Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What have we learned so far? — Analysis 17:08 - Aug 22 with 15694 viewsNorthernr

Well, QPR may not be making signings, but LFW is. Delighted to say that Dan Lambert, who we saw publishing excellent analysis on QPR on a substack last year, has agreed to do a series of pieces for this site through the season.

Here's the first, looking at early learnings on what Beale is trying to do/change. Give it a read, it's really good stuff, complete departure from LFW's usual beer stories and cock jokes, and it's a young and talented journo with a big career ahead of him who deserves your support.

@DanLambert_ on the Twitter if you want to give him a follow or say something nice.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58324

This post has been edited by an administrator
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:32 - Aug 24 with 1525 viewsSuperhoop83

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 12:46 - Aug 24 by Northernr

We currently have a fines system in place for arguing/surrounding/dissenting referees.

Have we stolen that system from Preston?

Suffering since 1978.

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:53 - Aug 24 with 1451 viewsNorthernr

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:19 - Aug 24 by kernowhoop

Surely that is the better approach? QPR to gain a reputation for questioning nothing; no shouting at or otherwise intimidating the ref; no pretending to be seriously injured when barely touched; no clasping at the head, tumbling to the ground when the head has barely been touched; no pretending to have cramp in the 80th minute when leading in the match and no claiming 'handball' when it clearly wasn't (the fans are just as guilty of that one, of course). It would be refreshing if at least one team would take a stand against all the crap that we see week in, week out. QPR could decide to take that stand.

I agree with you. Until I watch us deserve to get a victory away to Norwich, who went on to win the league, and the only reason we didn't is Cantwell, Farke et al screamed the empty stadium down all night over a series of increasingly ludicrous penalty appeals until the guy cracked and gave one. Where's our reward for good behaviour there?

Expecting it all to come back to us relies quite heavily on the standard of EFL officiating being up to scratch, which we know it is not. I'll tell this story again - an EFL referee who is a mate of a mate was asked about the chronic goalkeeper timewasting in one of our games that he'd had, few years back now. He said it was so bad it was "even starting to annoy me, but QPR never said anything about it so I left it".
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 14:07 - Aug 24 with 1371 viewsNorthernr

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:31 - Aug 24 by PunteR

I thought Myke redeemed himself a bit when he told everyone he's an unpublished poet..

Yeh, he's a funny guy, a good regular poster on here. But, like I say, he's never shy to tell me when he thinks I've got it wrong, and I read that and sometimes think he's talking bolox or sometimes think he's got a good point and I'll engage. Sometimes when you've done 16 hours round trip for a defeat at Blackburn and you crack 3,000 hungover words out Sunday morning and it's a comment about somebody not being worth a 6, or a detail being incorrect, from somebody who's watched the game on a stream, it can be quite demoralising. But that's what makes the site go round, there wouldn't be much of a message board if we all agreed, so I take it in the spirit it's hopefully intended and engage when I think he's got a point. Believe me I read, and think way too much, about every comment on this site. Am I right, am I wrong, should I do this differently, does this person have a point?

This time, I think he's wrong, and I've told him that. Judging by the comment section on the article he's "done" and we won't be hearing from him again, which would be a shame, and frankly a little bit rich of somebody who, like I say, is never shy to tell me when he thinks I'm wrong, to flounce off at me giving a bit back.

I think when a young journo has clearly put that much work into a piece, to just write the whole thing off as "thanks so much Dan but I've never heard so much bolox in all my life" is out of order. Nothing more than that, nothing less.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 14:31 - Aug 24 with 1254 viewstoboboly

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 12:46 - Aug 24 by Northernr

We currently have a fines system in place for arguing/surrounding/dissenting referees.

No wonder we're skint

edit: in all seriousness we have seen with regularity the bad decisions and the letters of apology we have received, we have seen other teams get precious points from being absolute shithouses and yet even seeing all of that we actively discourage our players to speak to the referee, even in a less confrontational way?

FFS. Deserve everything we get.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 14:38]

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 15:11 - Aug 24 with 1176 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Just want to add to this thread that reading this article through word for word three times now has completely changed my view on our season so far. I don't understand football tactics beyond the basic formation and shape stuff and to be honest I don't really want to. What I do know though is that certain managers have had quite a lot of success in this division in getting far more points across a season out of teams with similar - and in some case far lower - budgets than ours.

Our budget isn't going to suddenly increase any time soon. And even with a frugal attitude over 24 months will likely never compete with the top 6 or 8 or even 10 in this division. So if we're going to have a top 6 season we're going to need to find a way of getting more out of the squad we can afford than the sum of its parts.

To my uneducated eyes, Beale doesn't appear to have created some overnight marvellous brand of football that'll have us punching above our weight yet. Having read this analysis though it feels clear that there is far more technical nuance to a brand new approach than I ever understood. It's probably impossible to get a whole room of footballers to understand and execute those theories and instructions in a few preseason games and a handful of meaningful ones.

I guess the factors that will determine whether Mick Beale is a successful manager are; does he have the right tactical philosophy at the right times? And can he get the players to execute that philosophy?

Dans analysis here has made me see it's completely unreasonable to expect any conclusions to either of those questions yet and maybe we only see a few bright spots in the next quarter of a season or so. The fact that the club has recognised it needs to find a way of punching above its weight in the first place though I think is very progressive and exciting.

It's even made me feel bad (or wrong) for bitching about Lyndon Dykes for the best part of a week in his thread. The guy is likely almost having to learn brand new - potentially complicated - off the ball instructions which he'll have to adapt to.

Anyway I'll stop banging on - just thought it important to add just how much this thread has made me think and ultimately look at the fixture list with far less dread. Thanks again Dan and Clive. Much appreciated.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 15:42 - Aug 24 with 1081 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 14:31 - Aug 24 by toboboly

No wonder we're skint

edit: in all seriousness we have seen with regularity the bad decisions and the letters of apology we have received, we have seen other teams get precious points from being absolute shithouses and yet even seeing all of that we actively discourage our players to speak to the referee, even in a less confrontational way?

FFS. Deserve everything we get.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 14:38]

Andy Belk mentions it in the Patreon interview. They look at how a player interacts with the referee in the scouting process too. It’s a club policy and I don’t mind it really. Is there any actual evidence that it works against us over a whole season?

*Edit - Or in fact that sh1thousing benefits any team?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 15:55]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 17:00 - Aug 24 with 955 viewsterryb

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 15:42 - Aug 24 by CliveWilsonSaid

Andy Belk mentions it in the Patreon interview. They look at how a player interacts with the referee in the scouting process too. It’s a club policy and I don’t mind it really. Is there any actual evidence that it works against us over a whole season?

I've no idea Clive as to whether it benefits the clubs that pressure the referee, but it shouldn't!

In theory, a ref should get fed up with the moaning etc & give all the 50/50 decisions against them. At least, that is what i did!
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 17:30]
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 17:43 - Aug 24 with 848 viewstoboboly

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 15:42 - Aug 24 by CliveWilsonSaid

None of us want PNE levels, but from what Norf has said anecdotally it is costing us. Would I like it not to happen, yes. If it isn't being stamped upon should we be doing it to a certain degree, yes.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 17:48 - Aug 24 with 838 viewsR_from_afar

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 17:43 - Aug 24 by toboboly

None of us want PNE levels, but from what Norf has said anecdotally it is costing us. Would I like it not to happen, yes. If it isn't being stamped upon should we be doing it to a certain degree, yes.

Maybe Beale will have Uncle Albert teach the rest of the squad his fabulous butterfingers routine

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 18:05 - Aug 24 with 808 viewskernowhoop

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:53 - Aug 24 by Northernr

I agree with you. Until I watch us deserve to get a victory away to Norwich, who went on to win the league, and the only reason we didn't is Cantwell, Farke et al screamed the empty stadium down all night over a series of increasingly ludicrous penalty appeals until the guy cracked and gave one. Where's our reward for good behaviour there?

Expecting it all to come back to us relies quite heavily on the standard of EFL officiating being up to scratch, which we know it is not. I'll tell this story again - an EFL referee who is a mate of a mate was asked about the chronic goalkeeper timewasting in one of our games that he'd had, few years back now. He said it was so bad it was "even starting to annoy me, but QPR never said anything about it so I left it".

I understand, Clive, and that Norwich incident must have hurt. But, where will it all end? I would like to see impeccable behaviour given a try. It would show up badly behaved opponents and might (might!) help us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024