Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The death of photography 22:15 - Jul 2 with 2174 viewsBoundy

As a keen amatuer photographer It was noticeable during my recent short holiday that imo traditional photography is in decline , with the advent of the phone camera there's seems to have been a sharp decline in the use of an SLR type camera body and lenses .The Main Street in Gibraltar for example normally teeming with shops vying for trade with windows full of cameras equipment at tax free prices now empty only to be filled with other electronic kit.
It seems everyone's a happy snapper or is it a phone call they're making , I can never tell

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The death of photography on 22:28 - Jul 2 with 2157 viewsbritferry

I can go thru my old photos, I have maybe 3 or 4 a year, school, holidays and perhaps a carnival.

Nowadays, they take 20 to 30 a day.

There was always fights in school, with some poor sole getting battered, now the same thing happens but 3 or 4 are filming it.

I can't remember the last time I took a film to be processed

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

The death of photography on 22:59 - Jul 2 with 2136 viewsonehunglow

Taking photos then off to Max Spielman was part of the holiday and one was excited waiting for them to be developed
I rarely take photos now
I have one of me in swim shorts on a Mexican beach which I keep for nostalgia

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The death of photography on 06:21 - Jul 3 with 2106 viewsjackal

I have a Nikon. All singing, all dancing camera. The point is that a good camera phone takes photos every bit as good as my camera.

I spoke to a wedding photographer who said that he takes lots of photos with his phone and takes his big camera because it looks more professional.
The death of photography on 06:48 - Jul 3 with 2094 viewsDr_Winston

The best camera phone in the World will not take photos of the quality of a decent DSLR & lenses in the right hands.

Camera phones are convenient, and sometimes that's what you need as they're a lot easier to carry around than a bag full of kit, and the quality is much improved in recent years, but it's not the same.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The death of photography on 09:53 - Jul 3 with 2028 viewsgadgetuk

The death of photography on 06:48 - Jul 3 by Dr_Winston

The best camera phone in the World will not take photos of the quality of a decent DSLR & lenses in the right hands.

Camera phones are convenient, and sometimes that's what you need as they're a lot easier to carry around than a bag full of kit, and the quality is much improved in recent years, but it's not the same.

But that's completely the point. I've had SLR's and DSLR's all my life. My son has a DSLR and a number of 35mm cameras he uses regularly however we don't take them with us everywhere we go as they are bulky and heavy. The camera on my phone takes great pictures and fits nicely in my pocket.
The death of photography on 10:42 - Jul 3 with 2014 viewsTogg

A good Canon DSLR with a Canon L lens or even a decent Sigma/Tamron, would blow any mobile out of the water. It's not only the mega pixel count, it's the way that the image is processed. If you were to print and enlarge an image from a mobile to say 20x16 inches, I would like to see how it would hold out. The Canon or DSLR equivalent would print beautifully.
To be fair mobiles have come a long way. However if I was traveling light and wanted to take some decent stills. I would opt for a good quality compact camera.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2023 11:54]
The death of photography on 11:08 - Jul 3 with 2002 viewsonehunglow

The death of photography on 10:42 - Jul 3 by Togg

A good Canon DSLR with a Canon L lens or even a decent Sigma/Tamron, would blow any mobile out of the water. It's not only the mega pixel count, it's the way that the image is processed. If you were to print and enlarge an image from a mobile to say 20x16 inches, I would like to see how it would hold out. The Canon or DSLR equivalent would print beautifully.
To be fair mobiles have come a long way. However if I was traveling light and wanted to take some decent stills. I would opt for a good quality compact camera.

The older I’ve got,the less contemporary photos mean to me .
I prefer to retain images in my head.
How many simply take photos,stick them in an album and then consign tHem to the attic .

The death of photography on 11:46 - Jul 3 with 1991 viewsBoundy

I'm fortunate to own a Canon DSLR (7D) and a few lenses and even though big and bulky I honestly believe the picture quality when images are enlarged are much better , camera phones are great for convenience but imo nothing beats a good quality setup .One good thing is for some just starting out is the fact that you can pick up DSLRs very cheaply , I have a second body (10D ) which still has the capability of taking good shots and can be bought now with a lens for less than a £100.

Login to get fewer ads

The death of photography on 12:06 - Jul 3 with 1975 viewsTogg

The death of photography on 11:46 - Jul 3 by Boundy

I'm fortunate to own a Canon DSLR (7D) and a few lenses and even though big and bulky I honestly believe the picture quality when images are enlarged are much better , camera phones are great for convenience but imo nothing beats a good quality setup .One good thing is for some just starting out is the fact that you can pick up DSLRs very cheaply , I have a second body (10D ) which still has the capability of taking good shots and can be bought now with a lens for less than a £100.

7D is a great camera. Beautifully built and great to handle. Also we need to remember whilst high end JPEG
images are excellent. If you use the RAW file setting the digital image will capture more information on it. Also you have the luxury of a couple of stops if you under or especially over expose. Where you are knackered with a JPEG. I used to shoot a load of transparency in the 80's on a Manuel TTL camera. You had to be spot on with your exposure. If anything slight underexposure to saturate the colours a bit more. Those were the days! :)
The death of photography on 13:28 - Jul 3 with 1938 viewsonehunglow

The death of photography on 12:06 - Jul 3 by Togg

7D is a great camera. Beautifully built and great to handle. Also we need to remember whilst high end JPEG
images are excellent. If you use the RAW file setting the digital image will capture more information on it. Also you have the luxury of a couple of stops if you under or especially over expose. Where you are knackered with a JPEG. I used to shoot a load of transparency in the 80's on a Manuel TTL camera. You had to be spot on with your exposure. If anything slight underexposure to saturate the colours a bit more. Those were the days! :)

When I was into Speedway,I bought a fancy camera with a long lens to capture first turn action but given the Shane after came flying into your face ,it soon lost its appeal.
I used to find it a pIn having to manually get the exposure etc right and it stayed in the drawer for years .

The death of photography on 14:00 - Jul 3 with 1930 viewslifelong

Took this photo with my mobile phone last week. I like it very much and are having it enlarged to a 12x10. Due to be delivered this week, I’ll report on the quality.
The death of photography on 14:04 - Jul 3 with 1923 viewsonehunglow

The death of photography on 14:00 - Jul 3 by lifelong

Took this photo with my mobile phone last week. I like it very much and are having it enlarged to a 12x10. Due to be delivered this week, I’ll report on the quality.

In fairness,that is beautiful and it’s hard to imagine a camera doing @ better job.

The death of photography on 16:03 - Jul 3 with 1901 viewsgadgetuk

Many camera phones allow you to save in RAW format as well
The death of photography on 18:43 - Jul 3 with 1859 viewsSullutaCreturned

I have a canon DSLR with a couple of Tamron zoom lenses. It hasn't been out of its bag in a fair while.

These days many people take a piture and post it straight to social media for all to see. We don't do that because it advertises when you're away from home, and I don't use those social media platforms.

A camera picture is usually good enough.
The death of photography on 19:05 - Jul 3 with 1843 viewsAguycalledJack

Not into photography but recently had reason to call into the camera shop in Carmarthen. It’s in an old converted chapel. Done a lovely job with the building. Anybody interested in cameras and photography it’s worth a look. They do photography training and classes etc. they said they are really busy but most of their sales are no longer over the counter but via the internet. Sign of the times.
The death of photography on 10:09 - Jul 4 with 1767 viewsjackrmee

Yea , but not everyone can afford a couple of grand for a decent dslr.
My old Canon is nowhere near the quality of my new iPhone. Editing done on the fly. Clipped and sent to friends or even the printers
Admittedly, you don’t get the zoom, but for every day photography, especially macro, I find it much much better.
Add to that, the fact that it’s always at hand and you don’t need 15 mins to set up a shot, it’s a no brainier.
And iPhone has nowhere near the best cameras in the smartphone market

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The death of photography on 10:11 - Jul 4 with 1767 viewsjackrmee

The death of photography on 12:06 - Jul 3 by Togg

Smartphones can take RAW images

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The death of photography (n/t) on 10:12 - Jul 4 with 1765 viewsjackrmee

The death of photography on 10:15 - Jul 4 with 1765 viewsjackrmee

Nice pic. I bet you could have made it a lot better as well, for printing purposes, simply by knowing how to adjust iso settings and stuff like that, just like on a dslr. Also you can take photos in RAW, so they are more editable (if that’s a word).
Smartphones really are a lot better than older dslr cameras IMO. Not the case if you spend a fair whack on one, I agree

The death of photography on 10:18 - Jul 4 with 1763 viewsjackrmee

The death of photography on 19:05 - Jul 3 by AguycalledJack

Not into photography but recently had reason to call into the camera shop in Carmarthen. It’s in an old converted chapel. Done a lovely job with the building. Anybody interested in cameras and photography it’s worth a look. They do photography training and classes etc. they said they are really busy but most of their sales are no longer over the counter but via the internet. Sign of the times.

Best camera shop I’ve ever been in.
Off road parking.
All staff know their shit. They literally won’t sell you anything without making sure you either know what you’re on about, or understand what you want from the item.
Can’t praise this place enough.

The death of photography on 10:38 - Jul 4 with 1758 viewsBoundy

The death of photography on 18:43 - Jul 3 by SullutaCreturned

I have a canon DSLR with a couple of Tamron zoom lenses. It hasn't been out of its bag in a fair while.

These days many people take a piture and post it straight to social media for all to see. We don't do that because it advertises when you're away from home, and I don't use those social media platforms.

A camera picture is usually good enough.

Tamron and Sigma are good relatively cheap lenses which imo are equal in providing great images I have two Sigma and one canon with an extender .
You're right about posting images direct to social media , mine are usually family ,wildlife and sport but purely for personal consumption .

The death of photography on 12:15 - Jul 4 with 1738 viewsswan65split

when I go away i take 3 or 4 cameras , noot expensive, and the missis throws a wobbly, but each one has its own individuality about them.

i used to do a lot, but mobility issues have reduced that, cant get off the beaten track now.
The death of photography on 17:12 - Jul 4 with 1711 viewsDr_Winston

The death of photography on 10:09 - Jul 4 by jackrmee

Yea , but not everyone can afford a couple of grand for a decent dslr.
My old Canon is nowhere near the quality of my new iPhone. Editing done on the fly. Clipped and sent to friends or even the printers
Admittedly, you don’t get the zoom, but for every day photography, especially macro, I find it much much better.
Add to that, the fact that it’s always at hand and you don’t need 15 mins to set up a shot, it’s a no brainier.
And iPhone has nowhere near the best cameras in the smartphone market

I use a mid-range Canon that cost me £800 (with my 400mm Prime lens it's about £1400 total), and is more than good enough for what I need. Like any hobby, whether it be photography, motorbiking, skiing, fishing or whatever, if you're that interested eventually you will invest in decent kit.

Smartphones have done for casual photography. The old 35mm compact for taking on holiday, the Polaroids and such. And that's fine. For those with a genuine passion for it they won't replace the proper gear. They just can't match the amount of input you can have in the finished product.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The death of photography on 19:45 - Jul 4 with 1689 viewsSullutaCreturned

The death of photography on 17:12 - Jul 4 by Dr_Winston

I use a mid-range Canon that cost me £800 (with my 400mm Prime lens it's about £1400 total), and is more than good enough for what I need. Like any hobby, whether it be photography, motorbiking, skiing, fishing or whatever, if you're that interested eventually you will invest in decent kit.

Smartphones have done for casual photography. The old 35mm compact for taking on holiday, the Polaroids and such. And that's fine. For those with a genuine passion for it they won't replace the proper gear. They just can't match the amount of input you can have in the finished product.

I tried to get into photography but it was another failed adventure. Spent about 500 quid, it was during covid, we already had a dog
The death of photography on 19:48 - Jul 4 with 1688 viewsKeithHaynes

Boots one hour photos, closest I got to dabbling.
But what a great end to your holiday, you had no idea what photos you had taken, and most were a mess.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024