Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£32,000 per year 06:39 - Jan 20 with 17459 viewsraynor94

Should you be using a food bank?

It's come up this week a nurse has said that's what she earns and can't survive without a food bank.

A Tory mp has said on the airwaves that there is something wrong with her budgetin skills, in this instance i haveto agree with him.

And how does she get a voucher earning that type of money, thoughts?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£32,000 per year on 01:14 - Jan 26 with 1062 viewsDr_Parnassus

Important to note that the average first home purchase cost of £240k is also heavily affected by the London market place.

Closer to home for example you can pick up a decent first home in somewhere like Carmarthen for £130k

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/129821483#/?channel=RES_BUY

10% deposit will be able to be saved in 2 years on the above method of cutting back on coffees and alcohol alone.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

£32,000 per year on 03:02 - Jan 26 with 1075 viewsTreforys_Jack

£32,000 per year on 00:30 - Jan 26 by Badgeman

My post was facetious. I wouldn’t say you can’t make financial sacrifices on the purchases I’ve suggested but the problem isn’t young people having too many take away coffees which prevents them from getting on the property ladder. The problem is rising house prices have completely outstripped wages.

I agree house prices are relatively far more expensive than when I bought, but it's still very doable with self sacrifice. You need that deposit, then it's very very doable. What's the alternative, rent for ever with extortionate rates being charged.
Think we can probably agree, successive governments have let people down with house builds, but there is still so much individual financial mismanagement also.
£32,000 per year on 06:15 - Jan 26 with 1053 viewsraynor94

£32,000 per year on 01:14 - Jan 26 by Dr_Parnassus

Important to note that the average first home purchase cost of £240k is also heavily affected by the London market place.

Closer to home for example you can pick up a decent first home in somewhere like Carmarthen for £130k

10% deposit will be able to be saved in 2 years on the above method of cutting back on coffees and alcohol alone.

You can get a perfectly good first starter home for £130k within Swansea.

£32,000 per year on 07:01 - Jan 26 with 1027 viewsDr_Winston

£32,000 per year on 06:15 - Jan 26 by raynor94

You can get a perfectly good first starter home for £130k within Swansea.

A 30 second search on Zoopla identified 109 available properties for between £40k and £80k within a five mile radius of Swansea. Extend that upper limit to £130k and it goes up to 478.

Some will need work, others will be fine, almost all are immediately liveable. Depends how badly people want it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

£32,000 per year on 07:23 - Jan 26 with 1014 viewsTreforys_Jack

£32,000 per year on 07:01 - Jan 26 by Dr_Winston

A 30 second search on Zoopla identified 109 available properties for between £40k and £80k within a five mile radius of Swansea. Extend that upper limit to £130k and it goes up to 478.

Some will need work, others will be fine, almost all are immediately liveable. Depends how badly people want it.

Again, just like my first car that cist £200, my first house needed complete renovating, as well as a new roof, electrics, heating, kitchen and bathroom, this was done over the yrs. Like you say, depends how much you want it and what your willing to sacrifice to get it.
£32,000 per year on 07:25 - Jan 26 with 1014 viewsGwyn737

It’s obviously possible in specific cases but the point about it being much harder for this generation to get started than previous ones still stands.
£32,000 per year on 08:19 - Jan 26 with 989 viewsWhiterockin

£32,000 per year on 07:25 - Jan 26 by Gwyn737

It’s obviously possible in specific cases but the point about it being much harder for this generation to get started than previous ones still stands.

I think it all depends what your expectations are to "get started", the older generations expectations were much lower and were prepared to materially build a future. Today's generation, in general, are not prepared to settle for a very low starting point to work towards their end aim. There doesn't seem to be the patience.
£32,000 per year on 08:29 - Jan 26 with 983 viewsraynor94

£32,000 per year on 07:23 - Jan 26 by Treforys_Jack

Again, just like my first car that cist £200, my first house needed complete renovating, as well as a new roof, electrics, heating, kitchen and bathroom, this was done over the yrs. Like you say, depends how much you want it and what your willing to sacrifice to get it.

Same hear

Login to get fewer ads

£32,000 per year on 08:36 - Jan 26 with 952 viewsonehunglow

£32,000 per year on 08:29 - Jan 26 by raynor94

Same hear

Remember when people scrimped ,and went without ,to acquire things they needed,as opposed to wanted.
These days ,many it all and now .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

£32,000 per year on 08:39 - Jan 26 with 959 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

£32,000 per year on 07:23 - Jan 26 by Treforys_Jack

Reminds me of my first house, no kitchen just a sink and a freestanding cupboard. The roof needed to be jacked up and new timbers installed, the place was hopping with fleas when we moved in and was so stained with nicotine that the water turned brown when we took off the wall paper. We must have been mad to buy it.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

£32,000 per year on 08:52 - Jan 26 with 952 viewsFireboy2

£32,000 per year on 03:02 - Jan 26 by Treforys_Jack

I agree house prices are relatively far more expensive than when I bought, but it's still very doable with self sacrifice. You need that deposit, then it's very very doable. What's the alternative, rent for ever with extortionate rates being charged.
Think we can probably agree, successive governments have let people down with house builds, but there is still so much individual financial mismanagement also.

Relatively far more expensive?

I bought my first house in 1998 for 40k, its was an averaged price terraced house, I was on 20k so my mortgage was 2 times my wage, if I wanted to buy the same house now it would cost about 120k, which is 4 times my wage and I am in a decent job with a half decent wage.

In 1998 I could buy my house on my own, today I would struggle, the only way the younger generation can get on the property market is by sharing the mortgage.
£32,000 per year on 08:55 - Jan 26 with 943 viewsonehunglow

£32,000 per year on 08:52 - Jan 26 by Fireboy2

I bought my first house in 1998 for 40k, its was an averaged price terraced house, I was on 20k so my mortgage was 2 times my wage, if I wanted to buy the same house now it would cost about 120k, which is 4 times my wage and I am in a decent job with a half decent wage.

In 1998 I could buy my house on my own, today I would struggle, the only way the younger generation can get on the property market is by sharing the mortgage.

We bought ours utilising the figures of both our salaries which was the case with most couple. Mortgages based on both .

£32,000 per year on 09:26 - Jan 26 with 936 viewsWhiterockin

What was the mortgage rate then as opposed to to what it was up until the last couple of months and how much of your net salary was used to pay the mortgage. I remember a 2% interest rise in a day and it hitting 15% for me, it must have been about 8.5% in the late 90s.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 9:27]
£32,000 per year on 09:52 - Jan 26 with 924 viewsBoundy

£32,000 per year on 09:26 - Jan 26 by Whiterockin

What was the mortgage rate then as opposed to to what it was up until the last couple of months and how much of your net salary was used to pay the mortgage. I remember a 2% interest rise in a day and it hitting 15% for me, it must have been about 8.5% in the late 90s.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 9:27]

15% indeed which prevented me buying my first home but I was in renting so took it on board and waited until I could afford a mortgage . Like anything in life you can or cannot afford to buy goods whatever they may be . Renting has its benefits such as flexibility, predictable monthly expenses, and someone to handle repairs, no big deposit to find either

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

£32,000 per year on 09:52 - Jan 26 with 924 viewspencoedjack

£32,000 per year on 08:29 - Jan 26 by raynor94

Same hear

& here.

Most properties I have bought since (including the last one) needed work.

Both my kids houses needed a fair bit doing to them.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 9:53]
£32,000 per year on 10:16 - Jan 26 with 892 viewsonehunglow

It’s also worth bearing in mind the fixation the British have about house ownership as compared with continentals who rather rent .

£32,000 per year on 10:35 - Jan 26 with 882 viewsBadgeman

Did you look at any of those properties available? I had a look at the filters you suggested but took out 1 bedroom properties as they aren’t any use to young people trying to start a family. That number drops to 370. I had a scan through from cheapest to most expensive and I think I’d barely counted 20 properties under 100k that were in a liveable condition on purchase. And I don’t mean decorated, I mean liveable. Most of those properties needed substantial remodelling ie new kitchen, bathroom, carpets etc.

For you to suggest “most are liveable” tells me you didn’t look. But it’s funny you’ve highlighted how broken the system is and you can just shrug it off. Even if you search properties in all of Swansea and then increase the radius by 5+ miles you’re left with a handful of poor condition properties available for 100k or less. So yeah if you’ve only got a 10k deposit you can buy a house in Swansea which will likely need at least another 10k spent on it to modernise it, and as long we are counting port Talbot and Kidwelly as Swansea.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

£32,000 per year on 11:07 - Jan 26 with 873 viewsraynor94

£32,000 per year on 10:35 - Jan 26 by Badgeman

Did you look at any of those properties available? I had a look at the filters you suggested but took out 1 bedroom properties as they aren’t any use to young people trying to start a family. That number drops to 370. I had a scan through from cheapest to most expensive and I think I’d barely counted 20 properties under 100k that were in a liveable condition on purchase. And I don’t mean decorated, I mean liveable. Most of those properties needed substantial remodelling ie new kitchen, bathroom, carpets etc.

For you to suggest “most are liveable” tells me you didn’t look. But it’s funny you’ve highlighted how broken the system is and you can just shrug it off. Even if you search properties in all of Swansea and then increase the radius by 5+ miles you’re left with a handful of poor condition properties available for 100k or less. So yeah if you’ve only got a 10k deposit you can buy a house in Swansea which will likely need at least another 10k spent on it to modernise it, and as long we are counting port Talbot and Kidwelly as Swansea.

But buying run down terraced housing and doing them up was how a lot of people started off in the 70s and 80s me included.

But at that time there were generous grants available which undoubtedly helped.

£32,000 per year on 11:15 - Jan 26 with 858 viewsmajorraglan

£32,000 per year on 01:14 - Jan 26 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s a fair point, but wages in Wales - particularly south west wales are much lower than the national average do it’s a case of swings and roundabouts. Carmarthen is very expensive compared to other areas of the county, Llanelli and Ammanford are much cheaper.
£32,000 per year on 11:19 - Jan 26 with 847 viewsBryanSwan

I think the issue is everyone likes to claim how hard they had and how much effort it took them to do X,Y,Z. The figures however are set in stone and prove that housing is less affordable now than anytime in the last 50 years.

Can people work hard and buy houses? Yes. But is certainly much more difficult especially for those who are not able to live at home or rentshare. As a single person renting home ownership must be a pipedream.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

£32,000 per year on 11:31 - Jan 26 with 838 viewsBoundy

£32,000 per year on 00:30 - Jan 26 by Badgeman

My post was facetious. I wouldn’t say you can’t make financial sacrifices on the purchases I’ve suggested but the problem isn’t young people having too many take away coffees which prevents them from getting on the property ladder. The problem is rising house prices have completely outstripped wages.

Who dictates house prices , I suggest you take your anger out at house builders who sit on land with no intention of building which in turn increases demand and rises the prices of existing properties , a good example is Coed Darcy St Mowden bought the land with the intention of developing the site building a complete village , shops ,schools etc but work ceased much to the despair of the residents who were promised so much , now an isolated back water , now a submission by St Mowden to built 1800 new homes has gone to Neath council , the same blurb as the original .

edit spelling
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 12:12]

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

£32,000 per year on 11:54 - Jan 26 with 824 viewsBadgeman

£32,000 per year on 11:31 - Jan 26 by Boundy

Who dictates house prices , I suggest you take your anger out at house builders who sit on land with no intention of building which in turn increases demand and rises the prices of existing properties , a good example is Coed Darcy St Mowden bought the land with the intention of developing the site building a complete village , shops ,schools etc but work ceased much to the despair of the residents who were promised so much , now an isolated back water , now a submission by St Mowden to built 1800 new homes has gone to Neath council , the same blurb as the original .

edit spelling
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 12:12]

Not going to disagree with you there. Big developers are effing crooks.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

£32,000 per year on 12:34 - Jan 26 with 807 viewsTogg

Just take places like Bristol. Far more expensive than the Swansea area. Yes wages on the whole will be more but a lot of jobs will be paid at a similar rate. How some people afford mortgages in places like Berkshire, Surrey is beyond me. Mind you the Swansea area prices have increased substantially in the last two years. We are having 4 new builds built in our village at £650,000. Good luck to you if you can afford that!
Are parents able to help more with deposits. Many of them now are sitting on loads of equity, which they could and possibly do release to help their kids.
£32,000 per year on 14:08 - Jan 26 with 760 viewsTreforys_Jack

Not in disagreement, when comparing different generations and era's, everything is relative. As someone else said on thread, I shudder now when I think of the work I had to do to my first house, we lived in a bedroom, whilst the rest of the house was hacked off and replastered, it was that lovely black lathe and plaster . We must have been bonkers, but wanted our own place.
Been a good discussion fair play.
£32,000 per year on 16:17 - Jan 26 with 699 viewsSullutaCreturned

Our current gaffe was 95k and in need of work. We've spent about 10k on it and maybe another 5k will get it where we want it.

A lot depends on how willing you are to work and to sacrifice but even so, kids on minimum wage in unsecure jobs will struggle.
For this house we had equity from the last house for the deposit and fund to develop it and we are both in secure jobs though back when we bought my wife was working and I was in ill health and recieving my RM pension.

We were comfortable though. For a young couple just starting out it's not as comfortable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024