Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report 18:02 - Jul 31 with 5101 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58099
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 18:37 - Jul 31 with 4941 viewsaston_hoop

FWIW, watching on the stream I thought JCS was good and had it between him and Field for MOTM. Seemed calm in possession and always looking to pick a positive pass. Paal the only one of the new boys I thought looked really shaky. Richards was pretty exciting for a young lad who hasn't had a pre-season, certain he'll be a lot of fun this season

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 18:44 - Jul 31 with 4903 viewsNorthernr

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 18:37 - Jul 31 by aston_hoop

FWIW, watching on the stream I thought JCS was good and had it between him and Field for MOTM. Seemed calm in possession and always looking to pick a positive pass. Paal the only one of the new boys I thought looked really shaky. Richards was pretty exciting for a young lad who hasn't had a pre-season, certain he'll be a lot of fun this season

That's how I saw it too.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 19:05 - Jul 31 with 4800 viewsNoelmc

Thanks Clive.

Only saw the brief highlights on the TV so really appreciate your comprehensive report.

I'm a bit concerned to hear we are bringing everyone back to defend corners. I much preferred MW's tactic of often leaving two up, usually Willock & Chair. I really don't think Ilias adds anything defensively, as clearly shown yesterday by not closing down the shot, but it also means you are usually clearing the ball back to the opposition allowing them to maintain pressure.

With two left up, you force the opposition to keep 3 back and have some hope of keeping possession or even mounting a break when the ball is cleared.

It will be interesting to see if we adopt the tactic at home too.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 19:07 - Jul 31 with 4782 viewsstevec

Nice boys in a Northern League, this may not end well.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 19:26 - Jul 31 with 4737 viewsNorthernr

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 19:05 - Jul 31 by Noelmc

Thanks Clive.

Only saw the brief highlights on the TV so really appreciate your comprehensive report.

I'm a bit concerned to hear we are bringing everyone back to defend corners. I much preferred MW's tactic of often leaving two up, usually Willock & Chair. I really don't think Ilias adds anything defensively, as clearly shown yesterday by not closing down the shot, but it also means you are usually clearing the ball back to the opposition allowing them to maintain pressure.

With two left up, you force the opposition to keep 3 back and have some hope of keeping possession or even mounting a break when the ball is cleared.

Well I’ve always preferred that for that reason, and when you’re bringing everybody back and still conceding you’ve gotta wonder.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 20:57 - Jul 31 with 4497 viewsPhil_i_P_Daddy

Only seen brief Sky video 'highlights', but replayed the goal a few times and share your view about questions for Dieng. To be fair, from behind, he does move to his left before the ball bends in and goes over his hand/head.

Phil_i_P

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 23:22 - Jul 31 with 4086 viewsMyke

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 20:57 - Jul 31 by Phil_i_P_Daddy

Only seen brief Sky video 'highlights', but replayed the goal a few times and share your view about questions for Dieng. To be fair, from behind, he does move to his left before the ball bends in and goes over his hand/head.

Cheers Clive and kudos to you and your travelling buddies- an amazing effort. Must say disappointed with the way Shodipo faded, expected him to have more about him. We had that 'niceness' issue 2 seasons ago and then Chaz came back and stirred things up a bit. We need to find new leaders. If Stef can't do it, others like Dickie and Field need to step up.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 06:38 - Aug 1 with 3804 viewsnix

I agree about the players not moaning enough at ref's decisions. But FFS they're professional people doing professional jobs: surely they should be able to do them without having someone shout at them? It's a bit shit if we were in a restaurant and the waiter only brought the starters if we had a go at him a couple of times.

Aaaanyway, it was a bit same old, same old. The lack of passion worries me for the first game of the season. We normally start with some ooomph. I thought we'd have a bit of that with a new manager. Which is why I was surprised he didn't encourage the team to go for it against Palace. At this stage of the season we need that sense of belief more than we maybe need intricate passing moves.

I'm getting quite frustrated with Chair and the faffing around. Controversial I know but it slows the tempo down so much, I'd be tempted to drop him at some point in the season if he doesn't stop it. And he's also prone to shoot near post rather than across the keeper. Fine if you're in a great position and balanced, but not so great if you're having a punt and your striker is coming in on the other side and might have a chance at a rebound if you only play the percentages and shoot across the keeper.

I thought we looked best before the goal and after the second lot of substitutions. Worrying that our captain seems to be repeating his performances of the end of last season rather than the beginning. Also Adomah. Okay for Armstrong to be p*ssed off at not getting the ball in the right spot but I'd rather he channelled any frustration into playing with verve rather than slagging off his mates.

But. It was our first away game against a niggly, aggressive Blackburn side. Not our favourite type of team. We've got players to come back. If I was Beale, I'd be getting someone in to inspire them (maybe a certain England match winner who used to play for us!).
Login to get fewer ads

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 07:16 - Aug 1 with 3762 viewsPaddyhoops

Sounds like Groundhog Day at Blackburn yet again.
Last years defeat was depressing as it confirmed to me that we were nowhere near good enough to go up.
Hopefully this was teething problems and with a fit Willock, an incoming Danny McNamara and a somebody who resembles a striker, we can go forward with more optimism.
Looking forward to next Saturday!
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 09:11 - Aug 1 with 3529 viewsNorthantsHoop

Far too early to judge, we look like we are still in pre-season. Don't think we can judge until a few games in and Willock and Amos are playing again. If I'm honest not expecting much this season, other than hopefully finishing comfortably mid table. Defensively looked reasonably solid at Blackburn, but we are far too slow getting the ball forward and allow the opposition to get numbers behind the ball.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 09:12 - Aug 1 with 3524 viewsSuffolk

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 18:37 - Jul 31 by aston_hoop

I thought that Paal suffered from lack of inclusion by Chair. He was brought in for his ability on the ball and getting a good cross in yet Chair decided not to pass to him on a number of occasions when he had overlapped into space. I love watching Chair but his decision making is bloody infuriating at times and often costs us opportunities to get the ball in the box.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 09:51 - Aug 1 with 3419 viewsstanistheman

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 19:05 - Jul 31 by Noelmc

Thanks Clive.

I have always preferred leaving 2 players in attack too. As you say, Chair offers little by defending corners - he wouldn't be much use on a post either given his lack of height.

I was also unimpressed with the use of subs. Dykes offered little in attack yet lasted 77 minutes!

I expected nothing up there, but at least they could have put an ordinary Blackburn side under some pressure. Instead it was negative and slow not the high pressing game we were told this team would play. Perhaps the missing players are the ones who will provide this tactic when they get into the side.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 10:29 - Aug 1 with 3317 viewsWadR

Thanks Clive, good report and agree with all elements of it.

Re: Chair - I agree to some extent with posts in this thread that he holds onto the ball too long but think there's also lots of evidence over the last 3 seasons of him moving it quickly and dovetailing with Willock, Eze, Bright, Wallace really well.

I think he was hamstrung a bit by Paal being so reticent to come forward, so he was often doubled up on and thought Shodipo and Dykes were as much at fault for lack of movement as Chair was for lack of quick passing.

Second half was immensely frustrating and I have reservations about the narrowness of our shape coming forward. It's very reliant on lots of running and good quality crossing from our FBs. Even when Adomah came on, he was playing sort of a 10, would've loved to see him tight to the RW and stretch Pickering, who I thought was ropey all game, and sling crosses in.

Still, hopeful and looking forward to Boro on Saturday. Excited to see us in person and fingers crossed Willock is fit to start.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 10:40 - Aug 1 with 3281 viewsLythamR

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 23:22 - Jul 31 by Myke

Cheers Clive and kudos to you and your travelling buddies- an amazing effort. Must say disappointed with the way Shodipo faded, expected him to have more about him. We had that 'niceness' issue 2 seasons ago and then Chaz came back and stirred things up a bit. We need to find new leaders. If Stef can't do it, others like Dickie and Field need to step up.

"Must say disappointed with the way Shodipo faded"

Unfortunately that is what he does, I dont think he is ever going to be quite good enough for us because despite his talents he hasnt learnt to apply them effectively, if Beale can turn him into a real championship player then colour me impressed.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 13:33 - Aug 1 with 2903 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks Clive, not seen a minute's action, I can't watch repeats of us losing playing not so well, so a balanced report like that, by someone who saw the whole game live is greatly appreciated.

I guess its human nature to concentrate on the poor hour rather than the good half hour, but even so I leant a lot more from that report than 50 posts after the match on here - sorry all!

Now, as everyone would expect, I'm not a fan of players surrounding the referee, but you ARE spot on with player reaction 'helping' referees.

People hate to hear that buts its a fact.

One golden rule of refereeing is NEVER be the only person to see something.

IE A penalty that literally no on has appealed for, you're not going to give.
We all saw what happens in the early days of VAR in the PL when 'it' was giving penalties that no one had seen/appealed for- the whole system was ridiculed (yes, even more than now) and everyone in the game lost (even more) respect for the referees - both on field and at Stockley Park.

Sooooo, as you say, if the referee is unsure or more likely reluctant to make a difficult or match defining decision, he is NOT going to if no one on the oppo seems that bothered.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 13:34 - Aug 1 with 2900 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 06:38 - Aug 1 by nix

I agree about the players not moaning enough at ref's decisions. But FFS they're professional people doing professional jobs: surely they should be able to do them without having someone shout at them? It's a bit shit if we were in a restaurant and the waiter only brought the starters if we had a go at him a couple of times.

Aaaanyway, it was a bit same old, same old. The lack of passion worries me for the first game of the season. We normally start with some ooomph. I thought we'd have a bit of that with a new manager. Which is why I was surprised he didn't encourage the team to go for it against Palace. At this stage of the season we need that sense of belief more than we maybe need intricate passing moves.

I'm getting quite frustrated with Chair and the faffing around. Controversial I know but it slows the tempo down so much, I'd be tempted to drop him at some point in the season if he doesn't stop it. And he's also prone to shoot near post rather than across the keeper. Fine if you're in a great position and balanced, but not so great if you're having a punt and your striker is coming in on the other side and might have a chance at a rebound if you only play the percentages and shoot across the keeper.

I thought we looked best before the goal and after the second lot of substitutions. Worrying that our captain seems to be repeating his performances of the end of last season rather than the beginning. Also Adomah. Okay for Armstrong to be p*ssed off at not getting the ball in the right spot but I'd rather he channelled any frustration into playing with verve rather than slagging off his mates.

But. It was our first away game against a niggly, aggressive Blackburn side. Not our favourite type of team. We've got players to come back. If I was Beale, I'd be getting someone in to inspire them (maybe a certain England match winner who used to play for us!).

On the restaurant analogy - if no one complains aren't they just going to think the speed/quality of service is fine?
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 15:37 - Aug 1 with 2633 viewsnix

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 13:34 - Aug 1 by PinnerPaul

On the restaurant analogy - if no one complains aren't they just going to think the speed/quality of service is fine?

Personally I don't think the people that complain should get better service, no. I think the rule should be that everyone has the same service, regardless of complaints made and money spent. There should be decent assessors that regulate how well the refs are doing. You certainly can't rely on players or crowds to offer honest feedback!

Referees are paid to get their own decisions right. Some players/teams try and con the referee. If, as you're implying, the louder the noise the more the ref will be influenced, then they're just encouraged to con them even more.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 15:48 - Aug 1 with 2601 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 15:37 - Aug 1 by nix

Personally I don't think the people that complain should get better service, no. I think the rule should be that everyone has the same service, regardless of complaints made and money spent. There should be decent assessors that regulate how well the refs are doing. You certainly can't rely on players or crowds to offer honest feedback!

Referees are paid to get their own decisions right. Some players/teams try and con the referee. If, as you're implying, the louder the noise the more the ref will be influenced, then they're just encouraged to con them even more.

They ARE assessed, who knows how 'competent' they are, but literally EVERY decision - throw, offside, fk etc is judged in the top 4 divisions and the WSL.

The officials are sent this for every match and any KMI (Key Match Incidents) the assessor thinks they got wrong, they have to respond as to why they made that decision.

They are also marked by the clubs and the assessor.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 16:14 - Aug 1 with 2545 viewsMancR

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 13:33 - Aug 1 by PinnerPaul

Thanks Clive, not seen a minute's action, I can't watch repeats of us losing playing not so well, so a balanced report like that, by someone who saw the whole game live is greatly appreciated.

I guess its human nature to concentrate on the poor hour rather than the good half hour, but even so I leant a lot more from that report than 50 posts after the match on here - sorry all!

Now, as everyone would expect, I'm not a fan of players surrounding the referee, but you ARE spot on with player reaction 'helping' referees.

People hate to hear that buts its a fact.

One golden rule of refereeing is NEVER be the only person to see something.

IE A penalty that literally no on has appealed for, you're not going to give.
We all saw what happens in the early days of VAR in the PL when 'it' was giving penalties that no one had seen/appealed for- the whole system was ridiculed (yes, even more than now) and everyone in the game lost (even more) respect for the referees - both on field and at Stockley Park.

Sooooo, as you say, if the referee is unsure or more likely reluctant to make a difficult or match defining decision, he is NOT going to if no one on the oppo seems that bothered.

But he did see the 2nd yellow card offence, he went to his pocket then changed his mind- homer coward.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 16:37 - Aug 1 with 2510 viewsfrancisbowles

Another day that faded into disappointment after a bright start. I watched it on a stream but nothing to disagree with in your report and thank you for highlighting that defence was a big improvement, especially in the centre but that it started to fall apart as we moved forward.

Whatever, it's good to have you and our R's back and I'm looking forward to next Saturday.
QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 17:27 - Aug 3 with 1711 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR's annual Ewood Park defeat spoils Beale's big day - Report on 16:14 - Aug 1 by MancR

But he did see the 2nd yellow card offence, he went to his pocket then changed his mind- homer coward.

No where did I say if he saw it or not.

Clearly as he spoke to the player, he DID see it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024