Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hottest Football Match you've been to? 15:46 - Jul 11 with 6296 viewsToast_R

Plenty of stories about the coldest and the wettest over the years but what's one you've been to either in the UK or abroad where you felt genuinely like you were going to pass out and wondered how the players found in possible to run around?

Mine - Birmingham City at home, opening game of the season 2000/01. So hot, some poor kid rejected his lunch the row in-front of us on the lower loft. The stench, oh God the stench. There was no escaping it. The match was terrible too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/875915.stm

[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 15:47]
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 15:51 - Jul 11 with 4046 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Home V's Blackpool front of the Lower loft first game of the season.

Toasty.

(no pun intended)
[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 15:51]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 15:55 - Jul 11 with 4010 viewskensalriser

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 15:51 - Jul 11 by Metallica_Hoop

Toasty.

(no pun intended)

Got to be this. Felt for the poor sods in the paddocks that day.

Was almost feeling sorry for the opposition in their all black kit by the time we got the fifth, too.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 15:56 - Jul 11 with 4010 viewsfinnranger

I'd have to go with Blackpool at home in 2003, when they were hilariously wearing an all-black kit.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 15:58 - Jul 11 with 4001 viewsPeterHucker

Toasty.

(no pun intended)

Yep, I was about to say the same match v Blackpool.
5-0 Ainsworth's debut, first match after losing the playoff final in Cardiff.

The other one that comes to mind was last game of the season 1999-2000 away at Pompey.
We won 3-0 or possibly 3-1. Langley scored a long range screamer at the far end.
Gallen came on as sub and scored a great goal as well (his last game before he left for Huddersfield)

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:05 - Jul 11 with 3935 viewsTheChef

Portsmouth game last day of the season (Gallen's 'last' game) in the uncovered away end was pretty damn warm.

By all accounts though that Blackpool home game was a furnace.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:08 - Jul 11 with 3910 viewsdaveB

Ipswich first game of the 97/98 season. Took my misses to her first ever game, very excited hyping up how great a forward like of Spencer, Sheron, Sinclair and Gallen was going to be. We drew 0-0 and she passed out through heat stroke. Not a great start really.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:09 - Jul 11 with 3902 viewsAntti_Heinola

Celtic friendly was it? I melted.

Bare bones.

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:16 - Jul 11 with 3869 viewsthame_hoops

Man City vs Chelsea charity shield… 2018, lower level at Wembley and it was sweltering. Left at half time
Login to get fewer ads

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:17 - Jul 11 with 3862 viewsDannytheR

The Lower Loft is a total heat trap - I used to sit in there when my son was younger, and the first home game of the season often took place in heatwave conditions that would see loads of little kids (and occasionally their parents) complaining of splitting headaches and feeling sick. (Insert joke about the actual football here.)

Seen more than one spectacular vomiting, with the poor lad in the Jude costume (who must already have been half dead) backing away in horror.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 16:18]
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:17 - Jul 11 with 3864 viewsTW_R

Toasty.

(no pun intended)

Definitely this. I believe that was the hottest ever day in the UK that day. Heathrow was something like 37.8c!! I was with E17 Hoop and we stopped hugging each other when we scored as we had shared far too many bodily fluids after the first goal.

They actually ran out of bottles of water in the Loft that day. I think that is the only game I have ever been to where the ref got a round of applause for stopping the game so the players could have drinks.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:18 - Jul 11 with 3857 viewsNorthernr

Blackpool was unbearable.

Oh I do remember playing Spurs in the last home game of the season mid 90s, Les scored twice just before he left, and it was so hot the back legs of the white plastic chair my rather large grandfather was sitting on outside The Goldhawk melted and tipped him out towards the bus lane.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:21 - Jul 11 with 3845 viewsqpr_1968

agree with blackpool in 2003....and a big crowd didnt help.

but this has to be my all time hottest match, good job there was only a couple of hundred.

semis against wba at highbury in 1982 took some beating as well.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:23 - Jul 11 with 3826 viewsTelford_QPR

For Rangers would be Blackpool at home - trains back were delayed due to melted tracks. Celtic at home was warm as well.

Hottest match would be Macedonia v Scotland in 2008 I think. Mid afternoon kick-off, 35 degrees, uncovered terrace, not refreshments available and we lost 1-0 🤣
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:47 - Jul 11 with 3746 viewsPinnerPaul

Blackpool at home probably the hottest, but as I was in ER stand, didn't seem too bad, MK Dons the other afternoon though I was definitely hotter then as we were in full sun all match, so personally that gets my vote.

Other notables for me Chepstow Racing - Coldest, Towcester Racing - Windiest, Newbury Racing - Wettest - abandoned after 5 races because the ambulance track was flooded! Hotter than both Blackpool and MK Dons was Hockey at the Olympic Hockey Arena - not for the Olympics, but that WAS hot that day!
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 18:02 - Jul 11 with 3649 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Malta 0 - 2 Éire

A concrete bowl in Valletta, a flu and a heatwave. We won 2-0, qualified for our first ever World Cup, and I remember not a thing.

I recovered for the party that night, though!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 18:04 - Jul 11 with 3645 viewsQPR_John

Toasty.

(no pun intended)

Has to be. Did Blackpool play in black kit
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 18:40 - Jul 11 with 3594 viewsSuperhoop83

Another vote for Blackpool at home in 2003.

We were about halfway up SA Road and the heat as the sun got lower and hit us was insane.

How they played in those conditions I'll never know, but what a great match it was.

Suffering since 1978.

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 18:49 - Jul 11 with 3573 viewsMedwayR

The Blackpool game, although Atletico Madrid v Sevilla in May with no shade was hard work too.

Also managed to do a late kick off Atletico game which finished close to midnight, may have been first game of the season, due to being summer. That was different!

Poll: Who’s better?

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 18:54 - Jul 11 with 3556 viewsflynnbo

Montpellier v Toulouse August 2012.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 19:07 - Jul 11 with 3525 viewsQPRSteve

Blackpool for me too. Was in the shade in ER but it was still bloody awful.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 19:23 - Jul 11 with 3503 viewsstowmarketrange

First home game v Oxford about 1997-98.I had to shield my ginger haired son from the sun that was beating down on the lower loft.
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 20:15 - Jul 11 with 3429 viewshantssi

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 16:05 - Jul 11 by TheChef

Portsmouth game last day of the season (Gallen's 'last' game) in the uncovered away end was pretty damn warm.

By all accounts though that Blackpool home game was a furnace.

Was at both, would say Blackpool.
Pompey away, open end sat on those wooden benches, Langley screamer, great day out and nothing on the game.
Night out in Southsea to finish it off!
Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 20:32 - Jul 11 with 3410 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mostly recent pre season friendlies that come to mind. Boreham Wood a few years ago and Harrow Borough last season.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 21:50 - Jul 11 with 3318 viewsloftboy

Cant remember the game but I think it was the promotion season 2011, was so hot in the west Paddock I went to the kiosk and bought myself and the kids a couple of bottles of water each, ( I never leave my seat during a game) by half time there wasn’t any left to be bought.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Hottest Football Match you've been to? on 21:55 - Jul 11 with 3300 viewsHayesender

Blackpool has to be the hottest, but honorable mentions to

Portsmouth away 97/98
The Chelsea "freindly" when Leroy Griffiths scored
Arsenal away first game of the season 91
And also the Palace 6-0 game was bloody hot if memory serves

Poll: Shamima Beghum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024