Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols 13:44 - Jun 10 with 7248 viewsthame_hoops

Has anybody been watching the Danny Boyle tv show series on Disney+, pistol. Based on Steve Jones book “lonely boy” I know there are a few punks on this board.

I thought it was fantastic, very well acted.

I understand John Lydon is upset with it because he wasn’t consulted, there are some interviews of him on YouTube where he discusses this.
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 13:55 - Jun 10 with 5277 viewsDWQPR

Watched it last week and also enjoyed it but left wondering whether I should have enjoyed it or endured it. If accurate to actual events then I thought that Lydon came out of it really well. Vicious for his own safety should have been put in a secure unit well before he joined the band and McLaren obvious had a great business mind to exploit what he had to the maximum was a complete narcissist. Didn't realise how close to the band Chrissie Hynde was either. I knew she was around and had links to Mick Jones as well. Shame that they never lasted to make that second album (ignoring TGR&RS), which I suspect could have happened had Matlock remained.

The portrayal of each member of the band was brilliant, takes something to replicate Lydon without a doubt and the Grundy interview was absolutely spot on. I had to pause it to watch the actual interview on Youtube. Hardly a fag paper between the two.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 13:58 - Jun 10 with 5265 viewsthame_hoops

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 13:55 - Jun 10 by DWQPR

Watched it last week and also enjoyed it but left wondering whether I should have enjoyed it or endured it. If accurate to actual events then I thought that Lydon came out of it really well. Vicious for his own safety should have been put in a secure unit well before he joined the band and McLaren obvious had a great business mind to exploit what he had to the maximum was a complete narcissist. Didn't realise how close to the band Chrissie Hynde was either. I knew she was around and had links to Mick Jones as well. Shame that they never lasted to make that second album (ignoring TGR&RS), which I suspect could have happened had Matlock remained.

The portrayal of each member of the band was brilliant, takes something to replicate Lydon without a doubt and the Grundy interview was absolutely spot on. I had to pause it to watch the actual interview on Youtube. Hardly a fag paper between the two.

Great summary. Yes, the Grundy interview was superbly done. Even the hand movements from Jones. I did similar and watched the YouTube version while I paused the show.
I thought they made fun of Matlock a little bit ha ha not sure how true that is.
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 17:20 - Jun 10 with 5128 viewsJuzzie

I'll give it 7/10.

It's accurate to a point. i.e. Chrissie Hynde in real life wasn't that close to the band & didn't have a relationship with Steve Jones, that was all added for dramatic effect. She did work briefly at '5EX' but nowhere near as involved as the show portrays.

It showed that Jones, Cook & Matlock were all there at the beginning but I'm pretty sure Matlock came in just after Jones & Cook agreed to start a band with McLaren managing.

For me it feels the public's view of the Sex Pistols very much revolves around Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious when really it was primarily the other three. There was clearly talent in abundance amongst Jones, Matlock, Cook, Rotten & McLaren but there was massive conflict (and manipulation) with many wanting to be in control and claiming the band to be theirs which ultimately drove them apart.
Cook was relatively quiet but looked the part which probably kept him in.
Matlock didn't look the part, had opinions and he was ousted.

Even if it was more harmonious, there's no way they could have continued that high level of debauchery for long. They'd all be dead soon enough.

I kind of get the feeling that Jones, Matlock & Cook just wanted to be in a band. McLaren's vision of national chaos/anarchy/revolution was probably just a laugh to these lads (let's face it, they were all late teens at the beginning) and indeed helped get them elevated but it just spiraled out of control.

One album but boy, what a fking brilliant album too. Bodies probably the most controversial of a whole host of controversial songs. For me, it's not about abortion, it's not even about being for or against it. It's a song about a poor young woman (and the dead babies) and the horrific way she was treated & abused.
The opening verse sets the tone as to who she is. The second verse is society's narrow minded view, then she retorts over the next few verses "I'm not an animal".

[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 19:51]
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:38 - Jun 10 with 5043 viewsPunteR

Just done some work for Paul and Jenni cook. Absolutely lovely people. Paul is as chilled and down to earth as you're gonna get. They're obviously buzzing about the series and how its come out, pretty close to the real story but there is a bit of artistic licence going on.
A new generation of Sex Pistols fans will come from this and thats a good thing.
Paul and Steve Jones are still touring the uk with their band The Professionals. Accomplished musicians in their own right.
I've watched the first 2 episodes and thought it was really good. Captured the time well i thought, even though i was born in 76..lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 21:32 - Jun 10 with 4902 viewsthame_hoops

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:38 - Jun 10 by PunteR

Just done some work for Paul and Jenni cook. Absolutely lovely people. Paul is as chilled and down to earth as you're gonna get. They're obviously buzzing about the series and how its come out, pretty close to the real story but there is a bit of artistic licence going on.
A new generation of Sex Pistols fans will come from this and thats a good thing.
Paul and Steve Jones are still touring the uk with their band The Professionals. Accomplished musicians in their own right.
I've watched the first 2 episodes and thought it was really good. Captured the time well i thought, even though i was born in 76..lol

I was born in 77! I really enjoyed his book lonely boy, I’d recommend it to anyone
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 22:47 - Jun 10 with 4800 viewsNorthantsHoop

Really enjoyed the series, I was 13 when the Pistols set the music world alight. Remember seeing the Grundy interview when it went out live on Thames London ITV news programme at around 6pm, the fall out from the Pistols appearance and Grundy's goading of them went stratospheric, they took off from then. Think it destroyed Bill Grundy's career.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 22:51]
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 00:49 - Jun 11 with 4692 viewsToast_R

Copied from the Decent TV thread

I thought it was very good. From what I've read in various sources over the years I think they got it pretty much spot on. The character portrayal is uncanny. Sid Vicious especially and the girl that plays Siouxsie Sioux is a dead ringer. I know it's based on Steve Jones's book Lonely Boy, but can't help but think he does himself down as a guitarist some what.

I often go on YouTube to catch up on Jonesey's Jukebox. He interviews some great guests on there. It's a shame they couldn't all all down and agree to a the series with all the input but then again it's difficult when each band member probably sees the way things were or turned out differently and would have thir own vision on it. You only have to hear Sacha Baren Cohen's comments on why he pulled out of the Freddie Mercury biopic to know how difficult it can be to put ego's aside in order to get the truth out and more importantly for the backers,.something which can be sold to an audience.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2022 0:52]
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 01:15 - Jun 12 with 4411 viewsBoston

Lydon was always pissed off... about everything.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 01:49 - Jun 12 with 4395 viewsLythamR

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 01:15 - Jun 12 by Boston

Lydon was always pissed off... about everything.

I dont know how happy Chrissie Hynde would have been about her overal portrayal but she must be over the moon with the casting!
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 17:33 - Jun 14 with 4099 viewsqprxtc

It was fine. It told “a” story of that time, fairly entertains and well made but I couldn’t help but think that those kids, as talented as actors as they are, do not have anything near the life Experian e of people their equivalent age did then.

The thing that makes me more annoyed is this notion that punk saved all of society from the shitty seventies.

Punk, like most of these”scenes” had nothing to do with day to day life. Keeping a family ticking over, keeping your head above water, watching Rangers miss the league and get relegated three years later.

It didn’t change the lives of many people bar some that inflicted some f ucking awful music on us for some years later. Hello The Clash, The Smiths , The Cure…etc ( an argument for another day)

Basically the seventies, like any period of time, didn’t exist, ELO were not crap. Siouxsie and the Banshees made some crap ( and also great ) music.

Now is not the moment of greatest human enlightenment.

Bin bags in the streets was 1979. Maggie was just around the corner.
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:15 - Jun 14 with 4022 viewshubble

Do they still live near Brackenbury Road? Jenny was a mate back in the day, and also incredibly beautiful. Always thought Paul was lucky to have her!

I cant watch this because I don't have Disney plus or whatever, I mean, how many effin platforms do you have to have to watch stuff?? Would like to see it though, as a former punk myself....
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:46 - Jun 14 with 3981 viewsBoston

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:15 - Jun 14 by hubble

Do they still live near Brackenbury Road? Jenny was a mate back in the day, and also incredibly beautiful. Always thought Paul was lucky to have her!

I cant watch this because I don't have Disney plus or whatever, I mean, how many effin platforms do you have to have to watch stuff?? Would like to see it though, as a former punk myself....

They did live there about ten years ago, never heard anything about moving.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 19:22 - Jun 14 with 3949 viewsHayesender

Haven't seen this as I don't have Disney plus, and have no intention of getting it, but there's a very good programme on prime, The public image is rotten

Poll: Shamima Beghum

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 20:32 - Jun 14 with 3895 viewsqprxtc

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 19:22 - Jun 14 by Hayesender

Haven't seen this as I don't have Disney plus, and have no intention of getting it, but there's a very good programme on prime, The public image is rotten

Shut up Dave 😂😘🍻!!

Up St Stephens….
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 20:53 - Jun 14 with 3854 viewsted_hendrix

10 year old vid.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 21:06 - Jun 14 with 3830 viewsHayesender

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 20:32 - Jun 14 by qprxtc

Shut up Dave 😂😘🍻!!

Up St Stephens….

Evening Liam, get yourself home now

Poll: Shamima Beghum

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 22:00 - Jun 14 with 3787 viewsPunteR

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:15 - Jun 14 by hubble

Yes mate.
And Jenni is still a stunner ;)

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:13 - Jun 15 with 3579 viewsWatfordR

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 19:22 - Jun 14 by Hayesender

Just watched that, wasn't quite what I expected, but really enjoyed it. Mainly from his viewpoint, mostly about his time in PiL rather than the Pistols, but quite moving in parts.

And, without giving any spoilers away, a last line that made me spit my tea out laughing!
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 18:23 - Jun 15 with 3568 viewsDiscodroids

I'll have to try and watch this somewhere. Haven't got Disney+ but this looks right up my strada.

Talking of Lydon being unhappy, my mate David stevens has a suit shop at the end of my road, 'Sartoria' . An old punk that grew up with Vicious in Stoke Newington. Dave contributed to the Alan Parker book 'No one is innocent' ,A bio On Vicious, via contribution of childhood photo's. Dave Began an autio bio on fashion, Punk, subculture and the sex pistols about 18 months ago but was blocked by Lydons Lawyers as he was upset with his portrayal.

Anyway, Dave made the white tuxdo/dinner jacket for sid in the 'may way' video.

Leigh on sea... epicenter of he punk universe..

PIL ... Probably the track that influenced me more than any other.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2022 18:28]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 22:49 - Jun 17 with 3262 viewsted_hendrix

Is there just six episodes of Pistol.?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 23:53 - Jun 17 with 3213 viewsDannyPaddox

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 22:49 - Jun 17 by ted_hendrix

Is there just six episodes of Pistol.?

Six Pistols episodes yes. I saw them all at the cinema on jubilee Sunday. Seemed apt. Was prepared to be disappointed but it was a hoot. A great energy to it. To be be picky there are more holes in it than a Vivienne Westwood mohair jumper but it catches the spirit of the times.

Some great performances - particularly from the actors playing Rotten & McClaren. I’m told the 5 actors playing the band members rehearsed as a band (in Ealing Studio) for a fair while before shooting began which gives the live performances a certain authenticity. Not that I ever saw the Pistols - would’ve loved too - I was too busy playing with Lego at the time. Some great moments - Jordan commuting in to London from the Sussex coast in her see-through get-up is hilarious. And a cameo from Reggie Bosanquet. So much to like in this.

After the screening there was a Q&A with Danny Boyle, one of the cast - I think the girl who played Jordan, John Cooper-Clarke, and Julien Temple who directed the definitive Pistols Doc ‘The Filth & The Fury’ except Julien had to (sheepishly) leave early because he had a dinner engagement at the Palace - Buckingham Palace. Punk may be dead but irony thrives.
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 00:07 - Jun 18 with 3200 viewsqpr1976

Cookie & Professionals are touring again ( supporting Stiff Little Fingers currently) but I don’t think Jones is involved much anymore.
“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 08:11 - Jun 18 with 3079 viewsPunteR

Cookies daughter Hollie Cook has an album out next week.
I really like it. Summer time jams.

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 08:44 - Jun 18 with 3057 viewsBlackCrowe

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 08:11 - Jun 18 by PunteR

Did not realise Hollie Cook's was his daughter. Like a lot of her stuff.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2022 8:44]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 09:24 - Jun 18 with 3031 viewsqpr1976

“Pistol” series (NON QPR) 5ex Pistols on 08:11 - Jun 18 by PunteR

Summery reggae, or Tropical Pop as she refers to it. Good voice.
She often sings with Rotten Hill Gang in & around West London, see BBQ on YouTube.
They’re a band with ever changing members, Jonesey (the QPR/Clash one) often plays and produces them (see City of Cold Steel). 3rd album due out soon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024