Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£32,000 per year 06:39 - Jan 20 with 16172 viewsraynor94

Should you be using a food bank?

It's come up this week a nurse has said that's what she earns and can't survive without a food bank.

A Tory mp has said on the airwaves that there is something wrong with her budgetin skills, in this instance i haveto agree with him.

And how does she get a voucher earning that type of money, thoughts?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£32,000 per year on 19:46 - Jan 20 with 949 viewsGwyn737

£32,000 per year on 19:28 - Jan 20 by lifelong

Our daughter is a full time TA in a large special needs school in Swansea, she loves her work and is totally dedicated to it.

She takes home £1150 a month, it’s nothing short of scandalous.

And it’s these wonderful people that are being lost from schools.

They are miracle workers and do not get the pay or respect they deserve.
£32,000 per year on 22:24 - Jan 20 with 866 viewsDr_Winston

£32,000 per year on 10:59 - Jan 20 by Badgeman

Most food banks like the Trussell Trust ones in Swansea operate on a referral system which means people can only access the service if they've been referred with a voucher. Referrals usually come from frontline professionals, doctors, health visitors, social workers, or charities and Citizens Advice.

The idea that food banks are just handing out a weeks shopping to the undeserving poor or whoever turns up is a nonsense peddled the right wing press.

About 30% true.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

£32,000 per year on 23:06 - Jan 20 with 842 viewsSTID2017

£32,000 per year on 19:46 - Jan 20 by Gwyn737

And it’s these wonderful people that are being lost from schools.

They are miracle workers and do not get the pay or respect they deserve.

Too right

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

£32,000 per year on 23:11 - Jan 20 with 841 viewsSTID2017

Without knowing her personal financial circumstances it is impossible to judge, surely ?
I doubt anyone would go to a food bank unless they needed to.
We have gone backwards in society to have a situation that these food banks are even needed.
Please don't criticise those that need to use them.
It is the Tory government who are to blame for their current existence

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

£32,000 per year on 23:34 - Jan 20 with 829 viewsmajorraglan

I can easily envisage a situation where a nurse would require the services of a food bank, particularly if they are in their 20s or 30s.

A Band 5 staff nurse salary starts off at £27,000 and increases to a maximum of £32,934 after a minimum of 4 years, that equates to a take home pay of £1729 or £1986 at the top of scale. If they’ve got a student loan you can knock a couple of hundred quid off the take home pay. Nurses pay (much like the rest of the public sector) has decreased in real terms by around 10% since 2010. During the same period house prices have increased significantly and the average house was in August 2022 selling for £296,000 - that’s between 9 or 10 times a nurses salary. Interest rates have started to go up and the Trussonomics debacle made things worse.

I know someone who purchased a property to help a relative, they have a £135,000 interest only mortgage on a fixed rate. They are currently paying £145 per month, when their fixed deal runs out the interest repayments will increase to between £620 and £690 per month and that’s without any capital repayment. Imagine the impact of higher interest rates on an even bigger mortgage or a repayment mortgage!

I was looking at house rentals in my area, a 3 bedroom house is anything between £850 (poor condition) and £1200 per month and that’s in West Wales. Factor in huge increases in electric and gas - £200 per month, council tax - £200 per month (over 10months), water rates, running a car to get to work, content/building and car insurances, telephone and if they’ve got kids there ain’t much left. That’s mental!

If someone has had their house a long time, has a small mortgage/ no mortgage I can understand why they could think this could be down to poor budgeting etc, as is apparent from reading the Daily Mail comments, but a lot of people who’ve bought their homes in the last 10 years are finding it very tough. I know interest rates are still much lower than they were in the 70s and 80’s, but borrowing levels are now much much higher and houses are more unaffordable than they were in the 80’s. People are borrowing more and paying more as a percentage of their incomes just to have a roof over their head than they ever have. It’s no wonder we have such a large proportion of people on state benefits, for a lot of people working doesn’t pay - which is crackers.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 0:18]
£32,000 per year on 00:08 - Jan 21 with 810 viewsSirjohnalot

£32,000 per year on 23:34 - Jan 20 by majorraglan

I can easily envisage a situation where a nurse would require the services of a food bank, particularly if they are in their 20s or 30s.

A Band 5 staff nurse salary starts off at £27,000 and increases to a maximum of £32,934 after a minimum of 4 years, that equates to a take home pay of £1729 or £1986 at the top of scale. If they’ve got a student loan you can knock a couple of hundred quid off the take home pay. Nurses pay (much like the rest of the public sector) has decreased in real terms by around 10% since 2010. During the same period house prices have increased significantly and the average house was in August 2022 selling for £296,000 - that’s between 9 or 10 times a nurses salary. Interest rates have started to go up and the Trussonomics debacle made things worse.

I know someone who purchased a property to help a relative, they have a £135,000 interest only mortgage on a fixed rate. They are currently paying £145 per month, when their fixed deal runs out the interest repayments will increase to between £620 and £690 per month and that’s without any capital repayment. Imagine the impact of higher interest rates on an even bigger mortgage or a repayment mortgage!

I was looking at house rentals in my area, a 3 bedroom house is anything between £850 (poor condition) and £1200 per month and that’s in West Wales. Factor in huge increases in electric and gas - £200 per month, council tax - £200 per month (over 10months), water rates, running a car to get to work, content/building and car insurances, telephone and if they’ve got kids there ain’t much left. That’s mental!

If someone has had their house a long time, has a small mortgage/ no mortgage I can understand why they could think this could be down to poor budgeting etc, as is apparent from reading the Daily Mail comments, but a lot of people who’ve bought their homes in the last 10 years are finding it very tough. I know interest rates are still much lower than they were in the 70s and 80’s, but borrowing levels are now much much higher and houses are more unaffordable than they were in the 80’s. People are borrowing more and paying more as a percentage of their incomes just to have a roof over their head than they ever have. It’s no wonder we have such a large proportion of people on state benefits, for a lot of people working doesn’t pay - which is crackers.

Edit -typo

Exactly.the lack of empathy on here is shocking. We need to look after the vulnerable in society
£32,000 per year on 08:09 - Jan 21 with 776 viewsjojaca

Edit -typo

Spot on, I've just had conversation with eldest boy who just starting his working life and have shown him all my household bills, he was in disbelief. I have told him to save while living with us, but I think kids are going to be living with their parents longer in this current climate.

I have a friend who bought house 4/5 years ago and told me he regrets buying house, his wage struggles to pay standard bills, if you were renting at least you would get housing benefit to help the rent.

Even when you know, you never know?

£32,000 per year on 08:34 - Jan 21 with 763 viewsmagicdaps10

£32,000 per year on 00:08 - Jan 21 by Sirjohnalot

Exactly.the lack of empathy on here is shocking. We need to look after the vulnerable in society

100% but we have to realise who the vulnerable are, too many playing the sympathy card especially in these strikes......many are pushing for more money when they already have a very decent standard of living on their wage.

There are people out there struggling, seems the dingle parents and ones living in certain areas of the UK.
I have feet in both camps with this one, it's not all it seems especially with teachers.....would like to see the break down on secondary scholl teachers and infsnt/primary teachers.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Login to get fewer ads

£32,000 per year on 09:07 - Jan 21 with 754 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Trouble is we get so much horsesh1t in the media.

This winter we were going to run out of fuel and there would be food shortages. The border force strike was going to close ports and airports. Electricity was going to be rationed, there would be no turkeys at Christmas etc.etc.etc.

The fact is managing on £32K is possible to live on or impossible depending on your circumstances. Sometimes you have good control of your circumstances and sometimes you do not. You can make a case either way in this example without knowing the facts.

As for the moralising " you are all a bunch of barstewards" going on on this thread, it reveals a predisposition to be condescending.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

£32,000 per year on 09:08 - Jan 21 with 752 viewswaynekerr55

The silence on widespread tax dodging and crony contracts is deafening too

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

£32,000 per year on 09:14 - Jan 21 with 740 viewsSirjohnalot

£32,000 per year on 09:08 - Jan 21 by waynekerr55

Absolutely. That’s who we need to be attacking.
£32,000 per year on 10:27 - Jan 21 with 721 viewsmajorraglan

£32,000 per year on 09:08 - Jan 21 by waynekerr55

Indeed it is. It’s noticeable there’s no thread on here about Zahawi and his recent dealings with HMRC, £3.7m in back taxes and a £1m surcharge on top - allegedly of course!

Had this been Drakers there’d be ructions.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 11:47]
£32,000 per year on 10:32 - Jan 21 with 715 viewscontroversial_jack

Exactly, but it seems to come from the same chatter time and time again.Very tiresome imo
£32,000 per year on 11:09 - Jan 21 with 699 viewsgadgetuk

£32,000 per year on 18:23 - Jan 20 by pencoedjack

No she should budget better, earning more than the national average of just shy of 28k.

If they choose to live in a house above what she/him can afford or has loads of kids that’s their choice.

Not forgetting they have a decent pension too look forward (as most who work in the public sector) & unlimited overtime.

Obviously not striking as they can’t afford loss of pay?

Where I live in south london (not one of the most expensive parts either) the cheapest 2 bedroom flat currently available to rent is £1500 a month, council tax will be around £180 and bills around £200 on top - so before you even think about buying food you have £1880 gone from your wage packet. £32k as a single income around here is food bank territory

Assuming she's on here own, the cheapest flat for rent currently is a 1 bed @ £1100 a month
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 11:12]
£32,000 per year on 11:22 - Jan 21 with 690 viewsGwyn737

£32,000 per year on 08:34 - Jan 21 by magicdaps10

100% but we have to realise who the vulnerable are, too many playing the sympathy card especially in these strikes......many are pushing for more money when they already have a very decent standard of living on their wage.

There are people out there struggling, seems the dingle parents and ones living in certain areas of the UK.
I have feet in both camps with this one, it's not all it seems especially with teachers.....would like to see the break down on secondary scholl teachers and infsnt/primary teachers.

Breakdown in what way?

If it’s breakdown on strike voting, you’re better off looking at the breakdown between England and wales.

Welsh teachers voted for strike action in a far greater proportion.
£32,000 per year on 12:42 - Jan 21 with 642 viewsBadgeman

£32,000 per year on 22:24 - Jan 20 by Dr_Winston

About 30% true.

Whatever you convince yourself to help you sleep at night.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

£32,000 per year on 12:48 - Jan 21 with 630 viewsraynor94

Edit -typo

I can remember my mortgage rate being 18% in 1981, 2 young children and no free childcare then.

Its all relative

£32,000 per year on 12:48 - Jan 21 with 630 viewsBadgeman

£32,000 per year on 10:27 - Jan 21 by majorraglan

Indeed it is. It’s noticeable there’s no thread on here about Zahawi and his recent dealings with HMRC, £3.7m in back taxes and a £1m surcharge on top - allegedly of course!

Had this been Drakers there’d be ructions.

Edit -typo
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 11:47]

That’s because they aren’t rational and a good handful of them are just plain thick. This website is full of threads of decrying the very policy outcomes many of them voted for. They got what they wanted and hate it so they have to ignore the facts and lash out at Drakeford, the council, people on strike, people using foodbanks, people fleeing war.

If conservatives were capable of self reckoning, we wouldn’t have conservatives.

£32,000 per year on 12:51 - Jan 21 with 628 viewsFlashberryjack

£32,000 per year on 17:37 - Jan 20 by Sirjohnalot

I’ll just say this.

I’m doing ok, I don’t need a food bank others do. I’ll support them and not judge.

It’s that simple.

There are barristers that use food banks.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

£32,000 per year on 13:00 - Jan 21 with 624 viewsSirjohnalot

£32,000 per year on 12:51 - Jan 21 by Flashberryjack

There are barristers that use food banks.

There definitely are, quite a few in the junior end earn less than minimum wage and why I voted against our deal as it benefited me but not them.

I’m lucky, mortgage is fixed around 1.3 till the end of it. Others aren’t as lucky
£32,000 per year on 13:09 - Jan 21 with 613 viewskrunchykarrot

There should be nobody going to food banks on decent wages over 32000, i keep getting annoyed with this as its always single parents with 2 kids etc. Where is the other parent.

I have been out on my bike previously waiting to cross bridge when i was asked where the local church food bank was, the pair of them had a joint of skunk and couldnt see the sign 20 yrds away.
£32,000 per year on 13:12 - Jan 21 with 609 viewsgadgetuk

£32,000 per year on 12:48 - Jan 21 by raynor94

I can remember my mortgage rate being 18% in 1981, 2 young children and no free childcare then.

Its all relative

What was your mortgage as a percentage of income back then - how much did your house cost relative to your income?
£32,000 per year on 13:18 - Jan 21 with 602 viewsBadgeman

£32,000 per year on 12:48 - Jan 21 by raynor94

Its all relative

How many times more expensive was your house than your annual wage? What % of your monthly income we’re you spending on your energy bill? Student loan? I doubt it.

It’s all relative except housing was quantifiably much much more affordable in the 90s than it is today. It was easier for you to buy a house than it is for young people today. Why does your generation have such a problem conceding this quantifiable fact?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 13:22]

£32,000 per year on 13:23 - Jan 21 with 595 viewsraynor94

£32,000 per year on 13:12 - Jan 21 by gadgetuk

What was your mortgage as a percentage of income back then - how much did your house cost relative to your income?

Obviously a long time ago, I had a £30000 mortgage, and earned about £140 a week if memory serves me right

£32,000 per year on 13:24 - Jan 21 with 592 viewsBadgeman

£32,000 per year on 13:09 - Jan 21 by krunchykarrot

There should be nobody going to food banks on decent wages over 32000, i keep getting annoyed with this as its always single parents with 2 kids etc. Where is the other parent.

I have been out on my bike previously waiting to cross bridge when i was asked where the local church food bank was, the pair of them had a joint of skunk and couldnt see the sign 20 yrds away.

You’re annoyed at people you perceive as being too poor to get divorced? Wtf.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024