Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here’s a thing 17:27 - Aug 4 with 2059 viewsenfieldargh

Is sea level the same the world over

Is the level of say the Black Sea and the pacific the same

The hawthorns is apparently the highest in England at so many metres above sea level

Is this compared to the nearest coastline or what

Am scratching my head

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Here’s a thing on 17:29 - Aug 4 with 1952 viewstoboboly

Seas are connected so all will be the same level. Somewhere like a lake could be higher or lower.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Here’s a thing on 17:32 - Aug 4 with 1918 viewsNorthernr

Tempted to do the old Brendan Rodgers trick with this thread - write down five things I think will happen and pop them in an envelope, open them at the end of the season to see if I'm right.
Here’s a thing on 17:38 - Aug 4 with 1891 viewsSouthallRanger

What’s on your list:

Tides/gravity/ pull of the moon/tilt on axis
Poles
Lakes/lochs/ponds at different levels

Then of course is the actual fact that the earth is flat, they can’t trick me with those maps and proof
[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 17:43]
Here’s a thing on 17:41 - Aug 4 with 1885 viewsDavieQPR

No. Sea levels are uneven mainly due to Ocean dynamics and the Earth's uneven gravitational field.
Here’s a thing on 17:50 - Aug 4 with 1855 viewsLanhoop

Here’s a thing on 17:41 - Aug 4 by DavieQPR

No. Sea levels are uneven mainly due to Ocean dynamics and the Earth's uneven gravitational field.

I seem to remember from a friends father who used to calculate tides for sailors that it's always average sea level, I think over several years, with each country having its own sea level. Think the UK's is measured in Cornwall but it maybe Devon at the old Naval docks.
Here’s a thing on 17:56 - Aug 4 with 1842 viewsHantsR

My thoughts on sea level. Not really the same as gravity varies around the globe (which isn't a perfect sphere anyway) and this affects the difference between Mean sea Level and the Geoid. Gravimetery and Mean sea Level observations are used along with other sources, increasingly from space, in complex mathematical functions to best map the Geoid, which is the shape formed by the gravity field. A long time since I studied all this, and could go on, but hope my attempt at a summary helps?

In UK, Mean Sea Level is nominally based on observations at Newlyn, Cornwall and that is a reference point for OS Mapping, It has been that way for many years.
Here’s a thing on 17:57 - Aug 4 with 1836 viewsBoston

Spot on.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Here’s a thing on 18:06 - Aug 4 with 1828 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Sea levels might be uneven but sure 'Sea Level' will be the same everywhere?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Here’s a thing on 18:30 - Aug 4 with 1780 viewsSuffolk

By providing such an intelligent and reasoned response so quickly you have ruined this thread. Not one single pun!
Here’s a thing on 18:39 - Aug 4 with 1763 viewsLondon_Pride

Here’s a thing on 18:30 - Aug 4 by Suffolk

By providing such an intelligent and reasoned response so quickly you have ruined this thread. Not one single pun!

You could say the thread has been left high and dry
Here’s a thing on 19:04 - Aug 4 with 1725 viewsstevec

I have the solution for global warming. Desalination.

As temperatures increase, the ice belts melt so if we suck the increased water out of the sea, desalinate it, not only do we bring the sea level back to where it was, we have water for everyone.

David Attenborough, eat my cheese.
Here’s a thing on 19:07 - Aug 4 with 1720 viewsDWQPR

Were flat roofed pubs designed for members of the flat earth society or as we think the filth from North Battersea? And are all the roofs of the same level?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Here’s a thing on 20:22 - Aug 4 with 1599 viewsLblock

I had the job of measuring sea levels all around the world once.

I was flat out every day

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Here’s a thing on 20:48 - Aug 4 with 1568 viewscolinallcars

Apparently, if you are six feet tall and you stand at the waters edge, the horizon will be ten miles away.
Not a lot of people know that.
Here’s a thing on 22:04 - Aug 4 with 1494 views222gers

Here’s a thing on 20:48 - Aug 4 by colinallcars

Apparently, if you are six feet tall and you stand at the waters edge, the horizon will be ten miles away.
Not a lot of people know that.

And apparently….. if you're stranded in the middle of the desert and decide to head for the horizon to find water, and you are right footed, after 20 miles you will have veered off to the left so far, you'll have ended up where you started.
Not a lot of people know that either.
Here’s a thing on 22:24 - Aug 4 with 1465 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Here’s a thing on 17:32 - Aug 4 by Northernr

Tempted to do the old Brendan Rodgers trick with this thread - write down five things I think will happen and pop them in an envelope, open them at the end of the season to see if I'm right.

"Time and tide wait for no man"

Was that one of them?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Here’s a thing on 23:51 - Aug 4 with 1391 viewsNewBee

To get back to the OP's question, as ever, the estimable "More or Less" from BBC Radio 4 has the answer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bsk11h

(The sea level bit is exactly 5 minutes into this 10 minute extract)
Here’s a thing on 00:02 - Aug 5 with 1380 viewsjohann28

So, because the surface of the Earth is not flat, the surface of the ocean is not flat, so the surface of the sea changes at different rates around the globe - so the absolute water level height is higher along the West Coast of the UK than the East Coast.

Going, politics now, UN reports refer to a “global sea level,” which refers to the average height of all of the Earth's ocean basins, and as a result of reports too many to mention, global warming people sometimes refer to "Global sea level rise' ie, an increase in the average global sea level trend.

Hope this helps.
Here’s a thing on 00:35 - Aug 5 with 1335 viewsMiss_Terraces

Here’s a thing on 22:24 - Aug 4 by CliveWilsonSaid

"Time and tide wait for no man"

Was that one of them?

Spackman and bummed in the gob

I'm guessing they were two of them

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024