Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on this. 12:34 - Jun 6 with 6454 viewsSnipper

Rory Jennings hits the nail firmly on the head here.

Thoughts on this. on 12:52 - Jun 6 with 3904 viewsdaveB

Southgate has go to 2 semi finals and a final since taking over, I'll take that no one else got anywhere near that close to winning anything.

Having a strong defence meaning we have hardly conceded a goal in the last 2 tournaments has given us a great platform to do well especially with our attacking players.

I think to say we should have got to the World Cup Final in 2018 is utterly laughable when you see what the squad looked like. A Team with Ashley Young at full back, Dier, Henderson, Lingard and Dele in it should have been nowhere near winning a tournament. England had far better teams than that go out in group stages
Thoughts on this. on 13:03 - Jun 6 with 3844 viewsSnipper

Thoughts on this. on 12:52 - Jun 6 by daveB

Southgate has go to 2 semi finals and a final since taking over, I'll take that no one else got anywhere near that close to winning anything.

Having a strong defence meaning we have hardly conceded a goal in the last 2 tournaments has given us a great platform to do well especially with our attacking players.

I think to say we should have got to the World Cup Final in 2018 is utterly laughable when you see what the squad looked like. A Team with Ashley Young at full back, Dier, Henderson, Lingard and Dele in it should have been nowhere near winning a tournament. England had far better teams than that go out in group stages

They had a fairly decent route in the World Cup. I’d take Colombia in the last 16 and Sweden in the last 8 in every World Cup.

We had every game bar 1 at Wembley in the Euros. A poor Germany in the last 16, an awful Ukraine in the last 8 and Denmark in a home semi.

Southgate is definitely not the messiah.
Thoughts on this. on 13:14 - Jun 6 with 3776 viewsterryb

I have no idea who Rory Jennings is & I've not listened to this clip, so I can't comment on his views.

IMO all of the international matches prior to the start of the World Cup are warm up games. Experiments are acceptable & the result is irrelevant provided information is gleaned, even if it is only that player x can be crossed off the list of possibilities.
Thoughts on this. on 13:19 - Jun 6 with 3752 viewsAntti_Heinola

Love Southgate.
the only person who could realistically replace him now is Beale, the messiah. Do we seriously want that?
Wake up, lads.

Bare bones.

Thoughts on this. on 13:19 - Jun 6 with 3754 viewsLogman

Can't put it all on Southgate. Yes, he is tactically limited but part of the reason for me is because the players are incapable of playing total football. Individually they can play but they cannot play neat, technical, progressive football all over the park. No good putting it all on Southgate. We simply don't groom our kids well enough to play and implement the beautiful game from front to back, or back to front.
Thoughts on this. on 13:35 - Jun 6 with 3690 viewsDavieQPR

But it is boring, defensive football. Usually struggles against top sides.
Thoughts on this. on 13:39 - Jun 6 with 3666 viewsWestbourneR

Thoughts on this. on 12:52 - Jun 6 by daveB

This. His performance and the way he handles the role is exemplary. He's just too cerebral for the shouty morons on Talksport.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Thoughts on this. on 13:46 - Jun 6 with 3642 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Thoughts on this. on 13:39 - Jun 6 by WestbourneR

This. His performance and the way he handles the role is exemplary. He's just too cerebral for the shouty morons on Talksport.

There is no doubt he is a class manager and human being but can he push the right buttons to win the World Cup .
One massive question raised by the video above is the reason England did not win the Euros.
I think its universally agreed that England could have overpowered Italy and gone up 2 or 3 in the first half.
Who pulled in the reins ,Southgate or the players retreating into a defensive shell that allowed Italy to pull level and win the shootout.
England have the talent to cut through teams but will Southgate go for that I suspect no
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on this. on 14:19 - Jun 6 with 3508 viewsdaveB

Thoughts on this. on 13:03 - Jun 6 by Snipper

They had a fairly decent route in the World Cup. I’d take Colombia in the last 16 and Sweden in the last 8 in every World Cup.

We had every game bar 1 at Wembley in the Euros. A poor Germany in the last 16, an awful Ukraine in the last 8 and Denmark in a home semi.

Southgate is definitely not the messiah.

They had Iceland 2 years earlier and messed that up, it was a good route to the final mainly as we won our first 2 games and got to pick which side of the draw to go on, something we never normally do in tournaments we are usually needing a win in the last game or we go home

He's not a messiah but he's done a very good job as England manager
Thoughts on this. on 14:21 - Jun 6 with 3496 viewsdaveB

Thoughts on this. on 13:14 - Jun 6 by terryb

I have no idea who Rory Jennings is & I've not listened to this clip, so I can't comment on his views.

IMO all of the international matches prior to the start of the World Cup are warm up games. Experiments are acceptable & the result is irrelevant provided information is gleaned, even if it is only that player x can be crossed off the list of possibilities.

He's a Chelsea fan who does a you tube channel similar to Arsenal Tv and has got himself a radio show off the back of it.
Thoughts on this. on 14:47 - Jun 6 with 3411 viewsted_hendrix

I thought Italy completely 'owned' the second half and was a bit surprised that they did'nt equalise sooner than they did.
From memory I do recall shouting at the television to Southgate telling him to get It sorted, the penalties I'm afraid were poorly organised, substitutions coming on late in the game and then taking penalties???

I'm a bit Meh about Southgate If I'm honest but we've got to run with him I suppose.

I won't be watching the WC anyway due to boring political reasons.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Thoughts on this. on 14:57 - Jun 6 with 3363 viewskensalriser

The second most successful England manager ever...

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Thoughts on this. on 14:59 - Jun 6 with 3343 viewsLblock

To have not gone at a slow Italian defence in that final was unforgivable in my book.
I thought that as I stood four to a seat at Wembley that night and I still think it now.
Loved the reconnect Southgate oversaw and he’s obviously a fine upstanding individual, I just thing his approach stifles us too much.
You cannot rely on the defenders and keepers we currently have in the form they are in so we need to go at teams more. The attacking flair players like Grealish, Sako, Sancho, Sterling, Bellingham would walk into a lot of starting 11’s but there’s a reluctance to let them off the leash

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Thoughts on this. on 15:06 - Jun 6 with 3321 viewsNorthernr

Record speaks for itself.
Alternatives not attractive.
Thoughts on this. on 15:06 - Jun 6 with 3321 viewsMedwayR

The only problems I have with Southgate is his in game management is poor, when the opposition change as Italy and Denmark did he struggles to react to it, and his negative approach which is often part of the first problem. We struggle to control games and that is the area he needs to develop in to have success.

Poll: Who’s better?

Thoughts on this. on 15:07 - Jun 6 with 3317 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Yes, I am with LBlock on this. Southgate's record is actually very good but the lack of ambition on that day when a major tournament was ours for the taking will probably wrangle for ever.
Thoughts on this. on 15:21 - Jun 6 with 3260 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Thoughts on this. on 13:14 - Jun 6 by terryb

First off, the Euros are certainly not warm-up games for the World Cup.

With respect to the Nations League, all tournaments by definition are experimental at their inception. The World Cup was conceived on the back of the success of football at the Olympics and only 13 countries took part in the inaugural tournament in 1930. It's now an established competition revered the world over.

The Nations League may or may not develop into a similarly revered competition but the opportunity to win trophies and cement your legacy in the history books should not be overlooked, particularly by a nation with a relatively poor record in international competitions such as England.

Indeed, I would argue that now is the time to take the Nations League seriously whilst other nations perhaps are not. Even if it fades in the future, building a winning mentality is never a bad thing and can only help the team in other competitions.
Thoughts on this. on 16:05 - Jun 6 with 3148 viewsSonofpugwash

No,sorry,I'm not going be lectured and patronised by a jumped up civil servant masquerading as a football manager that has as much tactical nous as a squashed hedgehog.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Thoughts on this. on 16:22 - Jun 6 with 3090 viewsRangers67

Thoughts on this. on 14:47 - Jun 6 by ted_hendrix

I thought Italy completely 'owned' the second half and was a bit surprised that they did'nt equalise sooner than they did.
From memory I do recall shouting at the television to Southgate telling him to get It sorted, the penalties I'm afraid were poorly organised, substitutions coming on late in the game and then taking penalties???

I'm a bit Meh about Southgate If I'm honest but we've got to run with him I suppose.

Agree with this, I would give him until after this world cup and see how we stand. His record is decent but so it should be with the players at his disposal. I think he is over cautious but what do I know. I also will not be engaging with the world cup due to the horrendous human toll involved in the construction of the stadia and infrastructure.
Thoughts on this. on 16:42 - Jun 6 with 3025 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Thoughts on this. on 14:47 - Jun 6 by ted_hendrix

We should have been home and hosed in the first half. I certainly don't recall them owning the second half though. We did sit too deep though.
Thoughts on this. on 16:44 - Jun 6 with 3019 viewsterryb

Thoughts on this. on 15:21 - Jun 6 by Benny_the_Ball

First off, the Euros are certainly not warm-up games for the World Cup.

With respect to the Nations League, all tournaments by definition are experimental at their inception. The World Cup was conceived on the back of the success of football at the Olympics and only 13 countries took part in the inaugural tournament in 1930. It's now an established competition revered the world over.

The Nations League may or may not develop into a similarly revered competition but the opportunity to win trophies and cement your legacy in the history books should not be overlooked, particularly by a nation with a relatively poor record in international competitions such as England.

Indeed, I would argue that now is the time to take the Nations League seriously whilst other nations perhaps are not. Even if it fades in the future, building a winning mentality is never a bad thing and can only help the team in other competitions.

I wasn't aware that there are any Euro qualifiers before the World Cup & you're quite right that they should not be taken as warm up games.

Squeezing four Nations League matches in June, just prior to the start of pre-season is another matter. I am in favour of this tournament & think it is a vast step up from the previous meaningless friendlies. However, this month, players, as well as clubs, will not be regarding them as anything other than experimenting with systems & giving players on the verge of the squad a chance to show they should be given further consideration.

Apart from playing & preparing for tournaments, I can't recall any season that this amount of fixtures have been played.
Thoughts on this. on 16:55 - Jun 6 with 2976 viewsdaveB

Thoughts on this. on 16:44 - Jun 6 by terryb

I wasn't aware that there are any Euro qualifiers before the World Cup & you're quite right that they should not be taken as warm up games.

Squeezing four Nations League matches in June, just prior to the start of pre-season is another matter. I am in favour of this tournament & think it is a vast step up from the previous meaningless friendlies. However, this month, players, as well as clubs, will not be regarding them as anything other than experimenting with systems & giving players on the verge of the squad a chance to show they should be given further consideration.

Apart from playing & preparing for tournaments, I can't recall any season that this amount of fixtures have been played.

playing these games this months is ridiculous, 4 games in 10 days and then pre season starts. Absolutely bonkers
Thoughts on this. on 17:05 - Jun 6 with 2941 viewsNorthernr

Thoughts on this. on 16:55 - Jun 6 by daveB

playing these games this months is ridiculous, 4 games in 10 days and then pre season starts. Absolutely bonkers

And then they're all off around the world again. Liverpool, who can't possibly cope with the League Cup, play Man Utd in Bangkok July 16.
Thoughts on this. on 17:23 - Jun 6 with 2903 viewsJuzzie

I'm kind of with sonofpugwash on this.

IMO Talksport is just about stirring up controversies for a click bait/advetised driven platform.

The only tactic that is supposedly correct is when the games is won, no one complains about the tactics then. However, when the game is won no one can say 100% for sure that was the correct tactic but a win is a win, that's all that matters to most.

Saying we should have got to the World Cup Final in 2018 is completely disrespectful to Croatia. In all football tournaments from grass roots level to the World Cup there's ever only going to be one winner. It doesn't mean those that did not win were bad or tactically inept. Italy were wilfully dismissed as "not a decent". Funny, because before even both teams got to the final a lot of people were saying how good Italy were.
Maybe, just maybe, some teams are better. No one has a divine right.

The England team in the Euro final was defensively minded (maybe because we actually scored too early!) yet Italian football has it's core foundations on being defensive and they have won more International titles than England.
It's not necessarily wrong (although I don't like it myself) to be defensively minded, just that if you are you have to make it count. Italy have, we haven't.

My boy's U7's team had a tournament Saturday just gone and came second to Sutton United. Yes, the Sutton United. Are we going to berate our coach for not winning it? Of course not.

Also, Euro 2021 was not a home tournament despite playing all but one game at Wembley as there were 11 host nations (of which all host nations had to qualify). That was the whole point, it was shared across many nations in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the competition so to suggest we should have won it because it was a home tournament is just rubbish. click... click...click...

[Post edited 6 Jun 2022 20:54]
Thoughts on this. on 17:35 - Jun 6 with 2859 viewsAntti_Heinola

Thoughts on this. on 13:35 - Jun 6 by DavieQPR

But it is boring, defensive football. Usually struggles against top sides.

Everyone struggles against top sides.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024