Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? 21:56 - Jun 23 with 3108 views100percent

Been sitting reading an excellent book on the Velvet Mafia - the gay men that managed and influenced the music of the sixties and beyond (highly recommended) and have got sky sports news on in the background.
through the usual nausea of rubbish pundits masturbating furiously about the transfer window, they've just announced that Paul Pogba is signing a four year deal at Juventus, giving him a 300k salary per week.
Now I'm no fan of the premier league and rarely watch it, but even I know that he's had an awful few years at Man Utd, where the fans have been really critical of the input and energy he's put into the side. On the strength of this he's managed to negotiate this huge deal at Juve. It's made me think - what exactly is the appeal here? he looks uninterested and seems to play well only when it suits him. It must make him really difficult to manage and it totally appears like he dictates the terms. I can't make out whether this is absolutely genius to be so in control of your destiny, or if it makes you a complete rsshole to play when it suits you?
On the other hand, is the appeal to this 'superleague' clubs the marketable asset of having a globally recognised superstar a part of your set up - to the extent that the football he plays is completely irrelevant?
Obviously I'm not interested enough to check his stats and understand how important his input is, but it really seems like an odd conundrum that reflects the state of the game at present.....
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 22:08 - Jun 23 with 3045 viewsqpr_1968

i put him in the, how do you motivate a millionaire bracket.
he'll do enough to show he's still interested in the game, but, money talks.
don't know what wages they pay in scotland, but if he wanted to shine, go to rangers or celtic, where he can shine in a shite league.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 22:14 - Jun 23 with 3027 views100percent

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 22:08 - Jun 23 by qpr_1968

don't know what wages they pay in scotland, but if he wanted to shine, go to rangers or celtic, where he can shine in a shite league.

Still can't work out whether he is controlling his environment and performing when absolutely necessary, or if he just sees his media career as the be all and end all.
I assume one can't exist without the other, but you do wonder if when he looks back on his career (Probably onboard a yacht in the Bahamas) he thinks.... 'maybe I could have tried a bit harder and been consistently an amazing player....'
Odd character.......
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 22:52 - Jun 23 with 2941 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I suspect he doesn’t lose any sleep.

Total waste of his ability and the money spent signing and paying him for several years. United got mugged off signing him.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 09:50 - Jun 24 with 2692 viewsSonofpugwash

Just like tins of corned beef - not for eating but for buying and selling.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 09:56 - Jun 24 with 2684 viewsdaveB

He looks a really good player for France but never been impressed with him at Man Utd. He's not alone in that though Di Maria was terrible for them as well but really good everywhere else. His name and brand is certainly bigger than his ability imo.
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:22 - Jun 24 with 2645 viewsAntti_Heinola

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 22:52 - Jun 23 by PlanetHonneywood

I suspect he doesn’t lose any sleep.

Total waste of his ability and the money spent signing and paying him for several years. United got mugged off signing him.

It was a poor signing by United, but when you've won what he has I don't see a huge waste of his ability. When France won the world cup he was fantastic.
Didn't do himself justice at Man U, but also think he was appallingly managed.

Bare bones.

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:26 - Jun 24 with 2637 viewsHAYESBOY

Pogba is a player who thinks he can get by with just giving 75% effort as he thinks he is better than everyone else, so doesn't have to give 100%. No doubt a talented footballer, but attitude stinks.

Makes me laugh with them and Chelscum getting their arses slapped with Pogba and Lukaku.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:26 - Jun 24 with 2637 viewsLazyFan

He going to a slower-paced league so, he can get away with it.

He knows this as well so, less game, more money, less media stress, better weather so, paid in more stable Euro, easier life.

What's not to like?

zzzzzzzzzz

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:29 - Jun 24 with 2635 viewsslmrstid

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 22:08 - Jun 23 by qpr_1968

Slightly off topic but I always thought Adel Taarabt was made for the Old Firm. Whilst we loved him here, it was obvious he never had what it took off the pitch to make it properly at the very highest level (as his subsequent career showed!)

Therefore if he'd gone to Rangers/Celtic he could have played for the big club he always craved, whilst at the same time playing at a level that would have allowed him to slaughter everyone else each week because they just aren't very good whilst doing his minimal effort off the pitch thing. But he still would have been able to play in Europe every year etc.
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:48 - Jun 24 with 2613 viewsstantheman10

Who cares?
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:49 - Jun 24 with 2610 viewsToast_R

Would Alex Ferguson have re-signed him?
Not in a million years.

Man United are basically a super finically doped version of what QPR were from 2011 to 2014. Players now go there because they will get paid much higher wages than anywhere else and as a bonus, they don't need to try too hard because the environment is, the players are bigger than the club and certainly whichever sap they've brought in to try and manage them.

[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 10:54]
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 11:08 - Jun 24 with 2551 viewsAntti_Heinola

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:29 - Jun 24 by slmrstid

Slightly off topic but I always thought Adel Taarabt was made for the Old Firm. Whilst we loved him here, it was obvious he never had what it took off the pitch to make it properly at the very highest level (as his subsequent career showed!)

Therefore if he'd gone to Rangers/Celtic he could have played for the big club he always craved, whilst at the same time playing at a level that would have allowed him to slaughter everyone else each week because they just aren't very good whilst doing his minimal effort off the pitch thing. But he still would have been able to play in Europe every year etc.

isn't that what he's done at Benfica?

Bare bones.

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 12:05 - Jun 24 with 2477 viewsslmrstid

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 11:08 - Jun 24 by Antti_Heinola

isn't that what he's done at Benfica?

I'm not sure that he has, not in the same way. Happy to admit my knowledge of European football is very limited these days (oh for when I was 15 and had the time to obsessively play Football Manager and have way too much knowledge about the Genoa first team squad...)

But from what I've read he's kind of become a defensive midfield type, rather than the buccaneering flair player we were used to seeing? It also took him quite a few years bumbling around their B team/unremarkable loan spells elsewhere to actually start playing for them?

A shame because he has not had the career his outright talent should have had - but that of course has been covered in great depth before and no doubt will be again at some point.
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 12:20 - Jun 24 with 2423 viewsLythamR

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 10:29 - Jun 24 by slmrstid

Based on Adels performance up at Hull he would not have lasted 5 minutes in Scotland without signalling to be substituted
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 13:17 - Jun 24 with 2376 viewspaulparker

The best way to sum up this Pogba, Man Utd/Juventus merry go round is the episode of Only fools and horses where Rodney and Micky Pearce by the crappy old lawn mower engines

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 13:19 - Jun 24 with 2371 viewsMonkey_Roots

He'll probably do well at Juve.

Abraham and Lukaku tore it up going there after not looking so good here, whilst Serie A stars have come here and floundered.

Maybe I'm being a bit generalist.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 13:30 - Jun 24 with 2341 viewswalshy15a

A French Carlton Palmer
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 13:41 - Jun 24 with 2305 viewspeterlund_dk

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 13:30 - Jun 24 by walshy15a

A French Carlton Palmer

Charles-Tonne Palmier. Sounds like any 17-24 year old player these days.
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 13:46 - Jun 24 with 2290 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 09:56 - Jun 24 by daveB

He looks a really good player for France but never been impressed with him at Man Utd. He's not alone in that though Di Maria was terrible for them as well but really good everywhere else. His name and brand is certainly bigger than his ability imo.

Pretty much always unplayable when he sticks the French shirt on. Obviously couldn't be bothered with ManU which is fair enough of course. He'll be awesome at Juve.
Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 15:24 - Jun 24 with 2200 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Paul Pogba - Footballing genius or global marketable asset? on 13:46 - Jun 24 by Silverfoxqpr

Pretty much always unplayable when he sticks the French shirt on. Obviously couldn't be bothered with ManU which is fair enough of course. He'll be awesome at Juve.

Good post Silverfoxqpr ,Pogba just took the money and ran or did not run at Man Utd.There is some shocking chart on ESPN US showing the amount of "injuries " he suffered that cost him a massive amount of games .This hurt Utd 3 fold, not having him helping the team ,getting zero return on their huge financial commitement and when he did play he contributed next to nothing basically except destroyed chemistry of course not that there was much I suspect with that bunch of mercaniries .
As for playing for France its very common sadly.Even the greatest player ever arguably (Messi ) plays with a different intensity and drive / passion when he leads Argentina and you can see that across the board .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024