Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Concept album 23:11 - Jun 9 with 1998 views222gers

Generally thought to have started in the progrock era but in my collection I have two from the mid-fifties : West Coast Suite by Mel Torme which is about, well, the West Coast of the USA, and Just Strike A Match by April Ames which is an album about cigarettes ( I kid you not) .
Favourite concept albums anyone ?

The Concept album on 23:46 - Jun 9 with 1690 viewshubble

I think you could make a case for the concept album going back much earlier, to say Debussy's La Mer (The sea, three symphonic sketches for orchestra) premiered 1905 - An orchestral interpretation of the moods of the sea, the three parts running at around 24 minutes in total - it's a kind of proto concept album. And absolutely incredible, to boot.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

The Concept album on 00:43 - Jun 10 with 1646 viewsCiderwithRsie

One for the ageing hippies, but my favourite concept album is Hawkwind's Space Ritual. Would have loved to have seen the shows.
The Concept album on 02:21 - Jun 10 with 1608 viewsBoston

As the years roll by, I become less and less of a Who fan but, Tommy, boring as fck to me now, though still a 'concept'.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Concept album on 07:32 - Jun 10 with 1526 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lots of Metal ones I like but my favourite non-metal one is 'Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake' by the Small Faces.

Brilliant and all linked by the dulcet tones of Stanley Unwin "what ho Mandy what ho!"

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Concept album on 07:36 - Jun 10 with 1515 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Nearly all of Frank Sinatras albums in the 1950s were concept albums.

His album from 1955 'in the wee small hours' dealt with love, failed relationship etc and was recorded during his marriage breakdown with the lovely, though nuts, Ava Gardner.
Not the most cheery of Sinatra albums, but it is a bona-fide classic.
The Concept album on 07:57 - Jun 10 with 1486 viewswelwynranger

Emerson Lake and Palmer
Pictures at an Exhibition

Mike Oldfield
Tubular Bells

The Beatles
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Concept album on 08:39 - Jun 10 with 1442 viewsdmm

The Concept album on 00:43 - Jun 10 by CiderwithRsie

One for the ageing hippies, but my favourite concept album is Hawkwind's Space Ritual. Would have loved to have seen the shows.

Stacia brought a certain added attraction to most Hawkwind gigs.
The Concept album on 09:07 - Jun 10 with 1385 viewsFDC

'One Pig' by Matthew Herbert. Real toe tapper
Login to get fewer ads

The Concept album on 09:13 - Jun 10 with 1390 views222gers

The Concept album on 02:21 - Jun 10 by Boston

As the years roll by, I become less and less of a Who fan but, Tommy, boring as fck to me now, though still a 'concept'.

Of course the first Who album was based on My Generation and called Hope I Die Before I Go Bald.
The Concept album on 09:16 - Jun 10 with 1382 viewsDiscodroids

Man, i love the artwork on those Krautrock '70's concept albums.

Love this Vangellis Cover also..

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

The Concept album on 09:42 - Jun 10 with 1352 viewsCateLeBonR

The Kinks are the village green preservation society is probably the one i’ve listened to most over the years.

The Concept album on 10:17 - Jun 10 with 1315 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The concept album coincided with the introduction to Punk. Two extremes of approach. I always viewed Punk as a big V Sign to all that at the time (I was about 13) but things seemed very black and white or binary back then. You liked one or the other. Nowadays, I guess kids are exposed to so much they seem to like lots of different styles of music. Which is, of course, a good thing.
The Concept album on 12:05 - Jun 10 with 1224 viewsDannyPaddox

Virginia Belmont. I’m not sure who she is but I imagine like Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard she lives (lived?) in an old dilapidated mansion on the outskirts of Los Angeles. Her only companions, birds of every colour and description. Her mission in life to bring about world peace via the recordings of her loyal feathered friends.

The Concept album on 16:13 - Jun 10 with 1090 viewsSheffieldHoop

Plan B - The Defamation of Strickland Banks

Also Plan B - Ill Manors, although since the film got made, it's been classed as a Soundtrack

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

The Concept album on 18:24 - Jun 10 with 1024 viewsDorse

Marillion's 'Misplaced Childhood ' stands up well (even though I think 'Clutching At Straws', a reflection on fame and excess, is far better).

Primus 'The Desaturating Seven'. Is a belter. But then I would say that.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Concept album on 18:42 - Jun 10 with 991 viewsqpr_1968

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The Concept album on 18:47 - Jun 10 with 983 viewsjoe90

MF Doom - Operation Doomsday.

Not a massive hip-hop fan, but love this album.
The Concept album on 19:33 - Jun 10 with 949 viewsdmm

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon hasn't been mentioned yet which is a surprise. It could be described as the pinnacle of the rock concept album. I think it's true that the concept was inspired by Syd Barrett's declining mental state.

I rarely listen to it now but when it came out in 1973 everyone was spell bound by it. I'll never forget seeing Pink Floyd perform it at Earls Court in the same year it came out.
The Concept album on 20:53 - Jun 10 with 885 viewsrbee

When it comes to Pink Floyd I watch the later live performances rather than listen to the albums.

My favourite concept album and favourite Elton John album is Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy.

The Concept album on 21:08 - Jun 10 with 866 viewscolinallcars

A big fav of mine is A Salty Dog by Procol Harum.
Brilliantly orchestrated and played with R L Stevenson style lyrics.
The Concept album on 21:30 - Jun 10 with 848 viewscolinallcars

The Concept album on 19:33 - Jun 10 by dmm

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon hasn't been mentioned yet which is a surprise. It could be described as the pinnacle of the rock concept album. I think it's true that the concept was inspired by Syd Barrett's declining mental state.

I rarely listen to it now but when it came out in 1973 everyone was spell bound by it. I'll never forget seeing Pink Floyd perform it at Earls Court in the same year it came out.

Atom Heart Mother wasn't well received but I love the lengthy opening track. It falls away with a whimper after that but I still play it on occasion.

Ps….who was it that said “ hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way “ quoted on Dark Side Of The Moon ?
[Post edited 10 Jun 21:33]
The Concept album on 05:19 - Jun 11 with 729 viewsFDC

The Concept album on 21:30 - Jun 10 by colinallcars

Atom Heart Mother wasn't well received but I love the lengthy opening track. It falls away with a whimper after that but I still play it on occasion.

Ps….who was it that said “ hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way “ quoted on Dark Side Of The Moon ?
[Post edited 10 Jun 21:33]

I think it's taken from Thoreau

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things"
The Concept album on 15:07 - Jun 11 with 596 viewsR_from_afar

There are so many crackers out there, but here are three of my favourites:

Mei, by Echolyn. A single track prog epic which is haunting, melodic, bombastic yet at times melancholic, with an orchestral feel.

Six, by Mansun. So much going on, a chameleon of an album, full of twists and turns.

Map of the past, by It Bites. John Mitchell, a producer/singer/guitarist, decided he was such a big fan of It Bites that he would attempt to revive the band, a band which jacked it when their front man/singer/guitarist left to pursue a solo career. The chemistry between Mitchell and stalwart and creative genius John Beck was excellent and this is the second of the two albums the reanimated band produced. Full of singalong hooks and unexpected instrumental passages, yet still boasting the It Bites sound, this is the better of the two, I reckon. It was inspired by some old family photos Mitchell stumbled across.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Concept album on 17:13 - Jun 11 with 548 viewsQPRSteve

The Concept album on 21:24 - Jun 11 with 469 viewsqprxtc

Three proper concept albums I love

Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues
In Search of the Lost Chord - The Moody Blues
The War of the Worlds - Jeff Wayne

All superb.

XTC’s Skylarking album was a concept album in intention if not in execution.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024