Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possible January signings. 08:48 - Dec 13 with 31071 viewsSnipper

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but will Marti possibly raid his old club, or other Swedish/Nordic clubs for players?

He obviously knows what we need and what budget he’ll have.

January should be interesting.
Possible January signings. on 00:47 - Dec 15 with 3718 viewsstainrods_elbow

Possible January signings. on 09:57 - Dec 14 by aston_hoop

Hopefully someone identified by the recruitment guys rather than Cifuentes himself. Lets not be making the same mistake of bringing in the managers boys, thats not how successful clubs of our size at this level work. I do recall on the podcast he was on recently, he certainly played down raiding the Scandi leagues and played up the role of recruitment so maybe we're learning. If there is another free transfer of Reggie Cannon's standing out there, great. If not, so be it.

In case you've forgotten, our DoF walked, and we now have a CEO who knows nothing about football apparently covering all bases. Quite honestly, with the track record we have with bringing in players for as long as I care to remember, I'd far rather Marti and his assistant were on the job than our entire 'recruitment team' put together.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 0:48]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Possible January signings. on 11:09 - Dec 15 with 3465 viewslassel

Possible January signings. on 22:38 - Dec 14 by Northernr

I'd think that a long way down the list of priorities. It's astonishing we've got Cannon at all, let alone back up.

What budget they have (if any) will surely be spent at the top end of the pitch, in the loan market. We've tried to do a season with Dykes, Armstrong, Kolli and Kelman as our strikers. We're lucky we're not relegated already.

I mean of course, we have no money so a backup RB is a luxury we can’t afford so we have to spend any money we do have on attacking threat.

What that means though is that we will ultimately have to go all Harry Redknapp and throw some games by starting Kakay as Cannnon can’t do 40+
Possible January signings. on 11:24 - Dec 15 with 3444 viewsEsox_Lucius

Possible January signings. on 13:45 - Dec 14 by Hunterhoop

I don’t that’s a good interpretation of facts, E17. We had far more possession second half because Plymouth had 10 men for the whole 45, and they sat deep and compact giving us the ball in front of them. Of course your central midfield should have loads of touches. In the first half they played with 11 for a big chunk of it, and they still continued to play up the pitch for the whole half.

I’d wager way more more than half of Dozzell’s touches came in the second half.

That means he had far fewer (percentage wise) when both were on the pitch together, reflecting the opinions stated in my post.

And for all those touches he would have had in the second half, how many chances did he create? Hardly any to my mind. EDB came on and created more, as did Smyth.

And if we were to look at challenges won or free kicks won…?

We’re giving him a soft out. Field is still significantly better as an all rounder midfielder. Just because Dozzell might have improved in recent weeks doesn’t mean he’s playing at a high enough level or impacting games more than Field.

Field has had three weak games in a row now and it is my opinion that he isn't really suited at the moment to how Marti wants to play, this may of course change. His defensive work is above criticism but in possession he is a definite weak link as it stands.
Rather than make disparaging comments based on guesswork, try watching the 90 mins on the offish and revisit your specific criticisms of Dozzell. You are correct that his numbers went up in the second half as almost all switches of play and balls into channels came from him. he was very close to scoring too.
In an ideal world we would have a hybrid of Field and Dozzell in that position (Samba Diakité?) as Dozzell's weakness is winning headers but he is less likely to get turned than Field. The criticism of him is both blinkered and unjust IMO this season. I'll trust MC's faith in him and, as pointed out above, I think that position will become Dixon-Bonner's going forward as he looks a very good player so far but that doesn't make Dozzell a bad player, or not worth his place.

The grass is always greener.

Possible January signings. on 11:37 - Dec 15 with 3416 viewsdmm

Possible January signings. on 11:09 - Dec 15 by lassel

I mean of course, we have no money so a backup RB is a luxury we can’t afford so we have to spend any money we do have on attacking threat.

What that means though is that we will ultimately have to go all Harry Redknapp and throw some games by starting Kakay as Cannnon can’t do 40+

Why do you say Cannon can't do 40+ games a season? He's had a couple of injuries in his career but nothing serious that I can see.

FWIW, although he makes mistakes as all footballers do, I don't think Kakay is that bad as cover.
Possible January signings. on 11:58 - Dec 15 with 3346 viewsQPRConor2000

I think its pretty obvious we need another Striker, especially as Dykes is our only senior option in that position.

I think when the window opens next month it will probably be loans to get us through to the summer, after that we will see a major rebuild come our way as our FFP situation improves
Possible January signings. on 12:13 - Dec 15 with 3308 viewsBklynRanger

I noticed in that recent podcast Smyth described Dykes as the best header of a ball at the club and how he's trying to use him 'while he's here'.

(Some of those crosses could use him a bit better Paul but apart from that) - made me wonder if there was some reason the squat Ulsterman would put it like that - could be Dykes is talking about moving in January. Or could be nothing.

Think all of our meagre resources need to be focused on the penalty box either way.
Possible January signings. on 12:56 - Dec 15 with 3238 viewslassel

Possible January signings. on 11:37 - Dec 15 by dmm

Why do you say Cannon can't do 40+ games a season? He's had a couple of injuries in his career but nothing serious that I can see.

FWIW, although he makes mistakes as all footballers do, I don't think Kakay is that bad as cover.

Because Cannon hadn’t played for 6+ months, is clearly still trying to get fit and so can’t do 3 games a week for the next couple of months, which means we will have to write off 1/3rd of the Xmas/Jan period with Kakay.
Possible January signings. on 13:17 - Dec 15 with 3179 viewsdmm

Possible January signings. on 12:56 - Dec 15 by lassel

Because Cannon hadn’t played for 6+ months, is clearly still trying to get fit and so can’t do 3 games a week for the next couple of months, which means we will have to write off 1/3rd of the Xmas/Jan period with Kakay.

Whereas I understand the point you are trying to make, you are over-egging your argument.

We don't have 3 games a week for the next couple of months. It works out to 12 games over 2 months.

Cannon hadn't played for 3.5 months and not 6+ months when he first played for us.

Why would we have to "write off 1/3rd of the Xmas/Jan period with Kakay"? We don't automatically lose games when he plays.
Login to get fewer ads

Possible January signings. on 13:54 - Dec 15 with 3074 viewsgazza1

If we do not sign a forward(s), one that scores & assists, I would class that as a failure.....and probably mean life will be very difficult for the rest of the season. The Manager will have a list of forwards that will do the job.

Dykes needs to be sold, Kelman needs to be released/sold (probably at the end of the season) or sent out on a loan, Armstrong needs to be loaned out as well, the others are not good enough and probably never will be.
Possible January signings. on 14:32 - Dec 15 with 2995 viewsDavieQPR

Possible January signings. on 14:48 - Dec 14 by DannyPaddox

Top knowledge, I never knew that rule. I shall inform my Spuds mucker.

I believe it's a Calendar Year and not a season. Also hasn't played a competitive game for Spurs. Trouble is he doesn't score goals. Four in 47 games on loan at Ipswich and Portsmouth ( last Season).
Possible January signings. on 17:56 - Dec 15 with 2839 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Possible January signings. on 00:47 - Dec 15 by stainrods_elbow

In case you've forgotten, our DoF walked, and we now have a CEO who knows nothing about football apparently covering all bases. Quite honestly, with the track record we have with bringing in players for as long as I care to remember, I'd far rather Marti and his assistant were on the job than our entire 'recruitment team' put together.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 0:48]

Field. Willock. Paal. Cannon.

Four uncontroversial recent successful signings.

Dixon-Bonner. Lakarche. Smyth (twice).

Three more youngish players signed and doing ok. This is all before we get to players that are doing ok but not spectacular that make up the majority of all Championship squads.

Let’s not exaggerate!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 19:14]
Possible January signings. on 18:19 - Dec 15 with 2764 viewsnumptydumpty

Yep think we may get some form of centre forward and a player either side that can cross a ball and play out wide.

Certainly need another midfielder and I feel one other centre back.

But reckon all we will get is a striker from the Swedish league.

I personally would bring in Tim Iroegbaenum, unlikely get games for Villa whilst they challenging for the Champions League on loan. Dozzell not great also Colback average, Field is having a poor season so far and Dixon Bonner still building his experience. Definitely room for another one.

Centre back I would take Harry Maguire on loan from Manchester United.
And if anyone thinks that last statement is serious suggestion.. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Possible January signings. on 21:29 - Dec 15 with 2568 viewsstainrods_elbow

Possible January signings. on 17:56 - Dec 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Field. Willock. Paal. Cannon.

Four uncontroversial recent successful signings.

Dixon-Bonner. Lakarche. Smyth (twice).

Three more youngish players signed and doing ok. This is all before we get to players that are doing ok but not spectacular that make up the majority of all Championship squads.

Let’s not exaggerate!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 19:14]

Willock is going back three years now, and Field two and a half, so you're pushing realistic definitions of 'recent'. Like Chrissy W, Paal blows hot and cold for me, so I'd say 'half-decent'. Cannon's start has been a bit stop-start, though he looks promising. Dixon-Bonner I've always liked, and he's showing signs off stepping up to the plate.

But, equally, or indeed more significantly, I give you Roberts, Richards, Iroegbunam, Gray, Dykes, Bonne, Thomas, Amos, Travelman, Hendrick, Sanderson . . . all brought in (or heavily contracted), all have not/did not deliver/ed and/or under-delivered. And people still insist on a DoF model as if it were some kind of footballing sacrament, which palpably doesn't work and hasn't worked, especially when teamed with a youth/academy development that isn't fit for purpose.

We now at least have a 1st team coach, finally, who looks like he knows what he's doing, though it's taken forever to get us here. Let's hope he sticks around for more than five minutes and drags us back onto our footballing feet before Leeds come calling.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 21:29]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Possible January signings. on 21:50 - Dec 15 with 2539 viewsflynnbo

We're beginning to get options in defence and midfield as we're now coaching them properly and employing squad players getting them used to being in and around the first X1. However, we seriously need competition with the goalkeeping position because Archer does not inspire me with much confidence when I watch him in the pre-match warm up. Finally, we're woefully up front if Dykes is unavailable as he's vital in defence as well as attack.
Possible January signings. on 02:01 - Dec 16 with 2379 viewsNed_Kennedys

Possible January signings. on 13:54 - Dec 15 by gazza1

If we do not sign a forward(s), one that scores & assists, I would class that as a failure.....and probably mean life will be very difficult for the rest of the season. The Manager will have a list of forwards that will do the job.

Dykes needs to be sold, Kelman needs to be released/sold (probably at the end of the season) or sent out on a loan, Armstrong needs to be loaned out as well, the others are not good enough and probably never will be.

So your plan would be get all our forwards out of the club, and no doubt somehow replace with three or four better forwards. Not real world thinking I’m afraid.
Possible January signings. on 04:08 - Dec 16 with 2330 viewsloftupper

Possible January signings. on 21:29 - Dec 15 by stainrods_elbow

Willock is going back three years now, and Field two and a half, so you're pushing realistic definitions of 'recent'. Like Chrissy W, Paal blows hot and cold for me, so I'd say 'half-decent'. Cannon's start has been a bit stop-start, though he looks promising. Dixon-Bonner I've always liked, and he's showing signs off stepping up to the plate.

But, equally, or indeed more significantly, I give you Roberts, Richards, Iroegbunam, Gray, Dykes, Bonne, Thomas, Amos, Travelman, Hendrick, Sanderson . . . all brought in (or heavily contracted), all have not/did not deliver/ed and/or under-delivered. And people still insist on a DoF model as if it were some kind of footballing sacrament, which palpably doesn't work and hasn't worked, especially when teamed with a youth/academy development that isn't fit for purpose.

We now at least have a 1st team coach, finally, who looks like he knows what he's doing, though it's taken forever to get us here. Let's hope he sticks around for more than five minutes and drags us back onto our footballing feet before Leeds come calling.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 21:29]

The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle though. Some good signings over the years that showed some consistency of style akin to a plan and some that appear to be more likely manager led.

Is it possible that the problem was not solely down to the ability of the DoF but that he was overridden by the execs time and time again.

Is it also not true that the youngsters are showing some good form under Furlong? Out of interest how long do you think it takes to implement a good youth policy and from age group would you start? Could it be that the club are only now starting to see the benefits of the work that was done
Possible January signings. on 04:15 - Dec 16 with 2315 viewsMatch82

Possible January signings. on 09:48 - Dec 14 by derbyhoop

I've put my hand in my pocket and found some spare cash.
If we all do the same we might raise £500.
I wonder what sort of striker we can get for that.

Anybody got Jamie Cureton's number?
Possible January signings. on 06:35 - Dec 16 with 2220 viewscyprusmel

Possible January signings. on 04:15 - Dec 16 by Match82

Anybody got Jamie Cureton's number?

To late for that one Match82, Jamie retired from playing on 7th October at the age of 48.
He made 1067 appearances scoring 389 goals.
Last season he guided Enfield to the Essex Senior league title and promotion to the 8th tier Isthmian League.
Now a coach at Maldon and Tiptree also in the Isthmian League.
Played for 20 different clubs some more than once.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2023 6:41]
Possible January signings. on 07:16 - Dec 16 with 2173 viewsderbyhoop

Possible January signings. on 13:54 - Dec 15 by gazza1

You must believe in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy if you think those are realistic options.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Possible January signings. on 17:09 - Dec 16 with 1848 viewslassel

Possible January signings. on 13:17 - Dec 15 by dmm

Whereas I understand the point you are trying to make, you are over-egging your argument.

We don't have 3 games a week for the next couple of months. It works out to 12 games over 2 months.

Cannon hadn't played for 3.5 months and not 6+ months when he first played for us.

Why would we have to "write off 1/3rd of the Xmas/Jan period with Kakay"? We don't automatically lose games when he plays.

At the risk of being ‘that guy’, this post unfortunately has to be quoted after today…

We can’t afford to keep having Kakay on the pitch and giving away the points.
Possible January signings. on 18:29 - Dec 16 with 1736 viewsLblock

This squad desperately needs three, maybe four players

You’re only going one way if you’re relying on Kackay, Dozzell and Dykes

I just don’t see us making signings though and that will mean almost certain relegation

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Possible January signings. on 18:57 - Dec 16 with 1695 viewsdmm

Possible January signings. on 17:09 - Dec 16 by lassel

At the risk of being ‘that guy’, this post unfortunately has to be quoted after today…

We can’t afford to keep having Kakay on the pitch and giving away the points.

So you presumably blame Kakay for the two goals we conceded. Having watched the game and Sky's highlights, I didn't see any specific errors by him that led to the goals scored against us.

Kakay isn't good enough as a first choice FB but given our financial predicament, he's okay as cover. And I'd again point out that we don't automatically lose when he plays.
Possible January signings. on 19:06 - Dec 16 with 1673 viewslassel

Possible January signings. on 18:57 - Dec 16 by dmm

So you presumably blame Kakay for the two goals we conceded. Having watched the game and Sky's highlights, I didn't see any specific errors by him that led to the goals scored against us.

Kakay isn't good enough as a first choice FB but given our financial predicament, he's okay as cover. And I'd again point out that we don't automatically lose when he plays.

I would advise you to watch the 30 minutes he was on the pitch. Constantly out of position, giving the ball away, passed round with ease and effectively targeted by Wednesday.

That in addition to the two goals he could’ve/should’ve gifted Plymouth mid week.

It’s impossible to say he is ‘ok as cover’ when he is catastrophically below the standard needed to play at this level and weakens the team exponentially when he comes on. We simply aren’t good enough to carry players.
Possible January signings. on 21:51 - Dec 16 with 1490 viewsTommyQPR

Possible January signings. on 14:32 - Dec 15 by DavieQPR

I believe it's a Calendar Year and not a season. Also hasn't played a competitive game for Spurs. Trouble is he doesn't score goals. Four in 47 games on loan at Ipswich and Portsmouth ( last Season).

He played for them in the League Cup.
Possible January signings. on 09:00 - Dec 17 with 1286 viewsgazza1

Possible January signings. on 02:01 - Dec 16 by Ned_Kennedys

So your plan would be get all our forwards out of the club, and no doubt somehow replace with three or four better forwards. Not real world thinking I’m afraid.

I would sign forwards, 100%. If we signed only forwards (all available monies) I would not have a problem with that providing they were right. Not sure we have much better than 1st/2nd division forwards at the club currently.

What would you do???
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024