Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 56619 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:22 - Sep 23 with 3934 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:56 - Sep 23 by QPRConor2000

This is why I think its points to us potentially buying up some homes around LR in order to expand the footprint of the stadium with the support of the council.

like you say you wouldn't be talking to the council for 2 years simply to knock through some office walls.

Realistically, you could buy up the whole of Imre Close, the Jack Tizzard School, all the flats in and around the School and the houses behind the SBS and you would be working with a 8.0-8.5 acre site

I could then see us then knocking down the current stadium and then basically rebuilding it to a modern stand, with the rebuilt LR having a capacity of around 20,000

I suspect that might be the route the owners might be exploring.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 12:33]

There are I think 23 houses in Ellerslie Road that are adjacent to the stand and each house split into 5 flats.
Before we start talking money, that’s up to 23 Freeholders and 115 leaseholders to deal with. That alone will take a lot of man(person)power to handle it all. What if some residents won’t budge?

For easy maths, let’s say each flat would be valued at £500,000 (maybe more as you’d have to pay higher than market value as part of the incentive) and multiply that by 115 which gives you £57.5million.
That’s before legal fees and so on and before help with relocation of residents, demolition and building the new stadium come into it.
By example, the Madjeski cost in todays money £94m so you’re 2/3 there already before you have even demolished anything.

Feasible, yes, realistic?…..

[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 20:19]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:14 - Sep 23 with 3835 viewsstowmarketrange

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:22 - Sep 23 by Juzzie

There are I think 23 houses in Ellerslie Road that are adjacent to the stand and each house split into 5 flats.
Before we start talking money, that’s up to 23 Freeholders and 115 leaseholders to deal with. That alone will take a lot of man(person)power to handle it all. What if some residents won’t budge?

For easy maths, let’s say each flat would be valued at £500,000 (maybe more as you’d have to pay higher than market value as part of the incentive) and multiply that by 115 which gives you £57.5million.
That’s before legal fees and so on and before help with relocation of residents, demolition and building the new stadium come into it.
By example, the Madjeski cost in todays money £94m so you’re 2/3 there already before you have even demolished anything.

Feasible, yes, realistic?…..

[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 20:19]

Luckily house prices are falling and we might get some change out of £55million
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:48 - Sep 23 with 3763 viewsslmrstid

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:14 - Sep 23 by stowmarketrange

Luckily house prices are falling and we might get some change out of £55million

Don't forget stamp duty! Taxman would get a fair wedge from that lot too.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:59 - Sep 23 with 3669 viewsQPRConor2000

I wonder if the idea is that the club buys up the Jack Tizzard School, move it up the road to where the Army Territorial Centre is and we end up building some kind of events centre/hotel where the school is currently and thats where we end up making extra revenue that way.

Also, we could end up maybe remodelling Loftus Road slightly perhaps as well, I think Portsmouth have done something similar to Fratton Park and that cost them £11.5m and they done it stand by stand.

This is what Ruben suggested about a year ago, if you skip to about 9mins into this video.

[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 19:26]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:24 - Sep 23 with 3508 viewsHoopsie

As far as I can tell from the video

- Linford Christie is dead and buried

- “redevelopment” will not be a complete overhaul but taking the existing and improve them for the fans and add facilities that generate revenue “stand by stand” (maybe, as per Reuben)

- capacity may not increase, nor will it decrease, as capacity is not a key driving revenue stream for a stadium that is used all year round ( at least a 100 days use, if not more)

- the club has approached the council officially regarding the LR redevelopment for the past couple of years
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 22:41]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:39 - Sep 23 with 3478 viewsHoopsie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:59 - Sep 23 by QPRConor2000

I wonder if the idea is that the club buys up the Jack Tizzard School, move it up the road to where the Army Territorial Centre is and we end up building some kind of events centre/hotel where the school is currently and thats where we end up making extra revenue that way.

Also, we could end up maybe remodelling Loftus Road slightly perhaps as well, I think Portsmouth have done something similar to Fratton Park and that cost them £11.5m and they done it stand by stand.

This is what Ruben suggested about a year ago, if you skip to about 9mins into this video.

[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 19:26]

I think the school land is a possibility

However, I don’t think buying ellerslie road houses is even a remote possibility - even you have the money - too complicated. I don’t think even the council will agree on persuading and coercing taxpayers and tenants to move for the sake of a football club.

However, improving the Stanley Bowles stand abutting these properties is highly possible. As I alluded to the “right of light study and part wall” feasible study, we already have had professional expertise evaluating this and coming up with workable options, it seems. If this is planned and worked with the council, it is quite a possibility

Not too far fetched speculation?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:46 - Sep 23 with 3404 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:39 - Sep 23 by Hoopsie

I think the school land is a possibility

However, I don’t think buying ellerslie road houses is even a remote possibility - even you have the money - too complicated. I don’t think even the council will agree on persuading and coercing taxpayers and tenants to move for the sake of a football club.

However, improving the Stanley Bowles stand abutting these properties is highly possible. As I alluded to the “right of light study and part wall” feasible study, we already have had professional expertise evaluating this and coming up with workable options, it seems. If this is planned and worked with the council, it is quite a possibility

Not too far fetched speculation?

I usually sit in the SBS AKA Ellerslie Road, when I do come to games and the concourse area there I think can certainty be improved, maybe the idea is that we extend the concourse areas there and we do it by perhaps buying a small part of their back gardens, we could also do the same in the Loft End.

I think the idea of us buying up the Jack Tizzard School and maybe building some kind of events centre/hotel there which the club owns could be something that happens, this would allow the club to perhaps generate more revenue outside of matchday, maybe the club could also hold some social events there including the end of season awards, which is something that hasn't happened for years.

My guess is that we are perhaps also looking to see what is possible within the existing stadium bowl, Ruben did hint last year that we were looking at remodelling the stadium stand by stand, so potentially it would perhaps allow for more modern facilities so its more attractive for non-matchday uses, I wonder if the idea of making the School End and the Loft Ends into similar stands like the SBS is something that is being looked at, I mean if you done it to the School End then you would have the ability to split home and away fans ether by only giving them 1/4 of the stand, 1/2 the stand or the whole of the stand, this would get maximum usage out the stadium compared to now.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 03:14 - Sep 24 with 3280 viewsHoopsie

I am wondering what the club would do to add facilities that generate revenue that give all year round usage

Facilities - corporate boxes (existing - renovated and / or new ones added)
- company functions
- seminars and talks
- wedding receptions
- local communities social events

These can be accommodated in South Africa stand due to street front access and traffic flow

Pitch - not sure we really want other usages other than sporting ones (pitch maintenance etc)
- international football matches or other friendlies, cup matches
- other sports - rugby, cricket, baseball, American football / Aussie rules, bocce, lawn bowl, softball
- music festivals
- boxing matches
- exhibition?
- community function - farmers market? Antique fairs?

If school land is purchased we could build a variety of function rooms and conference halls for these events, also maybe specific uses such as
- boutique hotel / guest serviced apartment / Travelodge
- restaurant and cafes / dining halls for catering
- 24 hour fitness centre / gymnasium for local based membership
- theaterette
- QPR museum (Heston?) / hall of fame incorporating QPR club & gift shop (relocated)
- day care centre?
- multimedia hub - reading room / internet
- community multipurpose hall for hire
Probably an auxiliary building or a building annex connected to SA stand and/or school stand

If there is room for remodelling the stand we could convert the school stand into a semi-open amphitheatre by adding a mobile stage (retractable under the stand?) with its double tiers stand holding the audience which can host a variety of events such as
- concerts, song / singing contests
- staging plays and pantomimes
- choral events and oratory presentations
- open cinema
- seminars (fans forum, Ted talks etc)

Ok I think I should stop now 😬
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 3:17]

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 08:31 - Sep 24 with 3136 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:46 - Sep 23 by QPRConor2000

I usually sit in the SBS AKA Ellerslie Road, when I do come to games and the concourse area there I think can certainty be improved, maybe the idea is that we extend the concourse areas there and we do it by perhaps buying a small part of their back gardens, we could also do the same in the Loft End.

I think the idea of us buying up the Jack Tizzard School and maybe building some kind of events centre/hotel there which the club owns could be something that happens, this would allow the club to perhaps generate more revenue outside of matchday, maybe the club could also hold some social events there including the end of season awards, which is something that hasn't happened for years.

My guess is that we are perhaps also looking to see what is possible within the existing stadium bowl, Ruben did hint last year that we were looking at remodelling the stadium stand by stand, so potentially it would perhaps allow for more modern facilities so its more attractive for non-matchday uses, I wonder if the idea of making the School End and the Loft Ends into similar stands like the SBS is something that is being looked at, I mean if you done it to the School End then you would have the ability to split home and away fans ether by only giving them 1/4 of the stand, 1/2 the stand or the whole of the stand, this would get maximum usage out the stadium compared to now.

I love the enthusiasm and ideas but they’re just not realistic. I’m going to guess that by your username you’re around 23 years old? Have you ever bought/sold property? It’s a nightmare,(see the recent thread about this very thing). I’ve been through it a few times myself and that’s a flat and house. Something on this scale would be ten times more challenging.
You can’t just buy up bits of garden just like that, it’s a complex process and that’s just doing it once, this would need doing 23 times (maybe more if you add Loftus Road) and even then what if some people say no? You’d end up with a concourse that will have pinch points and I’m sure Health and Safety wouldn’t allow that so all it may take is just a one or two leaseholders to say no and the whole thing stops.

All these ideas people have…. digging down, buying all the Ellerslie and Loftus Road houses, building over SAR with a tunnel under the stand etc are all very well but just aren’t going to happen.
If the school relocates and we can get that land and use it for non match day events, maybe move the dressing rooms etc there too and players enter the pitch at the school end that’s probably the only option and then the only possibility are rebuilding each stand just as they are but to modern specs and maybe just about keep the same capacity.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 8:37]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:49 - Sep 24 with 3023 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 08:31 - Sep 24 by Juzzie

I love the enthusiasm and ideas but they’re just not realistic. I’m going to guess that by your username you’re around 23 years old? Have you ever bought/sold property? It’s a nightmare,(see the recent thread about this very thing). I’ve been through it a few times myself and that’s a flat and house. Something on this scale would be ten times more challenging.
You can’t just buy up bits of garden just like that, it’s a complex process and that’s just doing it once, this would need doing 23 times (maybe more if you add Loftus Road) and even then what if some people say no? You’d end up with a concourse that will have pinch points and I’m sure Health and Safety wouldn’t allow that so all it may take is just a one or two leaseholders to say no and the whole thing stops.

All these ideas people have…. digging down, buying all the Ellerslie and Loftus Road houses, building over SAR with a tunnel under the stand etc are all very well but just aren’t going to happen.
If the school relocates and we can get that land and use it for non match day events, maybe move the dressing rooms etc there too and players enter the pitch at the school end that’s probably the only option and then the only possibility are rebuilding each stand just as they are but to modern specs and maybe just about keep the same capacity.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 8:37]

That's probably what the idea is, we buy up the School land, relocate it and build an events centre/hotel there which the club owes and we generate the extra non-matchday revenue that way, you could potentially hold fans forums, social events and end of season awards there alongside conferences, music concerts etc.

I suspect also the club are looking at remodelling the current stadium, its something that you can do over a number of seasons and you could do it on a stand by stand basis too, so that helps with keeping the costs down.

Obviously there are a lot of ideas, and the fact that the council and the club have spoken for two years on this tells me that it simply isn't a knock through the office walls job, definitely suggests something slightly more major might be being planned in terms of LR

[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 12:04]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:36 - Sep 24 with 2901 viewsHoopsie

I think the key word to the stadium redevelopment will be “sustainability”. Ruben in the video a year ago and the recent fan forum emphasised he wanted the club to be sustainable. We built a modern training facility and academy at Heston, what about the stadium at Loftus road since we have been told (almost) categorically that we are not moving? We can’t just simply add some corporate boxes and facilities to bring in revenue whilst the rest of the stadium crumbles. That is not sustainable.

There must be some sort of plan to upgrade the stadium with modern functionality and such as leg room, line of sight, concourse (fire/emergency exit and assembly), toilet amenities etc. So at some point (in the near future) these will have to be addressed and I won’t be surprised they are working on these right now behind the scenes.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 12:51]

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:20 - Sep 24 with 2823 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:36 - Sep 24 by Hoopsie

I think the key word to the stadium redevelopment will be “sustainability”. Ruben in the video a year ago and the recent fan forum emphasised he wanted the club to be sustainable. We built a modern training facility and academy at Heston, what about the stadium at Loftus road since we have been told (almost) categorically that we are not moving? We can’t just simply add some corporate boxes and facilities to bring in revenue whilst the rest of the stadium crumbles. That is not sustainable.

There must be some sort of plan to upgrade the stadium with modern functionality and such as leg room, line of sight, concourse (fire/emergency exit and assembly), toilet amenities etc. So at some point (in the near future) these will have to be addressed and I won’t be surprised they are working on these right now behind the scenes.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 12:51]

Yeah thats what I think might be happening.

I can point to the example of Fratton Park where something similar has been going on where they have basically remodelled an entire stand from being a double tier to one big single tiered stand along with other improvements as well.

I think something on similar lines might be being planned.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:06 - Sep 24 with 2623 viewsnadera78

Thames Valley Harriers have announced that H&F Council have awarded £250,000 to lay a new track at Linford Christie Stadium. A skint council (they all are) wouldn't be doing that if there was any prospect of any kind of redevelopment taking place in the next 5 years.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:21 - Sep 24 with 2610 viewskensalriser

Maybe some more simple, less capital intensive stuff would be better to start - box park in the Loft entrance area that could be open every evening and and non matchday weekend lunchtimes, LBlock hosts Old School Sundays every week in the Blue & White Bar, weekly boot sale in the car park, annual conspiracy theory convention hosted by Northern. Loads of things we could do.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:24 - Sep 25 with 2433 viewswombat

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:06 - Sep 24 by nadera78

Thames Valley Harriers have announced that H&F Council have awarded £250,000 to lay a new track at Linford Christie Stadium. A skint council (they all are) wouldn't be doing that if there was any prospect of any kind of redevelopment taking place in the next 5 years.

thing is it would take longer than five years for anything to get built at LC donrt forget the scrubs is gov land so would have that to contend wiith as well as local residents , east acton station will never be big enough to use on macth days and is locked in on all side by houses etc, it would be utter chaos on a match day.

our best bet is buy the school , relocate that to the Ta centre.

build deeper stands at the loft and school end and add dome corporte behind both the school end .

one issue which nobosy seems to have mentioned was the club/ ground used to have a restrictive covenant on it for the ampounf ot times it can be used each year think it was 30 times , is this still in place ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:57 - Sep 25 with 2356 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:24 - Sep 25 by wombat

thing is it would take longer than five years for anything to get built at LC donrt forget the scrubs is gov land so would have that to contend wiith as well as local residents , east acton station will never be big enough to use on macth days and is locked in on all side by houses etc, it would be utter chaos on a match day.

our best bet is buy the school , relocate that to the Ta centre.

build deeper stands at the loft and school end and add dome corporte behind both the school end .

one issue which nobosy seems to have mentioned was the club/ ground used to have a restrictive covenant on it for the ampounf ot times it can be used each year think it was 30 times , is this still in place ?

The box office and club shop are open more than 30 days a year so assume that's just for on pitch activities.

Do you think the 30 day restriction is why we immediately exit all the cup competitions, to keep the council on side?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:12 - Sep 25 with 2294 viewsslmrstid

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:21 - Sep 24 by kensalriser

Maybe some more simple, less capital intensive stuff would be better to start - box park in the Loft entrance area that could be open every evening and and non matchday weekend lunchtimes, LBlock hosts Old School Sundays every week in the Blue & White Bar, weekly boot sale in the car park, annual conspiracy theory convention hosted by Northern. Loads of things we could do.

I cycle near-ish the Leicestershire County Cricket Club ground every day on my way to and from work and I was actually thinking about this a bit this morning. Every summer, outside of cricket games, they host loads of events at the cricket ground. Outdoor cinemas, music gigs (they had Tom Jones this summer, but also had a night of 80s/90s cover bands so a mix of high profile and low profile events). But they all sell really well and is a decent money maker for them.

Now, obviously on the outdoor concert scene QPR are not going to compete with big London stadiums for big names. But I'm sure they could still do lower profile music events that would fit in with our local demographic and sell well. And the outdoor cinema bit. Maybe not the summer just gone with the pitch relay but get some matting down and you won't damage the pitch that much by holding a few money making events like that over the summer.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:16 - Sep 25 with 2265 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Latymer are moving from Wood Lane. I doubt we could afford it now though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:24 - Sep 25 with 2211 viewsCamberleyR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:16 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Latymer are moving from Wood Lane. I doubt we could afford it now though.

Their playing fields? As plots of land go, that would be ideal.
Where are they moving those to?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:29 - Sep 25 with 2193 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:24 - Sep 25 by CamberleyR

Their playing fields? As plots of land go, that would be ideal.
Where are they moving those to?

Yes, I forget where they said they were looking at, green reasons were stated (bus journeys) but reading between the lines I think they realised with the new development work in the Bush, Wood Lane is now a prime piece of real estate.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:30 - Sep 25 with 2190 viewskernowhoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 03:14 - Sep 24 by Hoopsie

I am wondering what the club would do to add facilities that generate revenue that give all year round usage

Facilities - corporate boxes (existing - renovated and / or new ones added)
- company functions
- seminars and talks
- wedding receptions
- local communities social events

These can be accommodated in South Africa stand due to street front access and traffic flow

Pitch - not sure we really want other usages other than sporting ones (pitch maintenance etc)
- international football matches or other friendlies, cup matches
- other sports - rugby, cricket, baseball, American football / Aussie rules, bocce, lawn bowl, softball
- music festivals
- boxing matches
- exhibition?
- community function - farmers market? Antique fairs?

If school land is purchased we could build a variety of function rooms and conference halls for these events, also maybe specific uses such as
- boutique hotel / guest serviced apartment / Travelodge
- restaurant and cafes / dining halls for catering
- 24 hour fitness centre / gymnasium for local based membership
- theaterette
- QPR museum (Heston?) / hall of fame incorporating QPR club & gift shop (relocated)
- day care centre?
- multimedia hub - reading room / internet
- community multipurpose hall for hire
Probably an auxiliary building or a building annex connected to SA stand and/or school stand

If there is room for remodelling the stand we could convert the school stand into a semi-open amphitheatre by adding a mobile stage (retractable under the stand?) with its double tiers stand holding the audience which can host a variety of events such as
- concerts, song / singing contests
- staging plays and pantomimes
- choral events and oratory presentations
- open cinema
- seminars (fans forum, Ted talks etc)

Ok I think I should stop now 😬
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 3:17]

But, Hoopsie, staging pantomimes is not a new idea at Loftus Road, is it?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:45 - Sep 25 with 2142 viewsqueensparker

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:29 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Yes, I forget where they said they were looking at, green reasons were stated (bus journeys) but reading between the lines I think they realised with the new development work in the Bush, Wood Lane is now a prime piece of real estate.

Interesting, didn't know that.

As someone who used to score goals and take wickets (mainly the latter) at a much more decrepit Wood Lane many decades ago I'm not sure it would be big enough for a football stadium.

More hideous glass towers from Imperial College incoming I expect
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:56 - Sep 25 with 2101 viewswombat

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:57 - Sep 25 by QPR_Jim

The box office and club shop are open more than 30 days a year so assume that's just for on pitch activities.

Do you think the 30 day restriction is why we immediately exit all the cup competitions, to keep the council on side?

yes its for on pitch activitys , used to be a member of QPR1st commitee years ago and it was something which came up a few times when the question was aksed about using the ground more than on match days not sure if its still in place

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:59 - Sep 25 with 2096 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:45 - Sep 25 by queensparker

As someone who used to score goals and take wickets (mainly the latter) at a much more decrepit Wood Lane many decades ago I'm not sure it would be big enough for a football stadium.

I though that, but if you remember the long walk from the old pavillion to the far pitch its a fair distance.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:37 - Sep 25 with 2007 viewsCamberleyR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:45 - Sep 25 by queensparker

Looking on Google maps, at a rough estimate, to me the Latymer playing fields plot looks about 30-40% bigger than the plot LR sits on. For one thing it's certainly bigger than the plot the LCS sits on.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024