Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parachute payments and VAR 12:34 - May 27 with 3913 viewsWegerles_Stairs

In yesterday's Times, Rick Parry set out the case for abolishing parachute payments and confirmed a VAR system could be used in the Championship as soon as the 2023-24 season if agreed by clubs.

Parry said that research by the EFL found "quite chilling" figures, including that since 2010-11 the total paid out to all clubs in a season in parachute payments has risen from £30m to £250m. The likelihood of parachute clubs being promoted has gone up from twice as likely as other clubs from 2007 to 2017 to three times as likely over the past five years.

One parachute payment of £44m is also substantially more than the £36m paid to all 48 League One and Two clubs collectively.

Also, the League Cup is under threat because of the expanded Mammon League.
Parachute payments and VAR on 13:17 - May 27 with 3798 viewsLblock

Yes I’m sure that parachute money is better served swilling around the Premiershit only; those Louis Vitton boot bags won’t buy themselves you know.

I’m still of the opinion that I wished the European Super League had gone ahead.
Reboot the game.
Let those billionaires go off and do their own thing and we reshape our leagues plus collaborate with other European leagues giving us mere mortal clubs a sniff of participation in other cup competitions.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Parachute payments and VAR on 13:31 - May 27 with 3747 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Parachute payments and VAR on 13:17 - May 27 by Lblock

Yes I’m sure that parachute money is better served swilling around the Premiershit only; those Louis Vitton boot bags won’t buy themselves you know.

I’m still of the opinion that I wished the European Super League had gone ahead.
Reboot the game.
Let those billionaires go off and do their own thing and we reshape our leagues plus collaborate with other European leagues giving us mere mortal clubs a sniff of participation in other cup competitions.

Yes, I agree. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens eventually anyway. Just don't see how it's sustainable carrying on like it is at the moment. FFP is a complete joke - teams like PSG and City are clearly contravening it, but nothing is happening to them. All one big closed shop now.
Parachute payments and VAR on 13:32 - May 27 with 3741 viewsQPR_John

Reboot the game.

Could not agree more
Parachute payments and VAR on 13:42 - May 27 with 3700 viewsKonk

Reboot the game.

It would be fantastic. A turbulent few years, but things would settle down. Maybe we should have held counter-demonstrations outside their grounds, encouraging the twa ts to fuc k-off. X

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Parachute payments and VAR on 14:04 - May 27 with 3637 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Parachute payments and VAR on 13:42 - May 27 by Konk

It would be fantastic. A turbulent few years, but things would settle down. Maybe we should have held counter-demonstrations outside their grounds, encouraging the twa ts to fuc k-off. X

That's actually a brilliant idea. Chelshi t seem to think they singlehandedly brought the whole thing down themselves with their 'protest' - imagine a united protest of other clubs telling them to jog on thank you very much.
Parachute payments and VAR on 14:53 - May 27 with 3533 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think this was more of a tactic by those clubs to shake the tree and see what fell.

Now all of a sudden, we've got more games in the Champions & Numerous Runners-up League plus two new European competitions, each with loads of games too.

UEFA never have had the cajones to call their bluff. Instead, they've given the clubs more football games...shower of ol' monkey gizz the lot of 'em!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Parachute payments and VAR on 14:55 - May 27 with 3522 viewstoboboly

Rick Parry shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Football League, everything he advocates is for the "big 6" in the PL. He couldn't give a fck about the pyramid.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Parachute payments and VAR on 15:24 - May 27 with 3464 viewsloftus77

Yep, parachute payments have always been a joke (and admittedly we benefited in 2013-14) but now a major advantage has risen to absurd, ludicrous levels - inflated by successive Premier League TV deals. Additionally, Covid has not helped because it has reduced the match day revenue of non-PP clubs stymying their ability to compete further with those in the 'sub-Premier PP club'.

As I understand it, there are 5 PP clubs next season - Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Sheff Utd and West Brom. So there, for pretty-much-certain, is your top 5 in no particular order. The only unknown is which non-PP club will join them - I'm going for 'Boro.
Login to get fewer ads

Parachute payments and VAR on 15:43 - May 27 with 3418 viewsthemodfather

there is a lot of cash in football, from tv to media, gambling, then agents fees, little seems to come back to clubs and the bits that do rarely benefit us fans!

i hate the prem lge and all the champions league is, ie money , clubs owned by states , oil sheiks and milk shakes!
Parachute payments and VAR on 16:09 - May 27 with 3372 viewsMick_S

I’m in. Bed sheets and spray can ready. Where do we meet? I’d suggest a retail park that has a Dunelm’s and a Halfords for those of the same persuasion that aren’t quite as organised as us. Might be a bit of a struggle on the mean streets of Chelsea; might have to bus the contraband in.

No flares - that’s W@nky.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Parachute payments and VAR on 21:25 - May 27 with 3100 viewsThe_Beast1976

Reboot the game.

I am also of this opinion. It is the bestvthing that could happen to football in this country. A shame it got pulled. Hopefully just a matter of time though.....
Parachute payments and VAR on 21:45 - May 27 with 3071 viewsstevec

I’m all for us joining the Portuguese League. Cheap flights, hot and sunny, bit of golf the following day if it’s too late to fly back after a midweek game.
Parachute payments and VAR on 08:44 - May 28 with 2860 viewsdavman

Parachute payments and VAR on 15:24 - May 27 by loftus77

Yep, parachute payments have always been a joke (and admittedly we benefited in 2013-14) but now a major advantage has risen to absurd, ludicrous levels - inflated by successive Premier League TV deals. Additionally, Covid has not helped because it has reduced the match day revenue of non-PP clubs stymying their ability to compete further with those in the 'sub-Premier PP club'.

As I understand it, there are 5 PP clubs next season - Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Sheff Utd and West Brom. So there, for pretty-much-certain, is your top 5 in no particular order. The only unknown is which non-PP club will join them - I'm going for 'Boro.

Aren't Huddersfield still benefiting too?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Parachute payments and VAR on 09:35 - May 28 with 2812 viewsswitchingcode

Still to read any solution on what to replace parachute payments with.There was a suggestion of halving these to 50 mill which would mean even more money in the pot for the remaining PL sides.The promoted clubs would have less money to spend on strengthening their squads so increasing the odds of relegation.
Parachute payments and VAR on 10:06 - May 28 with 2761 viewsQPR_John

Parachute payments and VAR on 09:35 - May 28 by switchingcode

Still to read any solution on what to replace parachute payments with.There was a suggestion of halving these to 50 mill which would mean even more money in the pot for the remaining PL sides.The promoted clubs would have less money to spend on strengthening their squads so increasing the odds of relegation.

Don’t give the parachute payments to the relegated clubs but divide it between all clubs that will be in the following seasons championship.
Parachute payments and VAR on 10:22 - May 28 with 2727 viewsDWQPR

It’s not so much the parachute payments that are harming the Championship and the EFL In general it is the continuation of FFP. The system is a joke and rather than stopping clubs getting into financial trouble it has encouraged some owners to put everything on black and gamble the future of the club by trying to get into the PL. Derby I suspect would not have been in the mess that they found themselves in and certainly Morris wouldn’t have purchased Pride Park. Wednesday the same, Reading and it is likely that both Villa and Bournemouth would have found themselves deep in it had they not scrapped promotion. Owners should be made to lodge a bond with the EFL maybe to at least the value of the ground of the club but equally football clubs should be treated like any other business. You get into financial difficulties then you go bust. If owners want to spend bigger then let them, but it will be their debt and not that of the club.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Parachute payments and VAR on 10:41 - May 28 with 2703 viewsswitchingcode

Parachute payments and VAR on 10:06 - May 28 by QPR_John

Don’t give the parachute payments to the relegated clubs but divide it between all clubs that will be in the following seasons championship.

So that give around 5 mill each to the championship clubs and will make the gap between PL and championship even wider.
Parachute payments and VAR on 11:15 - May 28 with 2666 viewsDorse

At the risk of sounding like some sort of grizzled 19th century prospector (dagnabbit) but it seems to me that things really were better in the 'old' days as far as top flight football went.

Firstly, despite the whole 'Liverpool won everything' narrative, there were numerous examples of middling clubs that took the title: Derby, Forest, Leeds (gits), Everton and Aston Villa all between 1970 and 1990. What have we got now? Financially doped Blackburn and a Leicester team that nobody saw coming.

The cups used to go to all sorts of other clubs - hell we even made the final. The playing field was far more equal and, with a 42 game season, one sub and smaller squads, games and seasons could turn on a single injury.

Secondly, the European Cup was only for champions, UEFA for runners-up etc and Cup Winners' for, well, Cup winners. As a straight two-legged knock out format, it avoided dead rubbers and allowed for smaller clubs to make progress, rather than the same 8 teams in every quarter final, every year. Aberdeen?! Really?

What we have now is such a closed shop that the only reason for clubs to play is to make money. 80% of all the teams that begin the campaign will get nothing out of it. But even the 15% of teams that get relegated can still buy their way back in, using money given them specifically for the purpose by the league that just showed them the door! Any club that bucks this trend and makes it there without the PL's assistance is immediately hooked up to that sweet, sweet financial crack and told to take a big drag - this won't hurt a bit.

It's a fcuking racket. More money, disconnection from the fans' reality, no sense of responsibility to anything but the balance sheet. We've become customers, a revenue stream, rather than supporters - people connected to the club and players whom we actually support.

I don't want a Super League. I want our league to be better. Reward success but don't reward continued mediocrity and tell me it's the best league in the world.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Parachute payments and VAR on 12:13 - May 28 with 2594 viewstoboboly

Change the rules regarding directors pay back to what they were. Owners not being able to siphon money out of the club will stop, stop grounds being sold, stop leveraged buy outs, stop foreign investment, you will see a marked improvement and far less shysters

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Parachute payments and VAR on 15:09 - May 28 with 2496 viewsQPR_John

Parachute payments and VAR on 10:41 - May 28 by switchingcode

So that give around 5 mill each to the championship clubs and will make the gap between PL and championship even wider.

No wider than it is now and it makes the championship financially more equal.
Parachute payments and VAR on 16:56 - May 28 with 2406 viewsManinBlack

Parachute payments and VAR on 08:44 - May 28 by davman

Aren't Huddersfield still benefiting too?

I don't think Huddersfield get anything now. Did they not buy anyone for the season just gone? I read somewhere that Luton got £15.75 million over 3 years which is £76 million less than Fulham thanks to these payments. I believe Fair Game are trying to change the imbalance.

Sadly football reflects real life. The elites get richer and the poor get poorer and so football clubs are the same. Unfortunately with QPR when we do get money we fritter it away rather like an obsessed gambler.

I can't get my head round how Roma can be torn to shreds 6-1 by Bodo Glimt in European competition and yet go on to win the Europa Conference League. How did that happen?
Parachute payments and VAR on 17:47 - May 28 with 2383 viewsswisscottage

How about distributing parachute payments:
40% to the relegated club
40% split amongst remaining championship clubs
20% to League 1 and 2

Whilst it wouldn't necessarily balance everything, it should be sufficient to support clubs gradually rebalancing books after relegation, whilst helping the EFL clubs keep the wolves from the door and be more competitive.
Parachute payments and VAR on 20:55 - May 29 with 2136 viewsVancouverHoop

It'd great if it happened. Theoretically.

But the ensuing financial chaos would be massive. Our owners – and many others – would cut and run in a heartbeat. The lure of the Premier League is far greater for them than for us. How that would shake down in the longer run is anyone's guess but getting there won't be pretty.
Parachute payments and VAR on 08:52 - May 30 with 1945 viewsNortholt_Rs

Parachute payments and VAR on 14:55 - May 27 by toboboly

Rick Parry shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Football League, everything he advocates is for the "big 6" in the PL. He couldn't give a fck about the pyramid.

And LiVARpool in particular….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024