Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shakespeare 21:41 - Jul 23 with 3804 viewscolinallcars

Never rated 'im meself, you can stick it up your Corialanus.
Shakespeare on 22:58 - Jul 23 with 2500 viewsqpr_1968

nope, never been into shakespear, the only link i had to him was a pub going up towards queensway.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Shakespeare on 23:03 - Jul 23 with 2494 viewscolinallcars

Shakespeare on 22:58 - Jul 23 by qpr_1968

nope, never been into shakespear, the only link i had to him was a pub going up towards queensway.

Another pub called The Shakespear was along the A316 heading into Richmond. A Young's pub long closed and still standing empty. I actually do enjoy the Bard.
Shakespeare on 23:06 - Jul 23 with 2488 viewskensalriser

Robbie's not bad.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Shakespeare on 23:11 - Jul 23 with 2483 viewsTomS

I thought his fishing tackle was always fairly decent.
Shakespeare on 23:48 - Jul 23 with 2443 viewsQPsyR

loved his play about proper big nights out*
To E or not to E that is the question

*A mid Summer night at Cream?
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 4:34]

FKA AcidPixie

Shakespeare on 01:20 - Jul 24 with 2386 viewsBoston

Mentioned on another board many years ago...there was a kid of Indian extraction in the year below me at school called William Shakespeare.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Shakespeare on 07:15 - Jul 24 with 2314 viewshubble

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare on 07:22 - Jul 24 with 2296 viewsdmm

Ever since my English teacher took me and a few others to see Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet way, way back in the day, I've loved the Bard. Mind you, Olivia Hussey helped a bit too.
Login to get fewer ads

Shakespeare on 07:51 - Jul 24 with 2284 viewsEsox_Lucius

"you can stick your bubbling cauldron up your ar..."
Ooops! I thought this was the Shakespeare's favourite footy chants at plays thread.

The grass is always greener.

Shakespeare on 08:14 - Jul 24 with 2270 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I always love a bit of cross-thread fertilisation. So an entrant for the worst film thread: the massively over acted luvvies vvankfest, that was Branagh’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing’. A film that did for Shakespeare what Bomber Harris did for Dresden.

As for Shakespeare himself, talented boy but he ‘borrowed heavily’ from the Greeks. I see him as more Noel Gallagher, as opposed to Yannis Lennonopolos.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Shakespeare on 09:31 - Jul 24 with 2221 viewsDWQPR

I am a regular at the Globe, and you don’t have to be heavily into Shakespeare to enjoy a play there. Just read the synopsis beforehand, get familiar with the characters and get involved and for as little as £7 you won’t be disappointed. I mean where else in London can you enjoy a night out for less than a tenner? Saw Julius Caesar last week, and although it was not done in the costume of the time, and Brutus was played by a female, for a total cast of just eight people, it was very enjoyable. Next week, I’m off to see the Tempest. So all I say is don’t get put off by your school time experiences of trying to disseminate King Lear, get along and see for yourself. Shakespeare has no peers in influencing theatrical culture over the last 400 years and never will.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 10:26]

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Shakespeare on 09:36 - Jul 24 with 2212 viewskernowhoop

Shakespeare on 09:31 - Jul 24 by DWQPR

I am a regular at the Globe, and you don’t have to be heavily into Shakespeare to enjoy a play there. Just read the synopsis beforehand, get familiar with the characters and get involved and for as little as £7 you won’t be disappointed. I mean where else in London can you enjoy a night out for less than a tenner? Saw Julius Caesar last week, and although it was not done in the costume of the time, and Brutus was played by a female, for a total cast of just eight people, it was very enjoyable. Next week, I’m off to see the Tempest. So all I say is don’t get put off by your school time experiences of trying to disseminate King Lear, get along and see for yourself. Shakespeare has no peers in influencing theatrical culture over the last 400 years and never will.

Interesting DW. Thank you. The way Shakespeare was taught at school did nothing to encourage me. In fact, it put me off. Later in life (actually, a lot later) I can appreciate his work. Must go to the Globe one day.
Shakespeare on 10:31 - Jul 24 with 2157 viewsDWQPR

Shakespeare on 09:36 - Jul 24 by kernowhoop

Interesting DW. Thank you. The way Shakespeare was taught at school did nothing to encourage me. In fact, it put me off. Later in life (actually, a lot later) I can appreciate his work. Must go to the Globe one day.

I started with a comedy, Taming of the Shrew and I was hooked. I took my lad there earlier this year (the Sam Wannamaker Playhouse at the Globe - which is an altogether different but equally fantastic experience), to see The Merchant of Venice. He was transfixed. It also brought about some interesting discussions with him afterwards about issues of racism, bullying and anti-semitism. I felt that he had suddenly grown up. He has since been to see Much Ado About Nothing and MacBeth. And before you ask, yes he’ll also be at HQ on 6th August! 😂

Shakespeare on 10:49 - Jul 24 with 2147 viewsBoston

Shakespeare on 09:31 - Jul 24 by DWQPR

Would you be a 'penny stinkard', DW?

Shakespeare on 11:42 - Jul 24 with 2119 viewsDWQPR

Shakespeare on 10:49 - Jul 24 by Boston

Would you be a 'penny stinkard', DW?

I prefer the ‘luxury’ of a wooden bench in the galleries nowadays. Can be quite dangerous standing in the yard as it really is an extension of the stage and the players do not give a damn if you get in their way. Or you could get soaked (not by rain) or covered in fake blood. Went to see Titus Andronicus a few years back complete with chariots in the yard. I was front row of the top gallery and had a Birdseye view of the carnage below!

Shakespeare on 11:51 - Jul 24 with 2109 viewsdmm

A second vote for the Globe and very good advice from DW on attending a performance. It's a truly unique and thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Shakespeare on 11:52 - Jul 24 with 2110 viewsjohnhoop

Shakespeare on 09:36 - Jul 24 by kernowhoop

I know what you mean. I had to do “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” for GCE in the mid 1960’s. We were told it was a comedy but I thought it was about as funny as having toothache.
It was only when I saw Peter Brook’s production of the same play at the Aldwych a few years later that I realised it actually was a comedy and could be extremely entertaining.
Shakespeare on 11:58 - Jul 24 with 2092 viewsDWQPR

Shakespeare on 11:52 - Jul 24 by johnhoop

I know what you mean. I had to do “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” for GCE in the mid 1960’s. We were told it was a comedy but I thought it was about as funny as having toothache.
It was only when I saw Peter Brook’s production of the same play at the Aldwych a few years later that I realised it actually was a comedy and could be extremely entertaining.

I was fortunate to see Midsummer in 2013 directed by Mark Rylance. Was absolutely fantastic and the Mechanicals have got their own production this summer at the Sam Wannamaker playhouse as a ‘spinoff’, which given the intimate surroundings promises to be an experience.

Shakespeare on 13:07 - Jul 24 with 2052 viewsonlyrinmoray

Only did Twelth Night at school didn’t have a clue what’s it was about then Years later went to see an outdoor performance. at Brodie Castlle Finally understood it quite enjoyed it
Shakespeare on 15:15 - Jul 24 with 2020 viewsSonofpugwash

That's it - you're bard.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Shakespeare on 15:27 - Jul 24 with 2009 viewsBoston

Shakespeare on 15:15 - Jul 24 by Sonofpugwash

That's it - you're bard.

The Swan, its next door.

Shakespeare on 15:48 - Jul 24 with 1985 viewsDaBurgh

Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons. A guy by the name of Alexander Waugh suggests that Edward DeVere was in fact the author of everything attributed to the made-up Shakespeare. He has an interesting youtube channel that explains all, intriguing stuff
Shakespeare on 17:02 - Jul 24 with 1922 viewsderbyhoop

Saw Much Ado About Nothing in Stratford upon Avon.
Beatrice and Benedick played by Judi Dench and Donald Sinden. Fabulous entertainment.

Also saw an open air version of The Tempest whilst in Dublin. Never knew the play but enjoyed it loads.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Shakespeare on 19:11 - Jul 24 with 1832 viewsdoogi10

Most plays films are based on a Shakespeare play.s the scripts just modernised
Shakespeare on 20:40 - Jul 24 with 1787 viewsTacticalR

My take from a previous discussion:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/253802/3759123

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024