Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MLS better than the Championship 14:24 - Aug 7 with 6294 viewsWegerles_Stairs

According to the future Everton manager, Wayne Rooney, "the football is of a significantly higher standard to the Sky Bet Championship."

Really?????
MLS better than the Championship on 14:33 - Aug 7 with 3937 viewscharmr

I went to a Philadelphia Union game recently against Charlotte FC and saw very little comparison with the 5 championship games I’ve watched this season, it was one game mind, and I haven’t seen Reading or Birmingham play yet.😃

MLS teams also are also using the term FC in their names but everyone here calls it soccer.

I know there a few rs in DC so maybe get together for a game.
MLS better than the Championship on 14:33 - Aug 7 with 3927 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Didnt Rooney have an operation to take hair from his butt crack and weave it into his scalp? Sounds like they might have weaved his a-hole into his gob as well.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

MLS better than the Championship on 14:46 - Aug 7 with 3837 viewsDWQPR

He could be the new ManUre manager by the end of the month. Great Sunday afternoon entertainment at Old Trafford so far.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

MLS better than the Championship on 14:46 - Aug 7 with 3828 viewsBoston

I would disagree with Mr Rooney.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

MLS better than the Championship on 14:49 - Aug 7 with 3819 viewsSonofpugwash

Well then if he f*cked up in the Championship what chance does he have in the MLS?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 14:50]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

MLS better than the Championship on 15:21 - Aug 7 with 3699 viewsPaddyhoops

MLS better than the Championship on 14:49 - Aug 7 by Sonofpugwash

Well then if he f*cked up in the Championship what chance does he have in the MLS?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 14:50]

He has to do something to justify his dropping a level to the MLS .
He’s talking complete Boll ox and he knows it!!!
MLS better than the Championship on 15:28 - Aug 7 with 3675 viewscharmr

Romney gets some anonymity living in DC, mentioned it in an interview I read. Probably lives in the DC suburbs known as Maryland.

A bit like why John Lennon moved to NYC😃
MLS better than the Championship on 19:39 - Aug 7 with 3404 viewsBoston

MLS better than the Championship on 15:28 - Aug 7 by charmr

Romney gets some anonymity living in DC, mentioned it in an interview I read. Probably lives in the DC suburbs known as Maryland.

A bit like why John Lennon moved to NYC😃

Well, if he's not going by the name Rooney anymore, I'm not surprised.

Login to get fewer ads

MLS better than the Championship on 20:11 - Aug 7 with 3358 viewskensalriser

Just creating a narrative to justify going for a PL gig in a year or two.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 20:57]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

MLS better than the Championship on 20:21 - Aug 7 with 3341 viewsNorthernr

I don't watch MLS so can't comment on that, but the Championship is crap. Like, properly crap. It's crap now, when they're all rested and the pitches are nice (not you Coventry) and it gets steeply, aggressively worse from here as winter and a totally unworkable fixture list sets in. Watch the highlights from yesterday's games, watch some of the goals scored/given away. Watch the goal Sheff Utd score against Millwall. Or Blackburn against Swansea. Ooooh we're going to play out from the back now, all sophisticated like. Yeh, alright mate.

It's a league of abysmal quality and pitiful standards, shambolically run and administered by the EFL, appallingly refereed, all of which hides behind it being 'competitive' - i.e. everybody's just as hapless as each other.
MLS better than the Championship on 20:41 - Aug 7 with 3285 viewsPaddyhoops

MLS better than the Championship on 20:21 - Aug 7 by Northernr

I don't watch MLS so can't comment on that, but the Championship is crap. Like, properly crap. It's crap now, when they're all rested and the pitches are nice (not you Coventry) and it gets steeply, aggressively worse from here as winter and a totally unworkable fixture list sets in. Watch the highlights from yesterday's games, watch some of the goals scored/given away. Watch the goal Sheff Utd score against Millwall. Or Blackburn against Swansea. Ooooh we're going to play out from the back now, all sophisticated like. Yeh, alright mate.

It's a league of abysmal quality and pitiful standards, shambolically run and administered by the EFL, appallingly refereed, all of which hides behind it being 'competitive' - i.e. everybody's just as hapless as each other.

I suppose it’s all relative.
I agree with you on the quality of the championship but were we not royally entertained yesterday?
Quality opener, dominant half hour . Great fight back and that joy of just about hanging on.
Throw in a raucous crowd and you have a decent package.
Willocks quality makes it all worthwhile even if we will end up watching dirge at various times throughout the season!
Watched a few MLS games . It’s nothing special and lacks the tribalism that we have.
MLS better than the Championship on 21:00 - Aug 7 with 3234 viewsVancouverHoop

MLS's big problem is that it's dull, in comparison to European and South American leagues. Without promotion and relegation there's little at stake until the playoffs, and there are very few longstanding rivalries. Players come and go without leaving a trace in most cases.

Where it has it all over the EFL (and other leagues) is in transparency. All salaries are public knowledge, and there's an increasingly complicated cap system.

Given the differing context, direct league comparisons are hard. LAFC and other current leading clubs would probably make a decent fist of it in the Championship. But most teams would be no better than average League 1 sides.
MLS better than the Championship on 21:13 - Aug 7 with 3202 viewsLandshark

I mean, I'm not agreeing with Rooney and I know they are just friendly games but this pre-season a couple of the MLS teams beat a couple of average Premier League teams, which they were beyond delighted with.
MLS better than the Championship on 21:40 - Aug 7 with 3143 viewsNorthernr

MLS better than the Championship on 20:41 - Aug 7 by Paddyhoops

I suppose it’s all relative.
I agree with you on the quality of the championship but were we not royally entertained yesterday?
Quality opener, dominant half hour . Great fight back and that joy of just about hanging on.
Throw in a raucous crowd and you have a decent package.
Willocks quality makes it all worthwhile even if we will end up watching dirge at various times throughout the season!
Watched a few MLS games . It’s nothing special and lacks the tribalism that we have.

Yes we were, and I'm midway through a report hamming that up to the maximum. But for that, you'll get 40 of our 1-0 defeats at Sheffield United last season which was one of the worst things I've ever sat through in my life - including funerals.
MLS better than the Championship on 21:44 - Aug 7 with 3133 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A reminder that Bradley Wright Phillips was top scorer and MLS player of the year last year.
MLS better than the Championship on 22:13 - Aug 7 with 3080 viewsdmm

MLS better than the Championship on 21:44 - Aug 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

A reminder that Bradley Wright Phillips was top scorer and MLS player of the year last year.

I just had to look up his age. He's 37.
MLS better than the Championship on 22:27 - Aug 7 with 3034 viewskensalriser

MLS better than the Championship on 22:13 - Aug 7 by dmm

I just had to look up his age. He's 37.

And obviously far better than Mitrovic.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

MLS better than the Championship on 22:30 - Aug 7 with 3030 viewsMatch82

MLS better than the Championship on 21:00 - Aug 7 by VancouverHoop

MLS's big problem is that it's dull, in comparison to European and South American leagues. Without promotion and relegation there's little at stake until the playoffs, and there are very few longstanding rivalries. Players come and go without leaving a trace in most cases.

Where it has it all over the EFL (and other leagues) is in transparency. All salaries are public knowledge, and there's an increasingly complicated cap system.

Given the differing context, direct league comparisons are hard. LAFC and other current leading clubs would probably make a decent fist of it in the Championship. But most teams would be no better than average League 1 sides.

Went to a game earlier this year. Neither team created as much as we did during the Blackburn game. Which if you'll remember was barely above fck all.

Portland Timbers vs Real Salt Lake, current league table has both of them as right in the middle. On that showing both of them would get turned over by league one teams
MLS better than the Championship on 22:50 - Aug 7 with 2975 viewsBoston

Put down the Peroni.

MLS better than the Championship on 22:50 - Aug 7 with 2973 viewsCamberleyR

I think the quality would improve if the size of the league reduced. As you say a 46 game season is mostly unworkable, four games more than the old second division ever played which back then when you still had multiple cup replays was probably too much.

What probably should happen, now that there's little difference in quality between the top half of the National League and the lower half of L2, is that eight teams from the National League should come up and we have four divisions of 20 below the Premier League. It never will because the L1 and L2 clubs would never vote for having four fewer home games and the drop in revenue.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

MLS better than the Championship on 23:32 - Aug 7 with 2882 viewsWatfordR

I think I understand where you're coming from. I've always felt that the Championship was 24 shades of average. The best teams were above average to greater or lesser degrees, and the worst below average to greater or lesser degrees.

I don't watch very much of the Prem at all, but the difference in power and pace as a minimum compared to the Championshio is, I think, night and day.

In my opinion, FFP has exacerbated that problem to some extent. Now the football, the product on the pitch, has become less important than meeting financial targets. It's not something we can pretend isn't really the case any more, the FFP league tables are published every year now.

Whilst I agree with the intention of FFP, I think the primary intention should be to ensure debts run up by owners cannot be loaded onto clubs. I personally have no problem if an owners spends oodles of his own money chasing a dream, as long as when it goes wrong, it's been his gamble, not the clubs.

Essentially, lower league clubs are no longer allowed to be run in a way that is ambitious. Know your place, know your role, and under no circumstances consider trying to compete with the big money teams. If you are going to limit ambition, what you're going to end up with is, the aforementioned "crap". Football for the sake of football.

Now, having said that, I have to tell you I enjoyed a lot of last season. I not only enjoyed a lot of our football, but I thought in general the football played by the opposition wasn't bad either, better than I expected to be honest. It was my first season back a ST holder for about 12 years.

What certainly disappointed me was the officiating, which I felt was just amateur to clueless in far too many cases. I always feel that if you don't really notice the officials they've generally had a good game, but way too often I've come home and ranted on here about what they've served up. Partly through rules that have been twisted from the commonsense to the convoluted in an attempt to make poor officiating "right" whatever happens.

You're also right about the administration, the nonsense with Derby should never have been permitted, and the idea that you can be handing out 6/9/12 point penalties at any random time of the season you like (or that suits) is just insane. Every season should start with everyone knowing where they stand for the duration.

The thing is though, the Championship is far closer in style to the old football that many of us older fans knew and love. The Prem isn't competitive, there's hardly even a pretence to be competitive about anything other than finishing top four. Do the top clubs really give that much of a sh1t whether they win the thing or not? I don't think so. Even relegation hardly matters, because you're almost certain to have a good crack at getting back up there in the following two seasons.

I appreciate many of the things that our club is trying to do, but let's face it, the most enjoyable season we've had for many a year was last season when they gambled a bit. And I don't think the club deserve to be pilloried for doing it. They saw an opportunity, went for it and came up a bit short in the end. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
MLS better than the Championship on 00:03 - Aug 8 with 2849 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I genuinely think the Championship is of a higher standard than 80-90% of other European leagues.

Leagues like the Eredivisie are League One standard after you take the Champions League prize/TV money winning sides out of it. I truly believe QPR would finish mid table in Ligue 1 (France).

There is a reason transfer traffic between our league and theirs only goes in one direction.

My criticism is the toil around the 35 games mark. Agree with Camberley that 46 (49 if playoffs) is mental.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 0:28]
MLS better than the Championship on 00:17 - Aug 8 with 2823 viewsSydneyRs

MLS better than the Championship on 23:32 - Aug 7 by WatfordR

I think I understand where you're coming from. I've always felt that the Championship was 24 shades of average. The best teams were above average to greater or lesser degrees, and the worst below average to greater or lesser degrees.

I don't watch very much of the Prem at all, but the difference in power and pace as a minimum compared to the Championshio is, I think, night and day.

In my opinion, FFP has exacerbated that problem to some extent. Now the football, the product on the pitch, has become less important than meeting financial targets. It's not something we can pretend isn't really the case any more, the FFP league tables are published every year now.

Whilst I agree with the intention of FFP, I think the primary intention should be to ensure debts run up by owners cannot be loaded onto clubs. I personally have no problem if an owners spends oodles of his own money chasing a dream, as long as when it goes wrong, it's been his gamble, not the clubs.

Essentially, lower league clubs are no longer allowed to be run in a way that is ambitious. Know your place, know your role, and under no circumstances consider trying to compete with the big money teams. If you are going to limit ambition, what you're going to end up with is, the aforementioned "crap". Football for the sake of football.

Now, having said that, I have to tell you I enjoyed a lot of last season. I not only enjoyed a lot of our football, but I thought in general the football played by the opposition wasn't bad either, better than I expected to be honest. It was my first season back a ST holder for about 12 years.

What certainly disappointed me was the officiating, which I felt was just amateur to clueless in far too many cases. I always feel that if you don't really notice the officials they've generally had a good game, but way too often I've come home and ranted on here about what they've served up. Partly through rules that have been twisted from the commonsense to the convoluted in an attempt to make poor officiating "right" whatever happens.

You're also right about the administration, the nonsense with Derby should never have been permitted, and the idea that you can be handing out 6/9/12 point penalties at any random time of the season you like (or that suits) is just insane. Every season should start with everyone knowing where they stand for the duration.

The thing is though, the Championship is far closer in style to the old football that many of us older fans knew and love. The Prem isn't competitive, there's hardly even a pretence to be competitive about anything other than finishing top four. Do the top clubs really give that much of a sh1t whether they win the thing or not? I don't think so. Even relegation hardly matters, because you're almost certain to have a good crack at getting back up there in the following two seasons.

I appreciate many of the things that our club is trying to do, but let's face it, the most enjoyable season we've had for many a year was last season when they gambled a bit. And I don't think the club deserve to be pilloried for doing it. They saw an opportunity, went for it and came up a bit short in the end. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Agree on FFP. In any other line of business, you can spunk as much of your own money as you like into it. As long as you don't ruin the club in the process I don't have a problem with that. Its actually made it less fair in that smaller clubs cannot hope to compete now. Yes you will get the odd Burnley, Bournemouth, Brentford that might go up and survive a few seasons kicking around the bottom half, but all eventually come back down.

As for MLS, have no idea, but sounds a bit like the Australian A League was a few years back where maybe the top couple of teams might have been lower championship standard with the rest league one and in some cases two. Its got worse since then though unfortunately.
MLS better than the Championship on 00:54 - Aug 8 with 2803 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Who cares about the MLS I just watched a 2 hour summary about Rooneys wife winning a libal case against Vardys wife and it was amazing.
I glanced at a thread on that subject on LFW this summer but never realized it could cost Mrs Vardy over 2 million pounds in fees and destroy her career (not sure what that means ).
My daughter won great seats to see the Chicago Fire a few years ago and the standard of play was very poor IMO.League 1 or 2 back then but today you actually have good creative players from Mexico and South America so its improved.
There is some Veteran PL and European players too and its watchable for sure
MLS better than the Championship on 01:10 - Aug 8 with 2790 viewsDavieQPR

In the MSL you're still considered a youngster at 30. Still tends to be an elephants graveyard.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024