Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread 19:18 - Sep 8 with 32064 viewsToast_R

Been looking forward to this and I think this year will be a cracker. Ireland, France, Bokke and All Black stand out favourites, I've a suspicion Scotland may throw it open on that side of the draw by getting something out of Ireland or RSA.

Tonight though, what a cracker open with; Hosts France take on The All Blacks. I'm going for the All Blacks to silence the Parisienne crowd. Or they could get pumped. 🤔
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:22 - Sep 9 with 2708 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:26 - Sep 8 by CLAREMAN1995

What happened to Farrell is a disgrace IMO and as his father said its pathetic that the governing body got involved .
Most knowledgable people figured a yellow maybe orange at worst but a red and suspension is a joke .
If Ireland win their group they face France that would end their dream the way France look tonight .

No, they don't. If Ireland win our group they face New Zealand
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:51 - Sep 9 with 2629 viewsderbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:37 - Sep 9 by stevec

What are all the penalties for?

Bring back VAR

Generally for offences that could be dangerous or slows the game.
Dangerous would be head-head tackles, like Tom Curry or collapsing a scrum. Slowing would be preventing release after a tackle.

I thought Curry's offence was yellow, because his stance was all wrong. Too upright. Could he have done more to avoid contact. Not in my mind. Surprised the Argentine got away with a yellow for what looked worse.

Incredible commitment from England + punishing Argentine errors.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 23:26 - Sep 9 with 2589 viewsdistortR

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:21 - Sep 9 by robith

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen. Argentina completely fell apart, legit Romania and Namibia were better than them today. England devoid of ambition. Zero line breaks, aimless pots at goal when two scores ahead, must have been a world record number of marks. When they meet a good team (or a referee who enforces offside), they'll be going home.

ITV trying to convince me it was like 2003. Lol. That team would've put 100 on that rabble today

England played it well, 3 points and a man down from the first few minutes, kept the score ticking over and the game compact. I think Argentina thought they had the game in the bag with the red card decision.
Elliot Daly wasn't on it, granted.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 23:47 - Sep 9 with 2562 viewsToast_R

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen. Argentina completely fell apart, legit Romania and Namibia were better than them today. England devoid of ambition. Zero line breaks, aimless pots at goal when two scores ahead, must have been a world record number of marks. When they meet a good team (or a referee who enforces offside), they'll be going home.

ITV trying to convince me it was like 2003. Lol. That team would've put 100 on that rabble today

The forwards will win this World Cup. RSA or Ireland have the advantage there.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 00:00 - Sep 10 with 2547 viewsHunterhoop

Think that’s a tad OTT, Rob.

England’s forwards were good day. Defence strong. Pressure off the line good. Scrum held up.

Sure, the backs ballsed up a a 5 on 3 and did nothing else, but Ford managed the game well.

They were playing with a man less all game, so you have to cut them some slack with the attacking with ball in hand.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 07:21 - Sep 10 with 2405 viewsPlanetHonneywood

As long as Borthwick doesn't do anything stupid and pick Farrell, England could make the most of being in the favourable side of the draw.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:19 - Sep 10 with 2316 viewsPaddyhoops

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 07:21 - Sep 10 by PlanetHonneywood

As long as Borthwick doesn't do anything stupid and pick Farrell, England could make the most of being in the favourable side of the draw.

I thought I’d walked in on a political debate with the ITV coverage.
Mark pougatch as main host has all the charisma of a wet flannell.
Dull.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:35 - Sep 10 with 2282 viewsstevec

It’s a strange game.

Last time I watched it was about the likes of Jonah Lomu scoring tries. That is surely what it’s meant to be about, takes a lot of teamwork and skill and the benchmark you’d think the game wants to put to the public.

Instead, most games look like they’ll be decided on penalties. Why put all the effort into getting a try when, like England last night, you barely venture within 30 yards of the try line, just win simple penalties without even breaching the half way line most of the time and with a fella who’s good at kicking the ball into an unguarded goal, you get to win the game.

As for TV coverage, can’t they try showing a slow mo replay of penalty decisions and with the aid of a pointy stick, explain WTF is going on for the uninitiated. There’s plenty of fannying about time they could utilise to do this and it’s not like that’d be unusual, practically every sport uses that capacity to integrate the public into an event these days.

Sadly I still get the vibe it’s a sport that’s more interested in keeping the riff raff out than engaging with a new audience.
Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:21 - Sep 10 with 2222 viewsderbyhoop

Most of the time the penalty reasons were given. Some of the technical ones aren't obvious to the casual watcher. I played at school, but the game has moved on so not every decision is understandable.

Got tickets for England v Chile in Lille on 23 Sep
And Georgia vs Fiji in Bordeaux on 30 Sep

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:20 - Sep 10 with 2166 viewsmikeygunn

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:07 - Sep 8 by mikeygunn

Won’t be surprised if we finish second in the group and out in the last 8. Happy to be wrong though!

Looking forward to hearing from the people who make the effort to tell us they don’t care about it…

Win the group and go out in the quarters. Happy to be wrong though!
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 12:41 - Sep 10 with 2099 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:20 - Sep 10 by mikeygunn

Win the group and go out in the quarters. Happy to be wrong though!

I think beating Argentina in the circumstances we did would boost morale. If they can build on it, then one assumes in all likelihood, it would be Wales in the QF, and the Aussies in the SF.

Either way, the team that reaches the final from our side of the draw, will have an easier journey than their eventual opponent from the other half. Which was a contributory factor in us reaching the last final in a slightly more battered state than the Sarfies.

As someone said above, the similarities with 2007 are there.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 12:49 - Sep 10 with 2090 viewsdenhamhoop2

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 23:47 - Sep 9 by Toast_R

The forwards will win this World Cup. RSA or Ireland have the advantage there.

As they do every World Cup the best pack and reserves win World Cups as winning rucks mauls lineouts and scrums allow the glory boys to strut their stuff. The madness of the way this World cup is set up England and Wales both have a better chance of making the final than Ireland as they are in same half of the draw as South Africa New Zealand and France and have to beat Scotland or South Africa just to get out of the group
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 16:51 - Sep 10 with 2013 viewsMrSheen

Bokke look like toothpaste.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:21 - Sep 10 with 1918 viewsted_hendrix

Wales V Fiji.

This Is some game.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:39 - Sep 10 with 1852 viewsrobith

Refs usually try and hide their flagrant anti-Tier 2 bias. Ignore a string of high hits, professional foul by Biggar in the 22, 4 penalties on the Welsh line, 2 by the same player than dish Fiji out one first offence. Absolutely corrupt
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:41 - Sep 10 with 1845 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:35 - Sep 10 by stevec

It’s a strange game.

Last time I watched it was about the likes of Jonah Lomu scoring tries. That is surely what it’s meant to be about, takes a lot of teamwork and skill and the benchmark you’d think the game wants to put to the public.

Instead, most games look like they’ll be decided on penalties. Why put all the effort into getting a try when, like England last night, you barely venture within 30 yards of the try line, just win simple penalties without even breaching the half way line most of the time and with a fella who’s good at kicking the ball into an unguarded goal, you get to win the game.

As for TV coverage, can’t they try showing a slow mo replay of penalty decisions and with the aid of a pointy stick, explain WTF is going on for the uninitiated. There’s plenty of fannying about time they could utilise to do this and it’s not like that’d be unusual, practically every sport uses that capacity to integrate the public into an event these days.

Sadly I still get the vibe it’s a sport that’s more interested in keeping the riff raff out than engaging with a new audience.

The problem was you watched Borthwick's England team
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:12 - Sep 10 with 1792 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:39 - Sep 10 by robith

Refs usually try and hide their flagrant anti-Tier 2 bias. Ignore a string of high hits, professional foul by Biggar in the 22, 4 penalties on the Welsh line, 2 by the same player than dish Fiji out one first offence. Absolutely corrupt

Fiji ultimately just didn't quite execute to the level to win the match, but my word there was a finger on the scales there. I love rugby, but the structural inequalities in the sport front and centre in that refereeing
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:55 - Sep 11 with 1624 viewsdenhamhoop2

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:12 - Sep 10 by robith

Fiji ultimately just didn't quite execute to the level to win the match, but my word there was a finger on the scales there. I love rugby, but the structural inequalities in the sport front and centre in that refereeing

Not only that non stop offside at the breakdown on their line yet warning after warning if it was the other way round penalty try and yellow card. Do wonder if Scotland now count as Tier 2 because the head tackle by Kriel was a clear and obvious red card offence not even looked at by either ref or VAR
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:41 - Sep 11 with 1537 viewsOldPedro

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:12 - Sep 10 by robith

Lots of strange decisions both ways in this game. High tackle by Fiji in the 1st half where a penalty was given and Wales player had to go off for a HIA should have been a yellow in under current rules; Fiji's 3rd try should have been a penalty to Wales for the hooker popping up out of the scrum.

On the yellow cards, Wales did get one after the ref issued a warning. The Fiji yellow was more of a professional foul, bringing down a driving maul which could easily have ended in a Wales try if the maul hadn't been brought down.

Lots of decisions could have gone either way - think the ref had a poor game overall.

But what a game - intensity and commitment from both sides and lots of great running rugby too!!
[Post edited 11 Sep 2023 10:47]

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:55 - Sep 11 with 1505 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:41 - Sep 11 by OldPedro

Lots of strange decisions both ways in this game. High tackle by Fiji in the 1st half where a penalty was given and Wales player had to go off for a HIA should have been a yellow in under current rules; Fiji's 3rd try should have been a penalty to Wales for the hooker popping up out of the scrum.

On the yellow cards, Wales did get one after the ref issued a warning. The Fiji yellow was more of a professional foul, bringing down a driving maul which could easily have ended in a Wales try if the maul hadn't been brought down.

Lots of decisions could have gone either way - think the ref had a poor game overall.

But what a game - intensity and commitment from both sides and lots of great running rugby too!!
[Post edited 11 Sep 2023 10:47]

Biggar committed a professional foul 5m out, not even penalised. Same Wales player infringes on the line twice in 3 plays, ref forgets he's even awarded advantage.

First half I thought Wales were getting a bit of a rub, but the second half was staggering.

Having given the yellow (after 4 penalties on the line lol), he then goes back to giving them a warning again when they start up again! I laughed, let me tell you.

Wales executed under pressure and Fiji didn't which is why they won, but the officiating stank and was all too much of a reminder how much for Tier 2 nations the game feels rigged
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:51 - Sep 11 with 1455 viewsOldPedro

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:55 - Sep 11 by robith

Biggar committed a professional foul 5m out, not even penalised. Same Wales player infringes on the line twice in 3 plays, ref forgets he's even awarded advantage.

First half I thought Wales were getting a bit of a rub, but the second half was staggering.

Having given the yellow (after 4 penalties on the line lol), he then goes back to giving them a warning again when they start up again! I laughed, let me tell you.

Wales executed under pressure and Fiji didn't which is why they won, but the officiating stank and was all too much of a reminder how much for Tier 2 nations the game feels rigged

I agree with you on those moments but you are ignoring the decisions he got wrong in favour of Fiji as well. I think he had a poor game but got key things wrong for both sides.

It's a pity that a great contest is being over-shadowed by a poor refereeing performance.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 13:46 - Sep 12 with 1289 viewsTGRRRSSS

Odd to consider the most terrible coach probably going is the All Blacks coach.

No team of any note would have given him a job, but somehow he got the ABs gig?

Improvements with Ryan and Schmidt but still, could even fail to get out of the group.

Ian Imposter indeed.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 13:52 - Sep 12 with 1264 viewsmonners1969

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 13:46 - Sep 12 by TGRRRSSS

Improvements with Ryan and Schmidt but still, could even fail to get out of the group.

Ian Imposter indeed.

Theyll easily get out of the group even with the defeat to France. Italy have never really got close the ABs.

Hoping they keep in the mire and the Irish can somehow win the group....

Off to Nantes on Friday for the Tonga game
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 15:14 - Sep 12 with 1205 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 13:46 - Sep 12 by TGRRRSSS

Ian Imposter indeed.

Just desserts for going out to bat for domestic abusers. No dickheads indeed, unless they're good at rugby I guess

Foster isn't just a bad coach, he has shattered the illusion of invulnerability. That's not easily reclaimed - ask Man Utd
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:36 - Sep 17 with 1047 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Watching another one-sided training game (SA v Rom.) and aside of Japan beating the Sarfies, in 2015 and maybe Wales getting done by Western Samoa years back, I'm struggling to think of any surprises in the group stages, -unlike the footy WC, where there's always a few shocks in the group stages. Rugby WCs are largely dull until the knockout phase starts.

If rugby really wants to broaden itself, we need to see promotion and relegation in the 6N, thus allowing the likes of Romania, Portugal and Georgia to develop, and Japan and the South Sea Islands to play (and retain their talent) in the Rugby Championship.

No point watching the second half of this, no fame to it at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024