room with the CEO or Chairman and says "I want the same money X gets paid". The response is obvious "He's a better player than you". That's a hell of blow to the ego, especially for men who need a certain level of belief in order to perform in front of thousands of screaming fans and millions more watching on TV. The player gets the hump, but has no real comeback. If he decides to leave then he has to sit at home and call round the other managers in the game offering his services, some of whom he will have a pre-existing relationship with others he won't. That's a second blow to the ego. Now they all know he's desperate, so who will offer him the money he wants? No-one. That's a third blow to the ego. So does he accept the reduced offers he's getting elsewhere or go back to his original club and accept their offer? Fourth blow. What if, knowing he's backed himself into a corner, that original club now reduces its offer? Fifth blow. You see where this is going?

That's the main reason players have agents. The other stuff - the sponsorship deals, the holiday arrangements, the financial planning, the clearing up of unfortunate headlines and unwanted pregnancies, etc, etc - they all come a distant second.
New Manager: odds on 09:34 - May 30 with 1995 viewsBklynRanger

I see there's only BV showing on that link now at 4/6 - not sure if the others have got bored or closed their books.

Possibly a Big Robbo announcement later followed by a 'season ticket prices shocker' to jazz up our Monday afternoons.
New Manager: odds on 09:38 - May 30 with 1973 viewsfrancisbowles

New Manager: odds on 08:27 - May 30 by nadera78

At the end of his contract a player without an agent walks into a room with the CEO or Chairman and says "I want the same money X gets paid". The response is obvious "He's a better player than you". That's a hell of blow to the ego, especially for men who need a certain level of belief in order to perform in front of thousands of screaming fans and millions more watching on TV. The player gets the hump, but has no real comeback. If he decides to leave then he has to sit at home and call round the other managers in the game offering his services, some of whom he will have a pre-existing relationship with others he won't. That's a second blow to the ego. Now they all know he's desperate, so who will offer him the money he wants? No-one. That's a third blow to the ego. So does he accept the reduced offers he's getting elsewhere or go back to his original club and accept their offer? Fourth blow. What if, knowing he's backed himself into a corner, that original club now reduces its offer? Fifth blow. You see where this is going?

That's the main reason players have agents. The other stuff - the sponsorship deals, the holiday arrangements, the financial planning, the clearing up of unfortunate headlines and unwanted pregnancies, etc, etc - they all come a distant second.

Sounds like the perfect recipe for stopping greedy players and agents draining the game of money it can't afford. It might make for a more level playing field as clubs could afford more and better players, it might lead to more spending on facilities and It might even filter down to a reduction in ticket prices.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024